The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
October 23, 2017, 01:56:35 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What would you do with your time machine other than make money?  (Read 3115 times)
4_0_4
Snr. Officer
Sweden Sweden

Hi Forest , hows Fanny?

« Reply #25 on: August 24, 2014, 02:09:46 pm »

I'd like to see if many things like Jesus and other myths existed ... esp dragons

Could it f things up any worse than now ? .. possibly

" You can lose every battle except that last " Sir Malcolm , Penny Dreadful
bicyclebuilder
Zeppelin Overlord
Netherlands Netherlands

A.K.A. Scanner Camera Builder

« Reply #26 on: August 25, 2014, 08:46:22 am »

If a time machine does not adjust for the changing location of the earth with time, your trip will leave you floating in space or worse.

Just for argument sake, it's safe to say that a time machine can also adjust the location. For your explanation, a time machine needs a transportation module as well as a time alteration module.

Back to the use of the time machine. I would go back to 1856 to the Pasterze glacier. I want to see the glacier in all it's glory. Every year, the glacier is melting about 10 meter. For that same reason, I would like to visit Niagara Falls, the great barrier reef, Alaska.

The best way to learn is by personal experience.
Stormcat
Officer
United States United States

Sir Whiskers, Lord High Mouser and Royal lapwarmer

« Reply #27 on: August 26, 2014, 12:19:39 am »

Attend the Columbian exhibition and save Tesla's brain.

J. Wilhelm
╬ Admiral und Luftschiffengel ╬
Board Moderator
Immortal

Sentisne fortunatum punkus? Veni. Diem meum comple

« Reply #28 on: August 26, 2014, 08:23:29 am »

There's always something you regret in your life.  I'd go bacl and convince my grandparents not to sell their house in Mexico City.  Or at least I'd convince them to wait for at least 6 years before moving to the US, and convince them that burning through life-savings is useless -as in the end they did burn through their life savings, and my grandfather, bu then a widower, had to start a new business with literally zero money (hence no point in selling your house and your assets).

Macumazan
Swab

United Kingdom United Kingdom

« Reply #29 on: August 26, 2014, 08:26:09 am »

Well aside from trying to shoot my grandfather (just to see what would happen), I think I'd probably give Charles Babbage a few hot tips at the races so he could carry on his research into Difference Engines - imagine if we'd had computers (albeit mechanical ones), even just a few decades earlier!

I'd probably also make a concerted effort to get the Electric Car off the ground. Apparently it was initially quite a close run thing between it and the internal combustion engine.

Also save the life of the ArchDuke Ferdinand and so hopefully avert WW1, although this might not pan out as hoped.

If we change something are we allowed to change it back?
Lord Wraste
Zeppelin Overlord

I'm so sneaky even I don't know what I'm up to.

« Reply #30 on: August 27, 2014, 06:02:17 am »

I would introduce the Rocket Stove 100 years before it's invention in the 80s.

I would then use the monies from the sale of the patents to insure that industrial hemp is never banned and introduce the equipment to harvest and process it.

Energy revolution, anyone?
bicyclebuilder
Zeppelin Overlord
Netherlands Netherlands

« Reply #31 on: August 27, 2014, 07:20:18 am »

There's always something you regret in your life.  I'd go bacl and convince my grandparents not to sell their house in Mexico City.  Or at least I'd convince them to wait for at least 6 years before moving to the US, and convince them that burning through life-savings is useless -as in the end they did burn through their life savings, and my grandfather, bu then a widower, had to start a new business with literally zero money (hence no point in selling your house and your assets).

I also have things I regret in my live, but I wouldn't want to change it. Bad decisions build character. Changing it wouldn't bring you to the point in life you are right now.
J. Wilhelm
╬ Admiral und Luftschiffengel ╬
Board Moderator
Immortal

Sentisne fortunatum punkus? Veni. Diem meum comple

« Reply #32 on: August 27, 2014, 07:51:51 am »

There's always something you regret in your life.  I'd go bacl and convince my grandparents not to sell their house in Mexico City.  Or at least I'd convince them to wait for at least 6 years before moving to the US, and convince them that burning through life-savings is useless -as in the end they did burn through their life savings, and my grandfather, by then a widower, had to start a new business with literally zero money (hence no point in selling your house and your assets).

I also have things I regret in my live, but I wouldn't want to change it. Bad decisions build character. Changing it wouldn't bring you to the point in life you are right now.
Dude:  I've been suffering intensely for 8 years now.  Mostly as a result of my grandfather’s business forays which at the end I had to finance and close.  Yes some things came about that were great.  My Steampunk came from honing my survival skills, as necessity is the mother of invention, but my body has paid a tremendous price, and I'm old enough now to start worrying about even having the time for a family of my own.  At this point, I can't even take care of my own health.  Building character will not help if I'm dead!  There's got to be a better way.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2014, 07:57:38 am by J. Wilhelm » Logged
bicyclebuilder
Zeppelin Overlord
Netherlands Netherlands

« Reply #33 on: August 27, 2014, 09:23:51 am »

If you put it that way, and back to topic:
I would:
-go back in time to when I purchased my first car on credit. I haven't recovered from that in 20 years.
-go back in time to about when I was 20 and start moving on my own. Instead of 30 and in debt because of said car and 1/2 of my paycheck for room and board.
-go back in time to when my wife and I where planning our second child and third. Both died (first one after 45minutes, second one aborted) from the same generic illness.
-go back to when my wife and I started to do less and less, eating more and more junk food, closing down to the outside world. This is about the time where my life, health and happyness started to spiral down.
-go back in time when my mother-in-law, who's dying from lungcancer, started smoking and stop her.

I'm trying to take the good things in life and trying to find a way to deal with the bad things in life. But it's hard. Going down financially, healthwise or mentally is easy. Crawling back up is the hardest part.
You are right:"there's got to be a better way." What that way would be, I don't know. I guess I'll take a jump forward in time where everything is better and take that knowledge back to present time.
Dr. Madd
Zeppelin Captain

Maker of Monsters

« Reply #34 on: August 27, 2014, 05:06:08 pm »

Make a lot of stops in the Mesozoic to see the dinosaurs. Get a hawk-sized dragonfly as a pet.

Unless you have an oxygen tent, your pet would die an agonizing death. The reason for the size of the Carboniferous insects was due to a higher oxygen content in the atmosphere at the time. I've been wanting to make an oxygen tent and raise spiders to see what would happen.

What do we want? Decapitations!
Weaver
Officer

« Reply #35 on: August 29, 2014, 07:01:55 pm »

I, myself, would recover lost films and lost TV shows.

That's also on my list (maybe we could co-operate), along with rescuing various other things lost to history, attempting to save the thylacine from extinction, giving Tesla some advice (ie 'Edison is a sneaky, theiving snake, don't trust him and patent everything'), trolling archeologists, trolling various other people, attempting to save at least one of the gorgeous buildings that used to be in my town decades ago from being knocked down, and trying to stop my late grandmother from smoking.
chicar
Rogue Ætherlord
Canada Canada

Student in Techno-Shamanism and Lyncanthrope

Chicar556
« Reply #36 on: August 29, 2014, 11:40:07 pm »

Astruistly, i would either do one of those thing:

a) Get a couple of world leaders on a cruise in 2100 and have them interogate the locals. If thing have gone as bad i fear they will, they may learn a few lessons.

b) Present a blueprint of a rudimentary electric engine to James Watt whiles he still working on improving this mine steam pump.

Personally.....i might be more interested in moving dimensions than moving epochs.

The word pagan came from paganus , who mean peasant . Its was a way to significate than christianism was the religion of the elite and paganism the one of the savage worker class.

''Trickster shows us how we trick OURSELVES. Her rampant curiosity backfires, but, then, something NEW is discovered (though usually not what She expected)! This is where creativity comes from—experiment, do something different, maybe even something forbidden, and voila! A breakthrough occurs! Ha! Ha! We are released! The world is created anew! Do something backwards, break your own traditions, the barrier breaks; destroy the world as you know it, let the new in.''
Extract of the Dreamflesh article ''Path of The Sacred Clown''
Weaver
Officer

« Reply #37 on: September 23, 2014, 05:35:16 pm »

One I forgot to mention in my last post; prevent the Beeching Axe. Not sure how I'd accomplish this but I'll think of something.
Sludge Van Diesel
Zeppelin Captain
England England

SteampunkDJ.co.uk

« Reply #38 on: September 23, 2014, 10:00:54 pm »

I'd go back to the 1980s & define Steampunk as soon as the term was coined.

Better to study for one hour with the wise, than to drink wine with the foolish

www.steampunkdj.co.uk  Please follow me on Twitter https://twitter.com/SteampunkDJ & Facebook https://www.facebook.com/steampunkdj
thezombiekat
Gunner
Australia Australia

« Reply #39 on: September 24, 2014, 05:23:50 am »

Scan way forward in time and confirm humanity’s survival of its own stupidity, the death of the sun and the heat death of the universe.

If humanity or its descendants makes those milestones recover the complete original doctor who, prevent cancelation of firefly.  Get life extension tech in the future. No major changes.

If humanity is not destined to survive those milestones take many people with technical skill back in time to restart and replace humanity with technological and social advantages. Continue looping humanity back on itself using humanity itself as the processor in a large scale closed time like curve computer devoted to working out how the species or its descendants can survive forever.

Because if you’re going to make large scale changes you may as well go LARGE.
MechanicalMouse
Zeppelin Captain

A tall mouse with huge cogs!

« Reply #40 on: September 24, 2014, 08:32:00 am »

Similaar thoughts here.
Go back and try and stop the points in history where humanity suffered technological and social stagnation or even worse reversal.

No need to get Hitler into the early art classes, humanity would have already wiped itself out in 1337 due to the 100 seconds war, quantum bombs.....
Herbert West
Zeppelin Captain

Director of Preternatural Research, Arkam Museum

« Reply #41 on: September 24, 2014, 03:35:52 pm »

Let's see...on a personal level I'd pop back to the early 80's and convince myself that computing is something I should be studying.

Borrow a video camera and travel back to the scenes of the more famous Nessie, sea serpent, Bigfoot, and UFO sightings.

Find out who Jack the Ripper really was and set the police on him.

Rescue a few extinct species.

Visit ancient Egypt at its height.

Pop back to the BBC film archive around 1972 or so and rescue all those Doctor Who film cans.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2014, 07:04:56 pm by Herbert West » Logged

"I'm not a psychopath Anderson, I'm a high-functioning sociopath. Do your research!" ~Sherlock Holmes
Sludge Van Diesel
Zeppelin Captain
England England

SteampunkDJ.co.uk

« Reply #42 on: September 24, 2014, 04:13:37 pm »

Thought of another, I'd assassinate GD Falksen, to put the rest of us out of his misery.
Herbert West
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #43 on: September 24, 2014, 04:29:10 pm »

Oops, double post apparently.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2014, 01:01:18 pm by Herbert West » Logged
Clym Angus
Zeppelin Admiral

Lord of Misrule

« Reply #44 on: September 25, 2014, 05:42:11 pm »

I would drive round in it and impress the opposite sex!

Eleanor B. Harvatt
Deck Hand

« Reply #45 on: September 25, 2014, 06:33:54 pm »

I'm researching my family tree, and one particular branch has come to a dead stop, because it's at a point when only parish records existed and I can't work out where this particular family member originated from - so I'd love to speak to him and find out how he ended up where he did, and where he originated from. I might have a few other questions for other family members here and there too.  Smiley

On a wider level, I'd like to see where some of my favourite artists got their inspiration from, and maybe meet them and see how they ticked.
Rory B Esq BSc
Snr. Officer

« Reply #46 on: September 25, 2014, 08:33:51 pm »

Is force feeding uranium oxide to people who abused women I know before they did it allowed?
Mercury Wells
Rogue Ætherlord
I insiste that you do call me WELLS. :)

« Reply #47 on: September 25, 2014, 09:45:34 pm »

Collect ephemera.

Oh...my old war wound? I got that at The Battle of Dorking. Very nasty affair that was, I can tell you.

The Ministry of Tea respectfully advises you to drink one cup of tea day...for that +5 Moral Fibre stat.
VampirateMace
Zeppelin Captain

Mein Hexapod

« Reply #48 on: September 27, 2014, 07:28:30 pm »

It's already been said, but my first thought is usually:
Dinosaurs

That said... all this it's a Time machine, not a Space machine stuff: Time and Space are linked in such a way, and considered different aspects of the same thing in quantum physics, that I think it pretty much has to be a Time-Space machine.

And mucking about in history should be a no go. You can always make things worse, I'm sure. Time tourism only (which may muck things up anyways)... Which reminds me there was a project where they were searching the net for evidence of fore-knowledge of events before they happened, which would possible suggest time-travel.

Herbert West
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #49 on: September 28, 2014, 07:07:44 pm »

Sadly we already have evidence that time travel will never be a thing. Otherwise history would tell us that the Titanic capsized on its maiden voyage from the weight of too many people on board.

Bloody time tourists.

« Last Edit: November 07, 2014, 08:47:55 pm by Herbert West » Logged
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: