The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
December 16, 2017, 12:10:32 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 [62] 63 64 65 66   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Persona names  (Read 139525 times)
Lazaruslong2001
Gunner
United States United States

« Reply #1525 on: July 26, 2013, 01:35:01 pm »

Lazarus Long is a character from a collection of Heinlein stories, but I also like Prof. Mallorn (mal from the latin malus, meaning bad or evil and lorn from Old English loren meaning forsaken or lost.)  Soooo...Mallorn=Lost evil!
Doctor Smythe
Gunner

« Reply #1526 on: August 13, 2013, 04:44:14 pm »

Well, the Smythe comes from my own last name - Smith.  The Doctor is because I'm currently working on my PhD.  If I were to have put a first name, it would be Ephraim - an old family name I found doing genealogical research and I think it sounds cool.
StrayCatalyst
Swab

« Reply #1527 on: August 21, 2013, 07:42:11 pm »

I wander freely, and cause changes wherever I go. 
ZeroID
Gunner
New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #1528 on: September 05, 2013, 03:25:28 am »

For many years I worked for Xerox, that made me a Xeroid.  But then I didn't work for Xerox so I became a Zeroid. That then became a Zero ID. I have extended the idea to my personna, Professor Zero I D Stellarius. The Stellarius from my interest in Astronomy. The I & D ? Well, my parents never told me what THEY stood for so it must be bad.
Thats my story and I'm sticking to it..   Wink
LadyHelena
Swab

« Reply #1529 on: September 16, 2013, 12:27:55 am »

I've always loved the name Helena (been on my shortlist of future daughter names for years now) and the female HG Wells just sealed the deal for me. I added the Lady part after deciding to try and make my screenname sound sort of like a persona.
Nephele
Zeppelin Captain

MISTRESS OF NAMES

« Reply #1530 on: September 16, 2013, 01:15:50 am »

I've always loved the name Helena (been on my shortlist of future daughter names for years now) and the female HG Wells just sealed the deal for me. I added the Lady part after deciding to try and make my screenname sound sort of like a persona.

You've been watching Warehouse 13!  Great show!  

I am personally in love with the female Dr. Watson (played by the always delightful Lucy Liu) from Elementary.  But I really dislike the first name that the show's writers have given her:  Joan.

LadyHelena
Swab

« Reply #1531 on: September 16, 2013, 01:57:46 am »

Obsessed really. Picked it up when my husband was stationed in the middle of nowhere and I had nothing to do. Looked interesting when I saw the ads so decided to give it a whirl and was hooked. Own every episode digitally and have them on my iPad mini Cheesy
Lyra-Scarlett
Swab

United Kingdom United Kingdom

« Reply #1532 on: September 22, 2013, 06:41:26 pm »

Erm...I would love to say it's my real name but its Lyra Belacqua from His Dark Materials, and Scarlett from the movie Steamboy, a simple choice but I like it

“It's against reason," said Filby.
"What reason?" said the Time Traveller.”
Leonardo Myst
Deck Hand

« Reply #1533 on: September 28, 2013, 06:56:40 pm »

My name became an encapsulation of everything that interested me: Victorian life, steampunk/gaslamp/gothic fiction and magic/mystery.
I was originally going to use the name for my avatar on the PS3 PS Home but to my dismay I discovered that you couldn't change your name once you made it. And I had bought waaaay too much stuff to start from scratch.

Since then it's become one of the names I use for characters in games.
FenrisWolf
Officer

« Reply #1534 on: October 09, 2013, 07:17:14 pm »

I am personally in love with the female Dr. Watson (played by the always delightful Lucy Liu) from Elementary.  But I really dislike the first name that the show's writers have given her:  Joan.

Tis indeed a great show, keep meaning to get the DVDs.

They probably chose Joan as it would be the equivalent female version of John, the original Dr Watson's forename.

As for my Persona... It is a name I've used in games for more years than I can remember. My 'real life' name is actually Fenris, so adding the 'Wolf' to it was the natural thing to do Smiley

Fenris Wolf
Iconographic Capturer of Ætheric Personalities™
www.fenrisoswin.com 
Capitan Diavolo
Gunner
Italy Italy

« Reply #1535 on: October 10, 2013, 05:44:11 pm »

Matthias as my first name is Matt.... Gladstone as it's a good, woody, Victorian sounding name.
I use mikoyan99 on other parts of the interwebs.
I was karl heinz on spare goggles, after this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f9lcJJuHPEs
(listen to what elrond sais)
-Matt

LOL, Mikoyan99! I know you from another (flight-sim related) fórum. You are a modder, too.  Nice to see you here, too!

Cheers

Capitan Diavolo
Gunner
Italy Italy

« Reply #1536 on: October 10, 2013, 06:00:49 pm »

In real life I'm a former military, reached the rank of Colonel. The equiparative rank in the Italian Navy is "Capitano di Vascello", so here the rank of Capitano (Captain) I'm using in almost all internet forums.
"Diavolo" means "Devil", and that was my callsign.

Just stuck the two and there you have my nickname "Capitan Diavolo", who is nobody else than me, and the main character of something I'm writing at the moment.

In any case, my real name is Paolo Colussi, and this too is in my signature.

So there is not a "persona" here... Just me.

Cheers.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2013, 02:54:00 pm by Capitan Diavolo » Logged
Rory B Esq BSc
Snr. Officer

« Reply #1537 on: October 17, 2013, 02:11:02 pm »

It's my name and titles, as would be appropriate  on a visitors card from the late 1800's so it was quite easy to decide on it.
MRS Worthington
Deck Hand

Thus The Tangled Web Is Woven

« Reply #1538 on: October 25, 2013, 10:06:53 pm »

My maiden name. Nothing all that exciting.
Fairley B. Strange
Zeppelin Overlord
Australia Australia

Relax, I've done much dumber things and survived..

« Reply #1539 on: October 26, 2013, 03:38:22 am »

My maiden name. Nothing all that exciting.

Your maiden name is "MRS"? How unusual....

[Welcome aboard, you'll get used to this kind of thing.]

Choose a code to live by, die by it if you have to.
Mr Ignatias Arkeler
Deck Hand

« Reply #1540 on: October 26, 2013, 08:46:11 am »

I was reading the thread from the member offering to create names as an anagram of one's own name. I thought I'd try it for myself and Mr. Ignatias Arkeler was the result. I had to use Ignatias when I spotted it.

I also did my wife's name although it isn't her name here as she'd already registered before I had worked it out. Her character name is Mirage Y. Lemoyne.
von Corax
Squire of the Lambda Calculus
Board Moderator
Immortal
Canada Canada

Prof. Darwin Prætorius von Corax

« Reply #1541 on: October 27, 2013, 12:29:19 am »

I also did my wife's name although it isn't her name here as she'd already registered before I had worked it out. Her character name is Mirage Y. Lemoyne.
Is there a story behind that name?

By the power of caffeine do I set my mind in motion
By the Beans of Life do my thoughts acquire speed
My hands acquire a shaking
The shaking becomes a warning
By the power of caffeine do I set my mind in motion
The Leverkusen Institute of Paleocybernetics is 5838 km from Reading
woutar
Deck Hand
Netherlands Netherlands

Well, what do I know?

« Reply #1542 on: October 27, 2013, 03:32:46 pm »

Hax, student in the univercity of plasma breaking (think building lazer-gun ammo)

A shower can make barbarians gentlemen.
Might have happend to me......
SirWilliamOfS
Deck Hand
England England

SirWilliamOfS
« Reply #1543 on: October 29, 2013, 06:02:52 pm »

It's most likely the laziest name on here. It's literally my name with Sir and Of in it. My last name is a place. The whole Sir William Of Stafford came from having the poshest voice in my school (it was a very awful school) it was a joke but it stuck.

"It's all going brilliantly, which does imply we're doing it completely wrong"
Prof. Isambard Ravenwood
Snr. Officer

Paddle faster, I hear Banjos...

« Reply #1544 on: October 31, 2013, 12:09:34 am »

simple. my character is a professor, so "Prof". Isambard is obviously kingdom-Brunel, (and slightly because of the book space captain smith) and Ravens sounds good before wood, of which i like to make things out of!
« Last Edit: November 01, 2013, 08:31:06 pm by Prof. Isambard Ravenwood » Logged

I don't know why I have to learn algebra... I have no intention whatsoever of ever going there...

"Uh-uh. I know what you're thinking. Did he discharge 6 chambers, or was it only 5? Well, I rather forgot myself, what with all this excitement and all. But seeing that this is a .45 Civiliser, the most powerful hand-cannon in the Empire, and will blow your goggles clean off, you ought to ask yourself a question. Do I feel lucky?

"Well, do you... steampunk?"
Lady Lisette Ellis
Deck Hand

« Reply #1545 on: October 31, 2013, 07:57:38 am »

I was beginning to write my first steampunk book. (there aren't enough out there) and I was using name generators. I wrote down different first and last names and thought that Lisette and Ellis would look and sound good together. It sounded so proper that I added the Lady to it and viola Lady Lisette Ellis was born!

“We all have our time machines, don't we. Those that take us back are memories...And those that carry us forward, are dreams.”
― H.G. Wells
FenrisWolf
Officer

« Reply #1546 on: November 12, 2013, 07:28:31 pm »

[Welcome aboard, you'll get used to this kind of thing.]

I know a girl called Emily B. Strange! Not a made up name either. I think her middle name is Bethany.

Verwandlung
Deck Hand

I'll explain later.

« Reply #1547 on: November 27, 2013, 10:46:34 pm »

Surprisingly, Verwandlung isn't the name of my 'sona. It's actually Marthen Skallargrimson, a name taken from the protagonist of one of my books.
Jameson B Westering II
Deck Hand

« Reply #1548 on: December 16, 2013, 05:07:41 am »

Basically I just added some gears to my name and called it steampunk!  Wink Cheesy

Given names is James, but Jameson just sounds a little more late 19th/early 20th century to me.  Westering is a play of my last name of Wesson, but I think it gives the sense of exploring and travel and the desire to go and seek and learn.  B is for my real middle initial and II for the fact that I am in fact named for my father.
Rod Gearing
Deck Hand
England England

« Reply #1549 on: December 18, 2013, 07:30:57 pm »

My name comes from my days as a submariner; rod gearing was used to operate some of the hull-mounted valve gear and it was mentioned on more than one occasion how it would make a good pseudonym...
Pages: 1 ... 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 [62] 63 64 65 66   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: