The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
October 19, 2017, 01:56:15 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 100 Words  (Read 773 times)
gaslampfantasy
Deck Hand
United Kingdom United Kingdom

« on: September 29, 2014, 01:09:51 pm »

We have had writing challenges involving key words (which I have enjoyed); and I have done a challenge where you tell a story in only two sentences, on various internet sites.
   What I am suggesting us slightly different – that you tell a story in exactly 100 words (not counting the title), no more, no less. In the past I did a series of these, and I consider them to be a cross between a vignette and a prose haiku. Below you will find one such (simple) tale as an example. I  hope that some of the other talented writers on this site have fun with this.

100 words: Revenge

The clanking of the gears was almost deafening; and steam leaked from gaps in the joints of the giant automaton, as it marched across Kent towards London. Those who saw it that night crossed themselves, as though they had witnessed the Devil.
   Inside the head of this new Talos sat Professor Haggard. He chuckled to himself as he operated the levers and dials, sending his invention forwards. Soon he would be stomping down the streets of London, on the way to the Royal Society, where he would have revenge on those who had expelled him.
   He never saw the marsh…
RodDuncan
Gunner

« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2014, 01:44:06 pm »

Tableau Vivant

Skin powdered and bathed in Drummond light, she seemed carved from alabaster. A fan of ostrich feathers in each hand, she held the pose; head turned left, right foot raised on toes as if thinking to run, the muscles of her calves exquisite. She was one among many on the stage, but I could see no other.

When the curtain dropped, I knew the score; the joke man to follow, a sing-along finale to close. None of it would suit my mood.

“Same time tomorrow?” asked the ticket man.

I nodded, as I always did, and left alone.
pakled
Zeppelin Captain
United States United States

Minions Local 305, at your thervice!

« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2014, 04:15:45 am »

For Sale, Baby Shoes, seldom worn...wait, that's already been done. Below, the harvested fields scrolled by the airship, stubble like an unshaven landscape arranged in rows. The heat exchangers pumped warmth into the gas bag above, a faint glow strengthening in the sunset.

Barnstable Fairweather took it all in, turning to his intended. "The premise, my dear, is succinctness," he murmured into her ear.
"But you have returned with the McGuffin," she said. "All those adventures, death following you, me, the crew..." she shuddered next to him.

"Summed up in the sweetness of your touch, darling," he replied. Fin

Antonus Fudge
Gunner

« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2014, 02:51:25 pm »

Flanders' Magnificent Gymcracks

“I wonder who owns this shop,” Darmer said. “Maybe they made all these contraptions.”
“I don’t think anyone owns it anymore,” said Floy. “This place looks derelict.”
No sooner were the words out of his mouth when there arose from the back of the shop such a cacophony that Floy swore.
“Hello?” he called out nervously. “Hello?”
“It must be the shopkeeper. Hello? Anyone there?”
There was silence, and then – tock-tock-tock. The constables looked at each other, frowning. Tock-tock-tock-brrriiinng!!
Suddenly, amid a puff of dust and whirling, torn-out book pages bolted the most peculiar individual either of them had ever seen.

« Last Edit: October 03, 2014, 03:03:54 pm by Antonus Fudge » Logged

~ * ~
gaslampfantasy
Deck Hand

« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2014, 01:40:30 pm »

Airship Search

Captain Hawke stared down from the bridge of the Victoria as the airship flew over northern Canada. Beneath was the unremitting, unbroken whiteness of the ice. They had left the waters of Baffin Bay far behind in their search for a North-West Passage, and for what had happened to the ships Erebus and Terror. It looked like there was no passage, and they had not found the ships.
   Hawke was about to give the order to turn around and fly back, when, ahead of him, one the horizon, he saw a strange, golden light, where there should have been nothing…
gaslampfantasy
Deck Hand

« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2014, 01:38:04 pm »

Some really nice vignettes so far. He is another humble effort:

Time Machine

The traveller pulled backwards on the lever. The dates flashed before his eyes: 1893, 1892, and on, becoming a blur, until they stopped on the one which he had chosen: 1066. He had come back to when the Normans had invaded. He would go and see the Battle of Hastings for himself, and see exactly what had happened.
   He got out of his time machine. He felt dizzy, and he almost fell, as he became in synch with the past.
   He looked at his time machine, seeing only a ghost image. It was still out of synch. He was trapped…
gaslampfantasy
Deck Hand

« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2014, 02:07:57 pm »

100 Words: Clockwork Rat

Hidden in the alley’s darkness, the villain laughed to himself, over and over, as he slowly wound up the clockwork rat, before sliding the key back into the pocket of his waistcoat.
   Still chuckling to himself, the man in the alleyway put the rat down on the ground. The rat scurried off on its pre-programmed mission: to deliver the small infernal machine inside the mechanical rat’s body to the sleeping target as he lay in his bed.
   A few minute’s later the villain’s calumny was rewarded when he heard a small explosion in the distance. He smiled, and crept away.
Inflatable Friend
Zeppelin Admiral
Italy Italy

« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2015, 03:51:22 pm »

Seems fun.

100 Words: Night Raid

The ship hung over Abercray, its bloated form a dark stain against the light night clouds. Ponderously it laboured onwards, a great droning bumblebee in search of nectar.

In the streets below the townsfolk gathered, pointed skyward and shared guesses as to why the ship was here. Businessmen, housewives, children, workers and soldiers, the bombs cared not.

Houses and businesses opened in lurid bursts of colour, lilies of destruction that flowered violently before wilting into noxious plumes of smoke.

The shipe flew on. The town rent, split and ruined now crackled with spots of lingering fire.

The war had come.
Inflatable Friend
Zeppelin Admiral
Italy Italy

« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2015, 11:07:56 pm »

Planet Fall

The cylinder's lid began to move. Long idle gears protested under the strain of the movement, 140 million miles of space had not been kind.

Within it passengers began to stir, journey weakened flesh vulnerable as they woke from their months long sleep. Their machines watched impassively as their masters stumbled in the strangeness of an alien gravity.

When the lid folded aside the invaders were ready, the fighting machines surged out, heatray searching over the landscape for any foe. Behind it the alien, peering nervously about at the strange terrain.

The BEF had landed, the invasion of Mars begun.
Mercury Wells
Rogue Ætherlord
I insiste that you do call me WELLS. :)

« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2015, 11:45:50 pm »

CH 1.

Outside, in the style of the late Leonard Sachs a paperboy is heard shouting out the headlines before he's blown away by the wind (well I did say he was a "paper" boy). The sound of slow, ponderous, menacing footsteps appeared in the snow. Now that is very silly. lets try again shall we...?

"It was a bright and cheerful day..." nah too cliched, though it does make a change from "It was a dark and stormy night"

Last go then...

"My loss of my writing skills, was welcomed by the world as it heaved a huge sigh of relief..."

Oh...my old war wound? I got that at The Battle of Dorking. Very nasty affair that was, I can tell you.

The Ministry of Tea respectfully advises you to drink one cup of tea day...for that +5 Moral Fibre stat.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: