The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
October 22, 2017, 12:25:04 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Support BrassGoggles! Donate once or $3/mo.
 See details here.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Need ideas for Steampunk Cabinet Hardware for Gun Cart.  (Read 2183 times)
Rolan_Kraps
Deck Hand
United States United States

« on: October 10, 2014, 02:31:55 am »

Hello and welcome to my first post on this forum.

I am a Cowboy Action Shooter.  Cowboy Action Shooting is a sport where participants dress in either Old West (Pre-1900) clothing or "B-Western" (40's and 50's era movies and TV).  If you are interested in finding out more, check out www.sassnet.com.

Now, a small but vocal minority of us have embraced Steampunk dress and I'm pushing this onto our gun carts.

What is a gun cart?  For our matches we use 2 Single Action Revolvers, a Lever Action Rifle, and Double Barrel, Pump, or Lever Action Shotgun (all pre-1900 designs).  You also need to carry ammo for all these guns, snacks, gun maintenance stuff, etc.

So.  Now I'm trying to extend my interest in Steampunk to my Gun cart.  I've got some ideas, but need something "Steampunk" to make the handles for the removable chest in the front.

Here is an example of the cart I built for my wife.  Mine will have a lot more "steam"

Front of Bea Itchin's new Walnut Gun cart.

Rear of Bea's cart.  Focusing on the "key box".  Note the hooks under the cart for a cooler.  Butterfly clasps, and the eye to hang the folded cart in the Garage.

Left side of the cart, showing the holsters for her Single Actions and a custom badge holder.  The "Outhouse" is "The Krappy Gang" emblem (highly sought after).

Close-up of the right side of the cart showing the drink holder and holster for her other revolver.

Removable Front box with custom "Bea" bullet block.

Gun Rack detail.  Note that there isn't a "catch bar".  I mounted rare-earth magnets in the back of the rack to hold the guns in place.

Top of the key box

Steamworkshop
Zeppelin Captain

Accurate reproductions of items that never existed

« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2014, 03:13:53 am »

Very cool. I've always thought Cowboy Action was really cool but never thought about it from a steampunk point of view.

Welcome to the forum as well.

Wilhelm Smydle
Snr. Officer

« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2014, 03:46:00 am »

It could use some brass maybe escusion plates, travel stamps, or possibly a Hame for hanging her jacket/ hand and a spot for a parasol.
For the most part it looks almost there.

Rolan_Kraps
Deck Hand

« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2014, 12:27:37 pm »

Thanks.

Her cart is done.  I was showing it as an example.

I was trying to come up with something to make "handles" out of from the removable front chest.

Totally unrelated, here is my Top hat and Derby that I wear in matches.

thezombiekat
Gunner
Australia Australia

« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2014, 01:06:45 pm »

Is it really that far off now.

I am assuming yours will be of a similar functional design, it looks well thought out, everything is easily accessible and well balanced as long as you dont put too much weight in the top box.

All I would change is to make the fittings (hinges, latches and such) out of brass (easy to get),  I probably wouldn’t use horseshoes myself not that they are strictly forbidden (remind me somebody,  is anything strictly forbidden) they look like they might be there to support something.

The drink holder is the only thing that looks truly out of place to me, possibly replace with a military style canteen or a Thermos flask of tea (invented 1892 commercial produced 1904, I did have to check)
Rolan_Kraps
Deck Hand

« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2014, 01:57:59 pm »

Thank you for your response.

My wife isn't into Steampunk (yet, I'm working on her).  Her cart reflects "pure cowgirl".  I was just showing that as an example of what a "gun cart" looks like.

MY cart will be much more "Steampunk"  I have valves and gauges to go between the gun dividers, and will embed some gauges in the vertical supports.  I will post pictures of my progress.
Rory B Esq BSc
Snr. Officer
United Kingdom United Kingdom

« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2014, 09:31:19 pm »

I would be a little concerned with the use of rare earth magnets, if one of the shotguns is loaded with a cartridge that is brass plated over steel rather than brass it could cause problems as the gun becomes more magnetized. In fact that will become an issue with iron in the ground (anywhere with red soil / dust).  Some other means of attaching the guns / holding them in place must be better for them. OK I doubt the revolvers are original 1800's examples and the shotguns are unlikely to be Purdy's or Holland & Holland but you've worked to buy them.

One 'soft' option could be a Kraken with each tentacle wrapped around a gun and attached by 'velcro' at the end to allow it to be removed. this would cushion each gun, avoid magnetizing the action which makes cleaning / lubricating it harder and would be steampunk.
A similar method with 'cow tails' and lasso ropes etc could work for your wife's cart.

Before I discovered steampunk I used to collect and deal in Victorian firearms so I've seen what one mistake can do (Yes you've got the barrels nice and shiny but that 'full of rusty fingerprints' look was because they are Damascus barrels...Congratulations, you've just taken one or two 0's off the price.
Hektor Plasm
Zeppelin Captain
United Kingdom United Kingdom

All-Round Oddfellow.

« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2014, 10:34:13 pm »

Nice- without seeing yours, the overall impression is so much in the right vein, that the one you are planning will probably be awesomely good.
I also like your hats- I have just acquired one that looks very similar, in felt, and am very pleased with, apart from singing my head when sizing it!

Pictures when complete!

Thanks!

HP 

"all die! o, the embarrassment."
H Plasm Esq. ICUE    Avatar by and with kind permission of Dr Geof. Ta!!

Some musings:-
http://hektorplasm.blogspot.co.uk/
Rolan_Kraps
Deck Hand

« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2014, 11:12:35 pm »

I would be a little concerned with the use of rare earth magnets, if one of the shotguns is loaded with a cartridge that is brass plated over steel rather than brass it could cause problems as the gun becomes more magnetized. In fact that will become an issue with iron in the ground (anywhere with red soil / dust).  Some other means of attaching the guns / holding them in place must be better for them. OK I doubt the revolvers are original 1800's examples and the shotguns are unlikely to be Purdy's or Holland & Holland but you've worked to buy them.

One 'soft' option could be a Kraken with each tentacle wrapped around a gun and attached by 'velcro' at the end to allow it to be removed. this would cushion each gun, avoid magnetizing the action which makes cleaning / lubricating it harder and would be steampunk.
A similar method with 'cow tails' and lasso ropes etc could work for your wife's cart.

Before I discovered steampunk I used to collect and deal in Victorian firearms so I've seen what one mistake can do (Yes you've got the barrels nice and shiny but that 'full of rusty fingerprints' look was because they are Damascus barrels...Congratulations, you've just taken one or two 0's off the price.

Rory,
The guns are NEVER transported loaded.  That would get one kicked out of any SASS Competition world-wide.
The magnets are located very far from the actions.  In the case of the shotguns, they are on a different assembly.
Damascus barrels are not safe to shoot smokeless powder, so I wouldn't have them.  My shotgun is an SKB. My wife shoots a Stoeger.

Thanks for the idea about the tentacles.  I might try to make it an "Old ones" Tentacle from a mine shaft out West.

Otto Von Pifka
Zeppelin Admiral

goggles? they're here somewhere.....

« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2014, 06:38:42 am »

I would look to antique wheel chairs and sanitarium day chairs for inspiration. you could add a tufted seat cushion and two back cushions that swing like bar doors to access the long arms.
Rolan_Kraps
Deck Hand

« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2014, 11:14:25 am »

Interesting!  But I'm a little too far down the path on this cart.  I'll keep that one in mind.I also need to be mindful of the size, as the cart needs to fold to fit in the back of my Chevy Avalanche.
Captain Lyerly
Zeppelin Overlord
Ukraine Ukraine

At the helm of the Frumious Bandersnatch

« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2014, 02:55:00 am »

Greetings, and welcome aboard!  I haven't been shooting lately, but I have been a registered SASS member for over ten years now - I remember your great plans for a folding gun cart, and your generosity in sharing those plans.  Really good to see you here.

My own gun cart is from Big Sky; I got the wagon wheel option for it, and painted it in gray and black, on the pattern of a civil war artillery limber - still hope to be able to find a copper sheet big enough to cover the lid on the box and make it a real coppertop.

For yours, I would recommend trying to find a local architectural salvage place, most towns have one these days;  I found some small door handles that could have come off of a coffin.  While you are there, you might look for older hinges and latches - if you can find a set of old icebox hardware it would probably work a treat - unfortunately, they have become scarce as hen's teeth and expensive...  Home Depot and Lowe's carry brass corners, these will protect the corners from wear as well as dressing up the box a bit.

I just recently found a pair of rods with very nice brackets - probably towel rods - that will go on the sides of my cart, vertically, as extra grips/guards.  There are several other places where a little functional decoration can go a long way toward dressing up a steamy cart - I look forward to seeing yours!

Cheers!

Chas.

Captain Sir Charles A. Lyerly, O.B.T.
Soldier of Fortune and Gentleman Adventurer
wire: captain_lyerly, at wire office "Yahoo dot Qom"

"You'd think he'd learn."
"Heh! De best minions neffer do!"
Rolan_Kraps
Deck Hand

« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2014, 03:11:06 am »

Thank you Captain.  I like those ideas.  I do have some ideas, and some REALLY nice Walnut that I'm using on the new cart.  I also have some "special" handles in place of the typical "Plow handles".  I'll post pictures as I go.

Do they shoot Cowboy Action in Ukraine? 

Captain Lyerly
Zeppelin Overlord
Ukraine Ukraine

« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2014, 04:02:33 am »

Oops.  Sorry, I changed the flag some months ago; I am actually in Chattanooga, Tennessee now.  Cheesy

I was shooting in Maryland, with the Mill Creek Wranglers of Annapolis, but I haven't shot SASS since I moved back home to Chattanooga a few years ago.  I keep meaning to drag everything out and set up again - and see what still fits  Smiley but I have so many irons in the fire right now that it just hasn't happened.

You might mosey through some of the older threads - "non-steampunked steampunk firearms" is a good one - I think you will find a lot to amuse and interest you.

Cheers!

Chas.
Rolan_Kraps
Deck Hand

« Reply #14 on: October 14, 2014, 04:28:34 am »

Lots of good clubs in your area.  Cleveland, TN, Ringgold, Wartrace, Knoxville.  There is a little club in Hiawassee that shoots the third Saturday of November (they don't shoot on a regular schedule).

Hope to see you down the trail.

Captain Lyerly
Zeppelin Overlord
Ukraine Ukraine

« Reply #15 on: October 14, 2014, 06:00:28 am »

Thanks!  Yeah, I know about most of these, and maybe I will get down to Gainesville some day - you are still there, right?

Here's the thread I mentioned - you have probably seen most of these at one time or another.

http://brassgoggles.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,16489.0.html

Cheers!

Chas.
Rolan_Kraps
Deck Hand

« Reply #16 on: October 14, 2014, 12:10:28 pm »

Yes, still in Gainesville.  Also shoot in Toccoa, and Dawsonville.

I'm looking for a good deal on an 1887 12 Gauge.  I think a Lever Action shotgun would be very steampunk

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: