The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
October 21, 2017, 03:13:39 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Support BrassGoggles! Donate once or $3/mo.
 See details here.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: New SP book from Osprey  (Read 628 times)
Captain
Zeppelin Captain
United States United States

The noblest pleasure is the joy of understanding.

« on: November 12, 2014, 04:36:07 pm »

http://www.ospreypublishing.com/blog/%5Bblog%5D/steampunk_soldiers_signing_saturday/

-Karl
pakled
Zeppelin Captain

Minions Local 305, at your thervice!

« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2014, 06:00:37 pm »

Interesting...usually I think of them as doing books like German Colonial Soldiers, mounted, from 1898-1914...Wink Will have to check it out.
Captain
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2014, 08:04:31 am »

Interesting...usually I think of them as doing books like German Colonial Soldiers, mounted, from 1898-1914...Wink Will have to check it out.

I am a little surprised too but it should be good if Osprey is doing it.
Hunter
Deck Hand
United Kingdom United Kingdom

« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2014, 12:28:38 am »

I've just got this book today.

I've not been on this forum for a long time, being the wannabe writer seeking a category definition for a film idea about a mixed-era western.

It was suggested my concept might be more suited to 'cowpunk' ?

Anyway, as my idea involves 19th Century military like US Cavalry and American Civil War Union and Confederate forces, I chose to opt for said book.

In my view it covers several stages (at least 3) of Steampunk, from bionic/robotic down to a more subtle version, with original uniforms only being modified in quite a limited way.

The latter suits myself.

However, although Steampunk involves quite sci-fi elements regarding weapons and equipment, knives and firearms suited to a more modern era appear to surface, including belt-fed machine-gun and flamethrowers, so would my introduction of modern military firearms, etc., be so really out of place in this environment ?

I consider my concept to be a Steampunk hybrid, as it does seem to belong here more than any other category.

« Last Edit: November 22, 2014, 12:35:39 am by Hunter » Logged
pakled
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2014, 08:55:49 pm »

I could be wrong, but I think you're on the borders of what's called Weird West...
Hunter
Deck Hand
United Kingdom United Kingdom

« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2014, 04:02:05 pm »

Weird West doesn't sound so good.

I'll maybe try and invent a new category.

Or any suggestions ?

How about 'Westworld' after the film, which used an Old West setting mixed with modern technology ?
pakled
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2014, 05:36:40 am »

Nothin' wrong with that. I didn't come up with the name, it was out there before I found out about it.

Frontier Tech, I dunno. As long as you're having fun.
Captain
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2014, 12:48:49 am »

I've not been on this forum for a long time, being the wannabe writer seeking a category definition for a film idea about a mixed-era western.

Anyway, as my idea involves 19th Century military like US Cavalry and American Civil War Union and Confederate forces, I chose to opt for said book.

In my view it covers several stages (at least 3) of Steampunk, from bionic/robotic down to a more subtle version, with original uniforms only being modified in quite a limited way.

The latter suits myself.

However, although Steampunk involves quite sci-fi elements regarding weapons and equipment, knives and firearms suited to a more modern era appear to surface, including belt-fed machine-gun and flamethrowers, so would my introduction of modern military firearms, etc., be so really out of place in this environment ?

I consider my concept to be a Steampunk hybrid, as it does seem to belong here more than any other category.

Overall, how would you rate this book? 

Never mind the Cogs
Snr. Officer
England England

Chin Chin !

« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2014, 12:08:24 am »

The latter suits myself.

"COWPUNK" I remember that....  check these guys too

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ywHF9q9VEdY
                                                                                                Grin

If it wasn't for the last minute, nothing at all would ever get done!
Inflatable Friend
Zeppelin Admiral
Italy Italy

« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2014, 02:49:03 pm »

It's good enough, a nice collection of pleasant Osprey art (though tragically limited to single figures with no backgrounds, lacking group or scene images).

What does annoy me is the total lack of an acknowledgements page, more than a few of the props and costumes are direct copies of costumes and props made by real world steampunks, including a few board members here. No credit or acknowledgement is given in any of the cases where this happens (unless I misses it, if I did then I apologise!, hopefully someone can refute or verify my claims).

If there's credit and I missed it then I'd give it 4 out of 5.

If the credits are missing I'll revise that to an utterly disappointed 2 out of 5
Captain
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2014, 07:36:14 pm »

It's good enough, a nice collection of pleasant Osprey art (though tragically limited to single figures with no backgrounds, lacking group or scene images).

What does annoy me is the total lack of an acknowledgements page, more than a few of the props and costumes are direct copies of costumes and props made by real world steampunks, including a few board members here. No credit or acknowledgement is given in any of the cases where this happens (unless I misses it, if I did then I apologise!, hopefully someone can refute or verify my claims).

If there's credit and I missed it then I'd give it 4 out of 5.

If the credits are missing I'll revise that to an utterly disappointed 2 out of 5

Not giving credit is a valid complaint.  Thank you for the feedback. 
Never mind the Cogs
Snr. Officer
England England

Chin Chin !

« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2014, 10:52:35 pm »

Had a look at this yesterday and was put off by the fact that it appears to be a 'game' accessory not at all like one of there Men At Arms or Warrior series. It illustrates some interesting concepts and may appeal to costume / gear designers.

Interesting to notice how many 'games' are picking up on Steampunk, just to make them 'look' different, the actual games however are not different !

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: