The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
December 15, 2017, 03:01:46 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: a couple of grenades  (Read 1552 times)
Otto Von Pifka
Zeppelin Admiral
United States United States

goggles? they're here somewhere.....

« Reply #25 on: December 20, 2014, 07:10:00 pm »

how about a bola grenade? one end is a deadweight and the other is a matching grenade. pull pin and start swinging the weight, the grenade primes when you let go to throw it. it wraps around your target and kaboom.
Moriarty
Snr. Officer
England England

« Reply #26 on: December 21, 2014, 12:22:26 am »

Love it Otto
Patron Zero
Gunner

« Reply #27 on: December 21, 2014, 12:59:42 pm »

Most diabolically clever indeed !

"I carry the dust of a journey that cannot be shaken away....."
Moriarty
Snr. Officer
England England

« Reply #28 on: December 21, 2014, 03:31:51 pm »

A pair of brass, bronze or even steel door knobs would be an easy to acquire and useful start but how to delineate between the counter weight and the ordinance?
A single door knob on its own makes an Excellent grenade The natural choice for the besieged  soul. Whip a few of the doors, a little improvisation and woe betide your enemies/ zombie/unwanted hawker. Etc. But two would need that little of bit extra thought me thinks.
 Is anyone going to knock up a set?
IGetPwnedOften
Snr. Officer
United Kingdom United Kingdom

If at first you don't succeed, use a bigger hammer

« Reply #29 on: December 21, 2014, 04:41:13 pm »

How about wax? I made a couple of silicone moulds recently and accidentally used the wrong silicone (condensation cured rather than platinum) so they were no good for what I wanted them for.

I remembered that a while ago someone gave me 5kg of candle wax granules, so I made these to avoid wasting the moulds...

I need to get some wax dye to make them a more appropriate colour.

As for the OP's grenades, I agree that losing the door latch and painting them is a good idea.

"Geoffrey, take their coats. No, not up the tree..."
Otto Von Pifka
Zeppelin Admiral

goggles? they're here somewhere.....

« Reply #30 on: December 21, 2014, 10:02:22 pm »

I found that I can put a nice casting type of texture on something by blasting on a overly heavy coat of primer and once it gets a skin on it, rolling it around in something powdery (sand, talc, graphite, etc.) it gets mushed about and some spots spall off completely. if it doesn't come out right, more primer and another try just makes it better.

haven't found a way to get a good casting line, other than cutting it in half before priming  and gluing it together offset slightly.

the hobby lobby sells all sorts of wooden craft shapes, including balls and balls with a small flat. both work for just this sort of application.

if you have a recurring problem with the woodgrain showing through the paint, I seal it with some sort of varnish or soak it with some superglue first. superglue makes the surface hard as rock so it resists dents and dings. drip it on and wipe it around with some wax paper. anything else might glue to it instantly, which is fine if you want more texture, but you have to do a little sanding after that.
Patron Zero
Gunner

« Reply #31 on: December 22, 2014, 10:29:03 am »

Mind this may or not be of any assistance but happy to share a little trick I came upon quite by chance working in my manufacturies here.

I have found that using a compound made from fine-shredded newsprint or like-weight paper soaked in a mixture of laundry detergent and thinned white glue creates a most agreeable spackle-filler that can be used also as a surface coating.

I have even mixed various grit-grain sand into such for texturing but admittedly never infused such with powdered metals or like materials as yet.

Mind as with all things, some fidgeting-fudging about on the ratio-formula of ingredients is best to find the end product needed but this particular 'putty' has solved many annoyances in production of props and prototypes over the years.

-Best advice, get a high-torque blender from a charity-thrift shop for doing small batch experimentation in finding the best consistency for your application.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: