The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
December 17, 2017, 10:49:15 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: NaNoWriMo 2014 is approaching, prepare yourselves.  (Read 1570 times)
Lazaras
Zeppelin Admiral
United States United States

Have Wierd; Will Travel.

« Reply #25 on: November 16, 2014, 04:41:07 pm »

What happened man?

Cheapie Theatre
Want something to read? Got ten minutes to kill? Here you go!
CPT_J_Percell
Board Moderator
Zeppelin Captain
England England

The werewolf Airship Captain.

« Reply #26 on: November 17, 2014, 07:46:46 am »

What happened man?

This Happened :
http://www.amazon.co.uk/End-Mythobiology-Diaries-James-Purcell-ebook/dp/B00N89UNIE/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1416206398&sr=8-1&keywords=James+Purcell
I got my book out but load of post publishing bugs and errors appeared.
I have just finished manually rebuilding the Table of contents and internal links after they all broke and, several typo's there were corrected in the last manuscript update are still present  Angry Angry

I suffer from a random misfiring synapse and a bad case of wolfen the turns me into a seven-foot-tall werewolf or a seven-foot great wolf!
https://dragon-rehoming-centre.myshopify.com/
http://purbry.wordpress.com
V.S. Velde
Deck Hand
Canada Canada

bluecaldera
« Reply #27 on: November 18, 2014, 07:50:36 pm »

I just finished my first draft, which comes in at about 29K. It's basically a skeleton draft that gets all of the key dialogue down, and now I'll go back to the beginning and start fleshing it in with colour, observations, thoughts, inner monologue, and action, all of which I skipped over in the first draft.

I'm a bit behind the 2K a day pace I wanted to keep, and now I've got to gear up to about 3K a day to come out at my goal of 60K. But I think it'll go quickly for me now, since I won't need to stop and rework the plot.
Madasasteamfish
A clanger waiting to be dropped......
Board Moderator
Rogue Ætherlord
United Kingdom United Kingdom

09madasafish
« Reply #28 on: November 18, 2014, 08:05:24 pm »

Stalled at 12k. Idea of having end of chapter newsletter like snips isn't working. Typing on tablet far harder than I thought.

Well, I officially quit.
This is the first time that I have given up on any form of writing!

You're not the only one, I've given up on the NaNoWriMo site but carrying on with the project itself. I was at approx 19K-20K on friday when I decided to get rid of some mysterious files that had suddenly appeared on my USB stick due to a formatting error with my computer's file directories. Unfortunately it turns out that the files I deleted were somehow related to the folder I had the project saved in, which wiped the folder off my flash drive.

Now thanks to being an idiot and forcing myself to learn the hard way to back stuff up regularly this means I only had about 1100 words saved elsewhere, and I'm currently trying to rewrite the other 18K words from memory, which I can't be arsed to pressure myself into doing in under two weeks (primarily since it was about 2 weeks worth of pretty much solid writing and I've got some other more important stuff to do this month).

I made a note in my diary on the way over here. Simply says; "Bugger!"

"DON'T THINK OF IT AS DYING, JUST THINK OF IT AS LEAVING EARLY TO AVOID THE RUSH."
CPT_J_Percell
Board Moderator
Zeppelin Captain
England England

« Reply #29 on: November 18, 2014, 10:09:56 pm »

Assuming the memory locations haven't been over written, there is free software which can retrieve it.
I have a lot of formatting and rewriting to do on my current book (good i'm bored of looking at it) as a lot of errors have appeared in the latest update!
« Last Edit: November 18, 2014, 10:12:49 pm by CPT_J_Percell » Logged
Madasasteamfish
A clanger waiting to be dropped......
Board Moderator
Rogue Ætherlord

09madasafish
« Reply #30 on: November 18, 2014, 11:19:26 pm »

Assuming the memory locations haven't been over written, there is free software which can retrieve it.

Oh, ok. I'll give it a check and see if I can get it back.

Update:

I've downloaded a recovery program and I've been able to recover a LOAD of stuff (including copies of a F**KLOAD of notes and stuff from my university studies). But,

The good news is I've been able to recover 3 out of the 4 files relating to the project so that's a help.

The bad news is (other than that I'm missing a file from it) is that they're all missing a fair bit of work. But on the plus side I'm only going to have to rewrite 6-7K from memory, so I've cut the task down by two thirds.

Then again, could be worse. Newton once lost 2 years worth of notes and experimental data when his dog knocked over a candle which he was then forced to rewrite from memory.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2014, 12:21:03 am by Madasasteamfish » Logged
CPT_J_Percell
Board Moderator
Zeppelin Captain
England England

« Reply #31 on: November 19, 2014, 09:43:28 pm »

Glad it worked,
I managed to retrieve half a drive after a format and reinstall of windows!
Then put my hairy claw through the laptops screen writing the machine off!
rovingjack
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #32 on: November 24, 2014, 07:45:49 pm »

well I've pulled a few really big binge day and and going for another today.

Hopefully by tonight I will be about where I should be and by wednsday night I should be almost completely done.

it's been nice to stir my creativity again and test my limits but three days of 9 thousand to 12 thousand is a bit brutal for even me.

I think I will however give myself a more gradual sloping pace of writing for the rest of the year. something like aiming for 1-3 thousand words a day every day for a year.

I figure by years end that should give a good start to several of my writing projects I've been slow to go on.

at the same time I'm thinking of doing some other creative work in a similar personal challenge. something like a crafted item once every 5 days. A youtube video once a week. a recipe every week. ect.

I was just playing around with numbers on this sort of thing and really for about the same amount of time each week that most people watch tv (or in my case surf the internet) I could finish the year with around 17 novels and 15 short stories. and even if the rule of 90% (of everything is crap) is true at a rate of 5 cents per word I could be making part time income from writing. And similar things go for other creative projects. a few hours a week by the end of the year results in a huge body of work which when whittled down to the best ten percent ends up being a fair way to make a shift from being creative when I have free time from work to working when I take a bit of time off from being creative.

I don't know about you but being creative is what I'd rather do with my life than be an employee.

pakled
Zeppelin Captain

Minions Local 305, at your thervice!

« Reply #33 on: November 28, 2014, 12:12:07 am »

O.M.G - what the @#$% happened? 367 pages, 162,487 words...and that's after I threw out paragraphs, pages, and even chapters...Wink

Where's my bush-hook?...Wink

Augustus Longeye
Daedric Prince of Biscuits
Board Moderator
Rogue Ætherlord

« Reply #34 on: November 28, 2014, 12:49:52 am »

Just brushing 45, cutting it close but determined to finish.

Couple this with 50k last year, and I'm not even halfway through yet. Bugger.
~Longeye~

Quote from: Sir Nikolas
I say you, chaps down there! Piss off, see? Haa ha! Love, Space Longeye <3
rovingjack
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #35 on: November 29, 2014, 06:38:49 am »

slightly side tracked by life. But I am aiming for seven to eight thousand tonight and about the same tomorrow to finish up before deadline and leave me with a little room to breathe or recover in case of emergency.

Then I will drop back down to a more reasonable pace as a daily goal for me to just keep writing.
rovingjack
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #36 on: November 30, 2014, 05:12:58 am »

almost there. about 3k left to go. hope to cross that threshhold before bed.
Lazaras
Zeppelin Admiral

Have Wierd; Will Travel.

« Reply #37 on: November 30, 2014, 01:41:23 pm »

I have made it. I hate the whole thing, but it's notes I can use I suppose.
CPT_J_Percell
Board Moderator
Zeppelin Captain
England England

« Reply #38 on: November 30, 2014, 07:26:59 pm »

I have made it. I hate the whole thing, but it's notes I can use I suppose.
Well done
rovingjack
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #39 on: November 30, 2014, 07:57:27 pm »

went to verify how much further until the story was across the line last night, apparently I'd miscounted, I'd already crossed the finish.

then I went back to the document I copied it from and accidentally bumped a key. turning 50000 words into one let in a document that autosaves at regular intervals. queue panic. then I do an edit undo and it all comes back. lol.

yeah the story feels sloppy and the dialouge is nonexistant. but the whole story exists now with it's great twist and turns and characters and setting. It's real now. Like some books I've read or movies I've watched where I end up saying things like "if they just did ____ it would be a great story" well now I can do that part.
pakled
Zeppelin Captain

Minions Local 305, at your thervice!

« Reply #40 on: December 01, 2014, 05:52:58 am »

I actually did something different this year. Altogether, I have 11 first drafts of novels,  I've never tried to edit/rewrite one into something a little more accessible. So while I wrote a lot of it in November, I did try rewriting the whole megilla. Figured it'd be harder, and I was right...Wink

Got it down to 161k words, 371 pages. It's not done (what novel ever is?), but from what emails I get from Nanowrimo, everyone rewrites after November anyway...Wink

Deus Ex Magica - high concept is War of the Worlds, only we're invaded by Wizards...Wink
Richard Hoover
Deck Hand
Canada Canada

« Reply #41 on: December 02, 2014, 09:48:37 pm »

I so wanted to participate in NaNo this year, it just didn't work out timing wise (did my writing back in August and September and editing through October and November).  It's awesome to find a place where people have even heard of NaNo, let alone participated.  Even most of my writing friends are unfamiliar with it.

NaNo's what taught me to say "shut up" to my internal editor whenever I write anything that's garbage, which is way more frequent than I would like.

Hope everyone made their personal NaNo goals this year!

(rovingjack, I'm totally with you when you say you'd rather be creative than an employee!)

My novel Satin and Sutherland: The Golden Curse is available now!  Check out my website www.sealeftstudios.com for a sample, trailers, and more.
CPT_J_Percell
Board Moderator
Zeppelin Captain
England England

« Reply #42 on: December 03, 2014, 10:14:45 pm »

I've set an alternative challenge to my region for nano camp (oh god I still can't get used to being known as an unofficial ML)
Were ignoring camp and doing "Tree me a story."
The challenge is to take you manuscript and produce a paperback version.
gaslampfantasy
Deck Hand

« Reply #43 on: December 15, 2014, 04:29:26 pm »

My NaNoWriMo challenge, from now on, will be to produce a 50,000+ word every November.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: