The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
November 22, 2017, 02:43:04 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Support BrassGoggles! Donate once or $3/mo.
 See details here.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 [19]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Introduce yourself (Mk. III)  (Read 27672 times)
J. Wilhelm
╬ Admiral und Luftschiffengel ╬
Board Moderator
Immortal
United States United States

Sentisne fortunatum punkus? Veni. Diem meum comple

« Reply #450 on: September 15, 2017, 11:38:00 pm »

The electronics is just using a binary counting system. Binary means there are two. So two numbers bedore you get to the next row. In our regular system (Arab) we've got ten. So 01, 02 ... 09 and then we move to 11 and start over. I remember translating form one system to another in high school. Quite a pain in the ass. At that point my parents probably saw me as a future ingeneer or sth.. I want to become a fashion designer at the moment so there is some construction after all.. A binary scale is when there are two categories which exclude each other. And everything falls in one of those. Gender was traditionally perceived as a binary division: you are either male or female- nothing in between or outside this. But not everyone can find themselves as one of those. Nin binary = not one of the two. Linguistically it comes from latin prefixes pointing at number. Bi = there are two. You've got binary systems, bilingual people, bisexuals, bicycles, binoculars... But Wells was writing about tripods.

Quantum computing is not limited to just 0 and 1, so maybe gender could be a seen as a quantum superposition of the two 'traditional' states; that way you could have any combination you wished and indeed have multiple states existing at exactly the same time  Roll Eyes. Actually, that might explain my perpetual quantum fuzziness...

Yours,
Miranda.

But a quantum computation model also assumes that you can have more than one gender state at a time. And also that of you as a quantum system, can change gender spontaneously depending on whether you are being observed...  And don't get me started on "gender wave function collapse"  Grin

Mr.Fancypants
Deck Hand

« Reply #451 on: September 16, 2017, 12:00:29 am »

Hi folks! My name is Brad and I am located in South Florida (U.S.A.)  I have always been interested in the steampunk sensibility bit have finally decided to take the plunge into making my own costume.  Hope to see some interesting/inspiring content on this site!
J. Wilhelm
Board Moderator
Immortal

« Reply #452 on: September 16, 2017, 05:56:32 am »

Hi folks! My name is Brad and I am located in South Florida (U.S.A.)  I have always been interested in the steampunk sensibility bit have finally decided to take the plunge into making my own costume.  Hope to see some interesting/inspiring content on this site!

Welcome to the forum Brad! I'm glad to see that one of out Floridian Steampunks is alright after Hurricane Irma. Hopefully the storm did not discombobulate your life too much.
Elderdryas
Deck Hand

« Reply #453 on: September 26, 2017, 01:32:20 am »

Absalom Ezra Parsons, gentleman, entrepreneur, and owner of the Falcon Post, all your mail, when you need it, where you need it.

Absalom Ezra Parsons gentleman, entrepreneur, founder of the Falcon Post, all your mail when you need it where you need it
Caledonian
Zeppelin Admiral
Netherlands Netherlands

the dragon's called Salmacis

« Reply #454 on: September 26, 2017, 11:59:46 am »

Absalom Ezra Parsons, gentleman, entrepreneur, and owner of the Falcon Post, all your mail, when you need it, where you need it.

welcome!

"Crazy pseudo-scot living in a fantasy world"
Xenos
Zeppelin Admiral
Sudan Sudan

Capt of the "AO Victoria," Cdr of the Aeronauts!

« Reply #455 on: October 30, 2017, 11:28:49 am »

Ladies and gentlemen of the Arena, after an eternity away, I have returned.

Jack of Blades Xenos is back.

Been 2 years since I was last here. In that time, the man you once knew died, and has risen from the ashes of his funeral pyre.

I've had a go of it, mates. Most of my troubles I brought on myself, to be certain.

I can't say I'm back to stay. Nor can I say I'm even good company. But I am alive, for them what care. I'm DIAGNOSED crazy now, and borderline institutionalized. But I AM alive.

Them what weren't here back in the day, I'm Xenos Markus O'Sullivan. You can call me Xenos, Sully, or X. I am not a maker. I consume. I do not create. I destroy. I am the one your mother warned you about. I'm the guy who's been there, done that, and will tell you it is NOT worth it.

I'm dark.  

I am the Burned Man.

But I'm alive. And I'm trying my damnedest to right the wrongs I've done. I've done a lot of wrong, though.

So yeah.  My energy is spent at last and all my armor is destroyed. I have used up all my weapons, and I'm helpless and bereaved. Did I hear you say that this is victory?
« Last Edit: October 30, 2017, 12:26:08 pm by Xenos » Logged

Don't let these shakes go on, it's time we had a break from it. Send me to the rear! Where the Tides of Madness swell, and men sliding into Hell...

Oh please don't let these shakes go on...
Banfili
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

« Reply #456 on: October 30, 2017, 12:43:00 pm »

Way to go! Xenos is back - missed you, dark knight!
Nephele
Zeppelin Captain

MISTRESS OF NAMES

« Reply #457 on: October 30, 2017, 08:09:29 pm »

Welcome back, Xenos!  Life leaves us all a bit weathered but wiser, I guess.  Cool to see you here again!

J. Wilhelm
Board Moderator
Immortal

« Reply #458 on: October 30, 2017, 11:27:56 pm »

Welcome back Xenos. Better back and weathered than not at all!
Xenos
Zeppelin Admiral
Sudan Sudan

« Reply #459 on: October 31, 2017, 01:25:09 am »

Thanks fellas.  Not sure how active I'll be, but if nothing else I'll lurk around and whatnot, see how the community is doing, etc..
annevpreussen
Gunner

Captain Annemarie of the Eagle's Arrow Airship

« Reply #460 on: October 31, 2017, 03:18:15 pm »

This is a silly question, but Banfili and Xenos, where did you get your avatars? They look like they were made at the same place (and tbh I'm super jealous)

I wear goggles so you can't see when I'm staring at you.
Xenos
Zeppelin Admiral
Sudan Sudan

« Reply #461 on: October 31, 2017, 03:41:39 pm »

This is a silly question, but Banfili and Xenos, where did you get your avatars? They look like they were made at the same place (and tbh I'm super jealous)

Gaia Online, many years ago. They had a site you could make the avatar without joining, but that's long gone.
Banfili
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

« Reply #462 on: November 01, 2017, 12:34:49 am »

Same place, I think. But there are some sites out there that will still let you do something yourself. I made a couple of different ones and stored them away. Some days I look at them & think I'll change, but always come back to the same one!
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 [19]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: