The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
December 18, 2017, 05:46:57 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: NaNoWriMo 2014 is approaching, prepare yourselves.  (Read 1572 times)
rovingjack
Zeppelin Admiral
United States United States

« on: September 24, 2014, 03:19:04 am »

I'm likely to drop off the face of the earth real soon, and I mean real soon. I'm jumping in a month early and not likely coming back out until a month after it's suppose to end. I'm prepping now for my start, and part of that is figuring out which novel ideas I'll be working on. There may be some steampunk in one or two but most of them will likely not be steampunk.

What are others planning?

CPT_J_Percell
Board Moderator
Zeppelin Captain
England England

The werewolf Airship Captain.

« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2014, 06:31:31 am »

Haven't got the time for Nano, Trying to get a book ready for Halloween release then trying to get the next 2 finished!

I suffer from a random misfiring synapse and a bad case of wolfen the turns me into a seven-foot-tall werewolf or a seven-foot great wolf!
https://dragon-rehoming-centre.myshopify.com/
http://purbry.wordpress.com
rovingjack
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2014, 12:57:04 am »

well I'll be stepping out from BG for a bit. I've got some serious writing to get to. I've set my bar way to high and I've every intention of trying to get over it.

3 months, 15 outlines, hoping for ten finished stories (I'll settle for a few less though).

Good luck, to those that try. I'm aiming to not use the net as distractions or procrastination so I really won't see much of these boards for a while.
pakled
Zeppelin Captain

Minions Local 305, at your thervice!

« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2014, 04:17:21 am »

I've got something ready, but I'm still (story) plotting, plotting, plotting. Plus, worst of all, someone's used the same concept in a comic book...ay mi. But then, if it were that strict, HG Wells' estate would get royalties off every time machine story...Wink

Madasasteamfish
A clanger waiting to be dropped......
Board Moderator
Rogue Ætherlord
United Kingdom United Kingdom

09madasafish
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2014, 06:32:29 pm »

I've never done it before, but I suppose I could give it a go and see how things turn out. I've been putting off making a start on my next work whilst I got feedback from the previous one I handed a few copies of out at asylum, but there's nothing stopping me from going ahead.

I made a note in my diary on the way over here. Simply says; "Bugger!"

"DON'T THINK OF IT AS DYING, JUST THINK OF IT AS LEAVING EARLY TO AVOID THE RUSH."
Augustus Longeye
Daedric Prince of Biscuits
Board Moderator
Rogue Ætherlord

« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2014, 07:58:45 pm »

Can't decide if I should do it or not this year. Might try, will let you know later Smiley
~Longeye~

Quote from: Sir Nikolas
I say you, chaps down there! Piss off, see? Haa ha! Love, Space Longeye <3
V.S. Velde
Deck Hand
Canada Canada

bluecaldera
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2014, 11:21:21 pm »

I'll be doing it this year. I did the 'camp' version of NaNoWriMo in July and managed to finish a 62K manuscript that I was very happy with, and I'm looking forward to writing a sequel to it this November. Everyone's different, but for me the key was writing something absolutely every day. A 2K average isn't too difficult as long as you stay consistent in giving yourself time to write.
Lazaras
Zeppelin Admiral

Have Wierd; Will Travel.

« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2014, 09:21:23 am »

Ddefinately going to give it a go. Last year's went well, so figure a sequel is in order. Not steampunk, but there is a lot of scavenging and tinkering going on given its a cast of robots.

Here's hoping I can pull another rabbit out of my hat.

Cheapie Theatre
Want something to read? Got ten minutes to kill? Here you go!
CPT_J_Percell
Board Moderator
Zeppelin Captain
England England

« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2014, 09:30:49 am »

I'm sort of entering with two novalla's one victorian pirate, 1 based on death.
Madasasteamfish
A clanger waiting to be dropped......
Board Moderator
Rogue Ætherlord

09madasafish
« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2014, 01:34:58 pm »

I've signed myself up but I feel like I'm cheating a bit since I'm not writinga novel so much as a collection of novellas linked by an overarching narrative. But then again, I'm looking at writing around 75,000 words so I feel like im entitled to a bit of leeway.
CPT_J_Percell
Board Moderator
Zeppelin Captain
England England

« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2014, 05:40:04 pm »

I've signed myself up but I feel like I'm cheating a bit since I'm not writinga novel so much as a collection of novellas linked by an overarching narrative. But then again, I'm looking at writing around 75,000 words so I feel like im entitled to a bit of leeway.

Doesn't matter in the end as long as you have over 50K words
Kevin1632
Snr. Officer

Steam breakfast of Champions

« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2014, 10:26:02 am »

I is not that I am not ready, I have just the opposite problem.

Having just read two and a half novels of backstory, and a fat folder of plot arc notes, I need to boil it all down and finish the story arc this year.

Continuity is a pain, especially with the story spread out over half a galaxy.... (and five previous years of NaNo)

Regards,
Kevin

CPT_J_Percell
Board Moderator
Zeppelin Captain
England England

« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2014, 06:01:47 pm »

You know what they say.
K.I.S.S.!

Good luck!
Lazaras
Zeppelin Admiral

Have Wierd; Will Travel.

« Reply #13 on: October 31, 2014, 05:29:38 pm »

Less than a day to go. In fact close to twelve hours depending on where in the states you are.

Actually for everyone in Oz, I hope you're doing well.

Anyway. Get those typing fingers ready folks.
CPT_J_Percell
Board Moderator
Zeppelin Captain
England England

« Reply #14 on: October 31, 2014, 07:15:01 pm »

I am somewhat set to go.
Steaming Pistons
Deck Hand

letsrockltd
« Reply #15 on: November 01, 2014, 05:21:54 pm »

I think I shall participate, if it's not too late! I entered a few years ago and enjoyed it, although it required quite a lot of concentration and determination.

I'm also participating in Movember as well, so it will give me a great opportunity to grow a splendid moustache whilst writing! In fact, that may be the basis of the story...  Wink Or stories, I may just use the time to write a selection of short stories each day. It's good motivation, anyway, isn't it? Hope all goes well for everyone! Chocks away!

Find the chuffing marvellous steampunk ebook compendium Steam Rising here: http://www.smashwords.com/books/view/452350 Coming soon in paperback!

The alternative zombie Sherlock Holmes tale on the trail of a psychotic cipher of Jack the Ripper known as Rick the Japer is also available in ebook form here: http://www.smashwords.com/books/view/442747

See our Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/steamingpistons
CPT_J_Percell
Board Moderator
Zeppelin Captain
England England

« Reply #16 on: November 02, 2014, 04:32:52 pm »

I think I shall participate, if it's not too late! I entered a few years ago and enjoyed it, although it required quite a lot of concentration and determination.

I'm also participating in Movember as well, so it will give me a great opportunity to grow a splendid moustache whilst writing! In fact, that may be the basis of the story...  Wink Or stories, I may just use the time to write a selection of short stories each day. It's good motivation, anyway, isn't it? Hope all goes well for everyone! Chocks away!

1 of December is too late.
30th November is pushing it!
V.S. Velde
Deck Hand
Canada Canada

bluecaldera
« Reply #17 on: November 04, 2014, 07:50:43 pm »

Would that be NaNoWriMuGroMo, then?

How's everyone else doing so far? I had my first good day of writing yesterday, and I'm going to try to push myself to write another 3K today and get up to 10K. My first draft tends to be heavy on dialogue, light on description and internal monologue.
gaslampfantasy
Deck Hand

« Reply #18 on: November 06, 2014, 08:34:25 pm »

I have never completed a novel in only one calendar month before, but I am giving it my best go. Got the first three chapters of Empire Of Steam done; and they are on my website (as first drafts) at: http://gaslampfantasy.wordpress.com/ Feel free to browse on the rest of the site, there are a few free stories, although not really steampunk (sorry!).
CPT_J_Percell
Board Moderator
Zeppelin Captain
England England

« Reply #19 on: November 09, 2014, 10:29:19 am »

Flagging at 15.8K  Shocked
rovingjack
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #20 on: November 10, 2014, 07:40:23 pm »

maybe I should stop coming up with new story ideas and outlining them all.  Tongue

I made the mistake last month of discovering some new techniques of plot outlining and styles of story telling. and have been building elaborate charts for character archs and plot structures.
gaslampfantasy
Deck Hand

« Reply #21 on: November 13, 2014, 02:47:25 pm »

Just passed 40,000 but have only a few chapters to finish. Hopefully there is still 10,000 words left.
Augustus Longeye
Daedric Prince of Biscuits
Board Moderator
Rogue Ætherlord

« Reply #22 on: November 14, 2014, 12:14:22 am »

20k and change, not flagging yet, not sure why.
~Longeye~
Lazaras
Zeppelin Admiral

Have Wierd; Will Travel.

« Reply #23 on: November 15, 2014, 07:21:14 pm »

Stalled at 12k. Idea of having end of chapter newsletter like snips isn't working. Typing on tablet far harder than I thought.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2014, 09:00:51 pm by Lazaras » Logged
CPT_J_Percell
Board Moderator
Zeppelin Captain
England England

« Reply #24 on: November 16, 2014, 01:24:24 pm »

Stalled at 12k. Idea of having end of chapter newsletter like snips isn't working. Typing on tablet far harder than I thought.

Well, I officially quit.
This is the first time that I have given up on any form of writing!
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: