The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
November 24, 2017, 05:05:58 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Support BrassGoggles! Donate once or $3/mo.
 See details here.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 [18] 19   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Introduce yourself (Mk. III)  (Read 27720 times)
J. Wilhelm
╬ Admiral und Luftschiffengel ╬
Board Moderator
Immortal
United States United States

Sentisne fortunatum punkus? Veni. Diem meum comple

« Reply #425 on: August 13, 2017, 09:53:13 pm »

Good evening one and all,

Well with less than two weeks to Asylum In Lincoln and having lurked these ethereal alleys and closes like a Victorian footpad I thought it might be polite to introduce myself.

My name is John, I'm 58 (only just, so shall be applying for immediate steam-geezer status!). I live with her Ladyship in Her Britannic Majesty's favourite corner of Scotland, namely the Shire of Aberdeen.   The Harley is for the bike I ride, one of Messer's Harley & Davidsons fine products. The Asylum will be the Mem Sahib's and my first dip into Steampunk live action as it were although we have both been aware of Steampunk for quite a while. We are both fans of Science Fiction, Fantasy & Gothic Horror and I would also add Charles Dickens, Arthur Conan-Doyle & Philip Jose Farmer among others into my influences.
So if you stumble upon two weary travellers in Lincoln whose apparel may appear somewhat haphazard pray indulge us dear gentlefolk of the good ship steampunkia, for we are but waifs seeking aid and help as we take our first faltering steps to a brave new tomorrow - Huzzah!!

Welcome aboard John! HMS Steampunkia is ready for some more helping hands! Sounds like you will have fun interacting with Steampunks in person. Be sure to share with us your experience at the Asylum!

I remain AYS,

Adm. J. Wilhelm
United States Airship Orca

trapdoxr
Swab

« Reply #426 on: August 20, 2017, 04:40:24 am »

Hello everyone! my name is Apollo, i live in the US, and i've been into steampunk for quite a while now. my everyday style (like going to school and out and stuff) has always been a rather victorian vintage and steampunk, and lately i have been trying to more steampunk style. i mostly joined this form because I really want to learn more about the background of steampunk, further than just the amazing style. I am a studying to be a science major and a writer minor. I have a bunch of steampunk fiction writing that i've done, and i am completely in love with the style. I also love making random things with random moving parts, and taking things apart so i can put them back together differently. so ya, im mostly here to learn more about it, and get more in the community, as i dont really know anyone else that's into steampunk, so i would love to make some friends! (also i need people to go to convention with).

cheers! Smiley
trapdoxr
Swab

« Reply #427 on: August 20, 2017, 04:49:06 am »

also if someone could PM me more about this website and how to get more involved and stuff like that i would really appreciate it! thx <3
J. Wilhelm
Board Moderator
Immortal

« Reply #428 on: August 20, 2017, 05:45:42 am »

Hello everyone! my name is Apollo, i live in the US, and i've been into steampunk for quite a while now. my everyday style (like going to school and out and stuff) has always been a rather victorian vintage and steampunk, and lately i have been trying to more steampunk style. i mostly joined this form because I really want to learn more about the background of steampunk, further than just the amazing style. I am a studying to be a science major and a writer minor. I have a bunch of steampunk fiction writing that i've done, and i am completely in love with the style. I also love making random things with random moving parts, and taking things apart so i can put them back together differently. so ya, im mostly here to learn more about it, and get more in the community, as i dont really know anyone else that's into steampunk, so i would love to make some friends! (also i need people to go to convention with).

cheers! Smiley

Welcome to the forum Mr. Trapdoxr / Apollo! You might be able to make contact with local steampunks if you more or less disclose your location (your geeneral area of the United States) at the "Geographical" section of the forum, where people tend to list events.

Quick history review on Steampunk (I don't know if this helps or I'm just telling you things you already know):

Steampunk is originally a literary movement (like saying "mystery novels" or "horror novels") based around the idea of anachronistic science fiction mostly centered around a 19th. C. aesthetic - typically the period or Queen Victoria (1837-1901) or the period of the American expansion into the West. Steampunk has been with us since the middle 20th. C. at least. Some examples are Disney's adaptation of Jules Verne novels and the 1960s TV American series "Wild Wild West." But nobody really knows "when it started."

The term Steampunk was coined by Sci-Fi author KW Jeter around 1987 as a "tongue in cheek" name to refer to Victorian Era style Sci Fi. Probably a lot of people see the works of Jules Verne like "Twenty-Thousand Leagues Under the Sea" as good inspiration for the style of fiction.

By the 1990s the movement attracted people from Goth backgrounds who started dressing the part of Steampuk characters. By the early 2000s, the Maker and DIY movements got involved and started making props and novelties based on the style. By the late 2000s, fans of the genre, realising that the Industrial Revolution actually was spread throughout the whole globe in the 19th. C., caused the movement to spread outside of the English speaking world into Europe, and by the early 2010s it exploded all over Latin America as well. Japan followed suit as well, more or less one year after Steampunk exploded in Mexico (based on the idea that the Meiji Period corresponds to the period when Westernisation and the industrial revolution arrived in Japan). China and other East Asian nations as well as Africa, however, have very little following, if at all.

*End of history lesson*  Grin

Otherwise, you primary function in Steampunk is to have fun with it and not take it too seriously! Again, welcome to the forum! The monkey butler will show you to your quarters.

Adm. J. Wilhelm
USAS Orca
Kitty Palatine
Swab

United Kingdom United Kingdom

« Reply #429 on: August 24, 2017, 09:02:47 am »

Good morning,

I thought I'd enter the wonderful world of steampunk, and make this forum my first outing.

Name of Kitty Palatine (Lucinda in the boring world).  Born and raised in Cheshire, now residing in South Oxfordshire.  38 years old, married and mother to a demonic midget who i adore, but I do wonder where the hell she came from.

Looking to make a proper foray into steampunk, and hope to eventually attend some meets or events in the future (guineas willing!).  Just for now looking to meet fellow travelers who can help me find my way in this wonderful new world, and to get back into forum life after being away from one for so long.
Cmdr. Storm
Officer

« Reply #430 on: August 24, 2017, 09:55:33 am »

Welcome Kitty,Please Make Yourself at Home in the Realm of Wonder,Wildness,and Coolness that is Steampunk! Pardon my saying so,but Your Sign in Name Sounds Purr-Fect Grin Grin Grin Hope You enjoy Yourself and Don't Be Afraid to PM or Message Anyone Here! We're All Welcoming Here!
annevpreussen
Gunner

Captain Annemarie of the Eagle's Arrow Airship

« Reply #431 on: August 26, 2017, 04:22:52 pm »

Good morning and welcome to our weird, wonderful world of steampunk, Kitty! We'd all be thrilled to help you explore steampunk a bit more, so have fun and dive in! I'm looking forward to seeing you around!  Cheesy

I wear goggles so you can't see when I'm staring at you.
Constance helene
Swab

« Reply #432 on: August 29, 2017, 10:58:07 am »

Helloooo  Grin im new here and everywhere  Tongue  where do i start.steampunk has fascinated me for a while,i took the plunge and went to lincoln,liked it so much i went back a second day. Im hooked,where do i start,what to do next someone point me in the right direction

Curiouser and curioser
von Corax
Squire of the Lambda Calculus
Board Moderator
Immortal
Canada Canada

Prof. Darwin Prætorius von Corax

« Reply #433 on: August 29, 2017, 01:09:12 pm »

Hello, Constance helene, and welcome. Where does one start? Well, which aspect of Steampunk is most interesting to you? If you're not sure of the answer, browse our archives and see what tickles your fancy.

By the power of caffeine do I set my mind in motion
By the Beans of Life do my thoughts acquire speed
My hands acquire a shaking
The shaking becomes a warning
By the power of caffeine do I set my mind in motion
The Leverkusen Institute of Paleocybernetics is 5838 km from Reading
Miranda.T
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #434 on: August 30, 2017, 06:17:35 pm »

Dear Kitty & Constance,

Welcome both to the wonderful world of BrassGoggles! Kitty, it seems you are not a million miles away from us here in the West Midlands; you may wish to have a look at the West Midlands Steampunk Assembly thread here on BrassGoggles (http://brassgoggles.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,41782.0.html) or the FaceBook page (https://www.facebook.com/groups/112830022111733/) for news on events. Constance, I would echo von Corax's observation that some particular aspect of SteamPunk that particularly appeals to you (be that costume, craft, literature, etc.) would make a good stepping off point, and you are almost certain to find a thread or two (depending on the topic, possibly two hundred...) dedicated to it here.

Yours,
Miranda.
Kitty Palatine
Swab

« Reply #435 on: September 06, 2017, 05:00:44 pm »

Thank you all for the kind welcomes. I appreciate it
CyanideCandy
Deck Hand
Poland Poland

« Reply #436 on: September 08, 2017, 12:38:25 pm »

Hello... I hope it's ok to make a long introduction... I'm not forcing you to read it all but I just feel need to do this "properly"..
1. My real story.

I'm Cyan Candy. Most of my friends just call me either Cyan or Candy. Not my real names but I prefer to go by these. I'm 25, from Poland. I'm non-binary (don't like to reveal my biological sex if I don't really have to).
How I got into Steampunk... Well... In my teenage years I've been attracted to subcultures. I think it was for their seemingly critical attitude towards reality. I always liked to think outside the box. Of course I was quite dissapointed to realize that the subcultures themselves became just "alternative schemes" to follow.
I was in love with visual kei aesthetics and hung out mostly with local punks. I wasn't rich so I started to learn some DIY.
Later, during my university studies, my style have already become more ecclectic and conscious. I liked to mix vintage elements into my outfits. The general fascination with the nineteenth-century fashion and history resulted in my choice of Master thesis: that way (almost two years ago) I started to work on a dissertation about Victorian dress in subcultures (which covers Steampunk, Goth and Lolita). Getting deeper into the community (reading books and articles, joining facebook groups and meeting some people) got me to the conclusion that I really belong in Steampunk. My interests, attitudes, aesthetic tastes... I'm probably too "post-modern" to be "just the steampunk and nothing more" but I really feel that I could be a part of this community.

2. My Steampunk persona
-I decided to create my persona only recently so it's not yet well developed.. But generally many features are based on my real personality.
Cyan Candy Worth (yea same name and the last name after that designer)
Was born an aristocrat but the family lost the fortune cause of some intrigues. Cyan avoids using the title though, mostly because titles are gendered and they are non-binary. Enjoys eccentique fashion plays (costume dress-ups, wearing male and female fashions interchangeably or mixing these, flamboyant or dark grotesque outfits). Loves art and good literature. Often seen in art galleries and at the parties/social events where displays great manners and a decent level of education (as for their age) but during the week has to work hard for the living. Cyan is convinced that they're a fallen angel trapped in a human body- one of the reasons why the parents wanted to place them in mental asylum in the past. Used to be emotionally unstable and masochistic as well but learnt to control it (grown up a bit?). The first impression is that of a cold and difficult person but in closer relationship can actually be very caring (in their own way) or even passionate. Is very demanding and critical (hardly judgemental) and is trying to live up to the high values.
-ugh. what do you think? makes sens?
annevpreussen
Gunner

Captain Annemarie of the Eagle's Arrow Airship

« Reply #437 on: September 08, 2017, 02:51:59 pm »

Hello and welcome to BG, Cyan!

I think your thesis sounds really interesting, and I would love to read it sometime, or at least talk about your conclusions! I wish I could incorporate steampunk into my own studies, but there isn't much room for that as a biology major XD If you think you belong in steampunk, you probably do, and we welcome you and your post modernism  Grin

Your persona Cyan's story sounds just as exciting as your real-life story. And it makes sense to me! I'm excited to see more of Cyan around this forum  Cheesy

Oops, and one last thing-- are they/them pronouns okay for you?
Miranda.T
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #438 on: September 08, 2017, 06:25:12 pm »

Dear CyanideCandy,
A very warm welcome to the forum! I know from first hand experience that the members of this forum and the wider Steampunk community are wonderfully accepting, with (so long as one follows the normal rules of decorum of course) no-one laying down the law about should and should not be done (aside from a general displeasure at people who go no further than 'just sticking a cog on it and calling it Steampunk'  Wink).

If you wish to see some of the discussions had here on, amongst many other things, alternative gender paths, please have a look over at the 'Queer Gear' thread in Meta-clubs. Oh, and I absolutely agree with your steam persona - extravagant adventures in fashion are a wonderful way to spend a weekend  Cheesy.

Yours,
Miranda.
CyanideCandy
Deck Hand
Poland Poland

« Reply #439 on: September 08, 2017, 11:40:35 pm »

Thank you for all the warmth I can already feel <3

@Anne: I don't feel very confident about anything I do or write.. But I could share my thesis when it's finished. It should be done by the end of September.
Sure. I prefer neutral pronouns (they/them). Thanks for asking. *smiles a little but feels stupid smiling in front of strangers*

@Miranda: I haven't got enough time yet to go through all the topics but I will definitely look for queer gear section.. and fashion.. Yea.. I'm learning to sew myself.. Slowly cause time, money, space issues but step by step I'm going somewhere..  I hope...
Cmdr. Storm
Officer

« Reply #440 on: September 09, 2017, 12:50:34 am »

Welcome & Hope you have a Great Time Here,Don't be Afraid to Message me if You want to Talk other than posting Direct. Stay Cool & Enjoy Yourself.
CyanideCandy
Deck Hand
Poland Poland

« Reply #441 on: September 09, 2017, 01:01:02 am »

@Cmdr. Storm: Thank you. A message... I feel tempted. I really want to make some friends here.
Especially my alter-ego is feeling quite lonely cause was recently developed in this form and didn't manage to "get a life" yet. I'd love to have some conversations at the border of worlds/ realities.
J. Wilhelm
Board Moderator
Immortal

« Reply #442 on: September 09, 2017, 04:59:38 am »

Hello... I hope it's ok to make a long introduction... I'm not forcing you to read it all but I just feel need to do this "properly"..
1. My real story.

I'm Cyan Candy. Most of my friends just call me either Cyan or Candy. Not my real names but I prefer to go by these. I'm 25, from Poland. I'm non-binary (don't like to reveal my biological sex if I don't really have to).
How I got into Steampunk... Well... In my teenage years I've been attracted to subcultures. I think it was for their seemingly critical attitude towards reality. I always liked to think outside the box. Of course I was quite dissapointed to realize that the subcultures themselves became just "alternative schemes" to follow.
I was in love with visual kei aesthetics and hung out mostly with local punks. I wasn't rich so I started to learn some DIY.
Later, during my university studies, my style have already become more ecclectic and conscious. I liked to mix vintage elements into my outfits. The general fascination with the nineteenth-century fashion and history resulted in my choice of Master thesis: that way (almost two years ago) I started to work on a dissertation about Victorian dress in subcultures (which covers Steampunk, Goth and Lolita). Getting deeper into the community (reading books and articles, joining facebook groups and meeting some people) got me to the conclusion that I really belong in Steampunk. My interests, attitudes, aesthetic tastes... I'm probably too "post-modern" to be "just the steampunk and nothing more" but I really feel that I could be a part of this community.

2. My Steampunk persona
-I decided to create my persona only recently so it's not yet well developed.. But generally many features are based on my real personality.
Cyan Candy Worth (yea same name and the last name after that designer)
Was born an aristocrat but the family lost the fortune cause of some intrigues. Cyan avoids using the title though, mostly because titles are gendered and they are non-binary. Enjoys eccentique fashion plays (costume dress-ups, wearing male and female fashions interchangeably or mixing these, flamboyant or dark grotesque outfits). Loves art and good literature. Often seen in art galleries and at the parties/social events where displays great manners and a decent level of education (as for their age) but during the week has to work hard for the living. Cyan is convinced that they're a fallen angel trapped in a human body- one of the reasons why the parents wanted to place them in mental asylum in the past. Used to be emotionally unstable and masochistic as well but learnt to control it (grown up a bit?). The first impression is that of a cold and difficult person but in closer relationship can actually be very caring (in their own way) or even passionate. Is very demanding and critical (hardly judgemental) and is trying to live up to the high values.
-ugh. what do you think? makes sens?

Dear Mx. Cyanide Candy

*Wohoo! Another non-binary! Ahem, composes zimself*

You're not the only one. I'm Gender Fluid (though I never called myself that until very recently - I'm older (relatively speaking -nearly twice your age) and the LGBQT+ nomenclature is somewhat confusing for someone my age. By all means do come and make an introduction at the Queer Geer section! http://brassgoggles.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,48140.0.html

By the way -I have TWO alter egoes; I have a cisgender alter ego (Admiral Wilhelm) I started in 2009 and a more recent, non-binary alter ego, Lt. General Julin Bahlmann, see this page: http://brassgoggles.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,35457.msg981130.html#msg981130

I never had a problem with my birth gender (male) and my sexual orientation (attracted to females), so I mostly go by my "cisgender" pronouns (he/him) if that makes sense, and for non-binary terms I prefer to call myself /use "ze/zim/zis," because I find these words much easier to use than other gender non-binary terms (English is not my native language so I like to keep things clear).

However, I've had the inclination to express my feminine side since the onset of puberty, and nowadays if people get confused or call me "ma'am" I actually get a smile from it (happened today too from a customer and a pair of homeless people in the street who placed a $5 wager on my gender  Grin If I can get people confused that means I'm doing something right Grin

I've only recently (about 4 years ago) decided to open up and express that to the outside world, apart from a very few family members who knew since I was 18 or so... So for me, Steampunk - as mentioned by Ms. Miranda - has provided an avenue for expression. I'm tentatively writing a novel based on these two alter egoes...

Please feel very welcome to the forum!

I'm at your service

Admiral Johannes Wilhelm a/k/a Lt. Gen. Julin Wodinaz Bahlmann
United States Airship Orca
CyanideCandy
Deck Hand
Poland Poland

« Reply #443 on: September 09, 2017, 09:31:48 pm »

Hey J. Wilhelm (is that what I should call you?). Nice to meet you. I'm going to write some more about my perspective on gender and stuff in the Queer Gear group (thanks for sharing) as that place seems more proper for continuing with this topic. I hope we will talk some more soon.
J. Wilhelm
Board Moderator
Immortal

« Reply #444 on: September 10, 2017, 06:31:48 am »

Hey J. Wilhelm (is that what I should call you?). Nice to meet you. I'm going to write some more about my perspective on gender and stuff in the Queer Gear group (thanks for sharing) as that place seems more proper for continuing with this topic. I hope we will talk some more soon.

Yes, I usually go by Wilhelm or J. Wilhelm, but can call me anything (as long as it's not an insult  Grin ). Yeah feel free to visit us. I'll be hanging around....

J. W.
Banfili
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

« Reply #445 on: September 10, 2017, 01:17:39 pm »

I was asked on a Uni survey the other day was I Male, Female or Non-Binary - Non-Binary? 1, 0, or ?
« Last Edit: September 10, 2017, 01:22:31 pm by Banfili » Logged
von Corax
Squire of the Lambda Calculus
Board Moderator
Immortal
Canada Canada

Prof. Darwin Prætorius von Corax

« Reply #446 on: September 10, 2017, 05:34:25 pm »

I was asked on a Uni survey the other day was I Male, Female or Non-Binary - Non-Binary? 1, 0, or ?
In tristate electronics, it would be written as 0, 1 or Z. Make of that what you will.
CyanideCandy
Deck Hand
Poland Poland

« Reply #447 on: September 12, 2017, 11:28:19 am »

The electronics is just using a binary counting system. Binary means there are two. So two numbers bedore you get to the next row. In our regular system (Arab) we've got ten. So 01, 02 ... 09 and then we move to 11 and start over. I remember translating form one system to another in high school. Quite a pain in the ass. At that point my parents probably saw me as a future ingeneer or sth.. I want to become a fashion designer at the moment so there is some construction after all.. A binary scale is when there are two categories which exclude each other. And everything falls in one of those. Gender was traditionally perceived as a binary division: you are either male or female- nothing in between or outside this. But not everyone can find themselves as one of those. Nin binary = not one of the two. Linguistically it comes from latin prefixes pointing at number. Bi = there are two. You've got binary systems, bilingual people, bisexuals, bicycles, binoculars... But Wells was writing about tripods.

J. Wilhelm
Board Moderator
Immortal

« Reply #448 on: September 15, 2017, 05:34:40 am »

In tristate electronics, it would be written as 0, 1 or Z. Make of that what you will.

Huh Neural Networks are Queer?  Grin  Cheesy

« Last Edit: September 15, 2017, 05:39:33 am by J. Wilhelm » Logged
Miranda.T
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #449 on: September 15, 2017, 11:24:10 pm »

The electronics is just using a binary counting system. Binary means there are two. So two numbers bedore you get to the next row. In our regular system (Arab) we've got ten. So 01, 02 ... 09 and then we move to 11 and start over. I remember translating form one system to another in high school. Quite a pain in the ass. At that point my parents probably saw me as a future ingeneer or sth.. I want to become a fashion designer at the moment so there is some construction after all.. A binary scale is when there are two categories which exclude each other. And everything falls in one of those. Gender was traditionally perceived as a binary division: you are either male or female- nothing in between or outside this. But not everyone can find themselves as one of those. Nin binary = not one of the two. Linguistically it comes from latin prefixes pointing at number. Bi = there are two. You've got binary systems, bilingual people, bisexuals, bicycles, binoculars... But Wells was writing about tripods.

Quantum computing is not limited to just 0 and 1, so maybe gender could be a seen as a quantum superposition of the two 'traditional' states; that way you could have any combination you wished and indeed have multiple states existing at exactly the same time  Roll Eyes. Actually, that might explain my perpetual quantum fuzziness...

Yours,
Miranda.
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 [18] 19   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: