The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
December 17, 2017, 03:02:01 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: SLAB CITY ; Salton Sea - Steampunk or no?  (Read 1296 times)
Hurricane Annie
Zeppelin Captain
New Zealand New Zealand

« on: December 14, 2014, 02:40:12 am »

Slab City at the Salton sea abandoned military installation in California. Is it Steampunk  and / or does it have steampunk potential.

http://edgem21.blogspot.co.nz/2011/12/slab-city.html

https://www.flickr.com/photos/slworking/sets/72157621960805804/

https://cdn1.gbot.me/photos/pl/vc/1334261682/-Slab_City__Niland__Califo-20000000002762688-500x375.jpg

« Last Edit: December 14, 2014, 02:48:23 am by Hurricane Annie » Logged
Hurricane Annie
Zeppelin Captain
New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2014, 03:00:19 am »

More history of the place

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slab_City

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Salton_Sea

http://content.time.com/time/nation/article/0,8599,2105597,00.html

http://www.slabcity.org/history.asp

http://blogs.reuters.com/photographers-blog/2012/03/06/on-the-edge-of-reality/

http://www.natedamm.com/slab-city-why-im-going-back-and-a-brief-history/

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/slab-city-a-desert-haven-for-recessions-victims/

Atterton
Time Traveler

Only The Shadow knows

« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2014, 03:07:19 am »

How is that in any way steampunk?

Resurrectionist and freelance surgeon.
Hurricane Annie
Zeppelin Captain
New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2014, 03:18:49 am »

How is that in any way steampunk?

It could be seen as a Sign O' the Times . A population  that has developed a new society built on  rising from the ashes of  the old  mainstream lifestyle that has burst at  its seams and combusted.

It could be  the way of life in the  future utilizing the waste and detritus of the past "throw away "  society.

It represents  a renewed  and rebirthed cycle of life based on the recycling ,  reinvention and rejuvenation of elements of the  past.
VampirateMace
Zeppelin Captain
United States United States

Mein Hexapod

« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2014, 03:42:59 am »

I remember hearing about that place, potential, I'd say. There's nothing strictly steampunk about an abandon city... until some steampunks move in and start renovating.

Hurricane Annie
Zeppelin Captain
New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2014, 03:48:34 am »

I remember hearing about that place, potential, I'd say. There's nothing strictly steampunk about an abandon city... until some steampunks move in and start renovating.

It is an intriguing place.

No doubt there are more of these  "underground " landscapes being used by the alternative societies.

pakled
Zeppelin Captain

Minions Local 305, at your thervice!

« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2014, 04:58:18 am »

Post-Apocolyptic, maybe...Wink
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

"This is the sort of thing no-one ever believes"

rtafStElmo
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2014, 05:01:11 pm »

That's what I was thinking. Not really steampunk, or perhaps it could serve as a movie set for a slice of life from a world where steam could conceivably be in the background providing power to run generators for the lights and stuff. The problem I have with that is that if it's post-apocalyptic, and they're using the leftovers of past civilization, wouldn't they be more likely to use the internal combustion tech that civilization had?

Yeah, I know, I'm thinking too much...

Walk softly and carry a big banjo...

""quid statis aspicientes in infernum"
Hurricane Annie
Zeppelin Captain
New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2014, 06:39:40 pm »

That's what I was thinking. Not really steampunk, or perhaps it could serve as a movie set for a slice of life from a world where steam could conceivably be in the background providing power to run generators for the lights and stuff. The problem I have with that is that if it's post-apocalyptic, and they're using the leftovers of past civilization, wouldn't they be more likely to use the internal combustion tech that civilization had?

I will stand corrected if I am wrong- but would not steam be a more convenient means  of power than say  a non renewable fuel such as petroleum or gas that would rely on a easily accessible source  and refinery. On a small scale a boiler or furnace may be  a more efficient means of running  a small encampment.
Dr. Nikola
Officer

« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2014, 10:29:30 pm »

Interesting but not my idea of steampunk.
Great setting for a horrible monster movie though!
Cf. The Monster that Challenged the World - considered by many cinematic experts as the best monster movie ever set in the Salton Sea.
Favorite line, "Better send someone to investigate the bottom of the sea, before somebody else gets killt. (sic)"
Hurricane Annie
Zeppelin Captain
New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2014, 11:12:30 pm »

Interesting but not my idea of steampunk.
Great setting for a horrible monster movie though!
Cf. The Monster that Challenged the World - considered by many cinematic experts as the best monster movie ever set in the Salton Sea.
Favorite line, "Better send someone to investigate the bottom of the sea, before somebody else gets killt. (sic)"

Were a  few of those "horror" movies from back then that revolved around swamps set there ?

They were great. Amazon women, swamp things,  giant squid, jungle beasts, crazed missionaries, cocaine smugglers.
J. Wilhelm
╬ Admiral und Luftschiffengel ╬
Board Moderator
Immortal

Sentisne fortunatum punkus? Veni. Diem meum comple

« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2014, 11:46:43 pm »

I agree.  In spirit perhaps compatible, but not until you populate it with inhabitants of a Steampunk version of Mad Max.

Mad Maximilian: Beyond Crystal Dome (1885)

*Lady Entity*
"Gentlemen:  you know the rules.  Two chaps enter, one chap leaves."
« Last Edit: December 14, 2014, 11:53:18 pm by J. Wilhelm » Logged

Atterton
Time Traveler

Only The Shadow knows

« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2014, 12:04:24 am »

That movie should feature a car chase scene, with two steam-driven cars where each of them has a man waving a red flag walking in front.
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

rtafStElmo
« Reply #13 on: December 15, 2014, 02:11:25 am »

I will stand corrected if I am wrong- but would not steam be a more convenient means  of power than say  a non renewable fuel such as petroleum or gas that would rely on a easily accessible source  and refinery. On a small scale a boiler or furnace may be  a more efficient means of running  a small encampment.

Unfortunately for both steam and I-C engnes, there's the problem of lubrication...
J. Wilhelm
╬ Admiral und Luftschiffengel ╬
Board Moderator
Immortal

Sentisne fortunatum punkus? Veni. Diem meum comple

« Reply #14 on: December 15, 2014, 02:17:39 am »

I will stand corrected if I am wrong- but would not steam be a more convenient means  of power than say  a non renewable fuel such as petroleum or gas that would rely on a easily accessible source  and refinery. On a small scale a boiler or furnace may be  a more efficient means of running  a small encampment.

Er... The real problem is that steam is usually generated by burning non-renewable fuels.  Steam is only an energy transport and storage medium.  Once IC engines were developed, these new engines were smaller and lighter and you can carry your fuel with you, whereas a steam engine is very heavy and suitable for either very powerful engines like a locomotive, or in stationary settings, where the additional weight of the boiler water and steam is not am issue.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2014, 02:27:41 am by J. Wilhelm » Logged
Hurricane Annie
Zeppelin Captain
New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #15 on: December 15, 2014, 06:35:47 am »

I will stand corrected if I am wrong- but would not steam be a more convenient means  of power than say  a non renewable fuel such as petroleum or gas that would rely on a easily accessible source  and refinery. On a small scale a boiler or furnace may be  a more efficient means of running  a small encampment.

Er... The real problem is that steam is usually generated by burning non-renewable fuels.  Steam is only an energy transport and storage medium.  Once IC engines were developed, these new engines were smaller and lighter and you can carry your fuel with you, whereas a steam engine is very heavy and suitable for either very powerful engines like a locomotive, or in stationary settings, where the additional weight of the boiler water and steam is not am issue.

Rags and old armchairs would make an easy fuel for burning.
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

rtafStElmo
« Reply #16 on: December 17, 2014, 06:56:08 am »

Sooner or later, they'll run out, though, not to mention the tendency of people to seek power over others and to exert and express it through luxury - "lookit this nice throne I've got! They was gonna burn it, see? But I flexed my poltit'ickle muscles and here I sits."

That kind of thing. And then, one day, the burnables run out...
Hurricane Annie
Zeppelin Captain
New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #17 on: December 17, 2014, 07:30:11 am »

Sooner or later, they'll run out, though, not to mention the tendency of people to seek power over others and to exert and express it through luxury - "lookit this nice throne I've got! They was gonna burn it, see? But I flexed my poltit'ickle muscles and here I sits."

That kind of thing. And then, one day, the burnables run out...

then we have a whole 'nother movie ....
Patron Zero
Gunner

« Reply #18 on: December 17, 2014, 11:54:06 am »

Just my two pence but I don't see what's essentially a caravan park as SP by definition of such.

Mind were the actual accommodations of a SP nature that would be a different thing entirely.

"I carry the dust of a journey that cannot be shaken away....."
Hurricane Annie
Zeppelin Captain
New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #19 on: December 19, 2014, 12:17:01 am »

Just my two pence but I don't see what's essentially a caravan park as SP by definition of such.

Mind were the actual accommodations of a SP nature that would be a different thing entirely.

Some photo shoot shots and movie scene stills from the  Salton  Sea area.

The Elverocket

from the original flooding in  1905

creagmor
Zeppelin Captain
South Africa South Africa

« Reply #20 on: January 02, 2015, 01:40:27 am »

Quite a few years ago I first encountered Slab City in one of Sue Grafton's detective novels, but have never seen any images until now. looks interesting, and except for a lack of power and water I might consider living there. I'm new fashioned enough to like these conveniences and too old to adapt to any realistically viable alternatives.   

“Love is an emotional thing, and whatever is emotional is opposed to that cold true reason which I place above all things.” Sherlock Holmes, in The Sign of Four.
Hurricane Annie
Zeppelin Captain
New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #21 on: January 02, 2015, 02:00:49 am »

Quite a few years ago I first encountered Slab City in one of Sue Grafton's detective novels, but have never seen any images until now. looks interesting, and except for a lack of power and water I might consider living there. I'm new fashioned enough to like these conveniences and too old to adapt to any realistically viable alternatives.   

The place does fire the imagination.   The world is dotted with former military installation, naval base, airfield, hospital complexes ,  meat works dairy factories etc  that could work well  as alternative living sites  or post apocalyptic  refuges.

There could well be more outland societies out there under the radar.
creagmor
Zeppelin Captain
South Africa South Africa

« Reply #22 on: January 03, 2015, 03:35:08 pm »

Your comments bring to mind various TV programs noting those who have bought redundant Missile silos which they have converted into comfortable looking domiciles. Although I have never watched a series entitled Doomsday Preppers, no doubt they have reviewed some viable shelters; though probably none of the SP variety.   
Hurricane Annie
Zeppelin Captain
New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #23 on: January 03, 2015, 09:53:33 pm »

Your comments bring to mind various TV programs noting those who have bought redundant Missile silos which they have converted into comfortable looking domiciles. Although I have never watched a series entitled Doomsday Preppers, no doubt they have reviewed some viable shelters; though probably none of the SP variety.   

I have seen a couple of those shows. They are more of the paranoid survivalist variety.  The invoke a strong sense of claustrophobia and entrapment rather than a sense of freedom and sanctuary. 

They are drab concrete confining spaces that make  radiation sickness or enslavement by a foreign or alien  invasion force  a more inviting option.

None of the shelters or escape to the wilderness plans  are ever deemed  viable by the experts   and are  invariably judged as  a greater risk to survival  than  going with the flow.

The TV shows are interesting from a anthropological and psychological point.
Alexis Voltaire
Rogue Ætherlord

Shàlle We Dànce?

« Reply #24 on: January 04, 2015, 01:16:52 am »

The Accidental Sea

A short video about the Salton Sea; possibly my favorite video on youtube and IIRC made by the author of 'Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children'.

~-- Purveyour of Useless Facts, Strange Advice, Plots --~
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: