The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
October 21, 2017, 01:22:58 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Steampunk or No: Tiki Moderne Style {Occidental / Chinoiserie }  (Read 1326 times)
Hurricane Annie
Zeppelin Captain
New Zealand New Zealand

« on: December 03, 2014, 10:09:20 am »

The original  antique Tiki Moderne style from the  later Victorian & Edwardian age .  The Occidental / Oriental/  Polynesian/ Antipodean Revival / Safari  influence.

[ not the tacky retro  lounge bar accessories]

Is it intrepid missionary explorer steampunk ?

Hurricane Annie
Zeppelin Captain
New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2014, 10:41:41 am »

Back when function had style.

Dr. Nikola
Officer
United States United States

« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2014, 07:30:37 pm »

Very beautiful and much appreciated!
If not steampunk, then it should be.
VampirateMace
Zeppelin Captain

Mein Hexapod

« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2014, 07:57:01 am »

Yes! All this stuff.

Hurricane Annie
Zeppelin Captain
New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2014, 10:03:48 am »

Angus A Fitziron
Zeppelin Overlord
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Research Air Ship R.A.S. 'Saorsa'

« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2014, 10:39:19 am »

What a beautiful collection of images - thank you Annie for posting them. For many I suspect they do not meet the criteria for Steampunk in that they are historical fact, exquisite but lacking the futuristic flair. Many of them, for example the chinese cabinet could well have been historic antiques 100 years ago! I really liked the modern photo of the expedition camp (3 in OP) have you got any further info please? Technically this looks a bit like retro camping but actually I am just diving into semantics which is pointless in the face of such artful delight!

One thing though, as someone who is completely in love with the idea of Imperial India Steampunk, the images of Tiki and, say Indochina, don't sit easily together and I am trying to imagine pieces sitting comfortably side by side without jarring. Is that the intention - that they do fit harmoniously in one construct or are we looking at a number of different styles? My own experience and education do not equip me to differentiate easily between Indochinese, Mainland Chinese and some Japanese artifacts and design, but I suspect these too may clash horribly to people who are sensitive to the differences in these various cultures.

Nevertheless, great thread, I will watch this one!

Airship Artificer, part-time romantik and amateur Natural Philosopher

"wee all here are much troubled with the loss of poor Thompson & Sutton"
jonb
Snr. Officer
England England

« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2014, 10:42:08 pm »

Love the all the above images, and they are directly influencing the design of my next interplanetary base.

« Last Edit: December 04, 2014, 11:35:24 pm by jonb » Logged
J. Wilhelm
╬ Admiral und Luftschiffengel ╬
Board Moderator
Immortal

Sentisne fortunatum punkus? Veni. Diem meum comple

« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2014, 05:20:06 am »

Naturally any type of 19th. C exploration theme has enormous Steampunk potential.  Time and time again, I have seen the use of exploration themes involving Asian themes, such as Far Asia and India. However, I haven't seen much Polynesian in the overall picture.

Hurricane Annie
Zeppelin Captain
New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2014, 08:11:05 am »

What a beautiful collection of images - thank you Annie for posting them. For many I suspect they do not meet the criteria for Steampunk in that they are historical fact, exquisite but lacking the futuristic flair. Many of them, for example the chinese cabinet could well have been historic antiques 100 years ago! I really liked the modern photo of the expedition camp (3 in OP) have you got any further info please? Technically this looks a bit like retro camping but actually I am just diving into semantics which is pointless in the face of such artful delight!

One thing though, as someone who is completely in love with the idea of Imperial India Steampunk, the images of Tiki and, say Indochina, don't sit easily together and I am trying to imagine pieces sitting comfortably side by side without jarring. Is that the intention - that they do fit harmoniously in one construct or are we looking at a number of different styles? My own experience and education do not equip me to differentiate easily between Indochinese, Mainland Chinese and some Japanese artifacts and design, but I suspect these too may clash horribly to people who are sensitive to the differences in these various cultures.

Nevertheless, great thread, I will watch this one!

The above mentioned  Camp Image is  gleaned from goggling Safari  [ tent , camp, hut etc]. It is a romantic notion; a safari in a far off exotic land.  Some "vintage safari " shots are  staged , though there are some tours that give the authentic touch. " Glamping  "at its best.

Living in a far flung colony of the former British Empire we have in New Zealand grown up with a veritable mix of eclectic and eccentric relics and influences of the various out posts of the Empire and other lands. Military, missionary , diplomatic and trader  colonists  brought objects, influences  and ideas from their travels, as evidenced  above in the NZ  "bowling winners" shot and  the colour shot of Robert Louis Stevenson's home in Samoa with the tapa cloth walls  and occidental furniture.

India , South Africa,  Indonesia , Malaysia, Pacific Islands, West Indies, Middle East, Sahara , South America   and more are still a strong influence in New Zealand style along with the traditional Celtic roots in  what some call an Antipodean Revival. Aviation and boating flourished  in the some what  remote and isolated nations in the Pacific including New Zealand during the early years and has left its mark

Don't laugh- a lot of New Zealanders do really live in homes like these below.

Hurricane Annie
Zeppelin Captain
New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2014, 08:12:46 am »

Tell me that is not a Steampunk Kanagaroo

« Last Edit: December 06, 2014, 08:16:36 am by Hurricane Annie » Logged
Hurricane Annie
Zeppelin Captain
New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2014, 08:49:43 am »

Love the all the above images, and they are directly influencing the design of my next interplanetary base.

What  NZ kids grow up on!

Hurricane Annie
Zeppelin Captain
New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2014, 03:45:32 pm »

I discovered  a treasure of Steampunk Tiki on the Google Machine today.

The  Pasifika Kraken

Abandoned Steampunk Boilers on Deception Island

pakled
Zeppelin Captain

Minions Local 305, at your thervice!

« Reply #12 on: December 20, 2014, 07:44:09 pm »

and...as the HMS Adverb is placed in the water...Wink
Patron Zero
Gunner

« Reply #13 on: December 22, 2014, 10:40:05 am »

I would tend to feel any outside culture could be affected into a 'proper' SP setting if such was that which was sweeping the households or influenced design of said settings.

If one looks at the illustrations of Alex Raymond concerning his works on both Buck Rogers and Flash Gordon news-dailys, his depictions of the Hann (sp?) and other alien cultures were deeply steeped in Oriental-influence.

The TV series-film Firefly & Serenity respectively, carried a clear undertone of that flavoring to the overall textures and styling seen in architecture, clothing and art.

"I carry the dust of a journey that cannot be shaken away....."
jonb
Snr. Officer
England England

« Reply #14 on: December 22, 2014, 11:35:32 am »

and...as the HMS Adverb is placed in the water...Wink

Hurricane Annie
Zeppelin Captain
New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #15 on: December 22, 2014, 03:07:28 pm »

I would tend to feel any outside culture could be affected into a 'proper' SP setting if such was that which was sweeping the households or influenced design of said settings.

If one looks at the illustrations of Alex Raymond concerning his works on both Buck Rogers and Flash Gordon news-dailys, his depictions of the Hann (sp?) and other alien cultures were deeply steeped in Oriental-influence.

The TV series-film Firefly & Serenity respectively, carried a clear undertone of that flavoring to the overall textures and styling seen in architecture, clothing and art.

If one looks back at the cult classic black n white movies and the television shows from the mid century there is a strong occidental flavour in the back drop, props and side characters.   Munsters,  Thunderbirds,  Stingray, Pink  Panther,Batman, Gilligan's Island, Star Trek, Onedin Line .

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tin-Tin_Kyrano

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ming_the_Merciless

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lily_Munster
Hurricane Annie
Zeppelin Captain
New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #16 on: December 22, 2014, 03:15:57 pm »

RE: Planes

Is there not a Ministry of Silly Plane  Names that vets these rego numbers.?
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: