The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
October 18, 2017, 07:44:50 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Support BrassGoggles! Donate once or $3/mo.
 See details here.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Introduce yourself (Mk. III)  (Read 27028 times)
Penny Lovelace
Deck Hand
United Kingdom United Kingdom

« Reply #250 on: May 23, 2016, 08:07:50 pm »

Good Evening!

I'm new here, but not so new to Steampunk. I used to be quite heavily involved with a local group but things became a little too complex so I fell out of the community for the last few years. I still adore it, just privately. I am also a lot more socially anxious than I used to be, so saying 'Hello!' online seems a lot less daunting  Grin

I'd love to get to know some new people and re-build my love for this sub-culture. I am an avid reader, I make metalwork Jewellery on and off, I am trying to learn to make clothing and I have also just started to crochet. Please don't hesitate to say hello. I don't bite and I'm here to make some friends!

Much love,
Penny x
Cmdr. Storm
Officer
United States United States

« Reply #251 on: May 23, 2016, 08:22:35 pm »

Welcome, Hope You Enjoy it Here, and Don't Be Afraid to PM me if You want to Talk.
Caledonian
Zeppelin Admiral
Netherlands Netherlands

the dragon's called Salmacis

« Reply #252 on: May 23, 2016, 09:10:37 pm »

Good Evening!

I'm new here, but not so new to Steampunk. I used to be quite heavily involved with a local group but things became a little too complex so I fell out of the community for the last few years. I still adore it, just privately. I am also a lot more socially anxious than I used to be, so saying 'Hello!' online seems a lot less daunting  Grin

I'd love to get to know some new people and re-build my love for this sub-culture. I am an avid reader, I make metalwork Jewellery on and off, I am trying to learn to make clothing and I have also just started to crochet. Please don't hesitate to say hello. I don't bite and I'm here to make some friends!

Much love,
Penny x

Hello penny! Welcome to brass goggles!
Make yourself at home and have a cup of tea...
I hope you will enjoy your time here!

"Crazy pseudo-scot living in a fantasy world"
Penny Lovelace
Deck Hand

« Reply #253 on: May 23, 2016, 09:21:55 pm »

Thank you muchly, the warm welcome is lovely Smiley
Corroded Alloy
Zeppelin Admiral
Wales Wales

JacobTheunissen
« Reply #254 on: May 24, 2016, 12:19:45 am »

Welcome to Brass Goggles Penny.
I make my own clothes (and am still learning). it is most rewarding. My wife crochets (and is also still learning)
I've struggled with social anxiety all my life.
Have a look around and enjoy your stay, may it be long.

Small though it is, the human brain can be quite effective when used properly.
Prof. Cecily
Snr. Officer
Spain Spain

« Reply #255 on: May 24, 2016, 08:14:26 am »

Good morning, ladies and gentlemen.
Welcome to Brass Goggles, Penny.
Making or making over clothes (see Miranda's discussions for ideas!) is a part of Steampunk, as is working with just about ANY imaginable material to produce new and fabulous creations.

Crochet is a fascinating craft- have you seen this project?
http://crochetcoralreef.org/

I crochet a bit myself- reticules, shoulder capes, and the edgings of my petticoats.
What are you working on at the moment?

I remain yours,
Prof. Cecily

Alanis Binx
Deck Hand

« Reply #256 on: May 24, 2016, 09:39:51 am »

Hello I am Alanis Binx I just got really into steampunk in April, but i guess i have really loved it my whole life. I have always been into the Victorian era, and have always loved clocks and sci fi. since I got into steampunk hardcore I have made three pair of goggles a bracelet,a necklace, and my favorite thing i made so far is my time machine suspenders Cheesy I'm happy to have found this forum and can't wait to join in
Cmdr. Storm
Officer

« Reply #257 on: May 24, 2016, 09:50:23 am »

Welcome,Enjoy Yourself And Don't Be Afraid to Chat or PM Folks.
Caledonian
Zeppelin Admiral
Netherlands Netherlands

the dragon's called Salmacis

« Reply #258 on: May 24, 2016, 10:00:31 am »

Hello I am Alanis Binx I just got really into steampunk in April, but i guess i have really loved it my whole life. I have always been into the Victorian era, and have always loved clocks and sci fi. since I got into steampunk hardcore I have made three pair of goggles a bracelet,a necklace, and my favorite thing i made so far is my time machine suspenders Cheesy I'm happy to have found this forum and can't wait to join in

Welcome to brass goggles!
.....I really want to see these suspenders/.
creagmor
Zeppelin Captain
South Africa South Africa

« Reply #259 on: May 24, 2016, 06:03:43 pm »

Seconded

“Love is an emotional thing, and whatever is emotional is opposed to that cold true reason which I place above all things.” Sherlock Holmes, in The Sign of Four.
Penny Lovelace
Deck Hand

« Reply #260 on: May 24, 2016, 10:02:38 pm »

Corroded Alloy, thank you! It sounds like your wife and yourself are very crafty people (as in the hobby, but who knows... Maybe you are both super crafty in the sneaky way too! Hehe Cool). Social anxiety is something that seems to have become an issue in the last 5 or so years, I can't quite pinpoint why. Funnily, I've shifted from extroverted to introverted in the same time span. Maybe it comes with age?!

Prof. Cecily, I will take a look into that link. I am still very new to it, and just recently figured out how to change colours. So naturally everything is stripy at the moment. I am currently making a pink and grey scarf (I'm adding a picture so you can giggle at my wobbly tension!  Grin)

Kind Regards,
Penny
Penny Lovelace
Deck Hand

« Reply #261 on: May 24, 2016, 10:10:46 pm »

... Though it would help if I could figure out how to upload an image... You can all laugh at me now whilst I figure it out  Cheesy
Penny Lovelace
Deck Hand

« Reply #262 on: May 24, 2016, 10:13:21 pm »

Huzzah! I feel like the master of image uploads now  Cool

Prof. Cecily
Snr. Officer
Spain Spain

« Reply #263 on: May 25, 2016, 06:53:35 am »

Penny Lovelace, you're streets ahead of me.
I've yet to learn to manage colour changes!

Here's a photo of me at Madrid's ExpoManga, where Steampunk Madrid organised a Steampunk themed Cosplay contest (the winner was a Steampunk Alice in Wonderland)

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10208484711669755&set=oa.1782136762005993&type=3&theater

As you can see, the petticoat edging and the reticule are crochet. The colour is added by threading ribbon through the work.

I remain yours,
Prof. Cecily
Prof. Cecily
Snr. Officer
Spain Spain

« Reply #264 on: May 25, 2016, 06:54:57 am »

Thirded!
Alanis Binx
Deck Hand

« Reply #265 on: May 25, 2016, 07:08:16 am »

i don't have a camera that i can hook up to my computer at the moment but maybe some time
GCCC
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #266 on: May 25, 2016, 01:23:07 pm »

Penny Lovelace, you're streets ahead of me.
I've yet to learn to manage colour changes!

Here's a photo of me at Madrid's ExpoManga, where Steampunk Madrid organised a Steampunk themed Cosplay contest (the winner was a Steampunk Alice in Wonderland)

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10208484711669755&set=oa.1782136762005993&type=3&theater

As you can see, the petticoat edging and the reticule are crochet. The colour is added by threading ribbon through the work.

I remain yours,
Prof. Cecily

I'm going to have to steal borrow that image for my ideas folder.
Penny Lovelace
Deck Hand

« Reply #267 on: May 25, 2016, 01:44:18 pm »

Good afternoon!
Prof. Cecily, how did you know? I have a life long obsession with Alice in Wonderland that boarders on unhealthy!
I love that crochet though, that's such a unique way to use it. It's a fantastic look. I don't feel confident for much beyond scarves yet, but I'd love to eventually make a shawl or something a bit more fun.

Kind Regards,
Penny
Corroded Alloy
Zeppelin Admiral
Wales Wales

JacobTheunissen
« Reply #268 on: May 25, 2016, 07:24:08 pm »

Corroded Alloy, thank you! It sounds like your wife and yourself are very crafty people (as in the hobby, but who knows... Maybe you are both super crafty in the sneaky way too! Hehe Cool). Social anxiety is something that seems to have become an issue in the last 5 or so years, I can't quite pinpoint why. Funnily, I've shifted from extroverted to introverted in the same time span. Maybe it comes with age?!

You're welcome. I will have a go at anything and love making things and repairing and re purposing. I'm sure I have been the other sort of crafty at times especially when orchestrating a practical joke!

Social anxiety is being talked about much more now. It must be hard going from extrovert to introvert. This also happened to a friend of ours.  I find it a real burden because inside I am an extrovert and love being the centre of attention and making everybody laugh. To get from being the quiet person hunched in the corner to being the person I really want to be requires so much emotional energy that it can fairly bring on a panic attack. I've traced my anxiety to a fear of being exposed as a fool and ultimately being rejected. Realising this has helped me a lot because the logical part of me knows that most people are nice and don't reject you for being a fool. I also realise that I'm actually probably not a fool after all Smiley.

My wife finds youtube an excellent aid to crocheting.

Corroded
Prof. Cecily
Snr. Officer
Spain Spain

« Reply #269 on: May 26, 2016, 06:37:54 am »

i don't have a camera that i can hook up to my computer at the moment but maybe some time

Nor do I. I take photos with my phone and send them directly via gmail to an account I use to download photos.
Perhaps it's a bit roundabout, but it works.

I remain yours,
Prof. Cecily
Alanis Binx
Deck Hand

« Reply #270 on: May 26, 2016, 08:18:27 am »

Yes well i also do not have one of those newfangled fancy telephones that can take photographs  Wink
Penny Lovelace
Deck Hand

« Reply #271 on: May 27, 2016, 11:12:55 am »

You're welcome. I will have a go at anything and love making things and repairing and re purposing. I'm sure I have been the other sort of crafty at times especially when orchestrating a practical joke!

Social anxiety is being talked about much more now. It must be hard going from extrovert to introvert. This also happened to a friend of ours.  I find it a real burden because inside I am an extrovert and love being the centre of attention and making everybody laugh. To get from being the quiet person hunched in the corner to being the person I really want to be requires so much emotional energy that it can fairly bring on a panic attack. I've traced my anxiety to a fear of being exposed as a fool and ultimately being rejected. Realising this has helped me a lot because the logical part of me knows that most people are nice and don't reject you for being a fool. I also realise that I'm actually probably not a fool after all Smiley.

My wife finds youtube an excellent aid to crocheting.

Corroded

Crafty is always fun - either way!
That pretty much describes me with the anxiety. I know I am a very social person and like interacting with people. It is just lately I panic at the idea of meeting up with strangers or interacting with others in public places. It's not so bad at work, I can put a mask on there. I try to remind myself that people who wish to judge me will do so regardless of what I do or don't do, and they simply aren't worth the worry. It helps a little, but it'll take work I think!

I keep meaning to take a look at Youtube, maybe this evening Smiley

Kindly,
Penny
RedDog Frost
Swab

Australia Australia

« Reply #272 on: June 03, 2016, 04:42:19 pm »

Howdy.
Name's RedDog, 'n I've loved the Age of Steam long as I can remember. Just started with the DIY stuff recently. Working on modding some guns to start. (Replicas, obviously. Real guns are kinda a no-no here. Grin )

"Yea tho' I walk through the valley of the shadow of Death, I shall fear no evil..."
Whistling Bear
Deck Hand

Lt. Eagan D. Waynningdale

@wbillustrations
« Reply #273 on: June 04, 2016, 09:25:59 am »

Hi guys,

I'm still pretty new to the whole Steampunk universe, I've always had an interest in it but never really embraced it. I'm an illustrator and one of the projects I was working on asked for an illustration to represent money earned through hard work, instantly I thought of the industrial revolution and Steampunk, I began my research for the illustration and before I knew it I was pretty obsessed.

Already I've made some friends, found a sea of new music, got my first convention planned and considering my costume. Very excited and feel very welcomed by the community, now I'm here, and making a start on my Steampunk character Lt. Eagan D. Wynningdale.

Have a great day folks!

WB
4wheel
Deck Hand

Gravatar

« Reply #274 on: June 10, 2016, 12:09:04 am »

Good day to you all!  It's a pleasure to be here. 

I've always had a fascination with airships, gears and machinery in general.  So discovering the steampunk culture some odd years ago, I've always admired it from afar without any ability to take part in due to financial constrains.  Though, now with a new job that allows me to keep the lights on and((*gasp*)) have a few scraps left over to shell out I've been looking into a fun little hobby.  Thus, I was recently reminded of my adoration for steampunk when I went to a con and saw a stunning group of steampunk cosplayers that left me floored.

I have no real clue where I'm going to start, with my mind overwhelmed with ideas I'm just writing down concepts and finagling with the plethora of junk parts my garage contains.  I certainly hope to enjoy my time here and may even make a few friends within the community. 
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: