The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
November 24, 2017, 12:09:45 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Support BrassGoggles! Donate once or $3/mo.
 See details here.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 [66]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Persona names  (Read 138741 times)
Fairley B. Strange
Zeppelin Overlord
Australia Australia

Relax, I've done much dumber things and survived..

« Reply #1625 on: October 25, 2016, 09:25:38 pm »

Or if you are in any way mildly scandinavian, perhaps "Leif"?

Choose a code to live by, die by it if you have to.
xX_Lee1987_Xx
Deck Hand
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Connoisseur Of Tea's

« Reply #1626 on: October 26, 2016, 01:27:18 am »

The names sound pretty good, perhaps being called Gentleman or Sir or perhaps Earl as a title might make me sound more gentlemanly or perhaps putting after Brewer of tea's as a joke or hint of my last name or profession hehe.

On a side note i've ordered pretty much most of my outfit now, just missing a Tophat of somekind and some shoes / trousers (apparently they arrive in december so im sure i can use suit pants if they're acceptable in the mean time for my first steampunk convivial?)

Terrence Brewer
Thaddeus Brewer
Theodore Brewer
Thomas, Brewer
Timothy Brewer
Tiberius Brewer
Tyrone Brewer

“History will be kind to me for I intend to write it.” - Winston Churchill Quotation
Cora Courcelle
Snr. Officer
England England

« Reply #1627 on: October 27, 2016, 06:37:02 pm »

On a side note i've ordered pretty much most of my outfit now, just missing a Tophat of somekind

'Village Hats' do quite reasonably priced top hats and you can then add your own touches to them  How about some vintage tea strainers in the hat band?

(sorry, no web address but a google search should find them)

You have to tread a fine line between avant-garde surrealism and getting yourself sectioned...
xX_Lee1987_Xx
Deck Hand

Connoisseur Of Tea's

« Reply #1628 on: October 27, 2016, 11:24:50 pm »

I have found the website and see what you mean about the prices being pretty reasonable, i do however have some good news, is that i've managed to get my brocade/black military style tail-coat and maroon cravat, and just waiting for my shirt & Watch and cane to arrive, just a quick question, regarding leg-wear such as trousers/pants (not underpants) are normal Black suit trousers or chinos okay regarding a steampunk "gentleman" look, this is until i get my steampunk trousers which i ordered from china (don't know why they cannot send them now) apparently i have to wait till 21st of December or 1st/2nd of January next year, if you know of any Alternatives that i could purchase that would be grateful.

Also to get back ontop i have listed some names below which could be decent names for my persona!.

Titles

Lord
Sir
Earl
Master
Mr
Gentleman
Count
Baron

First Names

Arthur
Tobias
Thaddeus
Thomas
Edward
Barnaby
Cornelius
Vincent
Alastair

Last Names

Riverty/Rivety (Like rivets in construction)
Kentsington (snobbish name of my last name with sington on the end)
Kensington
Ponsonby
Brewer (another word for Tea)
Cunningham
Kirkland
Kingsley
Buckingham

These are the names i've come up so far, so i'm probably going to muddle them around and see which sound snobbish or so.
Cora Courcelle
Snr. Officer
England England

« Reply #1629 on: October 28, 2016, 07:33:36 pm »

My husband wears dress trousers with his tailcoat; they have a ribbon stripe down the outside seam and look very smart. 
He got them in Matalan. They were £10-£12, can't remember precisely but certainly not expensive.
Chinos might be ok if you were a workman or perhaps an intrepid explorer but I'm not sure how they'd look with brocade.
annevpreussen
Gunner
United States United States

Captain Annemarie of the Eagle's Arrow Airship

« Reply #1630 on: October 28, 2016, 09:44:39 pm »

These are the names i've come up so far, so i'm probably going to muddle them around and see which sound snobbish or so.

Ooh, it's so fun building a steampunk persona, isn't it? I really like all the names you're thinking about, especially the ones with meaning behind them!

Here are some random combinations that sound good in my head... I'd love to hear your final persona name!!

Lord Vincent Riverty, Sir Edward Kentsington, Mr. Thomas A. Brewer, Lord Cornelius Kingsley, Mr. Miles Brewer (I know Miles isn't on your list but tbh I just like the name), Lord Barnaby Kirkland, Earl of ____ ... really, you have a lot of great names so far!

Or, if you're looking for more names, there's a Hidden Steampunk Name thread:
here
!

Good luck with finding one that suits you Smiley

EDIT: and, since I just found your other thread, I think the others on there had some really good ideas! I personally am a big fan of using good ol' Google Translate for a lot of character names, along with name meaning sites and a quick "common (country/region) names" search. I'd say think about where you want your character to be from and work that into it!
« Last Edit: October 28, 2016, 10:06:32 pm by annevpreussen » Logged

I wear goggles so you can't see when I'm staring at you.
xX_Lee1987_Xx
Deck Hand

Connoisseur Of Tea's

« Reply #1631 on: October 29, 2016, 02:27:29 am »

Lord Vincent Riverty,
Sir Edward Kentsington
Mr. Thomas A. Brewer,
Lord Cornelius Kingsley
Mr. Miles Brewer

I like these names you came up with!, although whilst i was out earlier, i asked my mum what sort of title i am, she said i'm more of a "sir" than an earl of some kind so perhaps Sir Vicent Riverty or sir Cornelius Kingsley, but not sure about Miles Brewer or Thomas A Brewer...if i were a Brewer (last name) it'd have to be tea-referenced somehow! only male sounding tea name is Earl Grey and im sure someone somewhere is called that in the steampunk community, if not then i guess i could take that Tongue
annevpreussen
Gunner

« Reply #1632 on: October 31, 2016, 03:01:04 pm »

I like these names you came up with!, although whilst i was out earlier, i asked my mum what sort of title i am, she said i'm more of a "sir" than an earl of some kind so perhaps Sir Vicent Riverty or sir Cornelius Kingsley, but not sure about Miles Brewer or Thomas A Brewer...if i were a Brewer (last name) it'd have to be tea-referenced somehow! only male sounding tea name is Earl Grey and im sure someone somewhere is called that in the steampunk community, if not then i guess i could take that Tongue

I'd suggest trying to come up with a background for your persona if you want to give him a title! Decide where he comes from and research that place's peerage system so you can decide what you want him to be/what he would be called. For example, my persona comes from a Germanic state and is the unmarried daughter of the German equivalent of a low-ranking baron, so she would be addressed as Freiin von Preussen (eventually she gave up her title but whatever).

Let the personality and backstory of your character help influence his name.
Caledonian
Zeppelin Admiral
Netherlands Netherlands

the dragon's called Salmacis

« Reply #1633 on: October 31, 2016, 07:49:50 pm »

I'd suggest trying to come up with a background for your persona if you want to give him a title! Decide where he comes from and research that place's peerage system so you can decide what you want him to be/what he would be called. For example, my persona comes from a Germanic state and is the unmarried daughter of the German equivalent of a low-ranking baron, so she would be addressed as Freiin von Preussen (eventually she gave up her title but whatever).

Let the personality and backstory of your character help influence his name.

Or, you know, buy a square feet of Scottish land and become a Laird of Glencoe....

"Crazy pseudo-scot living in a fantasy world"
annevpreussen
Gunner

« Reply #1634 on: November 01, 2016, 10:40:45 pm »

Or, you know, buy a square feet of Scottish land and become a Laird of Glencoe....

Oh yeah, that's something people can actually do! It'd be so cool to be an official member of the landed gentry...
Sir Henry
Zeppelin Captain

Poking the i's and drinking the t's

« Reply #1635 on: November 15, 2016, 10:08:03 am »

Sitting on the bus yesterday, the name Willoughby Gibbett popped into my noggin and now won't go away. I really like the combination of whimsical and gothic it evokes, along with its echoes of 'flibbertigibbet'. While Wikipedia says "Flibbertigibbet is a Middle English word referring to a flighty or whimsical person, usually a young woman. In modern use, it is used as a slang term, especially in Yorkshire, for a gossipy or overly talkative person", as Shakespeare's "foul fiend Flibbertigibbet" she was the demon who caused miscarriages and stillbirths. So equally whimsical and gruesome.

I can't think of a use for the name, so if anyone is looking for a name with those associations, it's all yours.  Smiley

Cry "Have at!" and let's lick the togs of Waugh!
Arsed not for whom the bell tolls, it tolls for tea.
Caledonian
Zeppelin Admiral
Netherlands Netherlands

the dragon's called Salmacis

« Reply #1636 on: November 15, 2016, 02:03:59 pm »

Oh yeah, that's something people can actually do! It'd be so cool to be an official member of the landed gentry...

my stepdad got the title with a bottle of whiskey. (really!)
Hez
Zeppelin Captain
Canada Canada

aka Miss Primrose C Leigh

« Reply #1637 on: November 22, 2016, 04:03:30 pm »

.if i were a Brewer (last name) it'd have to be tea-referenced somehow! only male sounding tea name is Earl Grey and im sure someone somewhere is called that in the steampunk community, if not then i guess i could take that Tongue

You might want to consider that Earl Grey is the current title of a living person although I have no idea if he is part of the steampunk community.
bicyclebuilder
Zeppelin Overlord
Netherlands Netherlands

A.K.A. Scanner Camera Builder

« Reply #1638 on: November 27, 2016, 08:07:35 pm »

I'm working on a Steampunk photographer character, both as a physical (attire and props) character as a background story.
This helps to make the character come alive. And it prevents me to slab every Steampunk looking item together.

I've got: An upperclass gentleman that likes travelling and photography. He has been (according to himself) all over the world, looking for the perfect photographic opportunity. He speaks 3 languages but bluffs his way into many languages. According to himself, he's born Dutch, but is related to German, French and English aristocracy. Even though he's always boasting, he's a nice gentleman at hart.

So for his name I'm looking for something that connects to his alledged connections. Something witty as in "keeping up appearances", the Bouquet/Bucket name.
Right now, I've got: Heer Stef-Hendrik Pauxbelle, Von Feigenlöwe, Prow-Longwaters.

Heer is a Dutch title. As in Lord or Master.

My first name is Steven. Stef is short for Steven, Hendrik is added to bring more flair.

Pauxbelle
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
, Von Feigenlöwe
Prow-Longwaters

So to introduce myself I would say: Heer Stef-Hendrik Pauxbelle with an x, Feigenlöwe with an n, Prow-Longwaters.

The best way to learn is by personal experience.
Sir Henry
Zeppelin Captain

Poking the i's and drinking the t's

« Reply #1639 on: November 30, 2016, 03:27:43 pm »

Pauxbelle
, Von Feigenlöwe
Prow-Longwaters
Umm... you may want to google the anglicised version of that. Beware, it is very nsfw and so you may/may not want to keep it.
Kensington Locke
Officer

« Reply #1640 on: November 30, 2016, 03:59:53 pm »

.if i were a Brewer (last name) it'd have to be tea-referenced somehow! only male sounding tea name is Earl Grey and im sure someone somewhere is called that in the steampunk community, if not then i guess i could take that Tongue

You might want to consider that Earl Grey is the current title of a living person although I have no idea if he is part of the steampunk community.

That's a good point.  I'm reminded of the thread on wearing military honors (unearned in particular).  I know taking on a fictitious title for a fictitious character is often part and parcel for steampunk.  Is that actually legit in the lands where titles exist?

I suspect it might be bad or risky form to take on an real title, particularly one that's fairly well known as it's less accidental.
bicyclebuilder
Zeppelin Overlord
Netherlands Netherlands

A.K.A. Scanner Camera Builder

« Reply #1641 on: November 30, 2016, 07:46:42 pm »

Pauxbelle
, Von Feigenlöwe
Prow-Longwaters
Umm... you may want to google the anglicised version of that. Beware, it is very nsfw and so you may/may not want to keep it.

I haven't heard of that version before, and I'm very good at it. The English language, I mean.  Lips sealed
So no Poubelle or Paux Belle.

Persona names is a bit like picking an offspring name. Check all languages to make sure said name is not similar to any foul language, in any language. Cheesy
von Corax
Squire of the Lambda Calculus
Board Moderator
Immortal
Canada Canada

Prof. Darwin Prætorius von Corax

« Reply #1642 on: November 30, 2016, 07:55:19 pm »

Persona names is a bit like picking an offspring name. Check all languages to make sure said name is not similar to any foul language, in any language. Cheesy
... And after learning that "Bob" is a deadly insult in no fewer than 93 different languages, you give up and call the kid, "Hey, you!" Tongue

I think
is probably obscure/culturally-specific enough that you won't likely have a problem with it.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2016, 07:57:41 pm by von Corax » Logged

By the power of caffeine do I set my mind in motion
By the Beans of Life do my thoughts acquire speed
My hands acquire a shaking
The shaking becomes a warning
By the power of caffeine do I set my mind in motion
The Leverkusen Institute of Paleocybernetics is 5838 km from Reading
RoburtheConqueror1975
Deck Hand

« Reply #1643 on: January 19, 2017, 08:47:28 am »

In  1975,  Famous  Classic Tales  did  'Master  of the  World'  Set  in  1910,  I  consider  it  the  best  portrayal of the  Jules Verne  novel  yet.

John_R_Isadore
Swab

« Reply #1644 on: April 10, 2017, 02:43:59 am »

I'm a big fan of Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep. John R. Isadore is a character from it. John is an empathetic man with a love of all things living. He is a squatter in an apartment building. For a living he drives a delivery van for a service that repairs android animals. The fallout from World War Terminus eroded his genes over the years to make him semi-retarded, just enough so that he couldn't immigrate to Mars with the rest of the healthy people. I kind of admire John, and for that I take his name onto the internet.
madamemarigold
Gunner

« Reply #1645 on: July 06, 2017, 07:38:20 pm »

I have had a few names all over the internet since it began! The main ones are ; Kmartin60, Smoking Cougar, Madame Marigold (now) but my steam punk persona was given to me by Mistress Nephele here on "Brass Goggles" some time back:
 "Annie N. Skyborne" The oldest surviving daughter of a landed, English gentry clan navigating the new world of courting, politics, keeping the last of the family and its holdings from being stolen/stripped away by pirates of many sorts and means, the senile patriarch alive (and tethered from getting lost!) while seeking out love, new lands, rich's and adventures in the process! ( Wink )
annevpreussen
Gunner

« Reply #1646 on: July 08, 2017, 03:59:04 am »

I have had a few names all over the internet since it began! The main ones are ; Kmartin60, Smoking Cougar, Madame Marigold (now) but my steam punk persona was given to me by Mistress Nephele here on "Brass Goggles" some time back:
 "Annie N. Skyborne" The oldest surviving daughter of a landed, English gentry clan navigating the new world of courting, politics, keeping the last of the family and its holdings from being stolen/stripped away by pirates of many sorts and means, the senile patriarch alive (and tethered from getting lost!) while seeking out love, new lands, rich's and adventures in the process! ( Wink )
It's nice to meet another Annie on here! Is it just me, or are all the steampunk ladies named Annie destined to get into trouble?  Grin Ms./Captian/Lady/Madame (halp, idk what title to use!) Skybourne sounds very interesting indeed  Cheesy
Pages: 1 ... 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 [66]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: