The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
October 18, 2017, 10:29:28 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Vintage certificates, how to DIY??  (Read 1382 times)
Mr fixit
Gunner
United States United States

« on: August 19, 2014, 05:09:09 pm »

I thought I had some posts saved, and now I can't find them.  I would like to make my own certificates for my wall.  I am not looking to make anything that would not be obviously in fun, I promise not to promote myself to Emperor of the Relm.  I am more looking to have some fun such as "Air Ship Gunner", "Professor of Inter-Dimensional Communications" and the like.

I had thought I  had seen some blank or partially filled in which could be adapted for my purposes, yet now I can't find them.  Have I missed them, or do they no longer exist?  Where might I find a starting point?
« Last Edit: August 19, 2014, 08:11:56 pm by Mr fixit » Logged

Wilhelm Smydle
Snr. Officer

« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2014, 10:54:10 pm »

Thre are a few options.
Make yours just like the original with calligraphy pens and paints on quality paper.

Scan an existing document and use photoshop or some other editing software to add your own text.
This is very common on faux patent medicine bottles and such.

Once you have the document there are a number of ways to artificially age paper or give it a more worn look.
Abrasives, heat, and acid solutions are common. Though not all of these are suitable will all inks and paints.
So do a small test sample.

Some even use original paper and bleach off the original ink before reprinting.

Different papers behave differently having real fiber content instead of just wood pulp makes a difference in the final outcome.

If your using calligraphy and illumination techniques statler, Hoyt, and dickblick sell all sorts of materials.
Keith_Beef
Snr. Officer
France France

« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2014, 11:19:22 pm »

The Intarwebs are awash with this kind of stuff: just google for "victorian period certificate clipart templates and examples".

Get some idea from there, re-use (if the licences allow, of course) elements as you wish to compose your certificates in your favourite layout program.

Choose your paper carefully: some printers don't get on well with thick, stiff, textured or irregular paper. You might find a nice 110g/m² off-white paper that you can age after printing, if you want to mount it in a frame, or you might choose a thinner paper (maybe even something like Tyvek) if you want to be able to fold it and add ageing to the outside of the folded packet, leaving the inside pristine, as if it had been folded and left out of sight for decades.

Add any metal foil accents or pen-drawn colours after printing but before aging.

--
Keith
akumabito
Immortal
Netherlands Netherlands

Mundus Patria Nostra!

« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2014, 07:45:19 pm »

If you are not familiar with image editing software, there are also online certificate generators. The free versions typically aren't very fanc, but they might work..

http://www.certificatemagic.com/
http://www.123certificates.com/
http://www.certificatefun.com/

Herbert West
Zeppelin Captain

Director of Preternatural Research, Arkam Museum

« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2014, 09:21:37 am »

Also if you haven't been there, http://propnomicon.blogspot.com/  has a lot of useful tips on making faux documents. You might find some useful techniques there.

"I'm not a psychopath Anderson, I'm a high-functioning sociopath. Do your research!" ~Sherlock Holmes
Lord Pentecost
Snr. Officer
United Kingdom United Kingdom

« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2014, 08:41:26 pm »

It is possible to tea/coffee stain standard A4 printer paper, dry it, iron it, then run it through a standard ink jet printer. Do not try to tea stain anything that has been inkjet printed the ink is water soluble.

"A lot of people never use their initiative because no-one told them to" - Banksy
Herbert West
Zeppelin Captain

Director of Preternatural Research, Arkam Museum

« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2014, 04:17:20 am »

Yep, ironing works fine. If you'd like a slightly crinkled look, laying it on a tray in the oven and baking it at around 350 degrees does nicely. Watch it carefully though so it doesn't scorch.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: