The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
December 16, 2017, 05:45:33 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 ... 66   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Persona names  (Read 139529 times)
Victoria The Mistress
Snr. Officer
United Kingdom United Kingdom

« Reply #200 on: September 10, 2008, 09:52:21 pm »

As my given name is Victoria, named for the Old Queen, whom I closely resembled as an infant  Undecided and as I am now a grown up, I decided I had grown into Victoria, and it seemed appropriate to test it out here, given the age with which we are fascinated and amused.....

The Mistress was supposed to carry on to include "Of Charlton Grange" but there wasn't enough room - and I do hope nobody thought I was having any kind of dom moment..... at least, not intentionally, probably more a subconscious thing!

Charlton Grange is the dolls house my Papa made for me when I was 14, and which lives on top of the shelving unit in my sitting room. If I ever win the lottery, I'm going to have it built in real life!

I am dabbling with the biography of Victoria The Mistress, who comes into her own when her Father mysteriously dissappears in the South American Rain Forests while trying to save the world, but who is hampered by being under 21 and under the control of her Aunt and Uncle - obviously she must escape from their constricts and get to the rain forest.......with the help of her cousin Sebastian and the half Romany coach driver Angelo.......

Elsewhere on the web I am toxic_kitten. As is my email address. Makes the more stright laced people I deeal with in Am Dram sit up and take notice when we swap addies though Grin
Marrock
« Reply #201 on: September 10, 2008, 09:56:07 pm »

I used to know an old queen... but his name was John.

Every time I saw him he'd ask me if I still preferred women and would look so disappointed when I said yes.
von Corax
Squire of the Lambda Calculus
Board Moderator
Immortal
Canada Canada

Prof. Darwin Prætorius von Corax

« Reply #202 on: September 11, 2008, 03:30:20 am »

I used to know an old queen... but his name was John.

Every time I saw him he'd ask me if I still preferred women and would look so disappointed when I said yes.

Clearly one of the Stately Homos...

By the power of caffeine do I set my mind in motion
By the Beans of Life do my thoughts acquire speed
My hands acquire a shaking
The shaking becomes a warning
By the power of caffeine do I set my mind in motion
The Leverkusen Institute of Paleocybernetics is 5838 km from Reading
Difference Engineer
Snr. Officer
United States United States

Not steampunk, but an incredible soy substitute.

« Reply #203 on: October 29, 2008, 08:07:56 pm »

I had originally created a B-G- account using my given name, but for reasons unknown to me I have never been able to log into it, so I gave up and created a different one.  At the time I was re-reading Gibson and Sterling's The Difference Engine - not my favorite novel, to be honest.  Then I started thinking.. I work with computers professionally, which would have meant that I worked with difference engines, had I been a character in said novel.  From there, 'Difference Engineer' came to me as a username, though it actually fits better as a title.

"You look like you're about to jump in your gyrocopter or something."
--Anonymous coworker
Bunnie
Deck Hand

« Reply #204 on: October 30, 2008, 05:42:04 am »

In high school they went around asking the question for the yearbook "what do you want to be when you grow up?" Being the sarcastic one that I am, I said "A stripper by the name of Bunnie Presley". The Bunnie part stuck.

I believe in everything until it's disproved.  So I believe in fairies, the myths, dragons.  It all exists, even if it's in your mind.  Who's to say that dreams and nightmares aren't as real as the here and now?  ~John Lennon
Sneath
Officer

Mailler In Disquise >_>

« Reply #205 on: October 30, 2008, 07:17:23 am »

There's a main street in my neighborhood called Sneath Lane.
it works great as a screen name, but locals who I tell my name or give my email to question "why that, that's stupid"
i think street names are a great place to get names.
Mr Clockwork
Deck Hand
Australia Australia

« Reply #206 on: October 30, 2008, 07:37:11 am »

Grin I like the story behind Bunnie.

Sneath is a pretty good street name I think, and well used as your own.

Mine holds a little bit of a story I guess. Mr Clockwork, the simple reason: I tick.

In June this year I underwent major heart surgery, in which 80% of my aorta was replaced with synthetic material and the aortic valve was replaced by an artificial one, which is made of metal. The best way to describe it I suppose is to get a picture:

Bileaflet valve

It can kind of be seen that there are two moveable parts of the valve that are like semi circles, these are slightly bigger than the circumferance of the valve circle, so they don't close flush with the valve (otherwise there would be some problems Tongue). Now seeing as the heart is quite a strong muscle it has an amount of force, and when this valves parts come in contact with each other it's hard enough that an audible click or tick is heard from out of the body (I've found that at times it can even be heard from across rooms).

And thus is the story of my username that I've been using in different places since then.
Haizea
Snr. Officer

« Reply #207 on: October 30, 2008, 05:32:53 pm »

Haizea means 'wind' in Basque. I'm not Basque myself, but I just love the name. And I love the wind too, obviously, like when it breezes through that long grass you see on the side of the motorway...ooh, lovely.
It seems the littlest of things always hold the greatest fascination for me. I'm odd, I know. Grin

Sealed with the kiss of swine,
The heavy fort falls to the flame,
Bone-rattled melodies and worm-laden rains.
Dr_Weippert
Deck Hand

« Reply #208 on: October 30, 2008, 08:05:41 pm »

Dr... because i am.

Weippert.. a family name of mine which died out in the last generation and it distresses me greatly - i might claim it back by depoll since there are no more in the UK any more.

and my steampunk first name would be/is Nell after my great aunt who was a fabuously creative and bonkers lady

so.. there you go...

Dr Nell Weippert

'why' you ask dear boy? Simply because I CAN!
Matthias Gladstone
Zeppelin Admiral

Call me Ishmael

« Reply #209 on: October 31, 2008, 05:28:13 pm »

Matthias as my first name is Matt.... Gladstone as it's a good, woody, Victorian sounding name.
I use mikoyan99 on other parts of the interwebs.
I was karl heinz on spare goggles, after this:

(listen to what elrond sais)
-Matt

Southampton University Steampunk Society:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/184948814914233/
Prof. Alastor Hellstromme
Deck Hand
Chile Chile

« Reply #210 on: October 31, 2008, 06:31:58 pm »

Profesor: a title i always like it...shows knowledge in diferent things from Art to ..Ocult meassures.
Alastor: Alastor was the name of the greek god of vengeace, its also the name of Alister Crowley and its also the name of a Fallen Angel.
Hellstromme: was the name of a character from a steampunk game called Deadlands and also i like the way that it sounds
E.A. Claringbold
Snr. Officer

« Reply #211 on: October 31, 2008, 07:19:58 pm »

Well- I don;t have a name-name yet...But one of these day's it'll have the title Doctor in front of it (The day I become a real doctor of medicine). Until then- it'll just be a name or Scholar in front.

Username....uuuuh- well, maudlin is an adjective- i hear it as insencere. Which it might fit in ways, but dictionaries online (two sources) both say: 1. tearfully or weakly emotional; foolishly sentimental & 2. foolishly or mawkishly sentimental because of drunkenness. 

and doll-...who doesn't know what a doll is or can mean?

Well there you go- that's the meaning of my username. Not much fun.
theMadTinker
Snr. Officer

Why do they always obfuscate the screws?

« Reply #212 on: October 31, 2008, 09:46:44 pm »

"The" is the definite article, common to many languages, although absent from Russian.  "Mad" is a reference to the Mad Hatter--I wear a top hat almost all the time, and have the obligatory "In this style: 10/6" card in the band.  "Tinker" is a reference to my first love, tinkering with stuff in my father's workshop; a hobby that continues to this day.

It's not a skirt, it's a kilt; and ye ken why it's called a kilt?  Because I kilt everyone who called it a skirt.

You won't get far trying to argue semantics with an English major.

The Urban Phantasy Blog
Cortigiana Onesta
Officer
Japan Japan

Steampunk Courtesan

« Reply #213 on: November 01, 2008, 02:34:50 am »

Cortigiana Onesta is Italian for "honest courtesan", a type of courtesan that even the Catholic church extolled the virtues of. I have a deep interest in courtesans throughout the ages and world. I also work with geisha and tayu (tayu being Japanese courtesans) in present day real life, which is fun. Smiley

My real/birth name is Mazikeen, but everyone calls me Mazi.

Kallikrates
Deck Hand
Ireland, Republic of Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #214 on: November 01, 2008, 03:12:16 am »

The character from Haggard's "She" - apparently it's ancient Greek and translates as "handsome and strong".

I really liked the name, and I'm somewhat a Haggard fan, so I adopted the name as one of my identities.
MhicWombat
Officer

« Reply #215 on: November 01, 2008, 03:30:55 am »

Hmmm ... where to start...

I like the word "wombat".  It is simply fun to say.  Wombat.  Smiley  I know people who have interacted with the little fellows on a more-or-less regular basis who are more ambivalent towards them, but, living in the States, I only know of them second hand.

The "Mhic" part relates to an early way that my ancestors wrote out the familial name -- MacDonald, or on one of the earlier documents "MhicDomuil". 

So consider this a portmanteau word, in the Dumptian sense  Cheesy

Jack, you've debauched my sloth!
Kevin1632
Snr. Officer

Steam breakfast of Champions

« Reply #216 on: November 01, 2008, 08:45:22 am »

Lately,
I have been feeling prosaic, thus just my name.
Finding that my name is all too common, I added 1632, the magazine of which has been gracefull enough to publish my work.

Regards,
Kevin

Marrock
« Reply #217 on: November 01, 2008, 03:36:20 pm »

I like the word "wombat".  It is simply fun to say.  Wombat.  Smiley  I know people who have interacted with the little fellows on a more-or-less regular basis who are more ambivalent towards them, but, living in the States, I only know of them second hand.

In that case you should go check out Digger, it's a fun read about a wombat whose name is short for "Digger of Unnecessarily Convoluted Tunnels" and how she winds up rather far from home and having to deal with talking statues, nearly dead gods, flying mice, and oracular slugs... and then things get weird.
Kor Greenfield
Gunner

The Clockwork Alchemist

« Reply #218 on: November 01, 2008, 10:08:46 pm »

Why, it's my name, after all. At least my Steampunk name. I am Korbin "Kor" Greenfield.

Normal is something we've invented to keep out the demons and Gods and magic and monsters that live just on the other side of the "normal' world we've built for ourselves.
helios
Zeppelin Overlord
New Zealand New Zealand

Probably not Death, the Destroyer of Worlds

eliasvonhelios
« Reply #219 on: November 02, 2008, 04:10:20 am »

Helios-Greek God of the Sun. That's about it, I think. It is? Ah, good.

In smoggiest day, in sooted night
no ignorance shall escape my sight.
Let those who worship ignorance's might,
beware my power... Brass Goggles light!
Owen_Stagg
« Reply #220 on: November 02, 2008, 06:46:22 am »

Owen Stagg is what I got when I popped my real name into the BG SP NG! (Brass Goggles SteamPunk Name Generator, doncha know)

It came attached to a "Doctor", but I dropped that bit when I started writing a short story for a class about a character who was a tinkerer, and lacked a doctorate degree. I grew inordinately attached to the name, and would probably answer to it if someone decided to use it instead of my actual name.

Eventually, I plan to write a SteamPunk novella of some sort written in the style of a memoir by a certain Doctor Owen Stagg, although I don't have enough ability to write it just yet. All I know about it for certain is that it will involve numerous high-jinks, as well as a spirited lady by the name of Julia Moss.
Dr. Munro
Officer

« Reply #221 on: November 02, 2008, 11:16:44 am »

Well, my name simply comes from the fact that I am hoping to complete a doctorate in International Relations.  The Munro part.  Well, that's a little more complicated I guess...

The year was 1980.  My mother had 2 children and was pregnant with her third.  This 3rd child however did not have the same father as her previous two and was fathered by her new partner having recently divorced her husband.  In order that this child be brought up into a married family my mother and her new partner tied the knot.  In order that the family as a whole all used the same surname so as to avoid awkward questions by the youngsters my father changed his surname from Munro to Carney (my mothers surname gained from her previous marriage).  So the years rolled by until in 1988 I was born.  I too was granted the name of Carney.  As I grew older though I realised that this name has no real ties to me (it was afterall the name of my mothers ex-husband) and so I grew rather fond of the name Munro.  I'm very proud both of the name and it's strong scottish heritage and of my father for the rather selfless act he performed when he abandoned it.  I like to use it though to remind dad that it won't be forgotten.
Dom
« Reply #222 on: November 04, 2008, 02:35:38 pm »

It's my first name.
Miss Genevieve Gale
Snr. Officer

« Reply #223 on: November 04, 2008, 03:26:49 pm »

Nothing too clever here. Gale was my dear grandfather's first name and his mother's maiden name. I briefly considered using her name, Edith Gale, but didn't really care for the Edith part. I googled popular Victorian names and found Genevieve. Genevieve Gale just sounded right to me plus I thought G.G (Gigi) made a good nickname. And, though I am married, I went with the Miss because the persona I had in mind would not have been married.

G.G.

DK Gibson
Gunner

« Reply #224 on: November 05, 2008, 09:06:01 am »

DK Gibson was the name I went by as a child playing in my father's workshop. It seemed to fit for posting in the forum.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 ... 66   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: