The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
October 24, 2017, 05:17:54 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Support BrassGoggles! Donate once or $3/mo.
 See details here.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Too old or out of this world?  (Read 1719 times)
Damnd of Hell
Gunner
United States United States

« on: November 18, 2014, 12:48:08 am »

Since my retirement form police work, to keep busy I work private security at a junk yard.  The other day, a group of 'young' people came down with some car parts, including a whole exhaust assembly from  a car; they were very jubilant and acting as if it were a shot gun and other things.  I told them that if you put some of those electronic parts and add them to the assembly you'd make a great 'Steampunk' weapon.

They looked at me like I grew a third eye, and a periscope out of my head!  Even after I explained the world of not just Steampunk, but Cyber, Goth, and Diesel I could swear that the periscope grew taller.  I'm getting too old I think; especially when one of the check out people new what I was taking about, and he's ten years older then me!  After work, the other 'youngsters' asked the same question, and alas even with movie and TV examples I never saw such a void like expanse in their eyes.

Your Hell, is my paradise.
chicar
Rogue Ætherlord
Canada Canada

Student in Techno-Shamanism and Lyncanthrope

Chicar556
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2014, 01:14:47 am »

Hey, I'm only 30 and i know what steampunk is. Is not you who too old, is steampunk who too new.

The word pagan came from paganus , who mean peasant . Its was a way to significate than christianism was the religion of the elite and paganism the one of the savage worker class.

''Trickster shows us how we trick OURSELVES. Her rampant curiosity backfires, but, then, something NEW is discovered (though usually not what She expected)! This is where creativity comes from—experiment, do something different, maybe even something forbidden, and voila! A breakthrough occurs! Ha! Ha! We are released! The world is created anew! Do something backwards, break your own traditions, the barrier breaks; destroy the world as you know it, let the new in.''
Extract of the Dreamflesh article ''Path of The Sacred Clown''
J. Wilhelm
╬ Admiral und Luftschiffengel ╬
Board Moderator
Immortal

Sentisne fortunatum punkus? Veni. Diem meum comple

« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2014, 02:57:35 am »

I think you can never be too old for Steampunk.  It's the only movement where you get better with age (IMHO - sorry Goths, but that beer belly and comb over just doesn't look good with black leather, whips and chains)

walking stick
Zeppelin Admiral
England England

« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2014, 04:00:23 pm »

The youths aren't old enough to know that they don't know it all. As for being too old, one is never too old for Fandom.

http://www.tomsmithonline.com/lyrics/convalescence.htm
pakled
Zeppelin Captain

Minions Local 305, at your thervice!

« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2014, 05:19:35 pm »

There was a survey a while back here, where it was discovered that a trend towards older men and younger women populate these spaces...Wink

Every person develops interests over time. I'm still finding fan groups of various things, almost daily. Perhaps the Internet has shattered the illusion of conformity. Who knows

creagmor
Zeppelin Captain
South Africa South Africa

« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2014, 04:54:11 pm »

In one month I will be seventy-three. I discovered steampunk about a year ago. I was really excited as I have always been a Jules Vern fan. The first of his books I read was 20,000 Leagues under the sea, and Gorge Pal's The Time Machine is still one of my favorite movies. BTW I just saw From The Earth To The Moon and while I don't think it followed the book very well I still enjoyed it.   

“Love is an emotional thing, and whatever is emotional is opposed to that cold true reason which I place above all things.” Sherlock Holmes, in The Sign of Four.
Damnd of Hell
Gunner

« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2014, 12:49:09 am »

None of the book to screen stories translated well, they never do.  But, oh well, I go on.
Mr. Syson
Officer
United Kingdom United Kingdom

« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2014, 12:08:43 am »

DoH, I read your post and had to laugh. I tried explaining steampunk to someone at work the other day & got pretty much the same reaction.  Grin
Damnd of Hell
Gunner

« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2014, 12:52:31 am »

I'm now revising a television series which encompasses Steam, Diesel, Goth, and Cyber punk aspects.  It's amazing how many totally confounded looks there are.  Cool
Hunter
Deck Hand

« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2014, 01:02:38 am »

I turned the big 50 this month. I discovered Steampunk just over a year ago, when ideas I was having didn't fit in to any particular area of interest, so checked around the net.

Steampunk was as close as anything to what I had in mind.

I've studied military history, uniforms, weaponry for the best part of 30 years, but over time things got a bit tiresome, and in an idle moment started wondering what it'd be like to start mixing eras together in the one story.

I put my ideas out in other forums, and boy, they hadn't a clue what I was talking about, wishing to remain in a 'safe' environment, where nothing can change or be modified.

So, that is a summary how I arrived on this forum.

Being older means you experience/know a bit more than youth, but the latter are so caught up in modern technology, that imagination is lost on most, preferring to stick with what is right in front of them, or ahead, not looking back to seeing how things could be changed/different.
Hurricane Annie
Zeppelin Captain
New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2014, 01:20:41 am »

Young folk appreciate the fashion style and art work with out fully realising what it is. Stripes, lace and vintage army gear are allover everyone this season

Steampunk concepts , particularly  that of post apocalypse  and  futuristic Edwardian , are growing  in popularity for music video and film. 

If it moves

- stick wings and goggles on it.
SeVeNeVeS
Immortal
England England

« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2014, 12:01:34 pm »

I was at friends 50th birthday bash the other week.

Got talking to an old acquaintance who is now a photography/ art lecturer at a local college, happened to mention Steampunk in the conversation and got a total blank look and lots of shrugging of shoulders.

There ya go, I was most surprised as an ex Punk Rocker, married to a Goth and in his field of work, I thought he would at least heard of the genre, obviously not.

4_0_4
Snr. Officer
Sweden Sweden

Hi Forest , hows Fanny?

« Reply #12 on: November 22, 2014, 04:32:02 pm »

I think you can never be too old for Steampunk.  It's the only movement where you get better with age (IMHO - sorry Goths, but that beer belly and comb over just doesn't look good with black leather, whips and chains)

evidence please  !!  Shocked

" You can lose every battle except that last " Sir Malcolm , Penny Dreadful
Damnd of Hell
Gunner

« Reply #13 on: November 25, 2014, 02:57:52 am »

Oh well, in all hope this evidence can be brought forward. Cheesy
RodDuncan
Gunner

« Reply #14 on: November 25, 2014, 03:42:15 pm »

One of the things that most impresses me about steampunk events is the wide age range. It is a sign of a healthy community. Having said that, this quote from our dear friend Mark Twain came to mind when I read your post:

“When I was a boy of 14, my father was so ignorant I could hardly stand to have the old man around. But when I got to be 21, I was astonished at how much the old man had learned in seven years.”

Smiley

jonb
Snr. Officer
England England

« Reply #15 on: November 26, 2014, 03:29:06 am »

I wish Mark Twain was my son, as my son gets older he sees through me ever more clearly.
Dr Fidelius
Zeppelin Admiral

Professor of Applied Paleontology, Miskatonic U.

« Reply #16 on: November 26, 2014, 01:33:07 pm »

I wish Mark Twain was my son, as my son gets older he sees through me ever more clearly.

I avoided that by only having daughters.

The opinions expressed here are my own, and do not represent any other persons, organizations, spirits, thinking machines, hive minds or other sentient beings on this world or any adjacent dimensions in the multiverse.
jonb
Snr. Officer
England England

« Reply #17 on: November 26, 2014, 01:50:16 pm »

My daughter was born knowing I am an idiot.
RodDuncan
Gunner

« Reply #18 on: November 26, 2014, 02:05:08 pm »

Just as animals instinctively know where to migrate to, our children instinctively have this knowledge of us. Now, where could they have got it from?  Smiley
Dr Fidelius
Zeppelin Admiral

Professor of Applied Paleontology, Miskatonic U.

« Reply #19 on: November 26, 2014, 05:59:18 pm »

Just as animals instinctively know where to migrate to, our children instinctively have this knowledge of us. Now, where could they have got it from?  Smiley

Their mothers?
Damnd of Hell
Gunner

« Reply #20 on: December 12, 2014, 12:09:08 am »

Another episode with the ill informed.  ::sobs::
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

"This is the sort of thing no-one ever believes"

rtafStElmo
« Reply #21 on: December 12, 2014, 05:00:39 am »

Since my retirement form police work, to keep busy I work private security at a junk yard.  The other day, a group of 'young' people came down with some car parts, including a whole exhaust assembly from  a car; they were very jubilant and acting as if it were a shot gun and other things.  I told them that if you put some of those electronic parts and add them to the assembly you'd make a great 'Steampunk' weapon.

They looked at me like I grew a third eye, and a periscope out of my head!  Even after I explained the world of not just Steampunk, but Cyber, Goth, and Diesel I could swear that the periscope grew taller.  I'm getting too old I think; especially when one of the check out people new what I was taking about, and he's ten years older then me!  After work, the other 'youngsters' asked the same question, and alas even with movie and TV examples I never saw such a void like expanse in their eyes.

Some people go through their entire lives thinking that their and their friends' interests are all there is in the world that is worth doing or experiencing. Such attitudes are common across the board, among young and old alike. I'm not sure where that actually comes from. Blaming society or television or internet or whatever just seems too simple to me.

Walk softly and carry a big banjo...

""quid statis aspicientes in infernum"
Damnd of Hell
Gunner

« Reply #22 on: December 19, 2014, 12:38:29 am »

When I render examples, like The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen, The Wild Wild West, I get that 'oh' look, but the vacancy of the eyes say's the same.   Huh?  Huh
gaslampfantasy
Deck Hand

« Reply #23 on: January 05, 2015, 05:50:22 pm »

You are never too old. Keep hold of the inner child. Age is not just about physicality, but an approach to life. I know people twenty years younger than me who act like old men. Jules Verne rocks!
Wormster
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #24 on: January 05, 2015, 06:39:28 pm »

Steampunk.......Caving.........Offroading........et&c.......

The "yoof", or "Squares" won't get it until THEY discover it for themselves........as for the rest of us, its like good Single Malt Whiskey, we just keep getting better the older we get!

RAVE ON MAN!!, RAVE ON!!

We are the BEC,
And this we must confess,
Whatever is worth doing,
We'll do it to excess!
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: