The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
October 22, 2017, 09:27:49 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What would you do with your time machine other than make money?  (Read 3114 times)
RJBowman
Zeppelin Captain

« on: August 16, 2014, 02:22:10 am »

I will first eliminate saving Lincoln or stopping the 9-11 terrorists from this game, because they are too obvious, and not personal enough.

I, myself, would recover lost films and lost TV shows. And I would seek out and get to know famous people before they were famous.
Rory B Esq BSc
Snr. Officer
United Kingdom United Kingdom

« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2014, 04:28:17 pm »

I'd take a look at some things like the great exhibition at Crystal palace, meet some of the inventors explorers and scientists who broke new ground and probably visit some major historical events (nothing dangerous like a battle as I'd want to come back to now).
von Corax
Squire of the Lambda Calculus
Board Moderator
Immortal
Canada Canada

Prof. Darwin Prætorius von Corax

« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2014, 01:35:44 am »

Raid the Great Library of Alexandria, then convince Nicola Tesla to let me photocopy all his papers, "so if that bastard Edison gets hold of them, you'll have independent proof that you thought of it first."
« Last Edit: August 17, 2014, 02:03:08 am by von Corax » Logged

By the power of caffeine do I set my mind in motion
By the Beans of Life do my thoughts acquire speed
My hands acquire a shaking
The shaking becomes a warning
By the power of caffeine do I set my mind in motion
The Leverkusen Institute of Paleocybernetics is 5838 km from Reading
pakled
Zeppelin Captain
United States United States

Minions Local 305, at your thervice!

« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2014, 03:05:01 am »

See the Victorian age in all it's splendor, drop a few suggestions in the right ears...Wink
Siliconous Skumins
Server Monk
Governor
Rogue Ætherlord

« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2014, 04:59:44 am »

Well, as I know I'm banned from temporal travel, I may as well share... Grin

Basically it's very simple - I would f*** with peoples minds!  Cheesy
For example; did you ever wonder about some of the wierd thing that have happened in history? Like maybe WHY during the Trinity atomic bomb test on july 16 1945, did Tchaikovsky’s Nutcracker Suite start crackling in the background as the countdown was read out over the PA system...

Wink

[Server Prayer]
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Dr. Madd
Zeppelin Captain

Maker of Monsters

« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2014, 05:21:15 am »

Go back in time and assassinate Woodrow Wilson. This would solve most of the world's problems now.

What do we want? Decapitations!
Niila
Officer
Finland Finland

« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2014, 07:37:21 am »

Just sightseeing. I would visit Library of Alexandria, Crystal Palace Exhibition, Titanic,  few Finnish castles (St. Olaf's Castle, Raseborg castle and Turku castle) to see their former glory and China before all that political mess. I would probably come up with more places to visit on my way Wink

But I wouldn't mess with the time, I wouldn't kill anyone or try to save anyone or try to change anything. Who knows, maybe I would accidentally prevent my own birth or something. I already know, that I wouldn't be here if people had made different choices (if great grandfather, a widow and single father, decided to give my grandfather up to adoption to German couple about decade before WW II or if my grandmother had listened the doctors and aborted my mother). Time is fragile thing and tiny change in timeline could have massive and disastrous consequences.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2014, 07:42:58 am by Niila » Logged
gaslampfantasy
Deck Hand

« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2014, 05:42:12 pm »

Go back to Mauritius in the 15th century and rescue a breeding pair of dodos before the Portuguese sailors wipe them all out.
Maets
Immortal

Gravatar

Airship Builder

« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2014, 08:44:32 pm »

Go back and meet Bob Ross.  As a start.

Inflatable Friend
Zeppelin Admiral
Italy Italy

« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2014, 10:38:56 pm »

After signing up to the general 'No messing with the progress of humanity' covenant I'd set about learning as much as I could first hand from as many of the great artistic and architectural masters of history as I possibly could.

tylerkendo
Swab

« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2014, 08:09:07 am »

As a time traveler, I would take my son back to the sixties.  We would both be the same age (20's) and would pose as brothers.  We would go to concerts, including Woodstock.   I might turn him on to some of the good dope that I remember.  Maybe not.......   
We would return in about a month because we would miss our computers.

Clym Angus
Zeppelin Admiral

Lord of Misrule

« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2014, 12:23:23 pm »

Dinosaurs.

Fairley B. Strange
Zeppelin Overlord
Australia Australia

Relax, I've done much dumber things and survived..

« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2014, 01:00:17 pm »

Anybody else watch the opening scene of the Flintstones and wondered what those big ribs really tasted like?
Ever noticed that sometimes those big fossils have portions that didn't get preserved in the rock?
Make a booking at my restaurant.
(Stone and wood foot-propelled cars not essential, unless you really want to.)

Choose a code to live by, die by it if you have to.
Maets
Immortal

Gravatar

Airship Builder

« Reply #13 on: August 20, 2014, 01:50:03 pm »

Jump into the future 50 or 100 years to see what it is like.
J. Wilhelm
╬ Admiral und Luftschiffengel ╬
Board Moderator
Immortal

Sentisne fortunatum punkus? Veni. Diem meum comple

« Reply #14 on: August 22, 2014, 06:11:51 am »

The thought occurred to me I would get or re-purchase all the toys that I got rid of over the years as I was growing up ...

Abracabella
Deck Hand

All stars are there to shine!

« Reply #15 on: August 22, 2014, 02:48:36 pm »

I'd definitely go back to the Victorian age and drop a few suggestions! I din't think I would mess with history - I know what the Doctor would say!

Cogs and wheels and sprockets and springs
Metal and leather and beautiful things
Brass sculpted treasures, copper and lead
Your ideas are alive, though your century's dead

bicyclebuilder
Zeppelin Overlord
Netherlands Netherlands

A.K.A. Scanner Camera Builder

« Reply #16 on: August 22, 2014, 04:02:14 pm »

After signing up to the general 'No messing with the progress of humanity' covenant I'd set about learning as much as I could first hand from as many of the great artistic and architectural masters of history as I possibly could.

I'd second that.

There is one problem with most of your suggestions Niila. You are talking about a TIME machine, not a PLACE machine. Meaning, one can travel through time, but not through space. One needs a way of transportation. And that's where my suggestion comes in.

I would travel the world, visiting the masters as mentioned before, using ways of transportation used in that time. Visiting Eifel using the railroad. Going to New Amsterdam by steamboat.

The best way to learn is by personal experience.
Niila
Officer
Finland Finland

« Reply #17 on: August 22, 2014, 04:32:55 pm »

There is one problem with most of your suggestions Niila. You are talking about a TIME machine, not a PLACE machine. Meaning, one can travel through time, but not through space. One needs a way of transportation. And that's where my suggestion comes in.

I would travel the world, visiting the masters as mentioned before, using ways of transportation used in that time. Visiting Eifel using the railroad. Going to New Amsterdam by steamboat.

I didn't think of that Shocked And you don't have to go far back in time, when travelling inside and leaving Finland is really hard... Well, Finnish history is interesting too, and if I can get a horse, there's still those castles I want to visit.

Or I go were I want in this time, and time jump there...
RJBowman
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #18 on: August 22, 2014, 11:37:30 pm »

For the purpose of the discussion, I will allow the use of machines like the TARDIS, Omni, or Wayback machine that can travel through space as well as time.
Captain Lyerly
Zeppelin Overlord
Ukraine Ukraine

At the helm of the Frumious Bandersnatch

« Reply #19 on: August 23, 2014, 12:22:16 am »

Well, I would have to start by making some money, in order to carry out parts of my plan.

I would go back to about 1980 and purchase both MTV and EMI.  I would ensure that Blondie's "Rapture" never saw the light of day, and ensure that MTV continued broadcasting music, not rap.

Cheers!

Chas.

Captain Sir Charles A. Lyerly, O.B.T.
Soldier of Fortune and Gentleman Adventurer
wire: captain_lyerly, at wire office "Yahoo dot Qom"

"You'd think he'd learn."
"Heh! De best minions neffer do!"
Kieranfoy
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

Wot's a personal text?

« Reply #20 on: August 23, 2014, 12:29:56 am »

Make more money. The IRS will invent a new law that allows them to steal 90% of monies gained through temporal manipulation, so I'll have to make rather a lot to break even.

Toll the Great Bell Once!
Pull the Lever forward to engage the
Piston and Pump...

Toll the Great Bell Twice!
With push of Button fire the Engine
And spark Turbine into life...

Toll the Great Bell Thrice!
Sing Praise to the
God of All Machines!
Fairley B. Strange
Zeppelin Overlord
Australia Australia

« Reply #21 on: August 23, 2014, 12:48:47 am »

Taxes?
Governments?

Rather go back and become that shadowy mythical CIA/Illuminati/aliens/etcetera organisation that the tinfoil-hatters imagine exists anyway.
Be the power behind various thrones - nothing too draconian, just make sure everything rolls along as it does, and just sit back and relax.
Alexis Voltaire
Rogue Ætherlord

Shàlle We Dànce?

« Reply #22 on: August 23, 2014, 05:03:31 am »

Stop fox from cancelling Firefly.

Make a lot of stops in the Mesozoic to see the dinosaurs. Get a hawk-sized dragonfly as a pet.

See if anything resembling Atlantis ever existed.

Watch the pyramids being built.

Watch Yellowstone erupt from upwind.

From right where I live I could see some really interesting natural phenomena at different times; glaciers at the edge of the edge of the north American ice sheet, the Missoula ice age floods (These were huge, basically half the volume of lake Michigan breaking free and draining across the landscape at once.) and the eruptions of volcanic fissures that covered about half the state in a lake of lava. (I'd probably need a forcefield to see that one up close, but I imagine it would be darned impressive at night from a safe distance.)

And probably the volcanic eruptions on the moon that created the lunar seas. (although I'm not sure if there was air at that point, have to look it up.)
« Last Edit: August 23, 2014, 05:11:42 am by Alexis Voltaire » Logged

~-- Purveyour of Useless Facts, Strange Advice, Plots --~
Fairley B. Strange
Zeppelin Overlord
Australia Australia

« Reply #23 on: August 23, 2014, 09:01:33 am »

Go back to Alexandria and get a library card.

If I time it right, I won't even have to pay late fees.
Maets
Immortal

Gravatar

Airship Builder

« Reply #24 on: August 23, 2014, 01:46:16 pm »

If a time machine does not adjust for the changing location of the earth with time, your trip will leave you floating in space or worse.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: