The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
October 18, 2017, 09:29:55 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What would you do with your time machine other than make money?  (Read 3110 times)
Fairley B. Strange
Zeppelin Overlord
Australia Australia

Relax, I've done much dumber things and survived..

« Reply #50 on: September 28, 2014, 09:33:22 pm »

Overcrowding?
I thought it was the weight-shift of all those Time-machines and Chrono-buggies departing off the port upper deck that caused it to veer into an iceberg?

Choose a code to live by, die by it if you have to.
gaslampfantasy
Deck Hand
United Kingdom United Kingdom

« Reply #51 on: November 06, 2014, 08:23:42 pm »

Yes yes yes recover lost TV shows - we could have all the missing episodes of Doctor Who.
Aubreay Fallowfield
Snr. Officer

« Reply #52 on: November 06, 2014, 09:00:53 pm »

Go back to warn Oscar Wilde not to go to court and thereby ruin himself

Tis' bona to vada your dolly old eke.
Doctor Trakov
Officer

Admiral of the 14th Belogravian Airship Navy

« Reply #53 on: November 07, 2014, 12:50:30 am »

I'd politely ask a lot of 17th century puritans if they could add comprehensive references and helpful reading notes to their various religious tracts because let me tell you, my dissertation would have been so much easier to write.
yereverluvinunclebert
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #54 on: November 07, 2014, 05:52:04 am »

The one thing (not necessarily the first) you MUST do is go back in time and give yourself the plans for building a time machine. As long as you do that all will be well and should go as planned - but you'd know that already...

Lightquick - Steampunk Widgets and Icons of Some Worldwide Repute
Aubreay Fallowfield
Snr. Officer

« Reply #55 on: November 07, 2014, 07:36:47 pm »

Go back 9 months before Mr and Mrs Biebers' child was born, knock their door and give them a box of extra strong condoms
James Harrison
Immortal
England England

Bachelor of the Arts; Master of the Sciences

« Reply #56 on: November 07, 2014, 09:47:13 pm »

I'd go back to the late 1950s and bid for the demolition of this:

Then I would very carefully take it down, numbering each part, and hide it away in a barn or somesuch to await the day (arguably 'now') when architectural iconoclasm is frowned upon, and then donate it to the nation. 

Well, it'd be better than what actually happened, wouldn't it? 

(As in, the stonework thrown in a canal and the masonry core carelessly torn down and scattered to the four winds.... and now 50 years on there's a campaign to rebuild it...  Roll Eyes )

Persons intending to travel by open carriage should select a seat with their backs to the engine, by which means they will avoid the ashes emitted therefrom, that in travelling generally, but particularly through the tunnels, prove a great annoyance; the carriage farthest from the engine will in consequence be found the most desirable.
Flightless Phoenix
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #57 on: November 07, 2014, 10:19:37 pm »

I like your plan!

New missions for my time machine based on my current work:

Go to one of the locations on the date when a specimen from the Reynolds Herbarium was collected and follow the guy who picks the plant in order to find out more about him. We have 71 boxes of dried plant specimens and know almost nothing about the man who collected them!

cemeteryresearcher.com

'a lighthearted academic blog about funerary practice' - Updates Sundays*

*gremlins permitting
Herbert West
Zeppelin Captain
United States United States

Director of Preternatural Research, Arkam Museum

« Reply #58 on: November 08, 2014, 11:13:24 am »

I'd gather a team of experts and travel back over the last 800 years or so and collect as many specimens of extinct species as I could.

"Hello there!" *takes a sip of tea* "How much for the Moa?"
« Last Edit: November 08, 2014, 04:18:24 pm by Herbert West » Logged

"I'm not a psychopath Anderson, I'm a high-functioning sociopath. Do your research!" ~Sherlock Holmes
jonb
Snr. Officer
England England

« Reply #59 on: November 08, 2014, 01:42:24 pm »

Mr west you spoke my mind, but if I had to choose one species for me it would have to be a dwarf Elephant, about the size of a Shetland pony. Who knows how good it would be to have one as a pet, it could probably do everything a dog can do, but with its trunk it could be trained to pick things up for you as well, also I would imagine they would have very little inclination to tear up postage like my canine friend does.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
gaslampfantasy
Deck Hand

« Reply #60 on: November 13, 2014, 02:49:07 pm »

The library of Alexandria. I think that i would go back there and save all those lost works.
yereverluvinunclebert
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #61 on: November 17, 2014, 03:51:41 am »

I might just pop over to America and have a look at Penn St. Station before you philistines knocked it down.

A crime, I'd say.

http://www.citylab.com/design/2013/10/10-gorgeous-nostalgic-photos-new-yorks-old-penn-station/7384/
Mr. Syson
Officer

« Reply #62 on: November 29, 2014, 03:22:29 am »

I'd go back, buy a huge trunk and then travel the world covering said trunk with labels and stickers from every country I'd visited. A far more elegant way to travel.
von Corax
Squire of the Lambda Calculus
Board Moderator
Immortal
Canada Canada

Prof. Darwin Prætorius von Corax

« Reply #63 on: November 29, 2014, 07:48:16 am »

I'd head for Dublin, some time in March 1922, sneak into the Four Courts Hall of Records, and photocopy the birth and death records for a certain parish in Co. Tipperary. On the way home I'd stop off at the A. V. Roe complex in Malton, Ontario over Christmas 1958 and make off with one of the CF-105 Arrow prototypes ― preferably RL-206, the only MkII prototype. (That nose assembly at CASM is actually from the '205; I repainted the number on the way out. Grin )

I might also swing by Huntsville, Alabama in 1972 and grab the blueprints for the Saturn V before they get shredded.

By the power of caffeine do I set my mind in motion
By the Beans of Life do my thoughts acquire speed
My hands acquire a shaking
The shaking becomes a warning
By the power of caffeine do I set my mind in motion
The Leverkusen Institute of Paleocybernetics is 5838 km from Reading
Patron Zero
Gunner

« Reply #64 on: December 05, 2014, 10:16:58 am »

Perhaps my usage of a cross-temporal conveyance is much more pedestrian and a bit self-centered than most ambitions thus stated.

With such travel accessible to my person, I would revisit all places that fall into the category of fuzzy childhood memories I now possess, fully document such with period-specific photographic equipment and audio recording gear to bolster said uncertain recollections.  A nice harvesting of related ephemera from the various locations would be a strictly followed protocol for any such visit.

On a more personal note, I would clandestinely recover all of the lost items of my young years and if possible prevent their disappearance whether such was accidental or part of some-then unseen agenda of outside parties.

Objects as mundane as a single bubble-gum trading card or more beloved as a trusted plush animal companion, that one morning was inexplicably missing from my bed, would never baffle and confuse the small child I then was.

"I carry the dust of a journey that cannot be shaken away....."
gaslampfantasy
Deck Hand

« Reply #65 on: December 15, 2014, 04:32:33 pm »

Let's presume that if your time machine left London in 2014 you can arrive in London in 1884, for example.

I have been thinking about this a lot. With multiple journeys you could save animals from extinction, bringing back breeding pairs of just about everything which has been wiped out. You would not have to worry about the impossibility of extracting DNA from the blood of insects trapped in amber.
jonb
Snr. Officer
England England

« Reply #66 on: December 15, 2014, 08:10:15 pm »

Mind you if somebody has upset the normal timeline with improper use of a time machine it might be necessary to employ somebody to go back in time and insert insects that have sucked the correct blood into the amber, because the insect could not suck the blood from an animal that had been removed from where it was into the future.

Gott im himmel; is all the process of evolution driven by people in the future removing the prettiest animals for pets, and leaving the ugliest to breed, now at last that explains my wife's family.
jonb
Snr. Officer
England England

« Reply #67 on: December 22, 2014, 11:39:56 am »

Found this image

Mini elephants might still be about, I have no need for a time machine now.
VampirateMace
Zeppelin Captain

Mein Hexapod

« Reply #68 on: December 22, 2014, 07:13:34 pm »

Found this image

Mini elephants might still be about, I have no need for a time machine now.

Where do I get one?!?

gaslampfantasy
Deck Hand

« Reply #69 on: December 27, 2014, 02:29:00 pm »

I have just lost some comics in a flood, including a couple of Silver Age comics. I think that I would go back in time and buy lots of old DC comics at cover price. It would be nice to have a mint issue of Detective Comics 27.
VampirateMace
Zeppelin Captain

Mein Hexapod

« Reply #70 on: December 28, 2014, 03:23:05 am »

I like that plan, though you'll need to find a safe place to hide them (until the present/future), otherwise, they'll have no age at all and look like reprints.
Patron Zero
Gunner

« Reply #71 on: December 29, 2014, 12:12:11 pm »

I hate to quote 'logic' arguments from films as to most are baseless but I think one does apply in regards to going into the past and making purchases.

In the first Back to the Future film, Dr. Emmett Brown warns Marty about how small actions in the past can potentially upset the 'balance' of the present.

The example he gives is by visiting a malt shop and buying a meal, as innocuous as such seems, could have a major influence on the 'fate' of that business.

Dr.Brown points out that just the 'additional' sales of a soft drink or a burger could effect the closing tills, where it might be the owner has been musing over closing his shop.  That small intake of the sale of the 'additional' meal could give the owner momentary cause to put-off his intended 'retirement', resulting in longer employment of his staff, additional purchases from suppliers and advertising bought from local newspapers.

In the sense of buying up presently-valuable comics in the past, such action might contribute to that particular comic title not ending but printing past it's original 'run', possibly upsetting the 'history' of other titles.

The other side to any purchase in the past would be any transaction must be made in 'local' currency, date-appropriate coinage and paper money, which depending on the intended item's cost, might be prohibitive to stage.

Harry Harrison wrote an interesting novel about a modern-day man going into the past to alter the outcome of the American Civil War by shoring up the Confederacy's failing economy with gold brought from the 'future'.

The present-day cost of gold being inversely more than Civil War era values would prohibit that plan, but the antagonist had been pilfering modern-day gold depositories to fund his scheme.
Maxwell Grantly
Deck Hand

Author and Illustrator

@MaxwellGrantly
« Reply #72 on: December 29, 2014, 06:44:50 pm »

I'd destroy it! There are enough problems in the world without having to relive them all for a second time!

(Just joking)

Rory B Esq BSc
Snr. Officer

« Reply #73 on: December 31, 2014, 04:35:49 pm »

Find the 5 most 'iconic' photo's and do a 'selfie' in them.
Likewise the Mona Lisa, Last supper and so on.
Silly but if you're going to be a time traveler why not combine it with current 'social networking'?
Jedediah Solomon
Snr. Officer
Canada Canada

If all else fails, get a larger hammer

« Reply #74 on: December 31, 2014, 05:32:32 pm »

I would return that movie I rented back in 1984....do you realize how much I owe in late fees?

Adventure awaits
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: