The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
December 15, 2017, 03:11:39 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Help: a holster for my difficult weapon  (Read 1676 times)
Colonel Hawthorne
Snr. Officer
New Zealand New Zealand

« on: November 02, 2014, 05:06:52 am »

Good day to you, Brass Gogglians all.  I have a difficulty with which I should be very grateful for some advice.

Some few months ago I completed work (if one ever really does) on this device, with which I am quite pleased:

The astute may recognise some of the componentry.  My difficulty, however, lies in transporting said device when on excursions in search of Snarks, &c.  I freely confess I have made the matter of a holster quite problematic by the very design of the weapon.  One major issue, I think, lies in the twin blast deflectors at the end of the barrel, which appear to rule out a simple pouch-style holster:

The other main issue concerns the primary aetheric power source near the centre of the device, which adds a perpendicular element.  Not to put too fine a point on it, it sticks out:

My previous holster design attempts have largely involved a hook onto which this component may be suspended.  Here's another view which may convey a better idea of the thing (pray do not concern yourselves with the apparently anomalous washer; it merely provides a magnetic contact for an internal reed switch):

The hook has not been entirely unsuccessful but lacks elegance, and after three versions I now throw myself upon the charity of this forum and its contributors, most of whom, I dare say, possess considerably more skill in the physical arts than myself.

The putative holster is to be suspended from a Sam Browne belt.  I should also mention the gun is quite a hefty thing, due to some heavy metal involved in its construction.  I own certain quantities of leather, and have been known on occasion to cut straight lines and bang in the odd rivet.  I should greatly appreciate any suggestions regarding overall design, together with suggestions for the appropriate materials (thickness, &c) for construction.

Many thanks in anticipation.

- Hawthorne

Colonel Sir Julius Hawthorne
H.M. Air Privateers (Retd.)

http://capitalsteampunknz.org

Whatever did we do before retro-futurism?
Dr. Madd
Zeppelin Captain
United States United States

Maker of Monsters

« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2014, 11:15:57 am »

I'd attach a sling to it, like a rifle, or perhaps a wooden one like the Mauser c96's stock holster, but cut short enough to fit on the inside of the cuffs.

What do we want? Decapitations!
grimnir
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

Maker of fine Leathercrafts

« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2014, 11:38:11 am »

If it were me I'd make a wooden panel roughly the same shape as the gun. I'd use a pipe clip to secure the barrel
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
and either a moulded leather sleeve and strap for the top or more brass straps and maybe a second, smaller pipe clip for the trigger guard. You can make cutouts on the wood form where the perpendicular sticky-outy bits are Smiley

Kindest regards, Raven

Colonel Hawthorne
Snr. Officer
New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2014, 03:04:59 am »

Thank you, gentlemen.

Grimnir, I think you may be onto something with the pipe clips - more or less a low-tech Robocop approach!  The backing wooden panel could be leather-covered to make it prettier.

I shall explore pipe clips and report back.  Thanks again.
Maets
Immortal

Gravatar

Airship Builder

« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2014, 03:30:33 am »

Nice piece.

Vagabond GentleMan
Zeppelin Captain

Clockwork Sepia

« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2014, 11:58:22 pm »

Google "Steampunk gun holsters"...gun-slinging steampunks are always running into the 'this is a weird shaped barking iron' problem and getting creative...examples on the first page that caught my eye:there were a number of examples on the first page that caught my eye as both creative and aesthetically pleasing... Smiley

Well that wolf has a dimber bonebox, and he'll flash it all milky and red.  But you won't see our Red Jack's spit, nug, cuz he's pinked ya, and yer dead.
Rory B Esq BSc
Snr. Officer
United Kingdom United Kingdom

« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2014, 06:12:01 pm »

Having a rough estimation of size based on recognizable components a 'nautical snap hook' to the trigger guard might work (with a lanyard for extra dependability).
OK you won't win a 'fast draw' competition but it can be fitted or the belt hoops on trousers easily.

Most 'large caliber' handguns had a lanyard so you couldn't lose them in the 'heat of action'...a rather bad thing to happen during a battle.
Colonel Hawthorne
Snr. Officer
New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2014, 11:32:40 pm »

Thank you, gentlemen, for your further contributions.

Mr. Esq, you make an excellent point about securing the weapon to one's person.  It has a decent heft to it, so a likely result of it falling from my side and pulling the lanyard tight would be me falling over sideways, but I appreciate what you have said and will investigate the possibilities.

Mr GentleMan, those Google chaps were my first port of call for my quandary but were unable to give me satisfaction.  The combination of the blast deflectors and large trigger guard appear to have defeated even them.

But following Mr Grimnir's advice I have invested in a quantity of clips and hope to perform certain experiments this weekend.  We shall see.
Madasasteamfish
A clanger waiting to be dropped......
Board Moderator
Rogue Ætherlord
United Kingdom United Kingdom

09madasafish
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2014, 11:59:28 pm »

Have you tried wearing different trousers?  Cheesy

I'm sorry, but the joke had to be made.

I made a note in my diary on the way over here. Simply says; "Bugger!"

"DON'T THINK OF IT AS DYING, JUST THINK OF IT AS LEAVING EARLY TO AVOID THE RUSH."
Steam Titan
Snr. Officer

fulgur adducere

« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2015, 04:51:49 pm »

is the Core of the gun one of those picture holder frames that folds on a hinge?
Caledonian
Zeppelin Admiral
Netherlands Netherlands

the dragon's called Salmacis

« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2015, 04:54:45 pm »

I do have an idea but before I start trying to explain...
how large is it?

"Crazy pseudo-scot living in a fantasy world"
Prof Marvel
Zeppelin Captain

learn from history, or be doomed to repeat it

« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2015, 06:08:36 am »

Colonel Hawthorne - How goes the Quest For Holster?

yhs
prof marvel

Your Humble Servant
~~~~~Professor Algernon Horatio Ubiquitous Marvel The First~~~~~~
President, CEO, Chairman,  and Chief Bottle Washer of
Professor Marvel's Traveling Apothecary and Fortune Telling Emporium

Acclaimed By The Crowned Heads of Europe
Purveyor of Patent Remedies, Snake Oil, Cleaning Supplies, Dry Goods, and Picture Postcards
Offering Unwanted Advice for All Occasions and Providing Useless Items to the Gentry
Since 1822
Otto Von Pifka
Zeppelin Admiral

goggles? they're here somewhere.....

« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2015, 10:41:54 pm »

my first inclination would be find a cardboard tube the barrel fits inside and use it to hold shape to whatever material you use for the holster.

around the power thingie I would make a U shaped brass plate or plates to cradle the power thingie and rivet it into/onto the holster. the sides would be made to enclose the knuckle guard but allow you to grip the gun and access the trigger..

you could use a fairly soft dead nauga skin if you sew it so the cardboard tube slips into the bottom and maybe even use a longer U so it could be riveted to the cardboard too. then its just a matter of getting it to hang properly from whatever you may choose. I would lean towards a sam browne belt for the extra support, something you can make up from a few thrift store belts.
Colonel Hawthorne
Snr. Officer
New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #13 on: September 16, 2015, 03:15:39 am »

My apologies to you all for my apparent lack of interest in your comments.  I assure you this is not the case and I greatly appreciate your taking time to consider by holstering requirements; it's just been a little frantic at what I must call 'work' (your pardon, ladies) recently and I haven't managed to get near BG for a few days.

I have developed a holster that works, but it's not quite as elegant as I might wish (and I have to remove it if I wish to sit down).  The elegance is not as much of a problem as it might be since the weapon in question (yes, Titan, it's a plate/picture stand) is almost always carried under my army greatcoat.  But I'm always willing to revisit a project.  I shall in the next day or so endeavour to put up a photo of what I ended up with, and welcome your further suggestions.
creagmor
Zeppelin Captain
South Africa South Africa

« Reply #14 on: September 18, 2015, 06:00:40 pm »

May one suggest a *break front holster. It has an open front, and with a hole in the bottom, it just might suit your needs.

* I don't know if they still use them but many police forces in the US used to employ them. 

“Love is an emotional thing, and whatever is emotional is opposed to that cold true reason which I place above all things.” Sherlock Holmes, in The Sign of Four.
Colonel Hawthorne
Snr. Officer
New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #15 on: September 20, 2015, 02:58:11 am »

Here's what I ended up with (until something better comes along).

Naked:

With gun (sorry; a little more fuzzy than I'd have liked):

The dog clips hook onto my Sam Browne.
grimnir
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

Maker of fine Leathercrafts

« Reply #16 on: September 21, 2015, 08:40:14 am »

Nice! Glad the pipe clip idea worked for you Smiley
Prof Marvel
Zeppelin Captain

learn from history, or be doomed to repeat it

« Reply #17 on: September 22, 2015, 07:15:05 am »

Excellent solution!
yhs
prof marvel
creagmor
Zeppelin Captain
South Africa South Africa

« Reply #18 on: September 23, 2015, 06:29:08 am »

Very nice indeed. Simple and yet rather elegant as well. This reminds me a bit of the device Josh Randal (Steve Macqueen) used to carry his "mares leg"(a severely cut down Winchester 74) on his belt in the TV oater Wanted Dead or Alive.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2015, 05:58:56 pm by creagmor » Logged
Colonel Hawthorne
Snr. Officer
New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #19 on: September 24, 2015, 04:44:55 am »

Thank you all for your comments and suggestions.
Maets
Immortal

Gravatar

Airship Builder

« Reply #20 on: September 25, 2015, 08:27:32 am »

That worked out nicely.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: