The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
October 24, 2017, 07:04:25 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Support BrassGoggles! Donate once or $3/mo.
 See details here.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Dead Night, a gothic steampunk fantasy  (Read 4857 times)
Richard Hoover
Deck Hand
Canada Canada

« Reply #25 on: January 19, 2015, 12:55:51 am »

Finally made time to read the short story, which has intrigued me even more to read your first novel when the ebook releases.

I do feel I may be missing some of the nuances and background of this short, not having read the first novel yet.  If I were to guess, I'd suppose the next novel deals with politics between the Council and the Guild.  It seems too like the Council may be experimenting on converting humans into these "Night Walkers".  A special breed of vampire perhaps?  And the third thing I would guess would be some complication dealing with Avangelene's unborn child as she seems to be getting set up to have too problem free a life.

So?  How'd I do?  Or do I have to wait for the second book to find out?  Wink

Congratulations on getting so close to the release of your audiobook and ebook.  I'm looking into doing an audiobook for my first novel in February.

For my ebook, I started with an ePUB file which I found Amazon was able to easily convert to Kindle format.  It also gave me the benefit of being able to put my book on Kobo and Google Play (both accept ePUBs directly) and iTunes (which converts an ePUB to its own iBook format).  Just a thought for some other distribution channels you may want to consider.  Amazon and Kobo are definitely the easiest to publish on, then iTunes, then Google Play.

I also found this really useful article on formatting ebooks so that they have the best device compatibility: http://guidohenkel.com/2010/12/take-pride-in-your-ebook-formatting/  May be useful to you.

Thanks for the great short story read!

My novel Satin and Sutherland: The Golden Curse is available now!  Check out my website www.sealeftstudios.com for a sample, trailers, and more.
Madam Takara
Snr. Officer
England England

Lady Aveline Tamara Claudia Read III... or Madam T

« Reply #26 on: January 22, 2015, 08:39:02 pm »

Finally made time to read the short story, which has intrigued me even more to read your first novel when the ebook releases.

I do feel I may be missing some of the nuances and background of this short, not having read the first novel yet.  If I were to guess, I'd suppose the next novel deals with politics between the Council and the Guild.  It seems too like the Council may be experimenting on converting humans into these "Night Walkers".  A special breed of vampire perhaps?  And the third thing I would guess would be some complication dealing with Avangelene's unborn child as she seems to be getting set up to have too problem free a life.

So?  How'd I do?  Or do I have to wait for the second book to find out?  Wink

Congratulations on getting so close to the release of your audiobook and ebook.  I'm looking into doing an audiobook for my first novel in February.

For my ebook, I started with an ePUB file which I found Amazon was able to easily convert to Kindle format.  It also gave me the benefit of being able to put my book on Kobo and Google Play (both accept ePUBs directly) and iTunes (which converts an ePUB to its own iBook format).  Just a thought for some other distribution channels you may want to consider.  Amazon and Kobo are definitely the easiest to publish on, then iTunes, then Google Play.

I also found this really useful article on formatting ebooks so that they have the best device compatibility: http://guidohenkel.com/2010/12/take-pride-in-your-ebook-formatting/  May be useful to you.

Thanks for the great short story read!

First of all, thank you for reading the short! I'm so glad to hear you enjoyed it! Cheesy As for your guesses, I cannot say too much as I am currently still working on book the second and I am sworn to secrecy Wink You're getting close, I just can't tell you with what!

Thank you so much for your advice on e-books too, it is immensely helpful! I will pass thison to my assistant and we will get to work as soon as we can Cheesy (hopefully in the next week or so, but he is currently in university and I'm doing my art foundation at college so we're a busy pair)I hope it will be worth the wait! Of course I will be updating here with the link when the e-book is released.

And finally, all the best with your audio book! I thoroughly enjoyed making mine, despite that it murdered my voice for a good few days (thank goodness for tea).

Thank you once more!

I. I. Laverick
« Last Edit: January 22, 2015, 08:41:52 pm by Madam Takara » Logged

Medicate with tea ♥

......don't piss me off.....or I shall put you in my next book.....
Richard Hoover
Deck Hand
Canada Canada

« Reply #27 on: January 25, 2015, 04:42:48 pm »

You're such a tease Madam Takara.   Wink  Now I want to know even more how closely my guesses are.

Hope you find the ebook formatting tips useful.  I know they certainly helped me.
Madam Takara
Snr. Officer
England England

« Reply #28 on: January 26, 2015, 09:53:05 pm »

Salutations!

It seems that quite a few people who purchased Dead Night on release are finishing the book around now, so I'd absolutely LOVE it if you would let me know what you think! I have already had some great feedback and crit and it has been both uplifting and very useful (some of you will be glad to know that book two gets moving quite quickly as a result Wink) I stress that constructive crit is massively useful, after all I am a young writer, and feedback will help me grow and become better in my work.

So! Who was your favourite character? Do you have a favourite Cybelle one liner? What about weapons? Or did you spot one of the hints to the next book?

I'd love to know, largely because I am amazed at the support the book is getting from you wonderful people, and I am over the moon every time somebody tells me what they liked about it! These characters, this world is very close to my heart, and to know that it is being enjoyed is the best!

You could leave me an Amazon review or contact me via BG, book face (my assistant's domain), email or my personal website!

Thank you all so much!

Love and tea
Your loopy authoress,
I. I. Laverick

P.S, an update on the kindle edition- it shouldn't be long now, we have managed to format it using our new programme, all that is left is to get an official version up on Amazon!
Audio book is next up!
Madam Takara
Snr. Officer
England England

« Reply #29 on: January 28, 2015, 04:55:59 pm »

SURPRISE!

We have been very busy over the last couple weeks and I am INCREDIBLY pleased to report that THE EBOOK OF DEAD NIGHT WILL BE ON AMAZON WITHIN THE NEXT 48 HOURS! I will update here as soon as it is ready to buy. The e-book costs £4.00 GBP, and if you purchase the print copy, we are offering you a copy of the ebook at the special reduced price of £1.30! Thank you for being patient with us, and I hope that it will be worth the wait.

So I hope you enjoy it and remember to leave me an Amazon review Wink

Love and tea,
Madam T
Madam Takara
Snr. Officer
England England

« Reply #30 on: January 30, 2015, 09:24:38 pm »

Dead Night now available on kindle devices!!!!!

Here is the link (UK site, it will also be on several others including us and japanese (?)
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B00SY7ZK1K/ref=mp_s_a_1_2?qid=1422647301&sr=1-2&pi=AC_SY200_QL40&dpPl=1&dpID=51s9PpbRQdL&ref=plSrch

Please enjoy! Cheesy
Richard Hoover
Deck Hand
Canada Canada

« Reply #31 on: March 13, 2015, 09:23:45 pm »

I kind of dropped off the map for a while.  I've been waiting for this but time is tight right now.  I'll pick it up when I have a little more free time available.  Congrats!
Madam Takara
Snr. Officer
England England

« Reply #32 on: March 14, 2015, 12:16:04 am »

I kind of dropped off the map for a while.  I've been waiting for this but time is tight right now.  I'll pick it up when I have a little more free time available.  Congrats!

I understand that busy feeling! (I'm an illustration/animation student, I barely ever have time! Haha)
Thank you and I hope you enjoy it when you do have time to read Smiley
umfederon
Spammer
Banned user
Swab
France France

« Reply #33 on: March 17, 2015, 04:54:28 am »

Well, it looks very good.  Cheesy

« Last Edit: May 22, 2015, 10:41:26 pm by Siliconous Skumins » Logged
Madam Takara
Snr. Officer
England England

« Reply #34 on: March 27, 2015, 06:15:48 pm »

Well, it looks very good.  Cheesy

Thank you!

**spam in quote removed by Moderator**
« Last Edit: May 22, 2015, 10:42:42 pm by Siliconous Skumins » Logged
Madam Takara
Snr. Officer
England England

« Reply #35 on: April 03, 2015, 07:56:35 pm »

WELLLLL...long time no see, so we thought we would update you on the happenings of Dead Night HQ.
1) The Audiobook is NEARLY ready for Release. All the files are ready, just need tO find an appropriate channel of releaSe. We shall kEep up updated on thiS in the near future.
2) The second book has begun to develop in ways that are much darker than the First book. If yOu thought the fiRst book was dark, well you're in for a bit of a surprise! LeTs just say tHat this book will bE VERY Detailed into thE workings of the guild And all life in LonDon during that era.

We will be keeping you posted Wink
Love and tea,
Madam T
Madam Takara
Snr. Officer
England England

« Reply #36 on: April 22, 2015, 08:44:44 pm »

Hello all!

If you have read Dead Night and could spare ten minutes, I would be ETERNALLY greatful if you could drop by either Amazon or Good reads and write me a review. It doesn't have to be reams but I really want to gather more feedback so that I can become better for book 2 of the series, which as you may know, is currently well underway.
Thank you everybody who has been supporting my work so far, it means the world Smiley

Love and tea
Madam T
Steamed_Up_Scholar
Deck Hand
England England

« Reply #37 on: May 11, 2015, 04:00:58 pm »

*Bows head in shame*

Madam I beg forgivness, I have only just put up my review of your novel, 4 months after finishing your work. I have been honest, so please forgive my niggling complaints, although you assuredly know that I adored the adventures or Cybelle and her kin.. I think kin is an apt word for the guild... I digress.

We may all be Steampunks, but I prefer to call myself a Phantasmagorical Dandy.
Madam Takara
Snr. Officer
England England

« Reply #38 on: May 19, 2015, 04:28:27 pm »

*Bows head in shame*

Madam I beg forgivness, I have only just put up my review of your novel, 4 months after finishing your work. I have been honest, so please forgive my niggling complaints, although you assuredly know that I adored the adventures or Cybelle and her kin.. I think kin is an apt word for the guild... I digress.

I can assure you that you need not bow your head! I am eternally grateful that you left a review, late or otherwise. Your criticism was most helpful, and I will be keeping it in mind for book two (and the ever possible second edition of book one). I presume the characters you mentioned within were Lizzie and Lina? I assure you I shall be keeping my eye on those two (I have some...things...planned for them in the future Wink)
Once again, thank you for taking the time to write a review, I cannot express how helpful each one is to me!
Lady Coral Lesong
Officer
United States United States

« Reply #39 on: May 19, 2015, 05:12:38 pm »

Madam Takara,
    Your novel immensely fascinates me. I will have to wait until Yule to get it for myself, but it is an experience that I truly cannot wait for. It appears to be exciting blend of everything that I love the most in novels, steampunk and fantasy. I loved the trailers as well. Smiley
                                                                                                                                           Yours truly,
                                                                                                                                              Lady Coral Lesong

Madam Takara
Snr. Officer
England England

« Reply #40 on: May 19, 2015, 05:27:07 pm »

Madam Takara,
    Your novel immensely fascinates me. I will have to wait until Yule to get it for myself, but it is an experience that I truly cannot wait for. It appears to be exciting blend of everything that I love the most in novels, steampunk and fantasy. I loved the trailers as well. Smiley
                                                                                                                                           Yours truly,
                                                                                                                                              Lady Coral Lesong

Lady Lesong,

Thank you, I am very glad to hear! I hope when you do manage to get it, that you will enjoy it Smiley

Iove and tea,
Madam T
Madam Takara
Snr. Officer
England England

« Reply #41 on: May 31, 2015, 09:39:59 pm »

Ask me anything!!!

So, with everything about to snowball for me with DN over summer, my editor and I are working on a short video series for free viewing on YouTube, in which I get well and truly interrogated about all things Dead Night Saga. We are hoping to begin production within a couple of weeks, and we have decided to offer you, the readers, first priority in deciding what I get quizzed on! So, what would you like to ask me? If you post a question here or on any of the DN social media, I will answer it in the interview! All questions will be included unless we get duplicates, so ask away!
It can be anything related to Dead Night or writing, including details about book two (obviously some things, I can't tell you, but I can give you hints! And there are some things I WILL be willing to reveal!) Post as many questions as you like (as long as there are not twenty per person or something! XD)

You can ask me via
Brass Goggles- either post a comment below or PM me
Email- at imo.laverick@virginmedia.com
DeviantART- PM or comment on TakaraYuuki's profile or deadnightuniverse.deviatart.com
Facebook- comment on TheDeadNightSaga page

And I will update here when the first episode is released Smiley

Oh, and speaking of book two, I've decided to release the title. It will be called Heart of Night
Madam Takara
Snr. Officer
England England

« Reply #42 on: July 17, 2015, 06:31:44 pm »

Dead Night is now officially an audio book! We are so sorry for the long wait, but at last it is ready! You can buy it on Audible, iTunes and Amazon! Thank you all for being patient with us, I hope it is worth the wait ^.^

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Dead-Night-The-Saga/dp/1502377292
https://mobile.audible.com.au/pd/Sci-Fi-Fantasy/Dead-Night-Audiobook/B011IT3M3I

Also, for those local steampunk bookworms, I'll be at the steampunk day in Southcart Books in Walsall tomorrow reading from Dead Night/Heart of Night at 11.05. Come along, its for a good cause, there are some fantastic authors/exhibitors and there will be tea! Smiley
Mercury Wells
Rogue Ætherlord
I insiste that you do call me WELLS. :)

« Reply #43 on: July 17, 2015, 08:35:26 pm »

Not bad little story.  Grin

Though there is a little niggle, the text colour that does need tweaking as it goes down the page. I had to highlight it to read it.

Is there going to be graphic novel or even an animation in the future?

If you need more character voices for the Audio books...look no further than BG.  Wink Grin

Oh...my old war wound? I got that at The Battle of Dorking. Very nasty affair that was, I can tell you.

The Ministry of Tea respectfully advises you to drink one cup of tea day...for that +5 Moral Fibre stat.
Madam Takara
Snr. Officer
England England

« Reply #44 on: August 08, 2015, 06:47:57 pm »

Not bad little story.  Grin

Though there is a little niggle, the text colour that does need tweaking as it goes down the page. I had to highlight it to read it.

Is there going to be graphic novel or even an animation in the future?

If you need more character voices for the Audio books...look no further than BG.  Wink Grin

Thank you! Glad you enjoyed it! Yes, I am aware of the text problem on my site, I have looked into it and as soon as we have a better layout, we're going to update the website to make it a little easier. Thanks for pointing it out. I think the problem lay with the story being an update that wasn't there when we designed the site, so must have overlooked it's problematic colours .

I'm glad you asked Wink we have two graphic novel projects on the go at the moment (one is an adaption of the story and another is a prequel) that may take a while but will hopefully be worth the wait, and my animation skills are being put to work in a series of projects that I'll be releasing whenever I can get them finished! I'm glad that there seems to be a bit of interest for that kind of thing! Basically, watch this space Wink

I shall keep that in mind Wink with the audio book done, we MAY have voice acting opportunities for a top secret projfect in the future but I'll certainly make it known here on BG should the opportunity arise, there's so many talented people here in the steampunk community Smiley
Madam Takara
Snr. Officer
England England

« Reply #45 on: August 23, 2015, 05:48:10 pm »

Salutations!

It's been a little quiet around here, but don't you worry, we have a lot planned in upcoming months, not least what I am about to announce!
So, those of you who attended the Southcart Books event will know I did a short reading from the novel there. The event went really well and raised over £130 for New Futures Nepal which was fantastic! (I am also contributing to a flash fiction anthology book for the same cause very soon, but more news there when I have it.
I understand that some of my readers couldn't make it to the event, so we decided to film the reading at home to share with all of you! I also have an exciting release in these videos....the very first preview of book the second, Heart of Night! I'm very happy to hear that people have been asking about the second book, so here is an exclusive sneak preview for Chapter 9!
Part 1 is from Dead night, parts two and three are Heart of Night.

Here are the links! Subscribe to my youtube channel for more Dead Night related videos Wink

Part 1: https://youtu.be/o5eYnZuPk_k
Part 2 (Contains strong language): https://youtu.be/ihqJzVYZStU
Part 3 (Contains strong language): https://youtu.be/2n1RpL5u06E
Lady_Lockharte
Deck Hand

« Reply #46 on: August 31, 2015, 02:30:22 am »

So I have yet to publish anything, but I have been writing for many many years. I'm currently making real effots to finish a novel. Once I do, i hope to get it published (although I have no idea how to go about it). I'm not exactly sure how well my story would fit into the steampunk genre, but it is at least steampunk-esque. There are no airships or ray guns, and magic is at a minimum. There are a race of automatons...of sorts. However, the story does not focus on them. It might be considered adult literature, as it is a bit sexualized in some scenes and has others of explicit violence. It is not an upbeat adventure story, nor is it a romance by any means. My stories tend to be dark, gritty, and I don't believe in happy endings.

However, I'm a complete amateur when it comes to the big world of published books. I have no idea what audiences are into, how to categorize my work, what my boundaries are when trying to appeal to certain audiences, what a good length of a novel even is, etc.
Lady_Lockharte
Deck Hand

ugh
« Reply #47 on: August 31, 2015, 02:32:56 am »

so sorry... i swore this was in a different area of the forum... if someone could delete my two posts in here that'd be great.

New gal here, feeling dumb.  Embarrassed
Madam Takara
Snr. Officer
England England

« Reply #48 on: October 11, 2015, 12:34:04 am »

so sorry... i swore this was in a different area of the forum... if someone could delete my two posts in here that'd be great.

New gal here, feeling dumb.  Embarrassed

Hiya, don't worry about it!

(I'll happily delete the posts....when I work out how to do it! Sorry xD bit of a technophobe )
Madam Takara
Snr. Officer
England England

« Reply #49 on: October 23, 2015, 11:55:02 am »

Salutations all!

Just a quick heads up that we've finished refurbishing the website! It is now much easier to read, and we've added a ton of new content! There are three exclusive new short stories, articles on the science, history and logic of the Night, new artwork, and you can even preview the full track listing for the upcoming Dead Night soundtrack! I reccomend checking it out if you enjoyed the novel or are thinking of buying it. I will try to be updating the site as much as possible now, so keep checking back.

http://imolaverick.wix.com/DeadNightOfficial

Also, just a reminder that I am working on the second edition of book one right now. I hope to have it out by Xmas but no promises just yet. Again, I will update when I know a date.

Enjoy!
Love and tea
Madam T
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: