The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
December 17, 2017, 10:48:42 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Support BrassGoggles! Donate once or $3/mo.
 See details here.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Decorative Port Holes  (Read 4156 times)
Guyver
Zeppelin Captain
United States United States

If you need me, I'll be in the lab.

« on: March 07, 2007, 11:20:02 pm »

Total cost in making these is around $3 each.
I started with some plastic paper plate trays picked up at the $1 shop (4 for a buck)
The wing nuts and bolts are plastic ones from the hardware shop right around $2.25 for 3 wing nuts 3 heads and one large head.
Each port hole is 10 1/2 in wide. An image can be added to the back of the porthole and seen like in a window. No glass but well, you can see for yourself.

"If I get kicked out of con for shooting a NERF gun I'm stabbing someone with a toaster!"
Hail Bedlam.
Jake of All Trades
Zeppelin Admiral

Brass addict, inventor, and scoundrel with a heart

« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2007, 12:38:18 am »

I can't believe those are plastic! Shocked  Would you be so kind as to share the details of the painting procedure?

"...it's a form of fiction, and as such, while there may be times when it's considered a worthy vehicle for pointing out some of society and individual flaws - I still want a side that will let there be lighthearted adventures in the clouds, on mars, or under the sea."
--Tinkergirl
mr gilbert flint
Officer

« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2007, 12:46:10 am »

never seen trays like those before. i take it you cut out the fan pattern yourself.very nicely done the paint work looks very realistic

I'M THE DANDY SKYWAY MAN(almost adam and the ants)
member of the P.I.R.A.T.E.S council
Col. Adrianna Hazard
Officer
Canada Canada

A Most Improper Victorian Lady

« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2007, 12:47:02 am »

It's incredible what a bit of creativity can do on a small budget. These are absolutely fantastic, Guyver, thank you for sharing.

I second the request for painting process details, if you would be so kind. I'm sure many of us would put such a finish to good use.
Anachronist
Officer
Dandy and Dilletante

« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2007, 12:56:11 am »

Between this and your other thread, I must say your painting skills are quite extraordinary.
Good show, sir!

Regards,
Alexander

The first sign of the beginning of understanding is a wish to die.

WisconsinPlatt
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2007, 12:58:24 am »

I know exactly those plastic paper plate holders of which you speak, but never would I have thought to do that.

Well Done.
Guyver
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2007, 01:39:55 am »

never seen trays like those before. i take it you cut out the fan pattern yourself.very nicely done the paint work looks very realistic

Nope, came that way. they are used to support paper plates.
Right side up

Upside down

I can't believe those are plastic! Shocked  Would you be so kind as to share the details of the painting procedure?

I always start with a black base coat of paint. I have been using Krylon Fusion Black. This stuff is made to bond with plastics so it will not chip or rub off. As for the metallic tones, I use the following CITADEL COLOUR PAINTS:
Mithril Silver
Dwarf Bronze
Brazen Brass
Burnished Gold
Shining Gold

I start with a dry brushing of the Mithril Silver on the black. Leave allot of black.
Then I do layers of the other colours starting with the darkest going to the lightest as in order listed above.

For a good tarnished patina mix :
Snot Green
Bleached Bone
and enough water to make it so runny it looks pointless.

Slather this on and let it settle in the cracks and highlight spots of the project. Add a little extra to spots you want more tarnish.

The last step is odd but trust me it works like magic!

Add a little black, brown and green to a bottle of "FUTURE" floor wax. shake well before using.
Once again slather this on like you did th patina. let settle or run as you like to add a gritty oiled look and a good seal to your project.

Hope this helps.
S.Sprocket
Administrator
Zeppelin Captain

Industria Proficiscor In!

« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2007, 01:42:04 am »

how much was all that paint?

"It's what a cove knows that counts, ain't it Sybil?  More than land or money, more than birth.  Information. Very flash." -Mick Radley

"Teaching boys to bake cakes? That's no way to maintain an industrial empire." --Fred Dibnah
Simon Hogwood
Zeppelin Admiral

Adventurer & Scholar

« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2007, 01:44:21 am »

I use the following CITADEL COLOUR PAINTS:
Mithril Silver
Dwarf Bronze
<snip!>
Snot Green
Bleached Bone

These are actual color names?  Huh

Anyway, the paint job is great, and it was a real brainwave to look at the plate-holder and see a porthole. Very nice.

"The laws of the land mean nothing to a man with a giant mechanical spider!" - Jake of All Trades

"The only clue to my secret obsession is one completely badass hat." - Jacob Squirrel
arcane
Snr. Officer

Steamcrunk. WHAT?

« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2007, 01:46:59 am »

I use the following CITADEL COLOUR PAINTS:
Mithril Silver
Dwarf Bronze
<snip!>
Snot Green
Bleached Bone

These are actual color names?  Huh

Anyway, the paint job is great, and it was a real brainwave to look at the plate-holder and see a porthole. Very nice.

Citadel uses crazy fantasy related names because they're primarily intended to paint gaming miniatures.
Jmtwo
Gunner

« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2007, 01:51:27 am »

That's genius!! I love it and will have to give it a try.  Thanks for sharing.

Snot Green has always been my favorite name for a paint. Cheesy

"Hell, I'll kill a man in a fair fight... or if I think he's gonna start a fair fight, or if he bothers me, or if there's a woman, or if I'm gettin' paid - mostly only when I'm gettin' paid."
heavyporker
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2007, 02:06:45 pm »

I suspect you could easily make/find glass/plexiglass circles.

Clock faces off used ones that you don't care about, for one. Another possible source would be, hmm, lightbulb covers?

Also, if you've ever come in contact with the stained glass craft, you'll know what I mean by making your own glass circles.

I hope you all enjoyed Air Kraken Day
Tinkergirl
Brass Goggles Curator
Founders
Zeppelin Captain
United Kingdom United Kingdom

« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2007, 02:54:22 pm »

Generally I find Citadel paints remarkably expensive for what they are (but no real surprise there, Games Workshop) but they are sold in very handy small tubs.  I'm sure other acryilic paints would do as well. 

[edit out the bit where I try to describe the colours...]

Ah wait - no I've actually found swatches: here.

Excellent job, Guyver!  Have you had any more thoughts on putting a background behind them?
Guyver
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2007, 03:57:59 pm »

Excellent job, Guyver!  Have you had any more thoughts on putting a background behind them?

They do run a bit on the pricey side. As for the backgrounds, I am going to hold off on that for now. The Portholes are being made for decorations for a Nautilus Steam Punk party in Sept. I will let the folks doing the party work out what they want to see out the portholes.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: