The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
October 21, 2017, 06:45:12 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Support BrassGoggles! Donate once or $3/mo.
 See details here.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 [64] 65 66   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Persona names  (Read 137762 times)
Thalesia Turnblood
Snr. Officer
United States United States

One bathtub scene, coming right up!

« Reply #1575 on: July 27, 2014, 03:03:29 pm »

I can't remember if I replied to this already, but Thalesia Turnblood is the name of the heroine in the Steampunk romance I'm planning -well, the first of three in a series. A well-bred, intelligent, and daring woman, the daughter of a mad scientist, who carries a heavy secret.

Reality is messing with my fiction.
Have Coffee, Will Write
IvyGrey
Deck Hand

« Reply #1576 on: July 30, 2014, 05:27:29 pm »

The why of it: I teach and perform bellydance and bhangra, have done for years. I was married to a fellow with a rather important governmental job requiring some discretion and my seeming to be a civilized sort. It used to be that "bellydance" was considered inappropriate and morally akin to stripping, prostitution and tax evasion. (Not that I have an issue with any of those things, myself.) Therefore, I used a pseudonym for my more creative pursuits. No longer married, I have continued using this name, as so many years have gone by, all my contacts recognize me as Ivy Grey, and not that other woman. Why Ivy? Many years ago I was involved in an experimental dance ensemble project, and within that project they called me Poison Ivy. The Batman films made that an awkward thing, so I dropped the Poison and added a surname, which is based entirely on my tea preference.
LadyClockwork
Deck Hand
England England

Shut up! I'm trying to stir my coffee!

« Reply #1577 on: August 18, 2014, 09:30:02 am »

My Steampunk persona name is 'Foggy Pearson' which just came to me one day. I liked the name, but I didn't know what to do with it, so I decided to create a character behind it, and hence Foggy Pearson was born.
The name 'LadyClockwork' was originally 'Lord Clockwork' a name I gave to a teddy bear I made. I thought the name was a bit steamy, and a bit cheesy, so used the feminine version. Smiley
The why of it: I teach and perform bellydance and bhangra, have done for years. I was married to a fellow with a rather important governmental job requiring some discretion and my seeming to be a civilized sort. It used to be that "bellydance" was considered inappropriate and morally akin to stripping, prostitution and tax evasion. (Not that I have an issue with any of those things, myself.) Therefore, I used a pseudonym for my more creative pursuits. No longer married, I have continued using this name, as so many years have gone by, all my contacts recognize me as Ivy Grey, and not that other woman. Why Ivy? Many years ago I was involved in an experimental dance ensemble project, and within that project they called me Poison Ivy. The Batman films made that an awkward thing, so I dropped the Poison and added a surname, which is based entirely on my tea preference.

'It is a cliche that most cliches are true, but then like most cliches, that cliche is untrue.' -Stephen Fry
LadyClockwork
Deck Hand
England England

Shut up! I'm trying to stir my coffee!

« Reply #1578 on: August 18, 2014, 09:37:03 am »

Sorry for posting awkwardly; I'm new here, and just getting used to the format. Grin Cheesy
Sir_Dellington
Swab

« Reply #1579 on: August 27, 2014, 09:08:13 am »

Sir - is just so Victorian and fitting to the whole SteamPunk community and Dellington was first created from my monitor. Yes I know it's cheesy. But Sir Dellington sounds much better and appropriate  Grin
poisonpearl
Deck Hand
England England

Ablutions expert....part time poisoner

strangebrewsoap
« Reply #1580 on: October 28, 2014, 02:07:03 pm »

I wanted to invent a character, a character with an entire history, and with that history I wanted her to have a dark legacy, the type of person that nursery rhymes were written about.

At the time of gaining an interest in Steampunk, I was reading  We Have Always Lived in the Castle http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/We_Have_Always_Lived_in_the_Castle And also had just discovered the wonders of Alnwick Poison Garden http://www.alnwickgarden.com/explore/whats-here/the-poison-garden

I tried to imagine her as someone Holmes would investigate, with occult undercurrents and circus connections. And so Madame Pearl aka Poison Pearl was born

One day I will write her entire story, hopefully you will all enjoy it  Smiley

It is by no means an irrational fancy that, in a future existence, we shall look upon what we think our present existence, as a dream.
tessa
Deck Hand
Egypt Egypt

« Reply #1581 on: October 31, 2014, 09:44:03 pm »

My initials are T.E.S. and from there I got the name Tessa, which I love more than my own name, and so I started using it around the internet.
Artemisia Caine
Deck Hand

« Reply #1582 on: November 01, 2014, 08:37:12 pm »

I'm an avid drinker of absinthe-- the genus name for wormwood is Artemisia Absinthium.

Caine came from my love of Warhammer 40,000 and the character therein named Ciaphas Cain.

Artemis is also a member of my personal pantheon, so I only thought it permissible to include Her in my namesake.
Mr. Eldritch
Deck Hand
United Kingdom United Kingdom

« Reply #1583 on: November 06, 2014, 08:49:32 pm »

Mr. Eldritch was born about 3 years ago in an attempt to sound mysterious, combined with an appreciation for the aesthetic of the word 'eldritch'. I later realised that it didn't really sound mysterious at all and instead made me sound like a ill-concieved, low-budget supervillain, but by that time I'd grown too attached to leave it behind, so now everyone else has to suffer for it.
Richard Hoover
Deck Hand
Canada Canada

« Reply #1584 on: December 15, 2014, 10:11:54 pm »

Richard Hoover came about by very cleverly taking my first name and placing it in front of my last.

In the past, online I've gone by the handle Sabacc--a reference to a card game in the Star Wars expanded universe showing both my interest in games (of any sort) and fantasy and science fiction in general and Star Wars in particular.

As I'm now working on a career producing my own creative works though, and am directing people to my website and social media spots, it seemed like there wasn't much point in using an alias.  TMI I'm sure.

My novel Satin and Sutherland: The Golden Curse is available now!  Check out my website www.sealeftstudios.com for a sample, trailers, and more.
Maxwell Grantly
Deck Hand

Author and Illustrator

@MaxwellGrantly
« Reply #1585 on: December 28, 2014, 05:13:23 pm »

Maxwell Grantly is my non de plume. I am a mathematics teacher in "real life" and I also like to write short stories for recreation. I use the name "Maxwell Grantly" as my pen name when I write. I fear my students would slaughter me if I ever corrected any of their grammatical errors after they discovered how "bad" my true story writing was!

Argus McJohnsten
Gunner

Gravatar

Still learning.

rovingtriker
« Reply #1586 on: February 26, 2015, 04:50:20 am »

Thanks to the hidden steampunk name anagram thread. I only had a couple posts, so I deleted my old account and started this one.

Find out what you cannot do, and then, go out and do it.
CloudWolf
Officer

airship pirate

« Reply #1587 on: April 06, 2015, 11:45:14 am »

my steamsona is joshua natsworthy. my first name combined with the last of a hero in a steampunk series, i chose his surname because he was (literally) thrown into the dirt but despite this he got back up and he's a fighter, i have cerebral palsy and brain damage i fight it daily so it seemed appropriate, he got up from the dirt, i played with a bad hand (cerebral palsy pun intended).
My username is the name of the fearsome sky pirate captain from the edge chronicles otherwise known as Quintinius Verginax.

Someone ever tries to kill you, you try to kill 'em right back.
lioneldebraque
Swab

Know the unknown. Time flies.

@thelifeposter
« Reply #1588 on: April 09, 2015, 02:25:15 am »

Lionel Debraque? Well, I write... a lot... so I am always thinking up new characters. I have a document on my computer full of characters of various backgrounds and stuff, but the name Lionel Debraque stood out to me, so I decided to not use it in my writing but use it as a pseudonym, then I found the amazing world of Steampunk, which I never knew of until I stumbled upon it on the internet. I found that everything that people love in Steampunk is what I have loved and been fascinated by my whole life... so I got into Steampunk fashion etc. then took the name Lionel Debraque as my Steampunk name! End of story!

"We feel free when we escape, even if but from the frying pan, into the fire"
- Eric Hoffer
Lady Lilliann
Deck Hand
Austria Austria

« Reply #1589 on: April 09, 2015, 07:40:38 pm »

My actual name is Lisa, but I've always prefered the name Lilly and since it matches better to the steampunk genre - Lilliann it is! I have many ideas for many personas, but this one is very special to me because she is sharing a lot of characteristics with me. She is like the little girl in my heart who is still dreaming of travelling, adventures and believes in the good in every being - while the other me is studying and worrying about all kinds of things. So this part of me is very important to me, it's a small safe place I can go even if I had nothing else on the world.

Fantasy mirrors desire. Imagination reshapes it.   Mason Cooley
Major Vincent Smith
Eccentric Gentleman
Board Moderator
Snr. Officer

Vampyre Lord of the Twilight Overlord of Hellfire

jacknife98
« Reply #1590 on: April 09, 2015, 10:41:21 pm »

I'm another victim of a name generator I'm afraid, naturally on the Military setting.

Spammers Flattened: 52
"Not on my watch!"
Fairley B. Strange
Zeppelin Overlord
Australia Australia

Relax, I've done much dumber things and survived..

« Reply #1591 on: April 13, 2015, 10:53:37 am »

I'm another victim of a name generator I'm afraid, naturally on the Military setting.

Oh, with a name like that, I'd have assumed you were a significant manufacturer of classic motorcycles...  Grin

Richard Thompson - 1952 Vincent Black Lightning

Choose a code to live by, die by it if you have to.
Major Vincent Smith
Eccentric Gentleman
Board Moderator
Snr. Officer

Vampyre Lord of the Twilight Overlord of Hellfire

jacknife98
« Reply #1592 on: April 13, 2015, 03:32:46 pm »

Damn, you have discovered my side business!  Tongue
Argus McJohnsten
Gunner

Gravatar

Still learning.

rovingtriker
« Reply #1593 on: April 14, 2015, 05:39:18 am »

Oh, with a name like that, I'd have assumed you were a significant manufacturer of classic motorcycles...  Grin
You're not the only one who thought that.  Smiley
Fairley B. Strange
Zeppelin Overlord
Australia Australia

Relax, I've done much dumber things and survived..

« Reply #1594 on: April 14, 2015, 08:16:59 am »

Damn, you have discovered my side business!  Tongue

There is (was?) a thread here where Miss Nephele would take the letters of your real name and create inspired Steampunk persona names by pure mental Anagrammism.

I got "Maj Lancelot Innes".

I decided to keep that as my nom-de-steam if I ever began a new career in French Postcard daguerrotypes.   Grin
Aemilia
Gunner
Wales Wales

« Reply #1595 on: April 28, 2015, 08:21:19 pm »

I decided on Aemilia Piper Pilgrim in the end. My real first name is Emily its rooted in Latin and stems from the roman surname Aemilia in its feminine form. (Aemilius for the male). It means industrious so I thought it was fitting for a steampunk name. The Piper Pilgrim was Nephele's idea, she was kind enough to make some anagrams for me. 
Supercrew
Deck Hand
Wales Wales

« Reply #1596 on: May 01, 2015, 10:03:40 pm »

Supercrew is a name I have used for many years on the net. I am a backline technician in real life, i.e. stage crew and have worked with most mainstream acts between the early 80's and 2001 when I retired to become a technical theatre director.
 I am pretty good at my job if I may say so... hence Supercrew but I think/hope Nephele is about to suggest a more appropriate title for this forum  Smiley

Confusion is not necessarily an impediment.
T. C. Halloway
Officer

« Reply #1597 on: May 08, 2015, 12:32:50 am »

T.C. Halloway is my nom de plume. I would use it as a child whenever I was too shy to attach my real name to my work. Of the names Thomas and Christian, one is my actual middle name and the other is what my parents originally named me before they settled on my current name.

I got Halloway through playing rather fast-and-loose with etymology. Hallow is an old-timey word meaning to make holy (Hallowe'en, or All Hallows Eve, being the night all Hell literally breaks loose because the next day everything will be made holy). I'm using holy in the really ancient sense meaning separate, distinct, or set apart for a specific purpose. It also had connotations of appropriateness, completeness, and health. Thus Hallow=Separate, Way=Path, Halloway being a reference to taking "The Road Less Travelled", and my philosophy that that is really the best way to live.

Basically, I crafted a name that said I was an individual and sounded to me like the name of a 19th century New England writer.  Grin
river rat
Gunner

Gambler. Grave Robber. All around fun guy.

« Reply #1598 on: June 14, 2015, 03:09:55 pm »

River rat is my 'occupation'. Bit of a gambler, man of means. The name I go by right now? Luigi Chow Main. From the far far east. Go farther, you'll get there. Those who know me well call me rat.

I wanted a name that sounded fake. Like I tried to sound international but missed the mark completely. 

I'm not all bad. I rob graves. I don't add to their numbers.
Muse
Swab

England England

« Reply #1599 on: June 21, 2015, 11:26:18 am »

Æthel Muse/Æthel J Muse - I just really like the sound and meaning of the words. Also, Ethel is the name of one of my pet chickens, and I think it has an old-fashioned kind of charm about it.
Pages: 1 ... 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 [64] 65 66   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: