The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
December 17, 2017, 09:04:47 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Support BrassGoggles! Donate once or $3/mo.
 See details here.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Help needed for a newbie!  (Read 631 times)
Frampet
Swab

United Kingdom United Kingdom

« on: December 08, 2014, 02:31:54 pm »

Hi all!

I recently attended my first comicon event and fell in love with steampunk. I really want to start off my steampunk wardrobe but not really sure where to start and how to do it? I know this probably sounds weird but I want to know the do's and don'ts behind it. Any help and advice anyone has to offer would be great!

Thank you Smiley

Rachel x
Sludge Van Diesel
Zeppelin Captain
England England

SteampunkDJ.co.uk

« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2014, 02:59:04 pm »

Have a look at some of the threads in Anatomical.

Get some idea of where you want to go with it.  Is it just for events, or something you want on a more day to day basis?

Better to study for one hour with the wise, than to drink wine with the foolish

www.steampunkdj.co.uk  Please follow me on Twitter https://twitter.com/SteampunkDJ & Facebook https://www.facebook.com/steampunkdj
VampirateMace
Zeppelin Captain
United States United States

Mein Hexapod

« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2014, 09:14:33 pm »

Welcome to BrassGoggles Rachel,
First thing you ought to know, is that there really aren't any rules. Steampunk is more of the kind of thing, where you know it when you see it, though of course the most basic concept is mixing modern and Victorian (or near Victorian) designs, to create something that appeals to you. A good first project might be to replace some plastic buttons on a shirt you already own with metal, wood, or shell ones. Metal is the most popular choice, though shell was probably the most common in the Victorian era. - Also this can be cheap as vintage buttons (even ones still on the card) usually are cheaper than new ones.

Second, I think you'll find this thread helpful:
http://brassgoggles.org/forum/index.php/topic,24930.0.html
It's all about all the cheap ways to get Steampunk clothes; thrift stores, vintage shops, and hand-me-downs can all be great sources for you.

frances
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2014, 09:31:42 pm »

Hello Frampet, welcome

I suggest that you google steampunk and see what comes up.  Look at lots of pictures and read lots of articles and then make up your own mind as to where you fit in.
Rory B Esq BSc
Snr. Officer

« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2014, 10:26:48 pm »

There are no 'rules'... to give you an idea, I went to a local Steampunk event at the weekend in cords and a tweed Jacket and flat cap and stopped counting how many people took my photo when I got to 20 because I carried a 'Kraken Liberation Front' placard.

A simple 'outfit' and an attitude of 'I'm having fun' can work wonders!
Colonel Hawthorne
Snr. Officer
New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2014, 10:31:32 pm »

Good day to you, Rachel.  Welcome to BG and our lovely world.

First piece of advice: start somewhere.  As VampirateMace suggests, this might be as simple as replacing the buttons on something you already have.  Haunt your local opportunity/junk shops and try to look at things not as you find them but as they might be with some interesting bits added (epaulettes, sashes, medals, pretty well anything you can think of).  Is there an interesting smallish brass candlestick or vase?  Turn it on its side and imagine it with a handle on it, helping you fight off the next air kraken you encounter.  Again to echo VM, there are no rules - or not many; don't fall into the 'stick some gears on it and call it steampunk' trap (search for that in YouTube - you'll soon see what I'm talking about).

Second piece of advice - less vital, many would say entirely optional: consider who your steampunk character is going to be.  There are various 'standard' types - airship pirate (a little overused), explorer, scientist, lady/gentleman, military, and so on.  And of course mixtures of these; the semi-aristocratic adventurer is quite fun, or there are a few lady archaeologists out there now (a steampunk Lara Croft would probably dress more like Indiana Jones in a skirt, but that's entirely up to you).  The reason I suggest considering your character/persona at this early stage is it may make it easier to decide what your first costume should look like if you know the sort of person who'll be wearing it.  Future outfits will then come to you as you develop your persona's story.

This doesn't work for everybody; some of us never bother with a proper persona, and they're no less steampunk than anybody else.  But I like being Colonel Hawthorne and gradually expanding his life story to explain how and why he wears what he does and the equipment he carries.

Above all - use Brass Goggles as a resource.  There are some amazingly talented people here sharing their creations and techniques (steampunks are very good at helping each other, in my experience).  Have a good look round, ask questions, but above all - start somewhere!

Colonel Sir Julius Hawthorne
H.M. Air Privateers (Retd.)

http://capitalsteampunknz.org

Whatever did we do before retro-futurism?
Hurricane Annie
Zeppelin Captain
New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2014, 11:21:14 pm »

Consider starting with the foundation things  such as hair, make up and accessories  - and as Frances suggests look at pictures, books and other stylish  citizens for inspiration.
Patron Zero
Gunner
United States United States

« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2014, 11:01:22 am »

As with most projects involving airships or aether-driven Babbage engines, what resources one has determines where to start as such also applies to wardrobe.

One's best bet is to start with a visit to a local thrift-charity shop for items of apparel that offer the foundation for a your envisioned final look.  If no shop is available nearby then most organizations do operate web-based storefronts and are generally less expensive than auction-style retailers. 

From my experience in assembling costumes for myself or clients, footwear will be the most costly and more difficult to obtain, more-so if such is gender-specific (read female) than homogeneous.

"I carry the dust of a journey that cannot be shaken away....."
Aubreay Fallowfield
Snr. Officer

« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2014, 01:46:43 pm »

Do have fun with it
Don't panic.

We discussed only last night at our last pub meet of the year just how relaxed it is in the steampunk world. We have a mixture of posh steampunk and goth steampunks as well as some relaxed working men steampunks. One of our members started off accompanying her husband and gradually she wore clothes that fitted in perfectly and now looks as fabulous as we all do ( not that she didn't look fabulous in civvies!)

Have a look online get some ideas and work with the basics. Raid your local charity shops. They usually have great things plus you're doing something good by buying from them. Meet up with other steampunks and swap ideas find out shops and work out what YOU want to look like not what you think others expect of you.

But the best thing to remember is enjoy yourself with it

Tis' bona to vada your dolly old eke.
frances
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2014, 09:30:09 pm »

Oh yes, and join a group, online or local, and see what those people are wearing.  You may like it, or decide to go down a different path.  Steampunks are individualists who each put a different spin on what they do.  Good Luck.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: