The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
October 21, 2017, 12:17:07 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Support BrassGoggles! Donate once or $3/mo.
 See details here.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 ... 19   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Introduce yourself (Mk. III)  (Read 27058 times)
Colonel Hawthorne
Snr. Officer
New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #200 on: March 01, 2016, 07:55:46 am »

I deny any allegations regarding the gazelle!

Welcome, Fizzy.  We can always use more bubbles on BG.

Your ghostbuster experience perhaps outlines one of the differences between steampunk and cosplay.Cosplayers (often) create their take on an existing character.  Steampunks (often) create their characters from scratch.  Note the '(often)' - there are no absolutes in this world!

Colonel Sir Julius Hawthorne
H.M. Air Privateers (Retd.)

http://capitalsteampunknz.org

Whatever did we do before retro-futurism?
Steamtess
Swab

United Kingdom United Kingdom

« Reply #201 on: March 09, 2016, 09:48:12 pm »

Hi, I'm Teresa aka Fannybygaslight aka Steamtess (on here) I run my local Steampunk group called SteaMendip. I have been a Steampunk for about 3 years, I was so impressed by the Frome Steampunk Extravaganza 1, the first event I attended, that I knew I had found my purpose in life abeit at a mature age! I especially enjoy creating outfits, hats and props.
That's about it for now, thank you for letting me join.
Prof. Cecily
Snr. Officer
Spain Spain

« Reply #202 on: March 10, 2016, 10:23:32 am »

Good morning, ladies and gentlemen.
Steamtess, how lovely to find a new hat lover here!
I'm looking forward to seeing some of your designs.

I'm new in the steampunk world myself, rather less than two years. I think you'll find Brass Goggles to be a delightful treasure trove of inspiration for your work!

I remain yours,
Prof. Cecily
Dr.B.Goodall
Gunner

Be Good All! ;)

« Reply #203 on: March 21, 2016, 09:09:48 pm »

Hi everyone Grin

I'm completely new to Steampunk (as of 13th March 2016).  Came across it all by accident, first seeing the costumes, then reading about the "culture" around Steampunk and how it came about, finishing with starting to read forums to see what you guys and girls get upto.

I kinda got hooked with it all very quickly, as I love Sci-fi, love making / modifying stuff, and I love engineering in all it's forms.  I'm normally a bit scatty with my ideas (I have loads, and they are all over the place), but with Steampunk I can focus on a theme of Steam, springs, cogs, and perhaps some basic electrics (without going over the top).

I've been an Aircraft Engineer for 17 years now, and in the past I have painted model figures and vehicles as a hobby, later progressing onto car modifying (with a car that you couldn't just "buy and fit" things to - you have to make or modify them yourself - never was a fan of "bolt-on" mods anyway).  Since then, I've been looking for something to do that allows me to be creative and use my work and previous hobby skills (as well as develop new skills) that I could do in my own time, to my own budget, and have some fun along the way.  Steampunk has just become the answer to my problem Grin

I decided to start my Steampunk life by creating a basic character and name him ... err ... me.  So I tried various "name generators" online, just to come up with one I liked, courtosey of none other than the Brass Goggles name generator.  Hence I am now "Doctor Byron Goodall" ... or "Dr. B Goodall" (as I'm happy when everyone else is happy - so "Be Good All" seemed like a nice play on words Wink ).

Anyway, that's all for now.  I've got soooo much to read on here alone, it's going to keep me occupied for ages.  I haven't decided what my first Steampunk "project" should be (a model airship / piece of clothing / weapon / artwork ... the list goes on!), so any suggestions would be appreciated Smiley

P.S. Please excuse my ignorance on the Steampunk "core" literature - there is so much information online, I don't really know where to start! Roll Eyes

"People call me a "Doctor", but only for my skills.  I know nothing of healing the flesh.  Metal, steam, and what I discover in the wastelands are the tools and techniques for my creations in the new world." - Dr.B.Goodall, Wasteland Explorer
von Corax
Squire of the Lambda Calculus
Board Moderator
Immortal
Canada Canada

Prof. Darwin Prætorius von Corax

« Reply #204 on: March 22, 2016, 01:18:47 am »

Hello, Doctor, and welcome!

Don't stress too much about the "core" literature; there actually is no Steampunk canon. I once likened Steampunk to a vast undulating plane where we each choose a place to stand and define Steampunk by what we can see from that place. Some see a broader definition, some a narrower one, but no two Steampunks occupy exactly the same viewpoint.

By the power of caffeine do I set my mind in motion
By the Beans of Life do my thoughts acquire speed
My hands acquire a shaking
The shaking becomes a warning
By the power of caffeine do I set my mind in motion
The Leverkusen Institute of Paleocybernetics is 5838 km from Reading
Prof. Cecily
Snr. Officer
Spain Spain

« Reply #205 on: March 22, 2016, 08:00:13 am »

My dear doctor.
Everyone will tell you something different, my own opinion is that the sooner you are able to have fun at events whilst attired splendidly, the more you'll be inspired to create things, write things and even organise or help organise events.

So.
I'd advise starting with making things that can be worn: a teacup holster, a time machine fitted into an arm bracer a clever hat, a belt with lots of curious objects or jetpack which is a portable soundsystem of drinks dispenser or whatever.

Whatever you choose to do, have fun and be splendid!

I remain yours,
Prof. Cecily
Caledonian
Zeppelin Admiral
Netherlands Netherlands

the dragon's called Salmacis

« Reply #206 on: March 22, 2016, 08:16:21 am »

Welcome aboard, Doc!
Steampunk core literature?
In 5 years of steampunk interest i STILL feel like i haven't read it. So don't sweat it, you simply can't get it wrong (i suppose you could introduce new ideas at most...)

I agree with  prof. Cecily, wearable objects are fun because you get to use your creations and you can show them off. That is if you plan on going to events...not all steampunks like events as much, and I'm not sure what the point of attire is if you don't wear it... hmmm...

"Crazy pseudo-scot living in a fantasy world"
Derby Brown
Swab

United States United States

« Reply #207 on: March 24, 2016, 05:07:43 am »

Hello Everyone....Tis I....Derby Brown (Takes a bow) Cool
Prof. Cecily
Snr. Officer
Spain Spain

« Reply #208 on: March 24, 2016, 09:36:18 am »

Welcome, Doc. Brown! I hope you enjoy your stay here!

...wearable objects are fun because you get to use your creations and you can show them off. That is if you plan on going to events...not all steampunks like events as much, and I'm not sure what the point of attire is if you don't wear it... hmmm...

I wasn't a fan of events until I started making friends that I only get to see at events. I reckon they're important for steamers!

I remain yours,
Prof. Cecily
Caledonian
Zeppelin Admiral
Netherlands Netherlands

« Reply #209 on: March 24, 2016, 12:39:08 pm »

hello mister Brown.
von Corax
Board Moderator
Immortal
Canada Canada

« Reply #210 on: March 24, 2016, 05:36:04 pm »

* von Corax waves

Hi, Derby Brown! Pour yourself some tea, help yourself to a biscuit and tell us a little about yourself.
Lady Ava
Zeppelin Admiral

Gravatar

Adventurer, Dress-maker and General All-Round Awesome.

electrogirlak
« Reply #211 on: March 25, 2016, 10:02:07 pm »

... I've sacrificed enough virgins and paid enough mana to fuel my temporary return, however in more an military dieselpunk style.

I'm baaaaaaaack.

''I'm a loose bolt in a complete machine. What a match! I'm half-doomed and you're semi-sweet.''
‎"You want steampunk to be a novelty, a LOLcat, a meme. I want it to be my life. Which of us is going to fight harder for it?" - Dimitri Markotin
*DISCLAIMER*     This dungeon is fictional, and any similarities to other dungeons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

http://www.facebook.com/antevortefashion
Mention you're from BG when ordering for free shipping!
Caledonian
Zeppelin Admiral
Netherlands Netherlands

« Reply #212 on: March 25, 2016, 10:18:07 pm »

... I've sacrificed enough virgins and paid enough mana to fuel my temporary return, however in more an military dieselpunk style.

I'm baaaaaaaack.

Ah, hello! I believe we haven't met before, but welcome back!
von Corax
Board Moderator
Immortal
Canada Canada

« Reply #213 on: March 26, 2016, 12:00:29 am »

I'm baaaaaaaack.

Aaaaaaaah! Welcome baaaaaaaack!  Smiley
Dr.B.Goodall
Gunner

Be Good All! ;)

« Reply #214 on: March 28, 2016, 09:06:12 pm »

Well hello Mr Brown, welcome to the Forum Smiley

Oh my Lady Ava, I thought I'd seen everything on my adventures amongst the wastelands, and now you pop in to intrigue me further Wink
Prof. Cecily
Snr. Officer
Spain Spain

« Reply #215 on: March 30, 2016, 08:38:53 am »

Welcome back, Lady Ava. I tried the link to your FB page, but it seems to be broken.

I remain yours,
Prof. Cecily
J. Wilhelm
╬ Admiral und Luftschiffengel ╬
Board Moderator
Immortal

Sentisne fortunatum punkus? Veni. Diem meum comple

« Reply #216 on: March 30, 2016, 10:12:23 am »

I'm baaaaaaaack.

Welcome back Lady Ava. It's been a long time since we've heard from you! We'll welcome you any way we can get you, whether Victorian Lady, 1920's Flapper, or 1940's Rosie The Riveter mode.

wolfmanyoda
Deck Hand

« Reply #217 on: March 31, 2016, 02:45:08 pm »

Hello all,
Dipping my toes into the Steampunk world.
Glad to meet you.
Caledonian
Zeppelin Admiral
Netherlands Netherlands

« Reply #218 on: March 31, 2016, 07:19:36 pm »

Hello all,
Glad to meet you.

glad to meet you too! and welcome once more!
Lady Ava
Zeppelin Admiral

Gravatar

electrogirlak
« Reply #219 on: April 02, 2016, 07:46:14 pm »

I'm baaaaaaaack.

Welcome back Lady Ava. It's been a long time since we've heard from you! We'll welcome you any way we can get you, whether Victorian Lady, 1920's Flapper, or 1940's Rosie The Riveter mode.

Completely used to being taken anyway available... Missed you all.
Lady Ava
Zeppelin Admiral

Gravatar

electrogirlak
« Reply #220 on: April 02, 2016, 07:47:33 pm »

Welcome back, Lady Ava. I tried the link to your FB page, but it seems to be broken.

I remain yours,
Prof. Cecily

I'll be fixing that in a minute, having rebranded fairly recently!
J. Wilhelm
╬ Admiral und Luftschiffengel ╬
Board Moderator
Immortal

Sentisne fortunatum punkus? Veni. Diem meum comple

« Reply #221 on: April 04, 2016, 01:46:08 am »

I'm baaaaaaaack.

Completely used to being taken anyway available... Missed you all.
Wink
Dr.B.Goodall
Gunner

Be Good All! ;)

« Reply #222 on: April 04, 2016, 06:06:59 pm »

Hello all,
Glad to meet you.

Welcome! Cheesy
By the look of your avatar - you've dipped more than your toes into the Steampunk world Tongue
wolfmanyoda
Deck Hand

« Reply #223 on: April 05, 2016, 12:11:50 am »

Welcome! Cheesy
By the look of your avatar - you've dipped more than your toes into the Steampunk world Tongue

Haha, I suppose so, but that's the one and only time I made an outfit and went out with it.
Dr.B.Goodall
Gunner

Be Good All! ;)

« Reply #224 on: April 08, 2016, 03:54:47 am »

Well wolfmanyoda you've achieved a lot more than I have so far ... I'm still working on my outfit.  I've got the very basics (trousers, shirt, and finger-less leather gloves), but unfortunately the waistcoat I ordered was way too small (despite ordering a larger size than needed according to the sellers size chart).  Do you have any pictures of you in your outfit (other than the small avatar)?  I'd be interested to see them Smiley
« Last Edit: April 08, 2016, 03:57:36 am by Dr.B.Goodall » Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 ... 19   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: