The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
October 20, 2017, 07:52:36 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: STEAPMPUNK INDIA  (Read 1246 times)
Professor Cyrus Poe
Deck Hand
United States United States

« on: September 11, 2014, 11:47:58 pm »

I'm sure this is not the first post about this video or website, but I just stumbled on it myself.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OdG8ycCfCqg

If you liked the video you'll love the website.

I mean OMG is this cool or what!

http://www.steampunkindia.com/index.html

Men with minds sensitive to hereditary impulse will always tremble at the thought of the hidden and fathomless worlds of strange life which may pulsate in the gulfs beyond the stars, or press hideously upon our own globe in unholy dimensions which only the dead and the moon struck can glimpse.
Professor Cyrus Poe
Deck Hand

« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2014, 11:52:58 pm »

Oh! and check out the photo gallery on the webpage too.
Can't talk now, I'm getting ready to move to India, TODAY!
« Last Edit: September 11, 2014, 11:56:53 pm by Professor Cyrus Poe » Logged
oldskoolpunk
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2014, 09:02:37 am »

Jeri and the Greater Game. Kiplingesque steampunk in an alternative Raj.
Angus A Fitziron
Zeppelin Overlord
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Research Air Ship R.A.S. 'Saorsa'

« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2014, 04:47:05 pm »

Oh my goodness - how did I miss this?? I have long thought that India in the time of the Raj was actually much more conducive to steampunk than Victorian London. As the narrator says in the video, the 'punk' in Steampunk allows us to enjoy and celebrate the best of Empire without the guilt that follows history. Saved to watch again (I had to kill the 's' in the https: to view in UK...) So, where does this lead us? Time to resurrect the idea of the 1st Bangalore Pioneers anybody??

and Professor, probably not India, more like Birmingham!

ffitz (and yes, it is cool)

Airship Artificer, part-time romantik and amateur Natural Philosopher

"wee all here are much troubled with the loss of poor Thompson & Sutton"
Never mind the Cogs
Snr. Officer
England England

Chin Chin !

« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2014, 07:47:04 pm »

where in Birmingham!

If it wasn't for the last minute, nothing at all would ever get done!
Camellia Wingnut
Snr. Officer
United States Minor Outlying Islands United States Minor Outlying Islands

Take my camel, dear. . . .

« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2014, 09:08:42 pm »

My Dear Fellows,
I am so thrilled that I need my smelling salts! One of my Pinterest boards is called 'Rajpunk,' and I thought I was alone!
C.W.
e.g. The Indian exhibits at the Great Expedition:

Take my camel, dear, said my aunt Camellia, climbing down from that animal on her return from high mass. The camel, a white Arabian Dhalur (single hump) from the famous herd of the Ruola tribe, had been a parting present, its saddle-bags stuffed with low-carat [sic] gold and flashy orient gems, from a rich desert tycoon. . . .
Angus A Fitziron
Zeppelin Overlord

« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2014, 07:54:13 pm »

where in Birmingham!

Sorry Mr.Cogs, bit of a flippant coment on my part based on what I thought might be a Birmingham nuance on the video clip. No offence intended of course.

Lady Wingnut - any chance of an invite up to inspect your Pinterest etchings?

Wink
Camellia Wingnut
Snr. Officer

« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2014, 11:48:02 pm »

My Dear ffitz,
You may indeed visit my Pinterest etchings - at the rate of one per sennight; I'm not as young as I was. And if you can manage the stairs.
Great-Aunt Camellia, (formerly of the Fishing Fleet, 1887).
P.S. My Rajpunk Pinterest board is under another pseudonym: J-V. Vernay. Now you know this, I must kill you. Watch out for cobras in the ghusul-khana!
P.P.S. Have you yet had the curious arcane pleasure of reading Yule's 'Hobson-Jobson'? (Free Google e-book PDF download) All the intricate Anglo-Indian obscurity one could ever wish for, and more. . . .
« Last Edit: September 26, 2014, 11:57:17 pm by Camellia Wingnut » Logged
Angus A Fitziron
Zeppelin Overlord

« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2014, 10:46:59 pm »

Dear Lady,

thank you so much for the invite - so mysterious and so thrilling. I'm not sure how often I can manage it either, however, thank you for the kind warning! The pet mongoose 'Monty' should keep the creepy crawlies at bay as I do so look forward to living long enough to review the wonderfully titled 'Hobson - Jobson'!

with my genuine thanks and sincerest regards,

yours &etc,

ffitz

Capt. retd. 1st Bangalore Pioneers
Camellia Wingnut
Snr. Officer

« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2014, 11:28:42 pm »

My Dear Captain,
I do believe I met your Mama in Simla, 1890. The poodle-fakers adored her; but (I am happy to say) she had eyes only for your Papa. And what a dashing fellow he was, to be sure!
Ah, cobras!
One hopes the mongoose is always victorious. In my youth, Bournemouth was littered with taxidermy of such combats - truly ghastly. . . .
Gt.-Aunt Camellia, (formerly the Toast of the Regiment).
« Last Edit: October 02, 2014, 03:01:27 am by Camellia Wingnut » Logged
chicar
Rogue Ætherlord
Canada Canada

Student in Techno-Shamanism and Lyncanthrope

Chicar556
« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2014, 03:07:20 am »

Some things for the steampunk indians to nibble on :
http://www.buzzfeed.com/ryankincaid/indian-restaurant-dishes-you-can-make-at-home?bffb&utm_term=4ldqphi#2m2ibnt

The word pagan came from paganus , who mean peasant . Its was a way to significate than christianism was the religion of the elite and paganism the one of the savage worker class.

''Trickster shows us how we trick OURSELVES. Her rampant curiosity backfires, but, then, something NEW is discovered (though usually not what She expected)! This is where creativity comes from—experiment, do something different, maybe even something forbidden, and voila! A breakthrough occurs! Ha! Ha! We are released! The world is created anew! Do something backwards, break your own traditions, the barrier breaks; destroy the world as you know it, let the new in.''
Extract of the Dreamflesh article ''Path of The Sacred Clown''
Prof. Cecily
Snr. Officer
Spain Spain

« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2014, 08:30:29 am »

Good morning, ladies and gentlemen.
Rajpunk! And food!

My Dear Fellows,
I am so thrilled that I need my smelling salts! One of my Pinterest boards is called 'Rajpunk,' and I thought I was alone!
C.W.
e.g. The Indian exhibits at the Great Expedition:

Oh, what a wonderful way to start the week- designing weapons and thinking of Rajpunk inspired accessories.
And Rajpunk food...
Dear Aunt Camilla, I may have  need for the 'galloping horses' corset lacing technique.

I remain yours,
Prof. Cecily

Camellia Wingnut
Snr. Officer

« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2014, 10:06:37 am »

My Dear Cecily,
Since you have mastered (or mistressed) the most savage of corset-lacing techniques, you might like to see Vicereine Mary Curzon's famous peacock dress by Worth, for the Delhi Durbar 1903.
Lady Curzon was famous for her tiny waist, which was so small that even her daughters could never wear her gowns. Worth made two of the dresses, the other for Queen Liliuokalani of Hawaii.
There is an illustration of Lady Curzon in an old and fascinating book called 'The Woman Beautiful', with recipes for cosmetics and potions.
Shall we try some? Say, Fairy Powder, or Milk of Violets?
Yr. Affct. Gt.-Aunt,
Camellia
P.S. There is, however, a superstition that peacock feathers are unlucky. I would cry a resounding "Tosh!" - except that Lady Curzon died prematurely at 36, and Liliuokalani was deposed after two years.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2014, 09:00:17 pm by Camellia Wingnut » Logged
GCCC
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #13 on: October 07, 2014, 06:10:15 am »

The link for the YouTube video is not working for me...

However, the site looks awesome!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: