The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
October 20, 2017, 03:18:59 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Support BrassGoggles! Donate once or $3/mo.
 See details here.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: How did you get into Steampunk?  (Read 2921 times)
Thiswayandthat
Swab

United Kingdom United Kingdom

« on: October 24, 2014, 11:59:52 pm »

Hi, I don't know if this has been posted here before but I was wondering how other people got into Steampunk, like what attracted you or interested you to it in the first place and why? As a follow up question how old were you when you first got into it and how long have you been a steampunk?
Hurricane Annie
Zeppelin Captain
New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2014, 12:40:10 am »

I have always maintained an interest in  what would now be referred to as Steampunk  design, art , style and  culture. new Zealand  it can be argued was built on Steampunk concepts.

I first discovered  Steampunk a few years ago while looking for images and ideas for a hospitality  and tourism related  project.
Atterton
Time Traveler

Only The Shadow knows

« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2014, 01:44:13 am »

I was blackmailed.

Resurrectionist and freelance surgeon.
thezombiekat
Gunner
Australia Australia

« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2014, 01:46:12 am »

i had been reading girl genius for years, but it was at the world con in London that,l on a whim, i went into a panel on beginners steam punk costuming and decided, i want to be involved in this.
J. Wilhelm
╬ Admiral und Luftschiffengel ╬
Board Moderator
Immortal
United States United States

Sentisne fortunatum punkus? Veni. Diem meum comple

« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2014, 02:33:30 am »

I was blackmailed.

Funny  the way I remember it, I thought you were caught by the impressment gang.  Quite a fight you put up on your way up to the airship's deck...  Grin

pakled
Zeppelin Captain

Minions Local 305, at your thervice!

« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2014, 06:16:36 am »

Girl Genius...an enabler strip...Wink That and (oh, the heresy) - The Difference Engine...Wink
Aubreay Fallowfield
Snr. Officer

« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2014, 07:05:36 am »

Stockholm syndrome

Tis' bona to vada your dolly old eke.
Rory B Esq BSc
Snr. Officer

« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2014, 04:20:07 pm »

I found that the name for what included my many interests was 'Steampunk', I'd been reading Jules Verne and such like since the late 60's, hunting cryptids and other Fortean activities, tinkering with mechanical things and having adventures most of my life. So for me it was a case of 'Oh that's what it's called'! rather than 'deciding' to become a steampunk.

It's much quicker for me to say I'm a Steampunk than to list all the aspects of steampunk that I can bring together under that title.
James Harrison
Immortal
England England

Bachelor of the Arts; Master of the Sciences

« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2014, 06:16:42 pm »

Honestly?

I was born this way  Cheesy

I found the moniker whilst idly browsing the internet back in, I think, 2005 or '06 and immediately felt at home. 

Persons intending to travel by open carriage should select a seat with their backs to the engine, by which means they will avoid the ashes emitted therefrom, that in travelling generally, but particularly through the tunnels, prove a great annoyance; the carriage farthest from the engine will in consequence be found the most desirable.
frances
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2014, 07:32:16 pm »

I slotted right in.  It is a place where you do not have to pretend to be something you are not.  I was a steampunk before I knew it existed.

Why do you want to know?
chicar
Rogue Ætherlord
Canada Canada

Student in Techno-Shamanism and Lyncanthrope

Chicar556
« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2014, 10:03:49 pm »

I always been a fan of both sci-fi and history . At the beggining i was inserting some historical inspiration in my daydream, but was still basically anticipation sci-fi. Until  i stumble on the word ''uchronie''. It was the search for the definition (it basically the french term for the alternate history genre) who opened the door to steampunk.

The word pagan came from paganus , who mean peasant . Its was a way to significate than christianism was the religion of the elite and paganism the one of the savage worker class.

''Trickster shows us how we trick OURSELVES. Her rampant curiosity backfires, but, then, something NEW is discovered (though usually not what She expected)! This is where creativity comes from—experiment, do something different, maybe even something forbidden, and voila! A breakthrough occurs! Ha! Ha! We are released! The world is created anew! Do something backwards, break your own traditions, the barrier breaks; destroy the world as you know it, let the new in.''
Extract of the Dreamflesh article ''Path of The Sacred Clown''
Sludge Van Diesel
Zeppelin Captain
England England

SteampunkDJ.co.uk

« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2014, 10:47:15 pm »

I sort of tripped over it.

I've always liked Verne & Wells type fiction (The Time Machine, 20,000 Leagues etc being among my favourite films since childhood).

Drifted into the style of clothing in the 80s in my Goth days.

The catalyst was discovering Abney Park, Vernian Process & The Men That Will Not Be Blamed For Nothing on the same day.

Better to study for one hour with the wise, than to drink wine with the foolish

www.steampunkdj.co.uk  Please follow me on Twitter https://twitter.com/SteampunkDJ & Facebook https://www.facebook.com/steampunkdj
Herbert West
Zeppelin Captain

Director of Preternatural Research, Arkam Museum

« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2014, 01:53:03 am »

I've been a fan of Victorian Sci-fi for as long as I can remember, thanks partly to seeing The Great Race, and watching The Wild, Wild West as a child, and reading the works of Jules Verne in high school. Not to mention the usual assortment of films in the genre. And I'm sure a fondness for WW1-2 era military aircraft played a part as well.

I just didn't realize there was a name for it until a few years ago when friends invited me to my first Steamcon.

"I'm not a psychopath Anderson, I'm a high-functioning sociopath. Do your research!" ~Sherlock Holmes
J. Wilhelm
Board Moderator
Immortal

« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2014, 04:08:10 am »

Somebody in Facebook and Twitter started making a lot of noise about some "Brassgoggles domain which had expired."  So I had to come and see what was going on. Something about a "Proteus," some lady named Amanda, and the evil forces of Dr. Steel

Grin  Grin  Grin  (Just kidding - I've been in this forum since we stopped feeding the pterodactyls).
« Last Edit: October 28, 2014, 07:17:16 am by J. Wilhelm » Logged
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

"This is the sort of thing no-one ever believes"

rtafStElmo
« Reply #14 on: October 28, 2014, 06:35:35 am »

There was this manhole...

I've been in thos forum since we stopped feeding the pterodactyls.

So THAT"S why they were following me!
« Last Edit: October 28, 2014, 06:40:32 am by MWBailey » Logged

Walk softly and carry a big banjo...

""quid statis aspicientes in infernum"
Maets
Immortal

Gravatar

Airship Builder

« Reply #15 on: October 28, 2014, 12:46:32 pm »

If the question is "How do you get into a Steampunk?"  Start by buying her dinner and see what develops.

poisonpearl
Deck Hand
England England

Ablutions expert....part time poisoner

strangebrewsoap
« Reply #16 on: October 28, 2014, 01:54:06 pm »

Honestly....Secondlife. I didn't even know Steampunk existed before then, and I found the aesthetic wonderful.

Now a few years on, I've decided to make it my reality

It is by no means an irrational fancy that, in a future existence, we shall look upon what we think our present existence, as a dream.
Madasasteamfish
A clanger waiting to be dropped......
Rogue Ætherlord

09madasafish
« Reply #17 on: October 28, 2014, 07:35:31 pm »

I got pressganged into it (you'll sign anything when you're drunk).
« Last Edit: October 29, 2014, 11:45:24 am by Madasasteamfish » Logged

I made a note in my diary on the way over here. Simply says; "Bugger!"

"DON'T THINK OF IT AS DYING, JUST THINK OF IT AS LEAVING EARLY TO AVOID THE RUSH."
Aubreay Fallowfield
Snr. Officer

« Reply #18 on: October 28, 2014, 09:13:03 pm »

If the question is "How do you get into a Steampunk?"  Start by buying her dinner and see what develops.

That's assuming the Steampunk is a she..... Smiley
Athanor
Zeppelin Admiral
Canada Canada

Keep them off-balance and brazen it out!

« Reply #19 on: October 28, 2014, 09:38:08 pm »

I found that the name for what included my many interests was 'Steampunk', I'd been reading Jules Verne and such like since the late 60's, hunting cryptids and other Fortean activities, tinkering with mechanical things and having adventures most of my life. So for me it was a case of 'Oh that's what it's called'! rather than 'deciding' to become a steampunk.

Yeah, same here, except even earlier. Grew up in the 50s reading Rupert Bear and Verne and Wells and those wonderful Arthur Ransome children's books and old copies of Model Engineer magazine and early sci-fi and fantasy. Lived in the Crewe area as British Railways indulged in its last fling with steam; my father and two uncles were railwaymen, and I in my turn became a railwayman (engineering apprentice). Fascinated by all kinds of science and technology, from steam engines to 1950s computers to spaceships, and especially "fringe science" such as alchemy and UFOs; started making stuff at about the age of 6 or 7, model boats and cars and trains from card and paper and scraps of wood, getting in trouble for using my mother's dressmaking scissors and getting blobs of glue all over the kitchen table; bought my first actual tools at age 12, first lathe at 18, and by then the madness was incurable. But, yeah, didn't come across the word "steampunk" until a few years ago, in an issue of Make magazine I think it was, and suddenly realised there was a name for what I was doing. Then I discovered Brass Goggles and it seemed like I'd, finally, come home.....

Athanor.

"Truly I say to you, he who seeks, shall find. And quite often, he shall wish he hadn't."

- Elias Ashmole Crackbone.
CaptHowlingMadMurdock
Gunner

« Reply #20 on: October 28, 2014, 09:44:04 pm »

I guess I never really got into steampunk honestly. I have always just liked the aesthetics of it. Something about wood, metal, and old tech. Just recently have I got into the clothing. Machines that run off steam.. But it's slowly taking over. I like hand making things if I can so I guess it's just a natural attraction to steampunk. That and being big on Sci Fi.

So I guess Steampunk got into me instead?  Tongue

~~ Engineer "Howling Mad" Murdock Wingfield ~~
jonb
Snr. Officer
England England

« Reply #21 on: October 29, 2014, 03:41:23 am »

Heath Robinson.

Teaching German's to goose step.
or

And also
Roland Emett

sitting on one of his machines
These were the inspiration of my childhood.
I love eccentricity in many forms and think the preparedness to be eccentric is far more important to the human experience than most people would accept. With that influence how could I not be into steampunk
Siliconous Skumins
Server Monk
Governor
Rogue Ætherlord

« Reply #22 on: October 29, 2014, 07:22:51 am »

Steampunk?!

....Wait - I'm a steampunk??

When did that happen?

Wink

[Server Prayer]
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
J. Wilhelm
Board Moderator
Immortal

« Reply #23 on: October 29, 2014, 08:52:07 am »

Steampunk?!

....Wait - I'm a steampunk??

When did that happen?

Wink

Your induction to the forum was the result of an experiment performed in the dungeon lab downstairs. You may notice some rather large stitches along the crown of your scalp.

Mwahahahahaha!

I got pressganged into it (you'll sign anything when your drunk).

You came in rather happily.  All it took was some stout followed by fish and chips.  10 years service for each chip, if I remember correctly.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2014, 08:54:55 am by J. Wilhelm » Logged
Madasasteamfish
A clanger waiting to be dropped......
Rogue Ætherlord

09madasafish
« Reply #24 on: October 29, 2014, 11:47:47 am »

I got pressganged into it (you'll sign anything when you're drunk).

You came in rather happily.  All it took was some stout followed by fish and chips.  10 years service for each chip, if I remember correctly.

Something like that. Sigh, 5 years before the masthead boiler down, only another 150 to go....
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: