The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
October 22, 2017, 11:56:09 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: what do YOU call the non steampunkers?  (Read 1699 times)
Aubreay Fallowfield
Snr. Officer
United Kingdom United Kingdom

« on: October 16, 2014, 10:48:54 am »

Having a chat over a pint in the public house the other day we were wondering what delightful terms of reference other insightful chaps and chapettes call those from the non-steampunk world, particularly those who "Love what you're wearing!", or enquire "Is this some sort of special event or day?"

A lot of us, not all, in the WMSA use the term "Muggles"

Tis' bona to vada your dolly old eke.
Inflatable Friend
Zeppelin Admiral
Italy Italy

« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2014, 11:47:20 am »

I call them people, or if I know their names I'll use those.

I've heard folk called all sorts though; Normie's, muggles, mundanes etc.. To be honest I find that kind of thing pretty cringeworthy, it often somes across as isolationist or arrogant (always puts me in mind of the certain daily hate rag papers and their 'honest hard working tax payers' attitude).

When it comes down to it we're all nothing but folk.

Aubreay Fallowfield
Snr. Officer

« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2014, 12:31:01 pm »

Agree with the fact that we are all folk but us folk do love putting ourselves and others in boxes.
Dr Fidelius
Zeppelin Admiral
United States United States

Professor of Applied Paleontology, Miskatonic U.

« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2014, 12:41:11 pm »

Having a chat over a pint in the public house the other day we were wondering what delightful terms of reference other insightful chaps and chapettes call those from the non-steampunk world, particularly those who "Love what you're wearing!", or enquire "Is this some sort of special event or day?"

A lot of us, not all, in the WMSA use the term "Muggles"

I am not a "steampunker." I am a Steampunk. I am a Steampunk regardless of what I am wearing or what I am doing at any given moment.

Being an old-school geek, I tend to refer to person who are not part of a geekdom as "Mundanes." Many Mundanes are as fervent in their own hobbies as we are in ours. Have you ever seen how a serious golfer or yachtsman dresses on his days off?

The opinions expressed here are my own, and do not represent any other persons, organizations, spirits, thinking machines, hive minds or other sentient beings on this world or any adjacent dimensions in the multiverse.
Aubreay Fallowfield
Snr. Officer

« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2014, 12:47:35 pm »

Thank you Dr Fidelius. Indeed I would think that some golfers may look upon us Steampunk folk with numerous thoughts from derision to admiration, even on their days off Smiley
Maets
Immortal

Gravatar

Airship Builder

« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2014, 02:18:24 pm »

I am not a "steampunker." I am a Steampunk. I am a Steampunk regardless of what I am wearing or what I am doing at any given moment.

Agreed.  Everyone else is just uninformed, ie future steampunks.

Sludge Van Diesel
Zeppelin Captain
England England

SteampunkDJ.co.uk

« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2014, 02:47:51 pm »

People

Better to study for one hour with the wise, than to drink wine with the foolish

www.steampunkdj.co.uk  Please follow me on Twitter https://twitter.com/SteampunkDJ & Facebook https://www.facebook.com/steampunkdj
jonb
Snr. Officer
England England

« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2014, 03:51:24 pm »

Sirs there have been some appalling ideas propagated on this thread. It seems the ugly spectre of liberalism is among us. Categorising people into little boxes is how the Empire works. Imagine if we could no longer dismiss a persons pain because they were a member of this or that social group that we did not like. How then could we sleep at night after ordering the deaths of say a few dozen Chartists if we thought of them as actual people somewhat like ourselves. What may I ask would happen to the old boys network if one was to treat some person unmentioned equally to a dreg of a swat from one's own alumni. No we should stand together and place all these people into little boxes, otherwise we would have to face the dismal task of treating each man as an individual.
Therefore to this end I present the following groups;

Tee-surfs
Shoddies
The spatless  
Flabbies (due to the lack of corsets)
Unhatters
The throng
or
The dirty filthy wastrels that do not give due reverence when one of their betters walks among them.
I have passed all these terms by the memsahib's eye and am assured they are all afternoonified. So they will not upset the pretty little ladies.

Toodle pip
« Last Edit: October 16, 2014, 03:53:27 pm by jonb » Logged
Siliconous Skumins
Server Monk
Governor
Rogue Ætherlord

« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2014, 04:39:29 pm »

in may case it's simple - nothing...

As in the same way I don't differentiate between my black friends and non-black friends, or gay and non-gay, Alien species or slumbering ancient sea gods of the old religion...etc... It's pointless really, everybody is both "something" and not "something else" at the same time. Wink

Except for 'Charvers' / 'Chavs' (and whatever else they are called). Those I tend to differentiate between 'us humans' and 'thing'!  Grin

[Server Prayer]
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

"This is the sort of thing no-one ever believes"

rtafStElmo
« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2014, 05:12:13 pm »

in may case it's simple - nothing...

As in the same way I don't differentiate between my black friends and non-black friends, or gay and non-gay, Alien species or slumbering ancient sea gods of the old religion...etc... It's pointless really, everybody is both "something" and not "something else" at the same time. Wink

Except for 'Charvers' / 'Chavs' (and whatever else they are called). Those I tend to differentiate between 'us humans' and 'thing'!  Grin

Pretty much the same for me.
Exceptions:
-We geocachers call other people "muggles."
-"Chavs," for the obvious and same reasons.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2014, 05:17:16 pm by MWBailey » Logged

Walk softly and carry a big banjo...

""quid statis aspicientes in infernum"
pakled
Zeppelin Captain

Minions Local 305, at your thervice!

« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2014, 06:19:25 pm »

Hooman Beans...Wink
Colonel Hawthorne
Snr. Officer
New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2014, 10:36:10 pm »

Unfortunates?  The unenlightened, perhaps?  But yes, mostly nothing.

Jonb, I must respectfully take issue with your observation that lack of corsets makes a Flabby.  Too often have I observed ladies of, shall we say, more generous proportions oozing over the top (or, worse, through the laces) of an ill-fitting corset.  Granted this is getting away from the topic of this discussion, but I feel I must digress to issue a plea to such ladies to get a little help with the fitting of their corsets, or get an intimate acquaintance to take a photo of the back view for their edification.  Ladies with cuddly bits are a delight, but corsets with bulges unconcealed by a blouse or at least a built-in modesty panel probably do not give the elegant look you're trying to achieve.

Digression over.  As you were.

Colonel Sir Julius Hawthorne
H.M. Air Privateers (Retd.)

http://capitalsteampunknz.org

Whatever did we do before retro-futurism?
Hurricane Annie
Zeppelin Captain
New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2014, 11:26:16 pm »

Punks in the 70s called non punks androids and  straights

Android evolution has come along way and some could be considered very steampunk.

That   leaves "Straights" which can still be suitably  offensive if you spit it out with enough invective.
jonb
Snr. Officer
England England

« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2014, 12:51:14 am »

I have to admit I am a glass half full sort of cove, and always look on the bright side of things. So although there does seem to be an element of liberalism here, and although I do not know what the Dicken's a 'chav' is when it is at home, at least a few of you are prejudiced against these people, which is good, so all we better informed fellows now have to do is expand your rightly held prejudice a little.
Dear madam Hurricane you are right:
Even the most innocuous word could become derogatory if spoken with a certain inflection, I could imagine that even a totally happy word both in meaning and sound such as 'gay' could be said with such venom that there might be somebody who may take exception to its use. True that is a little far fetched, but I think you will understand the general direction I am pointing towards even in such a limp way.
Dear Colonel Hawthorne,
Sir I must say that for all the waffle there is about in these latter days of the nineteenth century it takes a military man of experience to cut though it and get to the facts. I bow to your much greater knowledge of women's under garments and the effect of these things, I was only a subaltern for a short while, when I received a rather nasty knick from a sharpened stake wielded by a native at the Battle of Peterloo, and was consequently invalided out of the militia on a small pension. Therefore I missed many of the goings on in the officer's mess where a young Rupert learns about these things.
Further sir I must applaud you, not just in that you have come up with the perfect term for the group of wastrels which are the subject of this thread, but that your term for them is also so aesthetically pleasing. To call somebody 'nothing' might be accurate, but in that it is designed to offend it is more like the language of the lower orders, trades people and the like, but 'mostly nothing' is not just accurate, but it also has about it the sort of subtlety one would expect in refined company.

Well said sir we must exchange cards!     
Hez
Zeppelin Captain
Canada Canada

aka Miss Primrose C Leigh

« Reply #14 on: October 17, 2014, 05:18:45 am »

I do not think that an identifier is in itself evil.  I use the term mundane, not in any sense to judge but because when telling a story  "A mundane said..." is simply more convenient than "A person staying at the hotel but not part of the convention who wasn't familiar with Steampunk  said..."  The phrase mundane does not define the person - it does not refer to their race, religion or the fact that they were hopping backwards and wearing purple socks - it merely reports a facet relevant to the story.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2014, 05:20:27 am by Hez » Logged
Dr Fidelius
Zeppelin Admiral

Professor of Applied Paleontology, Miskatonic U.

« Reply #15 on: October 17, 2014, 12:50:18 pm »

I had not realized how old this was. As I age, time moves faster.

Heather Alexander - Freaking the Mundanes
Rory B Esq BSc
Snr. Officer

« Reply #16 on: October 17, 2014, 05:35:07 pm »

A person is a person.

If they ask you about what you're wearing or doing then it could be acceptable to use the phrase 'steam curious'? as they have been curious about steampunk, and if they hear it they are unlikely to be offended and say something that ruins your evening.

Of course, if you are dressed as a steampunk undertaker, it may be acceptable to put people into boxes (but check they are dead first)...that could go down really well with a Goth of course or on Halloween.
Prof Marvel
Zeppelin Captain

learn from history, or be doomed to repeat it

« Reply #17 on: October 17, 2014, 11:55:04 pm »

If they fit the definition, I like to lump them into the category of Senient Beings ( as described in many Buddhist tenants)

yhs
prof marvel

Your Humble Servant
~~~~~Professor Algernon Horatio Ubiquitous Marvel The First~~~~~~
President, CEO, Chairman,  and Chief Bottle Washer of
Professor Marvel's Traveling Apothecary and Fortune Telling Emporium

Acclaimed By The Crowned Heads of Europe
Purveyor of Patent Remedies, Snake Oil, Cleaning Supplies, Dry Goods, and Picture Postcards
Offering Unwanted Advice for All Occasions and Providing Useless Items to the Gentry
Since 1822
Dr. Madd
Zeppelin Captain

Maker of Monsters

« Reply #18 on: October 18, 2014, 01:30:55 pm »

Non Steamers?

What do we want? Decapitations!
Aubreay Fallowfield
Snr. Officer

« Reply #19 on: October 18, 2014, 05:06:16 pm »

Thanks all for your thoughts. In an ideal world there would be no them and us but we don't live in an ideal world and like it or not we all compartmentalise people.  When you don't differentiate between gay and straight, white and black, sentient and not I feel that you already have at some level. Difference is good after all. If we were all the same the world would be very boring wouldn't it? Just because we label something doesn't mean that we look at it negatively. For some it does, think any word with '-phobe' or '-ist' on the end in regards to people who live to differentiate and denigrate.
Rory B Esq BSc
Snr. Officer

« Reply #20 on: October 18, 2014, 06:41:21 pm »

Difference is good after all. If we were all the same the world would be very boring wouldn't it?

That ties in rather well with the theories behind ecology and biodiversity, namely that the more diverse something is the more resilliant it is. Which lets people see others who are in any way different in a more positive light. One reason I'm pleased there is no 'definitive Steampunk'

To some extent we are all quantum beings, depending on who is looking changes who we are, the taxman sees you based on how you get an income but your parents see you as their child and your children see you as a parent, all at the same time. Others see you as a work colleague, sibling, neighbour and so on.
frances
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #21 on: October 19, 2014, 11:56:33 pm »

I find the use of the term 'mundane' as derogatory.

Every human being is unique and special.  Lumping huge numbers of people together as though they are all just one blob is not in the steampunk spirit, in my view. 

I can label myself what I like, but it is demeaning to label other humans in this way.
Soggz
Deck Hand
England England

« Reply #22 on: October 22, 2014, 09:36:08 pm »

Are there 'Deisal Punks' and 'Petrol Punks' too?

"Never Before Has Yesterday Looked So Much Like Tomorrow..."
Aubreay Fallowfield
Snr. Officer

« Reply #23 on: October 22, 2014, 10:37:46 pm »

Indeed there are plus a few that I had not even thought of

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cyberpunk_derivatives
FenrisWolf
Officer

« Reply #24 on: October 22, 2014, 11:10:12 pm »

I am a Steampunk.

I am not a Steampunker, nor do I go Steampunking!

Those that are not Steampunk at people, the same as everyone. If I know their names then I call them by that.

However, if I am with a group of Steampunks I may refer to non-steampunks as 'Norms' in a 2000AD fashion.

Fenris Wolf
Iconographic Capturer of Ætheric Personalities™
www.fenrisoswin.com 
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: