The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
December 15, 2017, 06:46:28 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Request for Beta Readers  (Read 671 times)
V.S. Velde
Deck Hand
Canada Canada

bluecaldera
« on: August 31, 2014, 05:09:19 pm »

Hi all;

I've got a novel that I'm looking to put out as a self-published e-book this fall, and I'm hoping to get a few beta readers. I'm happy for any type of feedback: from general plot and character observations to anachronism-hunters. It's a 75K steampunk detective novel with a heavy gothic mood, some hard-boiled crime influence, and a strong female lead. My background is writing literary fiction novels, and a certain element of that may come through as well. Some dark sexual themes, but not particularly explicit. Send me a PM if you're interested, and I can send it to you as PDF, EPub, or Mobi (kindle) format. Many thanks!

Blue Caldera by V.S. Velde:

The Hudson Colony and Moromoto Prefecture face each other across a harbour, 6000 miles of open sea separating them from their respective empires. The archipelago has a reputation as a den of vice as much as an important commercial port. In the recesses of the Colony Complex, Ettie Thompson works the dull job of a codebreaker, envying the exciting work of her bureau's detectives. An intercepted note seems like an intriguing distraction when it leads her to a society of voyeurists. But when a controversial scientist is murdered, Ettie is drawn into the investigation from two sides: her bureau tells her to decipher the dead man’s notebook, and the society asks her to exonerate one of its own members of the crime. Finding the truth means will mean the darkest corners of the archipelago; finding justice will mean exploring her own dark past.

GCCC
Zeppelin Admiral
United States United States

« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2014, 03:21:50 pm »

I don't own any sort of e-reader (I'm a print-only prude), otherwise I'd volunteer. However, I wish you luck on your endeavor.

p.s. When you do publish, please let me know, so I can add your work to my list of Steampunk novels. I haven't posted the e-book list to the forum yet, but I'm getting pretty close.
The two lists posted so far (to give you an idea of what I'm doing):
http://brassgoggles.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,42449.0.html
http://brassgoggles.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,42803.0.html
V.S. Velde
Deck Hand
Canada Canada

bluecaldera
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2014, 10:16:41 pm »

Thanks, I'll definitely let you know when it's out there!

In regards to not having an e-reader, you (and anyone else so motivated) are welcome to take the PDF and print it off for reading, although I realize that at 245 pages that's pretty much a literal half-ream of paper. But I hope it's well-received and a physical book becomes an option at some point.

I did have a couple offers to beta read on PM, which is great. I'd love a couple more readers though.

There's a little bit about the story setting here:
http://www.thebluecaldera.com/news/2014/8/19/about-the-hudson-archipeligo

And my protagonist here:
http://www.thebluecaldera.com/news/2014/8/25/ettie-thompson-investigator
GCCC
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2014, 12:15:15 am »

Okay; I've put it on the e-published list (which hasn't been posted to the forum yet) until such time as it is available in print.

I'll have to get back to you on the beta-reader thing, however.
oldskoolpunk
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2014, 08:18:57 am »

Hi all;

I've got have a novel that I'm looking which I intend to put out as a self-published e-book this fall., and I'm hoping to get a few beta readers. I'm happy for any type of feedback: from general plot and character observations to anachronism-hunters. It's a 75K steampunk detective novel with a heavy Ggothic mood, some hard-boiled crime influence, and a strong female lead. My background is writing literary fiction novels, and a certain element of that may come through as well. Some dark sexual themes, but not particularly explicit. Send me a PM if you're interested, and I can send it to you as PDF, EPub, or Mobi (kindle) format. Many thanks!

Blue Caldera by V.S. Velde:

The Hudson Colony and Moromoto Prefecture face each other across a harbour, 6000 miles of open sea separating them from their respective empires. The archipelago has a reputation as a den of vice as much as an important commercial port. In the recesses of the Colony Complex, Ettie Thompson works the dull job of a codebreaker, envying the exciting work of her bureau's detectives. An intercepted note seems like becomes an intriguing distraction when it leads her to a society of voyeurists. But wWhen a controversial scientist is murdered, Ettie is drawn into the investigation from two sides: her bureau tells her to decipher the dead man’s notebook, and the society asks her to exonerate one of its own members of the crime. Finding the truth means will mean exploring the darkest corners of the archipelago; finding justice will mean exploring her own dark past.
This looks like a big editing job.
V.S. Velde
Deck Hand
Canada Canada

bluecaldera
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2014, 05:09:01 pm »

Is it really a problem that I talk in a more colloquial manner in my posts than I would in my fiction literature? I will endeavour to be more formal in the future.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: