The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
December 17, 2017, 10:49:53 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: How to un-Nerf a Nerf.  (Read 3057 times)
ZeroID
Gunner
New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #25 on: September 29, 2014, 10:18:55 am »

Similar to zero. Ice block sticks.

A small expansion steam engine ? Love all the copper and brass aged.
bicyclebuilder
Zeppelin Overlord
Netherlands Netherlands

A.K.A. Scanner Camera Builder

« Reply #26 on: September 29, 2014, 12:45:20 pm »

Looking at the internals of the Furyfire Nerf, I see there is little room right behind the NERF decal. About left and right from the Reverse plunger.

But it's not enough to house the lightning ballpoint LED. Also, the reverse plunger prevents to lighten up both sides with one LED.

I like the slim shape of the pump handle, so I guess I won't make a knuckle guard for it. What comes to mind is a scope-like transparent tube with the lightning ballpoint LED inside. A plunger with the LED attached would go simultaneous with the pump handle.

For the "story" the gun should tell, I guess I'll go for an Edison machine rather than Tesla. Thomas was more likely to make a military machine than Nicolai. A plaque or guidebooklet that says:"tested on elephants" and "patented"

The best way to learn is by personal experience.
bicyclebuilder
Zeppelin Overlord
Netherlands Netherlands

A.K.A. Scanner Camera Builder

« Reply #27 on: September 29, 2014, 10:00:13 pm »

I've got a few pictures to show you.

this is the LED set I've got. With a few hotglue drops attached. Bitween the two LED's you see a little cylinder. Inside that cylinder there is a spring. When I shake the whole thing, the spring connects with the inside of the cylinder. This makes the electrical circuit closed and controls the LED's.

this is the LED set lit up. There is a lot of light coming from the LED. When inclosed into a small place, somewhere inside the Nerf, it would definatly light up this room. The lit up hotglue drops create the illusion of what looks like a lightning bolt. It's not exactly what an electric arc looks like, but it's good enough for show.

I've found a few places I could house the LED set. I've hatched the area that could go through and through. Meaning, those area's could house the LED. Or, as I've said before, the LED in a scope-like plunger aperatus on top of the gun.
GCCC
Zeppelin Admiral
United States United States

« Reply #28 on: October 06, 2014, 07:20:22 pm »

@George Salt:

I completely agree about that! Plus, a pistol that requires both hands to operate? That's why I got excited when I saw this:

There was a RPG game called SLA Industries (great game), in that there was a gun called FEN 091 FARJACKET. It was a pump action pistol firing 17mm rifle (cannon) rounds.

I think I've found a picture of it:

It's true though, a pump action handgun are rare. A quick google got me one. And that one looks like a sawed off shotgun. A handgun should be able to be operated with just one hand. Although, in the real world. But this is the Steampunk-realm. The alternative world we all imagine. Anything goes in our imagionation. The biggest issue is to make the gun "work". A backup story or a reason to hand pump this gun. The pump action being an alternator for the tesla-coil to wind up. The bullets are fired by an electrical charge. Making the lightning ballpoint LED more part of the story. The gun doesn't work without actuating the pump action (a.k.a. alternator), the electrical charge is stored (a.k.a. lightning ballpoint LED) until the trigger is pulled.

Something like that.
@George Salt:

I completely agree about that! Plus, a pistol that requires both hands to operate? That's why I got excited when I saw this:

There was a RPG game called SLA Industries (great game), in that there was a gun called FEN 091 FARJACKET. It was a pump action pistol firing 17mm rifle (cannon) rounds.

Agreed; if the pump action is there to perform a function other than cocking (priming the aetheric elements, seating a more powerful round, etc.) then it is acceptable. And in our various Steam worlds of the imagination, we are not limited in what they might be useful or preferred for. (And yes, I know I ended that sentence in a preposition...)

For me personally, however, I would need to carefully weigh the value of the additional firepower vs. the convenience of leaving one hand free (to hold the reins, operate the controls, wield an additional weapon, free/protect a victim, etc.). As with the bulk of all our speculative technology, it would of course come down to what serves the needs of the story.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: