The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
October 17, 2017, 10:41:23 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: How did you get into Steampunk?  (Read 2917 times)
Aubreay Fallowfield
Snr. Officer
United Kingdom United Kingdom

« Reply #25 on: October 29, 2014, 12:17:18 pm »

jonb did you by any chance get to see the Emett exhibition in Birmingham?

Tis' bona to vada your dolly old eke.
jonb
Snr. Officer
England England

« Reply #26 on: October 29, 2014, 12:29:34 pm »

I would have loved to unfortunately the body I am occupying at the moment does not work well so I am a little restricted in movement, but I am signed up to the society and follow it fanatically.
Aubreay Fallowfield
Snr. Officer

« Reply #27 on: October 30, 2014, 10:44:53 pm »

Sorry to hear. We had a steampunk group visit earlier this year. Cue lots of bemused looks from other visitors
J. Wilhelm
╬ Admiral und Luftschiffengel ╬
Board Moderator
Immortal
United States United States

Sentisne fortunatum punkus? Veni. Diem meum comple

« Reply #28 on: November 03, 2014, 05:57:24 am »

I guess repeating what I wrote years ago, I was always a tinkerer and a fan of Jules Verne's books, but I actually found the movement proper when I followed photographs posted in model sites such as modelmayhem.  I was looking at the alternative scene photos, and I found that there was in fact a whole movement attached behind the aesthetic.  Then I found I had common interests with the community.

Inflatable Friend
Zeppelin Admiral
Italy Italy

« Reply #29 on: November 03, 2014, 09:15:32 am »

Via the combined powers of MGM and Disney.

They and others laid the loving foundations in my youth that as an adult I would build a fantastical love for fantasy, adventure and many things historical-retroish.
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

"This is the sort of thing no-one ever believes"

rtafStElmo
« Reply #30 on: November 03, 2014, 07:27:48 pm »

Steampunk?!

....Wait - I'm a steampunk??

When did that happen?

Wink

Just a few minutes ago, I suppose. Now, just don't go saying "I'm a fan of..."

Walk softly and carry a big banjo...

""quid statis aspicientes in infernum"
ca1288
Deck Hand

« Reply #31 on: November 03, 2014, 07:40:08 pm »

personally, i have always been a inventor at heart. as i went through life i found this genre and fell in love with it. that, and the time machine from back to the future
Dr Fidelius
Zeppelin Admiral

Professor of Applied Paleontology, Miskatonic U.

« Reply #32 on: November 06, 2014, 01:52:46 pm »

I did not "get into" Steampunk. I have always liked the way the future was in Victorian/Edwardian days, I have worn tweed and vests for years, I carried a pocketwatch and appreciate a nice hat.

You people have just recently caught up with me and given a label to my existing interests.

The opinions expressed here are my own, and do not represent any other persons, organizations, spirits, thinking machines, hive minds or other sentient beings on this world or any adjacent dimensions in the multiverse.
Mr. Syson
Officer

« Reply #33 on: December 01, 2014, 03:19:31 am »

I've been into sci fi since I was about 7 or 8 and became interested in the Victorian era in my late teens. It's strange, even though I'd read Verne, Wells, Moorcock and Gibson I never really put the two together. It was only because I live near Lincoln that I read about the Asylum and decided to go. It was so strange, everything just fell into place & even Mrs Syson loved it.
koeta
Deck Hand
Canada Canada

Falcon in the dive

« Reply #34 on: December 03, 2014, 02:10:14 am »

I've loved Victorian fashion since I was very little, and have always had an interest in sci-fi and fantasy.  I also developed quite a love for alternate history in recent years and well, here we are.

Still taking my baby steps but I'm getting there!
VampirateMace
Zeppelin Captain

Mein Hexapod

« Reply #35 on: December 04, 2014, 08:24:19 am »

Um... let's see, it's more of how did I realize I love Steampunk.

I'd heard the name before, but it had no meaning, until I was Abney Park being interviewed on a variety show (they also talked about urban spelunking, which was how I got to watching it, because that stuff's cool too). When Robert explained what Steampunk was, or rather the spectrum of what it could be, I realized it was full of a good deal of all the things I love. "I love all that stuff."

Not long after I found my way here, and one of the reasons I'm happy it was here that I found, is because I prefer finished products that will last a lifetime to the more cardboardy Steamjunk that a lot of Americans settle for. There's nothing wrong with a temporary costume or prop I suppose, it's just not the way I like things. I make props for small LARPs that are practically functional.

ClockworkCrisis
Deck Hand

By God sir, look at the bustle on that woman!

« Reply #36 on: January 19, 2015, 07:52:54 am »

I actually got into it when I bought a pair of goggles at a con a couple years back. A few days after, I was wearing them around my neck, and my friend Michael was like "Woah, cool goggles! I didn't know you were into steampunk! " I explained that I wasn't actually sure what steampunk was, I had just bought them because I thought they looked unique. So he kindly told me all about it, the airships, the corsets, and everything in between. And I thought it sounded amazing! So that night, I Googled it to learn a bit more about it, and I fell in love instantly. I discovered a wonderful community full of kindhearted and interesting people rich with creativity. I've loved steampunk ever since, and I'm so happy to have been a part of such a great group of people.
Niila
Officer
Finland Finland

« Reply #37 on: January 22, 2015, 07:48:45 am »

Safest bet would be browsing in DeviantArt when I was 14-15 years old (that's almost 10 years ago...). But I'm not sure, these kind of things tend to slip away from my mind.
GCCC
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #38 on: February 04, 2015, 04:19:01 am »

Since childhood, I've always been too sickly to go outside and play (asthma, and I'm allergic to everything that produces pollen or dander, so, basically, I'm allergic to the planet), and my mother encouraged my escape into the fantasy worlds of literature and cinema. Verne and Wells, among others, were huge parts of that growing-up. I've always enjoyed the aesthetic, vibe, what-have-you of Victorian-era science fiction, but never knew it was a "thing" until my lady introduced me to the term some years ago, based on some books she'd been reading (I think Cherie Priest and Scott Westerfeld, to start). Of course, after she'd explained it to me, I realized I had been "into" Steampunk since the 1960s.
Renderking Fisk
Swab

Keep your chins up and your fedora on!

fedorachronicle
« Reply #39 on: February 09, 2015, 11:47:57 pm »

I used to hide from my mother and my evil psudo-stepfather by hiding out in the library and one time I was looking at this book about vintage SF books and magazines. I looked at them and wished I was there instead of here.

I have always felt naked without a fedora, and each time I see a movie about that era I've felt this sense of nostalgia - like I'm looking at pictures and movies from a home I can never go back to.
Blake
Gunner

« Reply #40 on: February 10, 2015, 09:20:42 pm »

I've always enjoyed the work of verne, wells, arthur conan doyle, moorcock and later came across the term steampunk, probably about 5 or so years ago. After finding out more about the term I found it linked a lot of my interests together even some I thought didn't link.

lost in thought, not vacated the premises.
Cousin Itt
Officer

Kontraptional Ungineer

« Reply #41 on: February 11, 2015, 03:45:16 pm »

I've always liked the Jules Verne movie adaptations, The Wild Wild West, etc.. Roll Eyes
I've also always liked using, or adapting old things into something usefull today. Wink
Our house is a pre 1870 Farm House, & we supplement are heating with an 1880's Parlor Stove, & a 1918 wood/coal/gas Kitchen Range. Grin

Steampunk  Huh
I didn't know the term until I saw my first Steampunk computer keyboard.  Shocked
I then started looking around and found the forum here at Brass Goggles, and saw more creations that I like.  Undecided
It was downhill, or was it simply sideways from there.  Cheesy
Maxwell B. Cooper
Officer

Imitation shows a lack of imagination.

« Reply #42 on: February 11, 2015, 06:14:40 pm »

I've always had an appreciation for mechanical contraptions, which I had gained from my father (a successful mechanical engineer) who often laments the modern world's over reliance on electronics. How exactly that appreciation lead me to discover Steampunk, I can't quite remember, but I'm glad I did.

“One machine can do the work of fifty ordinary men. No machine can do the work of one extraordinary man.” – Elbert Hubbard

The Imperial Code of the Second British Empire:
1. Be decent.
2. Carry on.

“If I could create an ideal world, it would be an England with the fire of the Elizabethans, the correct taste of the Georgians, and the refinement and pure ideals of the Victorians.” – H. P. Lovecraft
Hurricane Annie
Zeppelin Captain
New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #43 on: February 11, 2015, 10:45:48 pm »

was it  the cliche stagey  period movies and TV shows of my youth  , with the non authentic props from other eras.

was it the hokey  historic based   childrens movies  with their stylised backdrops  and rosey  tinted lenses  set in villages  and towns where the sun always  shone - unless the bad guys had the heros trapped in the haunted house

Was the weird and wonderful mix of ephemera  and paraphernalia that older relatives and neighbours kept  - just out of a small child's reach..
Sigmund Shaw
Deck Hand

The Yard has been notified.

« Reply #44 on: March 10, 2015, 01:39:06 am »

Like many others, I liked steampunk before I knew it had a name.  Avid Jules Verne reader along with the many viewings of the Great Race as a kid was a start.  My grandmother had a wind up music box with a viewing window - I remember being transfixed by the cogs and wheels and would love to watch it at work.
Argus McJohnsten
Gunner

Gravatar

Still learning.

rovingtriker
« Reply #45 on: March 10, 2015, 05:04:41 am »

Heard about it a few years ago, I think it was on Make TV, thought it looked cool. Was told about a tweed ride, but knew I wouldn't fit in, so I thought steampunk would be an acceptable variation. That snowballed into really liking the aesthetics, and my wife is always telling me I need a hobby, so here I am.

Find out what you cannot do, and then, go out and do it.
Rory B Esq BSc
Snr. Officer

« Reply #46 on: March 11, 2015, 03:52:38 pm »

In my long list of 'Steampunk' influences throughout the last 45+ years are... aviation historian (useful when I'm doing a picture of an airship), Anthropologist and social historian, Missionary and aid worker. dealer in books and millitaria, restoring old engines, 'Fortean' researcher, prospector,  treasure hunter and geologist, plus writer of radical pamphlets and 'rabble rouser'.

Add in a large eccentric and...

I guess it was inevitable....What else could I be?

CloudWolf
Officer

airship pirate

« Reply #47 on: March 11, 2015, 06:39:15 pm »

i have always loved to make, due to being mocked for my disability i spent most of my early childhood in my room making things out of anything i could find and reading a lot. i actually came across steampunk by accident at school and fell in love. without realizing i'd been into and reading steampunk for years. now here i am, feeling more at home than ever and i'm actually going out and doing things. plus i've always loved smart dress as opposed to the rubbish most of the people my age wear. it just all fits

Someone ever tries to kill you, you try to kill 'em right back.
Miss Indigo Darling
Officer

Adventuress

« Reply #48 on: March 12, 2015, 07:26:41 pm »

I evolved into it through the music scene. Fellow musician friends of mine influenced me in the Steampunk direction, and I was interested to see what it was all about. I really liked what I discovered. There's so much to it. Experimentation, innovation, ideas. Love it!  I've always enjoyed making things, and the look of copper, brass and other natural materials is something I find quite appealing. My interest in Science Fiction began when I read Jules Verne and HG Wells back when I was a kid. I also remember watching The Great Race and Wild Wild West, and loving every minute of it. 
 I really like the idea of returning to the mindset of the Age of Innovation without the sexism, racism, environmental toxicity and genocide which tainted the past. Besides, any movement which reveres tea is something which I can relate to.

"Of all the fishes in the sea, my favourite is the bass. He climbs up on the tall sea weed, and slides down on his hands and knees."
J. Wilhelm
╬ Admiral und Luftschiffengel ╬
Board Moderator
Immortal

Sentisne fortunatum punkus? Veni. Diem meum comple

« Reply #49 on: March 13, 2015, 10:15:21 am »

I evolved into it through the music scene. Fellow musician friends of mine influenced me in the Steampunk direction, and I was interested to see what it was all about. I really liked what I discovered. There's so much to it. Experimentation, innovation, ideas. Love it!  I've always enjoyed making things, and the look of copper, brass and other natural materials is something I find quite appealing. My interest in Science Fiction began when I read Jules Verne and HG Wells back when I was a kid. I also remember watching The Great Race and Wild Wild West, and loving every minute of it. 
 I really like the idea of returning to the mindset of the Age of Innovation without the sexism, racism, environmental toxicity and genocide which tainted the past. Besides, any movement which reveres tea is something which I can relate to.

Yes, Steampunk musicians are quite the characters.  Speaking of which, we are only one day from the South by SouthWest festival.  There's a few Steampunk musicians bound to be around here.  Usually I try to find and pair up with people like Ms. Darwin Prophet (whom I haven't heard from in a couple of years, BTW)...
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: