The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
October 24, 2017, 08:50:43 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Support BrassGoggles! Donate once or $3/mo.
 See details here.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: A humble request to Steampunk convention merchants  (Read 1712 times)
Vagabond GentleMan
Zeppelin Captain
United States United States

Clockwork Sepia

« Reply #25 on: October 20, 2014, 06:45:27 pm »

Wilhelm, I'm growing fonder and fonder of ya.  Just sayin'.

So briefly, I too am in the middle on the Nature/Nurture debate both in general and specifically regarding gender...but I'd have to say that I intuitively feel that adornment and fashion and so forth would be a 'gender-behavior' that falls more onto the Nurture side of things.  Aside from the plethora of cultures where the men are the more adorned of the genders (without naming names, there are male 'fashion show' rituals in some East African nations, American Indian nations, and Papua New Guinea nations) there have certainly been periods where Western culture has encouraged the male Peacock.  I'm thinking about the Elizabethan period amongst others...clothes, make-up, wigs, high-heeled shoes, lace, etc.
I think one could make an argument that many of the Islamic cultures today are...well, something like that; at least in the fact that women wear the full-body traditional coverings and men wear whatever they like, making them I suppose the de-facto more-adorned-gender.

That being said, we live in an era that for whatever reasons has decided the female is the Adorned One.  And yes, in agreement with Mr. West, I feel it's a real bum deal for us.  I envy women in general for the great variety of clothing and adornment options they have in comparison to the slim pickins males are limited to.  Conversely, in the Mainstream I'm generally disappointed that with SO many socially acceptable options of dress and adornment, looking over a crowd of mainstream ladies is STILL akin to looking over a plate of cookie-cutter cut cookies.

To sing Our Praises, though, the dearth of male fashion options is one of the reasons we Steampunk Males (and the Punks and Goths and all others who came before us) end up Makers.  Sewing, leatherworking, metalworking, cobbling, harberdasher-ing, etc...we end up with a good handful of practical skills often by necessity.  That's cool.

Well that wolf has a dimber bonebox, and he'll flash it all milky and red.  But you won't see our Red Jack's spit, nug, cuz he's pinked ya, and yer dead.
frances
Zeppelin Captain
United Kingdom United Kingdom

« Reply #26 on: October 20, 2014, 08:05:53 pm »

I'm sorry we did not meet 10 years ago then.

BTW leather thong is a long strip of leather with either a square or a round cross-section that you buy by the yard or metre from a reel.  It is used as shoe laces, for lacing things together and for plaiting together as fancy trim to decorate clothing.

Steampunk men have as much need of accessories as women I would have thought.  So the question is how to change the mindset of steampunk chaps to need more than one pair of cuff-links and a small collection of cravats or whatever else suits their character/s.
Hez
Zeppelin Captain
Canada Canada

aka Miss Primrose C Leigh

« Reply #27 on: October 20, 2014, 09:05:24 pm »

My husband and I have an arrangement.  I sew garments for him and encourage his accessory buying and he recently bought me an antique parasol, my third, for our anniversary making me officially a "collector" and thus entitled to own as many as possible.
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

"This is the sort of thing no-one ever believes"

rtafStElmo
« Reply #28 on: October 20, 2014, 09:26:13 pm »

BTW leather thong is a long strip of leather with either a square or a round cross-section that you buy by the yard or metre from a reel.  It is used as shoe laces, for lacing things together and for plaiting together as fancy trim to decorate clothing.

I come from a generation for whom the term "leather thong" originally meant exactly the leather strip used for binding or tying things up or together, as well as a type of sandal (yes, they did make them out of leather, and not so long ago, either), so I do know what you in fact meant. I was just referencing the general latter-generational misunderstanding that always occurs these days when one says "thong" in any context other than that of lingerie or swimwear.

And what do you mean, getting cheeky, Admiral? I've always been thus... Cheesy
« Last Edit: October 20, 2014, 09:31:47 pm by MWBailey » Logged

Walk softly and carry a big banjo...

""quid statis aspicientes in infernum"
Mr. Syson
Officer
United Kingdom United Kingdom

« Reply #29 on: December 01, 2014, 11:24:28 pm »

Maybe I should start looking into crossdressing.  Tongue

LOL   Grin

Sorry but this did make me laugh.
grimnir
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

Maker of fine Leathercrafts

« Reply #30 on: December 02, 2014, 04:28:28 am »

Well, we just finished our biggest event, Supanova Pop Culture Expo in Brisbane and I can categorically confirm men just don't buy as much!

The main interests for the men were the mechanical pocket watches whereas the womens interest was all over the stall.

We had lots that was suitable for either gender and some items specifically for men. The gender neutral and the ladies items sold, the male items are still in stock - except where bought by women doing genderswap cosplays!

This is the issue. I could make more mens items but it costs me double as I then have less leather to make stuff I know will sell. I am stuck with the product unsold. These days I only make mens items to order, it cuts costs.

Kindest regards, Raven

Maets
Immortal

Gravatar

Airship Builder

« Reply #31 on: December 09, 2014, 03:53:03 am »

Just finished a big show in Chicago.  Did pretty well, selling a quite a few pieces.  In keeping with the theme of this thread I thought I would share some gender observations.

I only sold two pieces to men.
A few pieces to couples (man and women)
A number of pieces to women buying for a man.
A bunch to women for themselves.

There were quite a few men that wanted to get something, but the wife said no way.

One couple comes to mind in particular.  The guy was ready to buy the new airship.  Money did not seem to be a problem.  His wife saying, "no way is that going in my house." was a big problem.  He picked out something else, but she said it reminded her of Frankenstein and again no way.  The he asked if she like the LED power reactor, but she said she didn't want anything that changed colors.  One more piece he tried to get her to allow in the house, but it didn't happen.  Wanted to sell him some balls, but didn't.

J. Wilhelm
╬ Admiral und Luftschiffengel ╬
Board Moderator
Immortal

Sentisne fortunatum punkus? Veni. Diem meum comple

« Reply #32 on: December 09, 2014, 05:22:00 am »

Ah!  The curiosities of the binary gender paradigm...

Wanted to sell him some balls, but didn't.
You can't sell those (unless you're a surgeon). You have to be born with them...

One thing I noted among the very wealthy, when I had my architectural limestone business, is that the husband just opens the wallet.  The wife is the decorator.  On rare occasion, one of the men did have his of library, study, etc.  But it was always a small part of the house.

Curiously, if the gender roles were not so diametrically opposed between the pair of spouses, the husband might actually get a say in the decoration of the house...  So I'm not sure that "growing a pair" is the problem here.  

Your observation is more a statement of the inflexible gender roles in the mechanical loveless marriage.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2014, 05:42:05 am by J. Wilhelm » Logged

henrietta Devereux
« Reply #33 on: March 17, 2015, 10:02:33 pm »

If men were as bitchy as women they would buy more. Sir Len managed happily with three evening suits for years. If I wore something twice it was bound to be commented on by some "lady". Several times during the evening if it was a Rotary do. Then there is the whole co-ordination challenge. Even if I stick to one colour for the outfit accessories need to be higher, chunkier, more/less statement piece depending on outfit.

A lacy shawl needs a brooch, a low neck needs a necklace to complement the neckline. Sir Len decides between tie or dickie. His belts (excepting 2 cumberbund) are very similar and rarely does he need a thin or chunky one. He has never needed a slim, beaded one to the best of my recollection.

I cannot recall one instance of a gentleman being concerned with the height of his heels, whether they will be comfortable for dancing, the robustness of the fabric for a garden function or in ascertaining whether or not one has to is supposed to negotiate stairs.

The one plea I have to make is waistcoats. Sir Len does love an outrageous waistcoat but they are so difficult to find. If it were possible I would buy him one for every birthday and yule but he would also purchase them himself.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: