The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
October 18, 2017, 04:04:39 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Support BrassGoggles! Donate once or $3/mo.
 See details here.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: How did you get into Steampunk?  (Read 2919 times)
Miss Indigo Darling
Officer
United States United States

Adventuress

« Reply #50 on: March 13, 2015, 09:36:54 pm »

Lucky you, I would love to be able to attend South by Southwest!

I'm still searching for an accordion player to put a duo project together. The idea is to write and perform punked out cabaret tunes. So far no luck. Anybody around here who plays accordion and would be on board with such a thing is already working 3 or more gigs and is too overbooked to take on something new. Accordion music  has become wildly popular around here in the last several years, and good accordionists are rare. Even the not so good ones are working, which is a mixed blessing for audiences everywhere...

"Of all the fishes in the sea, my favourite is the bass. He climbs up on the tall sea weed, and slides down on his hands and knees."
J. Wilhelm
╬ Admiral und Luftschiffengel ╬
Board Moderator
Immortal

Sentisne fortunatum punkus? Veni. Diem meum comple

« Reply #51 on: March 14, 2015, 02:38:23 am »

Where to find an accordeon player?  Depends, in which province of the Colonies do you reside?

Miss Indigo Darling
Officer

Adventuress

« Reply #52 on: March 15, 2015, 02:36:18 am »

I am currently located in the snow covered outlands far to the West of the fair city of Boston Massachusetts.  There is a shop about half an hour's travel from here, which sells and repairs all types of accordion, from the humble concertina to huge multi-button monstrosities.  When the snow and bitter cold abate to the point where I can venture out, my clever plan was to post a sign outlining my plight, and hoping this might entice a proficient accordion player who isn't thrice overbooked already to consider my request.  This may or may not work, but it's a start.

Tell me, my good man, do you know where the elusive accordionists are lurking?
umfederon
Spammer
Banned user
Swab
France France

« Reply #53 on: March 17, 2015, 04:47:04 am »

My take on physics is controversial. I don't think that particles exists. I think that the universe is close to infinite standing waves, where the end point of each wave is the core of the atom.

« Last Edit: May 22, 2015, 10:45:10 pm by Siliconous Skumins » Logged
Hurricane Annie
Zeppelin Captain
New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #54 on: March 17, 2015, 07:22:18 am »

...well I started off as a spam bot ....

J. Wilhelm
╬ Admiral und Luftschiffengel ╬
Board Moderator
Immortal

Sentisne fortunatum punkus? Veni. Diem meum comple

« Reply #55 on: March 17, 2015, 09:30:02 pm »

My take on physics is controversial. I don't think that particles exists. I think that the universe is close to infinite standing waves, where the end point of each wave is the core of the atom.

That sound like an adaptive Finite Element mesh, with orthogonal periodic functions filling the space between nodes (atoms)   I happen to know more-than-just a bit about Finite Element numerical simulations.  That's a really hard argument to make.
GrantS
Deck Hand

« Reply #56 on: March 24, 2015, 07:53:14 pm »

I got my start on Dieselpunk actually  Grin   I was always a hardcore fan of a game called Crimson Skies, set in the 1920/30's with air pirates, zeppelins and aircraft.   A few other players of it recommended steampunk and I loved it.

I will admit that I had done no costuming/building even after years of enjoying steampunk until the last two weeks to go to a local convention (first one in Montana that I know of).   Got me hooked  Grin   Think I'll be a permanent fixture from now on.

Herbert West
Zeppelin Captain

Director of Preternatural Research, Arkam Museum

« Reply #57 on: March 26, 2015, 03:27:29 am »

I suppose going to a drive-in to see The Great Race when I was about six years old and deciding that it was the best thing ever had something to do with it.

"I'm not a psychopath Anderson, I'm a high-functioning sociopath. Do your research!" ~Sherlock Holmes
Hurricane Annie
Zeppelin Captain
New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #58 on: March 26, 2015, 03:31:21 am »

I suppose going to a drive-in to see The Great Race when I was about six years old and deciding that it was the best thing ever had something to do with it.

It was the Munsters and Magnificent men In their  Flying machine for me !
Alva Maria
Officer

« Reply #59 on: March 26, 2015, 03:40:22 am »

It started young for me. It might have been the shows I watched, I remember being enamored with Tarzan when it came out from Disney, and then Atlantis and Treasure Planet kind of sealed the deal for me. I never really had a word for it until I saw a special on robots or something or other, and a team from San Francisco or something or other. It's always kind of been there and present with me, but the Victorian era and the aesthetic of it all. I think I was a sophmore in high school when i found out there was a word for it. 6 years later here i am...
Hurricane Annie
Zeppelin Captain
New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #60 on: March 26, 2015, 03:53:18 am »

It started young for me. It might have been the shows I watched, I remember being enamored with Tarzan when it came out from Disney, and then Atlantis and Treasure Planet kind of sealed the deal for me. I never really had a word for it until I saw a special on robots or something or other, and a team from San Francisco or something or other. It's always kind of been there and present with me, but the Victorian era and the aesthetic of it all. I think I was a sophmore in high school when i found out there was a word for it. 6 years later here i am...

Disney has  a lot to answer for doesn't it  !

We had The wonderful World of Disney on repeat and  cartoons such as Clutch Cargo that  had Disney voice actors.

Marvelous stuff for young  impressionable and malleable  minds
Maets
Immortal

Gravatar

Airship Builder

« Reply #61 on: March 26, 2015, 01:57:46 pm »

A lot of is about never growing up.

I get asked a lot at shows about where I get my ideas.  I usually say that I never grew up.  Just a big kid playing with toys.

frances
Zeppelin Captain
United Kingdom United Kingdom

« Reply #62 on: March 27, 2015, 12:21:25 am »

I was a very grown-up child.  As I get older I find I get sillier and sillier.  Yea for steampunk.
Aubreay Fallowfield
Snr. Officer

« Reply #63 on: March 27, 2015, 05:00:20 pm »

As I get older I find I get sillier and sillier

As it should be Grin

Tis' bona to vada your dolly old eke.
Edmund Charles Rutherford
Gunner

While there's tea, there's hope -Sir Arthur Pinero

« Reply #64 on: March 29, 2015, 07:18:03 am »

I suppose I can blame my mother for this.  I am a CDO (OCD for those of you who don't mind things out of alphabetical order), dyslexic, high-functioning autistic, and not a terribly social person by nature.  Though I wasn't diagnosed as a child, my mother recognized that I had issues. 

Even before she began home-schooling me she was working with me daily with my reading skills, which were the most evident problem I had at the time.  As I got older and began to hide from the scary world outside by burying myself in books, she began to recommend authors and books to me...and many of them were Victorian authors.

I fell in love with Jules Verne, especially 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea.  The idea of a steam-powered submarine that could travel great distances, and dive to such great depths, while commonplace now, was science fiction then...and this fact did NOT elude me.  I was hooked on the idea of science fiction from a Victorian perspective. 

By the time I was in high-school I had become better at pretending to be social, but that did not keep me away from my books.  I began to discover Steampunk novels, and I loved them.  I was also very interested in the costuming aspect of the Steampunk genre, and began to look into acquiring that as well. 

By the time I joined the US Air Force I had found a way to be generally social, but still lacked the funding to join the ranks of the Steampunk subculture.  But I longed to with a great passion.  It was not until I began doing American Civil War reenacting, Old West gunfights, and the like, that I began to cross-utilize my Victorian military and cowboy clothing for conventions and meetups.  And I was ecstatic!  I was no longer just a fan of the literary genre, but an actual member of the Steampunk ranks!

Fast-forward another decade, and I have now left the military service for a calmer lifestyle that is easier on my general health and well-being.  And my passion for Steampunk everything has not dwindled.  I have invested years in research, as well as many hard-earned dollars to build the medical doctor's persona that I now use.  Though I have much more to learn as I work to refine my persona, I can look back and thank my mother for not only introducing me to so many wonderful books, but to a subculture that has helped to bring me out of my shell and be able to comfortably socialize with other wonderfully quirky and eccentric folks who are in many ways not terribly different from me.

So yes, thanks to my wonderful mother are in order for my involvement in this wonderful culture of people who call themselves "Steampunks".  And a thanks to all of you, and people like you, who have fostered my ever growing enthusiasm for all things Victorian and Steampunk.  It is because of people like you, my mother included, that I find myself at home here, and amongst Steampunk groups everywhere I travel.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Slaínte,

Edmund

Some men see things as they are and ask why. Others dream things that never were and ask why not.
~George Bernard Shaw
Burgess Shale
Officer

« Reply #65 on: April 01, 2015, 06:41:18 pm »

I don't recall exactly how I got into it. I was at Capricon, I think, or maybe Windycon where I had heard about Teslacon. I told my wife, "I totally have to go to this Teslacon thing." We were only able to get tickets for that Saturday, but we've been hooked since then. That first event was so inspiring, we've gone from putting together outfits from what we had on hand to designing and sewing our own wardrobes over the last few years and concocting bizarre back stories.

Dean of the Department of Palaeontology at the American Institute of Natural History and Decorative Arts
T.O.M
Deck Hand

Technologically Obsolete Machine

« Reply #66 on: April 01, 2015, 07:18:14 pm »

Ive been into steampunk ever since i was created, most likely because i am steampunk myself.
is that what you humans call vanity?

T.O.M - Technologically Obsolete Machine
Supercrew
Deck Hand
Wales Wales

« Reply #67 on: May 04, 2015, 07:12:47 pm »

I can't remember a time when I wasn't fascinated with the workings of steam engines.Once adulthood had arrived (has it?) I spent so much of my time poking around old Victorian industrial sites and railway remains (still do) and found a few pieces of cast iron machinery which I still have. Then in 2006 I discovered Secondlife and immediately began building my own virtual versions of impossible engines complete with (scripted) moving parts, roaring fireboxes and steam plumes. Then I was told it was called Steampunk. Now I've progressed to making my own humble mad machines in real life. Steampunk seems to have been built into my genes. Perhaps I was a Victorian engineer in a past life Smiley .. Could Steampunk perhaps be defined as Brunel meets Heath Robinson with a touch of Biggles thrown in for good measure?

Confusion is not necessarily an impediment.
DikkeVetteVlinder
Gunner
Netherlands Netherlands

« Reply #68 on: May 04, 2015, 07:32:06 pm »

Music, mostly. Liked the aesthetic as well, so it kind of crept into my drawings a little as well :')

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: