The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
October 18, 2017, 08:44:50 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 [16] 17 18 19   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Introduce yourself (Mk. III)  (Read 27023 times)
annevpreussen
Gunner
United States United States

Captain Annemarie of the Eagle's Arrow Airship

« Reply #375 on: March 13, 2017, 06:37:55 pm »

AdventureDepot, I agree with Caledonian; what an amazing photo! May I ask what program(s) you used to edit it? It looks almost like photochrom.

I wear goggles so you can't see when I'm staring at you.
MeoT
Swab

England England

« Reply #376 on: March 16, 2017, 09:29:16 pm »

Hi all, my name is Mike. New to the forum but love steampunk so thought I'd drop in and say hiya!

Caledonian
Zeppelin Admiral
Netherlands Netherlands

the dragon's called Salmacis

« Reply #377 on: March 17, 2017, 12:10:19 pm »

Hi all, my name is Mike. New to the forum but love steampunk so thought I'd drop in and say hiya!

Hiya! Welcome to the forums! What's your favourite aspect of steampunk?

"Crazy pseudo-scot living in a fantasy world"
mahava
Swab

« Reply #378 on: March 21, 2017, 05:22:35 pm »

Hi! I'm definitely new around here. Y'all can all me Ran (or whatever based on my username as well, Ran's just a general nickname my friends use that I like!) I've been treading into the Steampunk wold for a little while and I've finally given in and I'm here to fall down the rabbit hole!
John_R_Isadore
Swab

« Reply #379 on: April 10, 2017, 02:46:33 am »

Salutations! Call me John. I'm a student, husband, father, and writer. My goals are to learn game programming so that I can turn my stories into games that everyone can enjoy. I've written two novels so far and a small assortment of short stories. I'm writing a new story right now and I'm hopeful that it will turn out nicely.

Other hobbies include roleplaying, Overwatch, reading books to people, and eating expensive food.

I'm hoping to make some good friends while I'm here.
J. Wilhelm
╬ Admiral und Luftschiffengel ╬
Board Moderator
Immortal

Sentisne fortunatum punkus? Veni. Diem meum comple

« Reply #380 on: April 10, 2017, 05:48:53 am »

Salutations! Call me John. I'm a student, husband, father, and writer. My goals are to learn game programming so that I can turn my stories into games that everyone can enjoy. I've written two novels so far and a small assortment of short stories. I'm writing a new story right now and I'm hopeful that it will turn out nicely.

Other hobbies include roleplaying, Overwatch, reading books to people, and eating expensive food.

I'm hoping to make some good friends while I'm here.

Welcome to the forum John! I think you'll find your place in the Textual and Aural Ocular sections. I myself am dabbling in writing a historical-based Steampunk story, but as a complete novice, with my only writing feather in my cap being to get to climb the stage at a discussion panel talking with Michael Moorcock at the Steampunk Release party in Austin (1 of two parties) a few years back (I'm "John Wilhelm" in the text below).

http://www.tor.com/2011/05/12/austin-steampunk-bible/

Not knowing how to approach it, I started by writing the alternate historical background first then I came up with the principal characters (my current stage), and from the geopolitical environment, the individual plots will arise.

~ ~ ~

Hi! I'm definitely new around here. Y'all can all me Ran (or whatever based on my username as well, Ran's just a general nickname my friends use that I like!) I've been treading into the Steampunk wold for a little while and I've finally given in and I'm here to fall down the rabbit hole!

Welcome to the forum Ran! So, do you want to know what it is? Steampunk is all around us. Even in this very room, You can see it when you look out your window. You can see it when you go to work. When you go to church. When you pay your taxes. Unfortunately no one can be told what Steampunk is. You have to see it for yourself.

You know there is no turning back yes? If you take the blue pill you wake up tomorrow in your bed and you believe whatever you want to believe. If you take the red pill you get to stay in Wonderland and I show you how deep the rabbit hole goes...

Blue Pill or Red Pill - The Matrix (2/9) Movie CLIP (1999) HD

~ ~ ~

Grin

JW

Algernon Dalrymple Smythe
« Reply #381 on: April 10, 2017, 08:22:35 am »

Greetings

In the 21st century I am Chris...largely retired, former archaeologist,  one time Theatre Nurse, Paranormal investigator and published author

I think I gravitated to the steampunk world in an attempt to enliven the banalities and colourless world of the 21st century, somewhere that I really don't fit

and so my alter ego Algernon Dalrymple Smythe came into being.... Army Officer (India), Archaeologist, Adventurer and intelligencer

Logged in to see what was on the board - and indeed to see if it was still up and running....etc etc etc

I started writing a steampunk novel but it seemed to twist away into a just pre WW1 - yes archaeology, army (Flying Corps) spying....but with Vampires and Werewolves thrown in.....oh well who wants a boring life anyway Cool
SeVeNeVeS
Immortal
England England

« Reply #382 on: April 10, 2017, 09:46:16 am »

Greetings

In the 21st century I am Chris...largely retired, former archaeologist,  one time Theatre Nurse, Paranormal investigator and published author

I think I gravitated to the steampunk world in an attempt to enliven the banalities and colourless world of the 21st century, somewhere that I really don't fit

and so my alter ego Algernon Dalrymple Smythe came into being.... Army Officer (India), Archaeologist, Adventurer and intelligencer

Logged in to see what was on the board - and indeed to see if it was still up and running....etc etc etc

I started writing a steampunk novel but it seemed to twist away into a just pre WW1 - yes archaeology, army (Flying Corps) spying....but with Vampires and Werewolves thrown in.....oh well who wants a boring life anyway Cool
Welcome aboard the good ship BG my good man.

I'm slightly curious about Paranormal investigator, off topic is always there if you care to share more details, anyway..............

Caledonian
Zeppelin Admiral
Netherlands Netherlands

« Reply #383 on: April 10, 2017, 09:46:29 am »

Greetings

Hello and welcome! You will fit right in! Looking forward to hearing more about your novel Smiley
Algernon Dalrymple Smythe
« Reply #384 on: April 10, 2017, 10:02:07 am »

SeVeNeVeS
I've been investigating the odd, the curious and the downright wierd since a teenager - some 40 years or so...I may put some stuff in off topic if people are interested

Caledonian
Vol 1 is finished (107,000 words) but i'm still tweaking it...vol 2 is about 1/3 through - the groundwork is laid but I have (pardon the pun) run out of steam temporarily with it - I also had to get the third of my Haunted Airfields books finished - the damn publisher was insisting...impertinent fellow Cool

I actually started it when I came off my bike and broke my leg and spent 6 months immoble (apart from trips to the loo on crutches)and wrote it for my girlfriend - now the Memsahib...Cool
Lupin
Deck Hand
United Kingdom United Kingdom

« Reply #385 on: April 15, 2017, 07:47:03 pm »

Hello,

Thought best to introduce myself before i start asking too many questions. Im Si, i have a severe interest in Steampunk (should do with going to Asylum this year) however struggling to get ideas together for what i want to look like at Asylum and other gatherings throughout the Uk. I am lucky to have a fiancee who is also very interested in the scene as well, she is also struggling for ideas as well. My Steampunk alter-ego is Lupin Greyhawk.... after that i a little flummoxed.

Any how hope your all well on this fine Bank Holiday evening!

Good day,

Lupin
Colonel Hawthorne
Snr. Officer
New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #386 on: April 16, 2017, 06:19:19 am »

Good day, Mr. Greyhawk, and a very warm welcome to BG.

The hardest thing about steampunk, in my view, is starting, and you've done that!  You have your persona's name; now you need to work on hus story - does he have a  profession; is he military, engineer, secret agent, explorer ... or is he perhaps distantly related to Arsene Lupin, France's gentleman burglar, and is carrying on his relation's career?  (Or, depending on timing, did Arsene Lupin learn his profession from you?)

For the Asylum, don't feel you have to have absolutely finalised either your story or your outfit(s); I'm sure there will be people there in variuos stage of character development, as well as those who don't feel any need for a steampunk persona at all - it's not compulsory, but I like it because your story guides the sort of clothes you will wear and the things you carry - butterfly collectors probably don't need ray guns, and those involved in that beastly business on Venus in '93 have much use for butterfly nets - to state two slightly exteme examples, perhaps.

Explore the forum, ask questions, show us what you're making.  Your character will come out of all that.  Above all, have fun with it.

Best,

Hawthorne

Colonel Sir Julius Hawthorne
H.M. Air Privateers (Retd.)

http://capitalsteampunknz.org

Whatever did we do before retro-futurism?
von Corax
Squire of the Lambda Calculus
Board Moderator
Immortal
Canada Canada

Prof. Darwin Prætorius von Corax

« Reply #387 on: April 19, 2017, 03:01:54 am »

- butterfly collectors probably don't need ray guns, and those involved in that beastly business on Venus in '93 have much use for butterfly nets -
I say, Colonel, I was on Venus in '93, and that butterfly net saved my life more than once!

Welcome to BG, Mr. Greyhawk, and to Col. Hawthorne's excellent advice allow me to add: Don't be afraid of a little whimsy.

By the power of caffeine do I set my mind in motion
By the Beans of Life do my thoughts acquire speed
My hands acquire a shaking
The shaking becomes a warning
By the power of caffeine do I set my mind in motion
The Leverkusen Institute of Paleocybernetics is 5838 km from Reading
DWatkins
Swab

« Reply #388 on: April 20, 2017, 10:59:48 pm »

Hi All!

My name is Dan Watkins, and I'm new to the forum!

My hobbies include Steampunk cosplay, raving, EDM music, and flow arts! I'm happy to be a new member!

Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin
J. Wilhelm
Board Moderator
Immortal

« Reply #389 on: April 21, 2017, 11:20:42 am »

Hi All!

My name is Dan Watkins, and I'm new to the forum!

My hobbies include Steampunk cosplay, raving, EDM music, and flow arts! I'm happy to be a new member!

Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin

Welcome to the forum Mr. Watkins! I know someone in Austin who is into Poi which if I understand correctly might be considered part of the "flow arts."
annevpreussen
Gunner

« Reply #390 on: April 21, 2017, 09:44:33 pm »

Mr. Watkins and Admiral Wilhelm, I'm not familiar with the "flow arts." What exactly are they?
J. Wilhelm
Board Moderator
Immortal

« Reply #391 on: April 22, 2017, 06:08:33 am »

Mr. Watkins and Admiral Wilhelm, I'm not familiar with the "flow arts." What exactly are they?

Dear Ms. Preussen, it is not related to the science of fluid mechanics, nor some aquatic show at Sea World, even though it sounds it could be  Grin. From the little I know, it's the umbrella term for the art of manipulation of and dance with objects such as flaming torches (for Poi, think of Hawaiian dances), and other luminous (LED lights at raves) and non luminous objects in gymnastics (Hoola Hoop, ribbon wands, etc.)
annevpreussen
Gunner

« Reply #392 on: April 22, 2017, 07:29:35 pm »

Dear Ms. Preussen, it is not related to the science of fluid mechanics, nor some aquatic show at Sea World, even though it sounds it could be  Grin. From the little I know, it's the umbrella term for the art of manipulation of and dance with objects such as flaming torches (for Poi, think of Hawaiian dances), and other luminous (LED lights at raves) and non luminous objects in gymnastics (Hoola Hoop, ribbon wands, etc.)

Oh, that's so interesting! At first I thought the "flow" might be related to some sort of kinetic sculpture, like the machine-based ones by Arthur Gansen (very steampunk-y, if you ask me!). I think the actual definition of flow arts is really cool as well, especially since I know I could never do anything like it! Anyone who can juggle burning things without dying or wave ribbon wands without getting hopelessly tangled in them has my respect. XD

SkyCityMint
Deck Hand

« Reply #393 on: May 10, 2017, 04:56:53 pm »

Hello, I am new to the forum. I was working on a project for machinecoin, and our lead guy changed the format to the steampunk. I was not too familiar with Steampunk, but after researching it for the project, I realize I have some of the same interests; e.g. building stuff and attending conventions.

I am not really a forum type of guy, but I wanted to stop in and say hi.
SkyCityMint
Deck Hand

« Reply #394 on: May 10, 2017, 05:21:26 pm »

Hello, I am new to the forum. I was working on a project for machinecoin, and our lead guy changed the format to the steampunk. I was not too familiar with Steampunk, but after researching it for the project, I realize I have some of the same interests; e.g. building stuff and attending conventions.

Posting bad grammar for the public to see is one reason I don't post much, lol.
Caledonian
Zeppelin Admiral
Netherlands Netherlands

« Reply #395 on: May 10, 2017, 07:00:43 pm »

Posting bad grammar for the public to see is one reason I don't post much, lol.

Hello! Welcome to the forums! Do not let grammatical mistakes stop you from interacting with us here! I haven't ran into a grammar nazi yet so you're probably fine!
Rockula
Board Moderator
Rogue Ætherlord
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Nothing beats a good hat.

« Reply #396 on: May 11, 2017, 01:28:56 pm »

Hello! Welcome to the forums! Do not let grammatical mistakes stop you from interacting with us here! I haven't ran into a grammar nazi yet so you're probably fine!

''Run''.

Sorry. Just jesting. Welcome everyone.  Wink

The legs have fallen off my Victorian Lady...
Caledonian
Zeppelin Admiral
Netherlands Netherlands

« Reply #397 on: May 11, 2017, 01:53:52 pm »

''Run''.

English is hard  Sad
morozow
Snr. Officer
Russian Federation Russian Federation

« Reply #398 on: May 11, 2017, 04:37:58 pm »

''Run''.

English is hard  Sad

Английский трудный? Это Вы ещё не пытались изучать русский язык.

Начать хотя бы с кириллицы. Видите какие сложные закорючки.

Wink

Sorry for the errors, rudeness and stupidity. It's not me, this online translator. Really convenient?
Caledonian
Zeppelin Admiral
Netherlands Netherlands

« Reply #399 on: May 11, 2017, 07:39:14 pm »

''Run''.

English is hard  Sad

Английский трудный? Это Вы ещё не пытались изучать русский язык.

Начать хотя бы с кириллицы. Видите какие сложные закорючки.

Wink

Uh. Russisch spreek ik ook niet.
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 [16] 17 18 19   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: