The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
October 24, 2017, 08:55:53 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Support BrassGoggles! Donate once or $3/mo.
 See details here.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: If One Was Buying a Residence to Steampunk - would you:  (Read 1541 times)
walking stick
Zeppelin Admiral
England England

« Reply #25 on: November 01, 2014, 11:56:18 pm »

Yes, architectural salvage and an understanding architect, much better than a listed building because you can do the most amazing things with steampunk aesthetics. But I would like a place with extensive gardens and a staff to keep them up. Can you imagine steampunk topiary?  A set of beautiful greenhouses for our own flowers,fruit, herbs and vegetables year round.

Add either an airship port in the grounds or a steam train link to the local station.
Hurricane Annie
Zeppelin Captain
New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #26 on: November 02, 2014, 06:09:33 am »

Yes, architectural salvage and an understanding architect, much better than a listed building because you can do the most amazing things with steampunk aesthetics. But I would like a place with extensive gardens and a staff to keep them up. Can you imagine steampunk topiary?  A set of beautiful greenhouses for our own flowers,fruit, herbs and vegetables year round.

Add either an airship port in the grounds or a steam train link to the local station.

Check this blog out for ideas. It can be done relatively simply but effectively .

http://enginaire.blogspot.co.nz/2013/12/conversion-at-steampunk-garden-mission.html

Then again a  vast ornamental wrought iron glasshouse complex could be and interesting challenge to work up to.
Dr. Madd
Zeppelin Captain
United States United States

Maker of Monsters

« Reply #27 on: November 02, 2014, 11:14:15 am »

I'd go mad scientist on it with gears behind glass sheets on the walls, with a motor powered  by the central heat and air unit to spin the cogs. I'd add a tower lab, a dungeon and secret passages. The electrical outlets would be under copper covers and the light switches would be knife switches.

What do we want? Decapitations!
Iron Butterfly
Deck Hand
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Aka Anton Windersham

« Reply #28 on: November 02, 2014, 06:02:50 pm »

How about an old railway caboose?.  Could be heavily steampunked out for very little money.  Here's a link to a blog site with some conversions.

http://dornob.com/cute-caboose-7-train-cars-transformed-into-tiny-houses/
Aubreay Fallowfield
Snr. Officer

« Reply #29 on: November 02, 2014, 07:05:36 pm »

I have somewhat fallen for a council building I pass by regularly 1 Ednam Road Dudley England DY1. Check it out on google maps. Were this mine I would want a tower with porch underneath. Plus conservatory wood panelling throughout secret passageway behind a bookcase in a large library with wheeled ladder. Wine cellar (even though I don't drink!) some sort of indoor pool would be nice. Old black and white tiled bathroom with enormous scroll feet high backed bath. And wood burners throughout plus huge kitchen with copper pans hanging from rack etc......

first I have to win the lottery better still play the damned thing!!

Tis' bona to vada your dolly old eke.
Hurricane Annie
Zeppelin Captain
New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #30 on: November 02, 2014, 08:20:50 pm »

I have somewhat fallen for a council building I pass by regularly 1 Ednam Road Dudley England DY1. Check it out on google maps. Were this mine I would want a tower with porch underneath. Plus conservatory wood panelling throughout secret passageway behind a bookcase in a large library with wheeled ladder. Wine cellar (even though I don't drink!) some sort of indoor pool would be nice. Old black and white tiled bathroom with enormous scroll feet high backed bath. And wood burners throughout plus huge kitchen with copper pans hanging from rack etc......

There are some groovy buildings in that neighbourhood.

In N.Z. being a  young country, we have a number of  early council buildings, post offices and  ex banks for sale across the country side as the small towns set up to be bigger cities shrink  down.

http://www.trademe.co.nz/property/residential-property-for-sale/auction-594179398.htm

http://www.sella.co.nz/property/residential/for-sale/house/6p66lb/display-images/6p67hx/

http://www.nz.open2view.com/properties/241776

http://www.primecommercial.co.nz/2410838

J. Wilhelm
╬ Admiral und Luftschiffengel ╬
Board Moderator
Immortal

Sentisne fortunatum punkus? Veni. Diem meum comple

« Reply #31 on: November 03, 2014, 03:58:31 am »

In N.Z. being a  young country, we have a number of  early council buildings, post offices and  ex banks for sale across the country side as the small towns set up to be bigger cities shrink  down.

http://www.trademe.co.nz/property/residential-property-for-sale/auction-594179398.htm

http://www.sella.co.nz/property/residential/for-sale/house/6p66lb/display-images/6p67hx/

The first one was a post office turned into a residence... for $270K?  Perhaps a good Steampunk Guild Lodge ?

Hurricane Annie
Zeppelin Captain
New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #32 on: November 03, 2014, 07:06:04 am »

The first one was a post office turned into a residence... for $270K?  Perhaps a good Steampunk Guild Lodge ?

Patea. It is in one of the cheapest areas in NZ with  attendant social propblems.    Maybe a steampunk lodge could clean the place up.   The town  originally named Carlisle,  was  touted  as  planned to be the largest port in the young New Zealand of the 1850s.
Banfili
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

« Reply #33 on: November 08, 2014, 02:57:50 am »

Hurricane, you could start off with concrete silos, and modify them!
Patron Zero
Gunner

« Reply #34 on: December 04, 2014, 12:50:36 pm »

This particular structure is a residence-cum apartment/rooming house built in the post American Civil War era, spent my childhood there with my mother and foster-grandmother whom was the on-site property manager.

It's a grim, gritty brick monstrosity with a somewhat-disturbed charm enough to make such quite attractive enough to be speculated upon.

Such being to have a like-styled structure built adjacent as a steam carriage garage and manufactory, connecting the two buildings would be a glass covered gardens and a street-accessible taxi courtyard.

"I carry the dust of a journey that cannot be shaken away....."
Mr Peter Harrow, Esq
Zeppelin Overlord

Fellow of the Victorian Steampunk Society

« Reply #35 on: December 05, 2014, 07:11:00 pm »

I have.

It's a late Victorian semi, it even has that most charmingly steampunk of garden water features, a working outside lavvy!

Proudly giving the entire Asylum The Finger!
frances
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #36 on: December 06, 2014, 12:00:09 am »

My arts and crafts place is in virtually the same state as it was when  built.  A few mod cons here and there.  I have it dressed as though it has been in the family for several generations.  So somewhat dilapidated (as am I), a bit of peeling paint, early 20thc furniture in the main, dustwebs in the corners (I even found one in a small saucepan I hardly use last week). 

If I had a windfall there are certain features that I would like to also take back a 100 years or so.  My computer and the fax machine, for example; also the falling-down conservatory needs to be rebuilt a la Vicwardian and the tiny bathroom window replaced by a wardian case.  Any offers?
Banfili
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

« Reply #37 on: December 06, 2014, 01:44:46 am »

frances, how fortunate you are to have an arts & crafts original!

Here, I would have a Federation single story (mobility issues means no stairs if possible), Vicwardian, yes, even in Australia, but with native timbers used.

As I intend to remove myself to Ireland in a couple of years, I would go for my gg grandparents' stone longhouse, restored as close as possible to original, but with hot & cold running water, electricity (which it had up until 1975), sewerage and, of course telephone. I would have the minimum of mod cons to make a comfortable living environment, furniture in the traditional Irish style, including a settle bed, and, of course, a kitchen dresser - I have the blue china already! There would have to be a small extension, and the addition of a small storm porch to the front door, but other than that the external appearance would change very little. The re-jigging of one internal wall to incorporate a small bathroom, and that is essentially it.

I took photos when I was in Ireland last year, and have already drawn up plans in anticipation. If my gggp's house doesn't happen, then as close as can be got to it will be on my shopping list!
frances
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #38 on: December 07, 2014, 12:03:45 am »

Yes, Banfili, I am so pleased to have landed up in an Arts and Crafts house.  I have wooden panelling in the downstairs rooms, a skylight over the hall and beams in the kitchen that I have had painted black.  that amuses me no end.  Other people's throw-out furniture and carpets just fall into this house with ease and look as though they have always been here.
ZeroID
Gunner
New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #39 on: December 11, 2014, 02:01:42 am »

I'd build from scratch, a small home with a large garden.

Regarding 'follies', don't forget to include airship mooring points on the tower !

Anyone can build a ruin, just build it as it should be and wait 6 months. If you want a faster ruin (complete with moss) cover it with yoghurt....that's what they do on historic / ancient buildings to make restoration look old.

Even faster, get some moss and blend it with your yoghurt. Yep, in the blender. Tip from a gardening guru friend.
Arabella Periscope
Zeppelin Captain

Edwardian summer

« Reply #40 on: December 11, 2014, 06:56:05 am »

Forgive me if I have mentioned it before, but I am always inspired by Stella Gibbons' ('Cold Comfort Farm') little known book 'Ticky' which is about a Victorian regiment headquartered in the Crystal Palace in London.  It even has an internal railway system for transport.  It would allow for a Steampunk environment large enough for individuals to inhabit their reclusive labs and studios and workshops, widely separated, yet preserving a world in itself like a great Wardian case of Vicwardian atmosphere to live in as a community.

Kenneth: 'If you're so hot, you can tell me how to say she has ideas above her station.'
Brian:'Oh yes, I forgot. It's fairly easy, old boy.
Elle a des idees au-dessus de sa gare.'
Kenneth: 'Idiot.  It's not that kind of station.'

Terence Rattigan 'French Without Tears.'
Hurricane Annie
Zeppelin Captain
New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #41 on: December 11, 2014, 09:15:32 am »

Forgive me if I have mentioned it before, but I am always inspired by Stella Gibbons' ('Cold Comfort Farm') little known book 'Ticky' which is about a Victorian regiment headquartered in the Crystal Palace in London.  It even has an internal railway system for transport.  It would allow for a Steampunk environment large enough for individuals to inhabit their reclusive labs and studios and workshops, widely separated, yet preserving a world in itself like a great Wardian case of Vicwardian atmosphere to live in as a community.

That does sound intriguing. A rather opulent regimental headquarters
frances
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #42 on: December 13, 2014, 09:35:56 pm »

Oh yes.  The Crystal Palace.  What a perfect place for us all.

[Hmm I doubt if the Crystal Palace Museum runs steampunk events.  They only have a very small building and it is run by volunteers.  They are always on the lookout for memorabilia. How do I know this - they are not far from where I live.  (The houses that back on the to the park are large and multi-roofed and wonderful.)]
Hurricane Annie
Zeppelin Captain
New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #43 on: December 14, 2014, 12:04:12 am »

Oh yes.  The Crystal Palace.  What a perfect place for us all.

[Hmm I doubt if the Crystal Palace Museum runs steampunk events.  They only have a very small building and it is run by volunteers.  They are always on the lookout for memorabilia. How do I know this - they are not far from where I live.  (The houses that back on the to the park are large and multi-roofed and wonderful.)]

Sometimes we take  that which is in our own back yard for granted.

there are a number of glass buildings  still remaining in the local area. Sadly they are of the dilapidated  tomato growing kind with panes largely replaced with torn plastic.

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: