The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
October 23, 2017, 01:50:03 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Steampunk business type card  (Read 824 times)
Aubreay Fallowfield
Snr. Officer
United Kingdom United Kingdom

« on: December 11, 2014, 01:50:49 pm »

Having been stopped on numerous occasions and asked what we are doing I was thinking of creating some business cards that we can give to people to explain in a REALLY basic manner what steampunk is. Maybe even think of it with possibly a twitter type boundary with say only 140 characters or so.

So what would you put as an explanation as to why you are walking around the streets dressed as fabulously as you are?

Tis' bona to vada your dolly old eke.
Michael Farley
Zeppelin Captain

mgfarley
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2014, 03:18:26 pm »

Funnily enough, this came up yesterday. My bosses were showing somebody new around the office. I happened to have a box of leather-working and sewing tools and materials on my desk (I make stuff whenever I have free time at work). This started a whole conversation about what I'm working on and they asked the newby if they knew what steampunk was.

When she said she didn't know, I was asked to explain it. The best I could come up with on the spot was "Science-fiction set during and inspired by Victorian and Edwardian technology, society and aesthetics". I also mentioned how it started as a literary sub-genre but has developed into a whole community.

walking stick
Zeppelin Admiral
England England

« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2014, 06:38:16 pm »

The best I've used is -
Itinerant Retro Futurist.  Science Fiction in Victorian and Edwardian styles with some odd pieces from my travels through time.
Hurricane Annie
Zeppelin Captain
New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2014, 12:23:26 am »

Mine has a vintage military inspiration,  a simple font and wingding icon, with a feminine hint to it.

Rory B Esq BSc
Snr. Officer

« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2014, 03:34:52 pm »

I'm not sure how much information you could get on a business card, perhaps a better option would be a small booklet (A7 size). That would give you about 12 pages plus the cover from a sheet of A4 but fit into a wallet, purse or pocket.
In fact I'm working on writing such a 'Little book of Steampunk, a guide for the steam-curious' as I would find it useful when people ask me what is Steampunk?
So some of us are thinking along similar lines. I have an A4 sheet about Steampunk that I put on my stall explaining the basics, how it influences what I create and so on. That helps people get an idea of what I'm selling.
Inflatable Friend
Zeppelin Admiral
Italy Italy

« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2014, 06:38:18 pm »

The best concise summing up of steampunk has to come from a recent Key and Peele sketch.

Steampunk, it's Jules Verne and shit.

Otherwise I'd go for little things like;

Yesteryear's tomorrows.

Science Fiction with tea, top hats and big dresses.

Vicwardians in spaaaaaaaaaace!!

The world of the future according to a gentler era

Or if I was feeling bitter

The world of tomorrow seen through the rose tinted apologist glasses of a past that never was.
Aubreay Fallowfield
Snr. Officer

« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2014, 08:50:59 pm »

Ooo. I like science fiction with tea, top hats and big dresses
Richard Hoover
Deck Hand
Canada Canada

« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2014, 12:44:09 am »

I like the sound of your "Little Book of Steampunk" Rory.  What specifically do you include in it, if you don't mind my asking.  I'm curious.

My novel Satin and Sutherland: The Golden Curse is available now!  Check out my website www.sealeftstudios.com for a sample, trailers, and more.
Maets
Immortal
United States United States

Gravatar

Airship Builder

« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2014, 04:15:48 am »

Retro Futurist
Retro Futurism

Sludge Van Diesel
Zeppelin Captain
England England

SteampunkDJ.co.uk

« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2014, 04:05:23 pm »

I'm sure there was a thread on here about this before.  Can't for the life of me find it though.

Better to study for one hour with the wise, than to drink wine with the foolish

www.steampunkdj.co.uk  Please follow me on Twitter https://twitter.com/SteampunkDJ & Facebook https://www.facebook.com/steampunkdj
Rory B Esq BSc
Snr. Officer

« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2014, 06:25:36 pm »

I like the sound of your "Little Book of Steampunk" Rory.  What specifically do you include in it, if you don't mind my asking.  I'm curious.

Here is my 'working outline',

The main influences that drive it, Verne, Wells, Tesla etc.
That it explores 'what if's' creating an alternative timeline where you can fix it with a spanner.
That it should be fun and creative.
That is is extremely open and accepting (you don't have to have a 'full outfit' to be made welcome).
Some examples of different strands of Steampunk
A Steampunk spotters guide (how to tell an Airship pirate from a mad inventor or champion tea dueller).
Useful resources (Obviously BG top of the list).
Patron Zero
Gunner

« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2014, 10:01:15 am »

My two pence worth would be to suggest the inclusion of embossing and die-cutting to enhance the simple cards presence.

Perhaps a physical simple imprint-stamping of a gear configuration to one corner might be a nice touch, that or say a silhouette created by a punching of shapes to achieve such.

Mind it adds to the cost but even the addition of said silhouette as 'framing' or accent as a layered effect might be considered.

"I carry the dust of a journey that cannot be shaken away....."
Atterton
Time Traveler

Only The Shadow knows

« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2014, 12:12:24 pm »

I would suggest a more proactive approach. Get yourself a nice edition of 20,000 Leagues Under The Sea and go up to people saying: "Excuse me sir, do you have a moment to talk about our saviour Jules Verne?"

Resurrectionist and freelance surgeon.
Maets
Immortal

Gravatar

Airship Builder

« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2014, 02:11:28 pm »

I would suggest a more proactive approach. Get yourself a nice edition of 20,000 Leagues Under The Sea and go up to people saying: "Excuse me sir, do you have a moment to talk about our saviour Jules Verne?"

I like that idea!
frances
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #14 on: December 14, 2014, 11:15:48 pm »

I like the idea of a spotters guide.  A picture with witty notes at the ends of arrows pointing to relevant bits of equipment.  Maybe someone with an artistic bent could do one here as an example.
Maets
Immortal

Gravatar

Airship Builder

« Reply #15 on: December 14, 2014, 11:21:03 pm »

I liked it so much that I just bought a copy on ebay!
Patron Zero
Gunner

« Reply #16 on: December 16, 2014, 05:57:15 am »

Another thought might be a business card or such facsimile with an inserted 35mm slide displaying either objects or persons of such 'heritage'.

Mind the cleverest adaptation of that would be said cards bound and folded that when fully 'expanded', would form a wearable cardboard stereo-optican of sorts.  Said inserted 'slides' easily swapped out for wider display of collected images.
Rory B Esq BSc
Snr. Officer

« Reply #17 on: December 16, 2014, 12:38:38 pm »

Now I've got the image of someone with a 'the end of the world is neigh' sign quoting HG Wells on a street corner.
yereverluvinunclebert
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #18 on: December 17, 2014, 04:12:22 am »

How about a credit/debit card look?

Lightquick - Steampunk Widgets and Icons of Some Worldwide Repute
Hurricane Annie
Zeppelin Captain
New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #19 on: December 18, 2014, 11:27:47 pm »

Now I've got the image of someone with a 'the end of the world is neigh' sign quoting HG Wells on a street corner.

Expounding to all that a steampunk apocalypse is  about to be upon us and we should all be collecting cogs now!

Somebody somewhere will be building a giant  zeppelin  to rise above the toxic clouds and pounding oceans.

http://kissesandchaos.com/2011/50-things-to-do-during-the-post-apocalpyse/

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: