The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
October 23, 2017, 12:04:54 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: A Request of the Writers (and their readers) Who Post Their Work on This Forum  (Read 761 times)
GCCC
Zeppelin Admiral
United States United States

« on: September 09, 2014, 11:06:38 pm »

There are a great many writers who post short stories and serials on this forum, as well as elsewhere on the web. For the (Relatively Comprehensive) lists of Steampunk works in literature I am about to focus on e-publications. It has been difficult for me, along with my normal, non-Brass Goggles life, to suss out the different authors, stories, and series I've seen posted in Textual. I would, however, very much like to include your Steampunk works and give you your proper due.

So, if you or someone you know have/has posted a story to Brass Goggles, please help me with the following:  What is the url where the tale can be found? Who is/are the author(s)? Do they wish to be known by their real names or by their forum names? Is this part of a connected series? If so, are all the tales on one thread or are they posted in multiple threads? If the latter, what are the urls for the other threads?

Have you or someone you know posted stories elsewhere on the web? If so, please provide the answers put forth in the previous paragraph.

Now, this next bit is sticky, and a bit controversial, but:  is it Steampunk? I realize there is no one, single, definitive, correct answer to this and that everyone is entitled to their own opinion in this matter, but I really must insist that no "well, it's not really Steampunk, but..." -type responses are given. This is due to the sheer volume of works that are out there vs. my limited free time. For example, there are currently 321 individual authors/series with 776 individual titles in the traditionally published novels list, 198 individual creators/series with 411 individual titles in the graphic novels list, 128 individual anthologies/collections (which I haven't finished posting to the forum), 85 individual authors/series with 171 individual titles in the e-published list (not yet posted), and 169 authors with 218 individual titles in the non-fiction list (not yet posted). All the lists continue to grow. Surely one can appreciate the need to eliminate the "not really" from the "almost certainly" if I am to maintain any sort of sanity on this project.

Please help me out however you can. The more complete this list is able to become, the better resource it will be for the community.

I thank you in advance, and remain, your servant,
GCCC
RodDuncan
Gunner
United Kingdom United Kingdom

« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2014, 01:50:02 pm »

Are you looking for traditional linear stories only?

I have an online non-linear steampunk story world called the Gas-Lit Empire here: www.gaslitempire.co.uk

Probably not what you are looking for, but I wasn't sure.

Rod
gaslampfantasy
Deck Hand

« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2014, 02:48:46 pm »

I have written a short story called Don't Go Out On The Moors; and one called Lost (A Cautionary TalE0. They are in the Steampunk and/or Victorian urban legends thread. The stories are Victorian, rather than steampunk.
GCCC
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2014, 03:01:48 pm »

@RodDuncan:  I don't think linear storytelling should be a requirement, if it meets our other criteria. Do you have a name for the series?

@gaslampfantasy:  To save the time searching, would you mind providing the links to these? 
RodDuncan
Gunner

« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2014, 04:08:28 pm »

@RodDuncan:  I don't think linear storytelling should be a requirement, if it meets our other criteria. Do you have a name for the series?

The world I am writing about is called the Gas-Lit Empire, so that is probably the best title to use. www.gaslitempire.co.uk is the website.
This fiction runs in parallel to my novels, which have the series title The Fall of the Gas-Lit Empire

Rod

GCCC
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2014, 09:03:23 pm »

Got it. Thanks!
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

"This is the sort of thing no-one ever believes"

rtafStElmo
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2014, 12:11:33 am »

Between the Threads is a chronicle of what happened to the aerial warship RTAF (Republic of Texas Air Fleet) St. Elmo between the events of the original Steam London RP and those of the sequel thereto, which was entitled Steam London: Realms of Aether. It chronicles the exploits of Commodore J.S. Dreyfuss, his niece Irene Cross, and the first crew of the St. Elmo as they battle air pirates to save the son of a peer of the realm, fight off attacks by undead adversaries in the air, and meet with representatives of Her Majesty's Secret Service for an as yet unchronicled mission (hopefully soon to be added).

The URL is here on BG: http://brassgoggles.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,15829.0.html.

Walk softly and carry a big banjo...

""quid statis aspicientes in infernum"
GCCC
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2014, 05:19:27 am »

I will add it. Thanks, Mr. Bailey!
gaslampfantasy
Deck Hand

« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2014, 01:13:14 pm »

Sorry. both stories are on the page: http://brassgoggles.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,41041.25.html
GCCC
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2014, 05:14:59 pm »

Got it. Thanks!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: