The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
October 23, 2017, 08:06:22 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: How to get organized?  (Read 1340 times)
Herbert West
Zeppelin Captain
United States United States

Director of Preternatural Research, Arkam Museum

« on: October 28, 2014, 01:56:38 am »

I'm sure many of you have the same problem. A workspace covered with bottles of glue, files, scraps of still useable sandpaper, and assorted nuts and screws, and just despair of ever seeing your desk again.

I would be most grateful for any tips folks might have for getting this mess sorted out and keeping it that way.

"I'm not a psychopath Anderson, I'm a high-functioning sociopath. Do your research!" ~Sherlock Holmes
Maets
Immortal

Gravatar

Airship Builder

« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2014, 02:23:29 am »

Your joking, right?  Grin

SeVeNeVeS
Immortal
England England

« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2014, 06:58:54 am »

The most common is using old jars fixed under a shelf.

Herbert West
Zeppelin Captain

Director of Preternatural Research, Arkam Museum

« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2014, 07:25:59 am »

Well hey, one can hope. I suspect I have a better chance of getting organized than of not being single.
Entropy
Gunner
Romania Romania

« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2014, 07:44:48 am »

The most common is using old jars fixed under a shelf.
Sir, you are a genius.
J. Wilhelm
╬ Admiral und Luftschiffengel ╬
Board Moderator
Immortal

Sentisne fortunatum punkus? Veni. Diem meum comple

« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2014, 07:48:41 am »

Well hey, one can hope. I suspect I have a better chance of getting organized than of not being single.

Don't lose hope.  They say one lead top the the other  Grin

In any case I like having a toolbox/bin with a separate set of tools I use for one particular job (something that you do over and over again, say making a chair to give to a silly example), as opposed to having all the tools scattered in their respective boxes, etc.  I call that the "toy box" method, because all the toys simply go into one box or bin.

I find that method allows me to clean the shop very quickly, because all relevant tools (say "chair making tools") go to one box which is at hand all the time, while all construction materials (e.g. wood) go to another box, and all decoration materials (paint or felt, etc) go to another box.  It's a snap to clean between jobs because everything has its place.

Outside of the "toy box" I have another set of tools organised in the traditional manner; i.e. drills in one toolbox, wrenches in another case, saws in another one, and so on...  If I need to borrow a tool from the toolbox and combine with the toy box, I can do it, but I separate the tools immediately after the job and that should not be a very frequent activity.

Rose Inverness
Snr. Officer

Communing with the Over-soul via you.

« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2014, 11:07:21 pm »

First, write down the best possible outcome: the way you'd like your desk (or other space) to serve you when your goal is achieved. Be descriptive. Like, 'my desk is perfectly clear with everything stored in a convenient place,' and you can go into more depth than that if you know more of what you want.

The basic idea is to group "like" items. So, if you're doing the [brilliant] jar method proposed by Seven, put all screws (or even more specific: screws of a certain size) together, then another jar with nails, another with nuts, another with washers, etc.

Collect everything into groups. You'll likely find out funny yet typical things like "Hm, I have 17 screwdrivers and 5 pairs of scissors.... wonder how that happened."

Creating a rack on the wall using either hooks or magnets can be useful for a variety of items.

Depending on how serious you are (I expect people to laugh or scoff at this) you could file sandpaper in folders. Then you'll know where it is.

If it's a matter of motivation, I've found that if I take all of the stuff OFF the surface and put it somewhere that it cannot reasonably stay, sometimes that gets me to start looking through it. (You can always put the unsorted items back if you're not done by the end of the time you allotted for cleaning).

Also, allotting a specific (short) amount of time is useful for people who tend to get overwhelmed and burnt out by organizing. Some folks like to just plow into it for hours and get it out of the way as much as possible. Whatever works for you.

Hope it goes well!

That delicate forest flower,   
With scented breath and look so like a smile,   
Seems, as it issues from the shapeless mould,   
An emanation of the indwelling Life,   
A visible token of the upholding Love,   
That are the soul of this great universe.

~William Cullen Bryant

Trains to Steamtown, this way...
Prof Marvel
Zeppelin Captain

learn from history, or be doomed to repeat it

« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2014, 06:33:20 am »

No Maets, I fear he is not joking.

I too have found myself in the psycotic nonstop confusitorium for nearly 7 years, with too much stuff,
stuff in storage, nowhere to put stuff whilst refinish/remodel/cleaning/fill-in-the-blank is ongoing,
not to mention the unexpected emergency paperwork that never ends caused by hospitalizations and deaths
in the family.

The basic idea is to group "like" items. So, if you're doing the [brilliant] jar method proposed by Seven, put all screws (or even more specific: screws of a certain size) together, then another jar with nails, another with nuts, another with washers, etc.

Collect everything into groups. You'll likely find out funny yet typical things like "Hm, I have 17 screwdrivers and 5 pairs of scissors.... wonder how that happened."

I have reduced it to putting up many many medium size, labelled boxes, dumping everything similar in the right box, and trotting the box out to whatever the current "appropriate place" may be. Storage is in  damp-proof, mouse/vermin resistant areas, ( vermin proofing achieved with 1/4 in hardware cloth slathered with concrete). And shelving. Many many linear feet of floor-to-ceiling shelving. Then At least once the crap precious objects and documents are sorted, boxed, and shoved somewhere which is not the living room, they can at least be found again, and we can get our living room back.

Depending on how serious you are (I expect people to laugh or scoff at this) you could file sandpaper in folders. Then you'll know where it is.

Actually that and another similar method are common to wood-workers - horizontal paper sorters like mail slots:

yhs
prof marvel

Your Humble Servant
~~~~~Professor Algernon Horatio Ubiquitous Marvel The First~~~~~~
President, CEO, Chairman,  and Chief Bottle Washer of
Professor Marvel's Traveling Apothecary and Fortune Telling Emporium

Acclaimed By The Crowned Heads of Europe
Purveyor of Patent Remedies, Snake Oil, Cleaning Supplies, Dry Goods, and Picture Postcards
Offering Unwanted Advice for All Occasions and Providing Useless Items to the Gentry
Since 1822
Rose Inverness
Snr. Officer

Communing with the Over-soul via you.

« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2014, 02:48:38 am »

Actually that and another similar method are common to wood-workers - horizontal paper sorters like mail slots:

yhs
prof marvel

Well how nice. Validation. Wink

Rose
Hurricane Annie
Zeppelin Captain
New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2014, 06:26:25 am »

I use  a special organiser first thing in the morning and again late afternoon to put  items in that are lying around where they shouldn't be,   for  a technical disposal process.

Here is and example  below

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: November 10, 2014, 01:31:11 am by Hurricane Annie » Logged
Wilhelm Smydle
Snr. Officer

« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2014, 11:13:04 pm »

Blueprint and server cabinets are your friends.

The more time you spend cleaning the less time to spend hunting for parts and tools.
depending on your collection of parts/tools storage changes.

blacksmiths, use different storage systems then machinists.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: