The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
October 23, 2017, 02:41:52 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Miranda's cheapskate Steampunk accessories  (Read 3948 times)
Miranda.T
Zeppelin Captain
United Kingdom United Kingdom

« Reply #25 on: December 14, 2015, 11:26:47 pm »

Well, while the paint is still drying on my Steampunk Christmas contribution, I thought I'd throw in a quick one here. With many inexpensive Christmas decorations in the shops this year, it's worthwhile looking around for anything that could have a life beyond the festive season.

Below is a wire and plastic 'gem' tree decoration costing just over £1:

My thought is to add a dark material behind it (to make the gold of the wire stand out), probably in a 'rosette' style, possibly replace some of the 'gems' with other colours to give a bit more variation, and then add a broach pin at the back. It can then be used to pin up a skirt to allow my giblet hung items to be seen and accessed (as commented on above).

So, have a look around those Christmas bauble aisles, especially as we get closer to Christmas and items are discounted to shift the remaining stock, as there might be something useful in amongst the pastic Santas and nodding-head Rudolphs.

Yours,
Miranda.
Miranda.T
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #26 on: February 22, 2016, 12:21:23 am »

As I've mentioned probably too many times, I have this philosophy that my little creations should have two functions - one fantasy Steampunk and one real. Well, this is a slightly odd one, as both of these functions are one and the same, as this is my portable science kit.

Here's the box it fits in, with a pen for scale:

The box originally was the presentation case for a watch; I've just added the leather band that goes underneath so a carry strap can be fitted.

Here is the kit so far packed (the brown panel to the right holds the lid contents in place):

Here are the contents unpacked:

A lot of the bits here are fairly obvious. The microscope is one I've had since I was a child. As we have a full-size one in the lab study which was surplus to requirements at work (moveable specimen stage and all), I thought the little one could go into this kit.

The bigger glass jar is for bug-hunting (to be let go after an inspection with the hand lens, of course). The syringe I should add is from a printer refilling kit and no needle is included in the science kit.

The two cylinders top centre are a polarimeter made from some polariod sheet inserted into a couple of pump-soap parts; put a translucent object between them and the colours produced show the stress patterns within it.

The cylinder bottom left is a reflection spectrometer. It's made from a contact-lens case which has been sprayed to make it opaque aside from a narrow slit. Underneath that has been placed a slice taken from a writable CD which acts as the diffraction grating. Hold the open end to your eye and you can see the spectrum from a light source - it works really well on fluorescent lights.

Still to be added is some universal indicator paper, some coffee filter paper for chromatography, some microscope slides (we've currently run short of these) and a small notebook that looks suitably Steampunk. Saying that, another thought is that the contents could be changed depending on the expedition; for example, if going fossil hunting down in Dorset I'd put in a better hand lens and a small hammer. Do the good people of Brass Goggles have any further suggestions as to what might be added?

Yours,
Miranda.
Prof. Cecily
Snr. Officer
Spain Spain

« Reply #27 on: February 22, 2016, 09:33:51 am »

Good morning ladies and gentlemen.
The only thing I can think of to add to this charming kit is my admiration, dear Miranda.
So splendid.

I remain yours,
Prof. Cecily
Miranda.T
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #28 on: February 22, 2016, 06:30:54 pm »

The only thing I can think of to add to this charming kit is my admiration, dear Miranda.
So splendid.

I remain yours,
Prof. Cecily

Thank you! Actually, I have thought of one quick thing to add - a candle for flame tests.

Yours,
Miranda.
Hektor Plasm
Zeppelin Captain

All-Round Oddfellow.

« Reply #29 on: February 22, 2016, 06:42:12 pm »

So splendid.

I remain yours,
Prof. Cecily

Thank you! Actually, I have thought of one quick thing to add - a candle for flame tests.

Yours,
Miranda.

I was thinking of a little spirit burner when I saw the little bottles, but a candle is good!

HP

"all die! o, the embarrassment."
H Plasm Esq. ICUE    Avatar by and with kind permission of Dr Geof. Ta!!

Some musings:-
http://hektorplasm.blogspot.co.uk/
Miranda.T
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #30 on: February 22, 2016, 06:58:43 pm »

(snip)

I was thinking of a little spirit burner when I saw the little bottles, but a candle is good!

HP

I've some plans around a type of spirit burner, but that's for a different project which I hope to look at before the season of summer punknicks (basically something that could be used for heating a scientific experiment but that could also be used for a bit of small scale al fresco cooking).

Yours,
Miranda.
Quin
Snr. Officer
Canada Canada

Not mad, just a little odd...

« Reply #31 on: February 24, 2016, 11:59:08 am »

A probe and forceps? 

This is marvelous.  I recently acquired a small microscope that's battered enough that I wouldn't mind putting it into a kit like this. 
Maets
Immortal
United States United States

Gravatar

Airship Builder

« Reply #32 on: February 25, 2016, 03:09:43 pm »

Very nice. 

You need a few slides.

So what is on the agenda for scientific research this week?

Miranda.T
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #33 on: February 25, 2016, 07:19:53 pm »

Dear Quin and Maets,
Many thanks! Actually, my youngest has just started a new topic in primary school of 'light', and she's thinking of making a simple orary (just Earth and moon with a light for the sun) to show the phases of the moon, so I think the next project might be helping with that.

Yours,
Miranda.
Maets
Immortal
United States United States

Gravatar

Airship Builder

« Reply #34 on: February 29, 2016, 11:47:28 pm »

Dear Quin and Maets,
Many thanks! Actually, my youngest has just started a new topic in primary school of 'light', and she's thinking of making a simple orary (just Earth and moon with a light for the sun) to show the phases of the moon, so I think the next project might be helping with that.

Yours,
Miranda.

That sounds like a great project.  Please share.
Banfili
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

« Reply #35 on: March 01, 2016, 07:45:31 am »

Beautiful little kit, Miranda!

As an archaeologist, mine would be a bit different - there is a plan afoot to amass same when circumstances allow.
Miranda.T
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #36 on: March 01, 2016, 07:19:11 pm »

Beautiful little kit, Miranda!

As an archaeologist, mine would be a bit different - there is a plan afoot to amass same when circumstances allow.

Many thanks! Archaeology, yes, that has a lot of options, although fitting in the Steampunk carbon dating machine could be a bit of a challenge  Roll Eyes

Yours,
Miranda.
Miranda.T
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #37 on: August 07, 2016, 09:58:43 pm »

Not sure this counts as an 'accessory', but it didn't seem worthwhile starting a new thread for it.

This is our entry for the Steampunk Wales teapot racing competition, the Martian Tripot:

The little Martian was fashioned by my daughters. It needs a lot more work both in the mechanicals to be race competitive (or at least to be able to climb a fairly shallow ramp and be able to properly turn left...) and aesthetically; I thought we might cover the top of the RC with a little diorama depicting Horsell Common with some poor soul being fried by a heat ray, emanating from the teapot's spout of course!

Yours,
Miranda.
Hektor Plasm
Zeppelin Captain

All-Round Oddfellow.

« Reply #38 on: August 08, 2016, 05:22:55 pm »

Haha! I wonder what Martian tea tastes like?  Grin

Probably needs milk... but of what hue?

HP
Cora Courcelle
Snr. Officer
England England

« Reply #39 on: August 08, 2016, 10:18:03 pm »

This teapot was awesome, and looked fantastic in action, and what Miranda is far too modest to say is that all of the racers had extreme difficulty on the ramp - we only saw one person manage it unaided.  It was brilliant!

You have to tread a fine line between avant-garde surrealism and getting yourself sectioned...
Miranda.T
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #40 on: November 12, 2016, 04:51:15 pm »

This one is a work in progress. We had an old 1980s era table lamp, a bit similar to the one shown here https://www.etsy.com/uk/listing/241465106/blue-desk-vintage-lamp-with-flexible-arm?ga_order=most_relevant&ga_search_type=all&ga_view_type=gallery&ga_search_query=blue%20vintage%20desk%20lamp&ref=sr_gallery_48 except in beige. The base, neck and shade were all (apparently) plastic.

The thing had stopped working, and in any case the black Bakelite type bulb fitment at the top was breaking up, so we were about to throw it away when a little thought struck me - could there be any usable bits underneath the plastic? So I started to strip it down, an there certainly was - in fact the plastic base was covering a metal one and the plastic on its neck a metal flexible hose. So, the fitment at the top was replaced with an inexpensive metal one and a new cable fitted (one with an earth wire to connect to the metalwork) to give this:

The base is a bit rusty so I'll give that a coat of brass or copper paint in due course but I think I'll leave the neck as it is. The bulb is a relatively cheap one from Wilkinson's in their 'vintage' range; its filaments light up as here:

So, aside from painting the base I just need to find (or make) a suitable shade.

Yours,
Miranda.
SeVeNeVeS
Immortal
England England

« Reply #41 on: November 12, 2016, 05:36:43 pm »

nice to see to a bit of recycling going on and very nice to hear that an earth has been connected.

anal stickler for safety here and so many lamp revamps/ builds l see neglect that all important earth.

please do post piccies of the final thing painted with shade on. 

Cora Courcelle
Snr. Officer
England England

« Reply #42 on: November 12, 2016, 05:49:04 pm »

I'm sure any shade you put on will look splendid, but personally I'd leave the bulb bare, 'cos I love that filament.
Miranda.T
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #43 on: November 12, 2016, 08:53:49 pm »

I'm sure any shade you put on will look splendid, but personally I'd leave the bulb bare, 'cos I love that filament.

Actually I'd 'like to have my cake and eat it' by choosing/making a shade which shields the glare of the bulb from behind but allows its structure to be seen from the front.

In other news... We're off to 'Steampunks in Space' tomorrow. Now, if there's anything watching the crimson short one has told me about space, it's that "it's cold outside, with no kind of atmosphere"... The first of these is easily dealt with - I'll be wearing one of my Whitby outfits; when you go up there you have to be ready for a temperature in single figures (and it often does feel like that's in kelvin, not Celsius...) As to the latter, I've added a mini-respirator to my hat:

Now, I do like my little additions to have a practical as well as fantasy use. The 'oxygen cylinders' to either side of the centre valve are actually lipsticks, for a quick touch-up as needed during the day.

Of course, a rocket pack is jolly useful when up in orbit. Here's one I've made for my youngest:

The addition of some cheap battery powered leds gives it a bit more life:

And the practical use for this? The fuel canisters are recycled plastic tubs and can be opened up to store small items.

Yours,
Miranda.
Banfili
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

« Reply #44 on: November 12, 2016, 08:59:54 pm »

Oh, very nice! And very practical, too!
Hez
Zeppelin Captain
Canada Canada

aka Miss Primrose C Leigh

« Reply #45 on: November 13, 2016, 05:39:48 am »

Miranda, you are one of my heroes.
Miranda.T
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #46 on: November 13, 2016, 11:14:21 pm »

Oh, very nice! And very practical, too!

Miranda, you are one of my heroes.

Thank you both!

Yours,
Miranda.
Prof. Cecily
Snr. Officer
Spain Spain

« Reply #47 on: November 14, 2016, 12:25:59 am »

Good evening, ladies and gentlemen.
So, so clever you are.
Have a wonderful time at the event!

I remain yours,
Prof. Cecily
Miranda.T
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #48 on: November 14, 2016, 10:33:16 pm »

Good evening, ladies and gentlemen.
So, so clever you are.
Have a wonderful time at the event!

I remain yours,
Prof. Cecily

Thank you, and we did! One thing though - since the first iteration of the rocket pack (made for Steampunk Wales in the summer) she's grown, so I now need to put on longer tubes for her arms to comfortably go through. No rest for the wicked  Wink

Yours,
Miranda.
Cora Courcelle
Snr. Officer
England England

« Reply #49 on: November 15, 2016, 11:08:07 pm »

she's grown, so I now need to put on longer tubes for her arms to comfortably go through. No rest for the wicked  Wink

Yours,
Miranda.

Have you considered not feeding her?

Glad you had a good time.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: