The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
October 23, 2017, 04:28:42 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Leather steampunk armour  (Read 938 times)
milamber
Deck Hand
United Kingdom United Kingdom

« on: August 08, 2014, 10:26:01 pm »

I'm fairly new to sewing and leatherwork. I've completed a few earlier steampunk clothing projects, but wanted to try something a little more ambitious so have had a bash at some airship pirate armour for my wife. The leather was all kindly donated by a 1950's Finnish greatcoat I bought from Ebay for about £5. I prefer to re-use old clothes than buy new material. It's greener and cheaper!

First time riveting, making patterns and actually making something more or less to measure . It's not perfect by any means, but I'm quite pleased with it. Appreciate any comments - good or bad Smiley

Maets
Immortal
United States United States

Gravatar

Airship Builder

« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2014, 12:21:01 am »

Looks good to me.  Nice use of an old coat.

Prof Thadeus Q. Wychlock
Zeppelin Admiral

What Watt ?!

« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2014, 06:40:22 am »

I have to agree with my learned colleague Maets.
Looks excellent to me too Smiley

"In a world whose only quarrel with instant gratification is that it takes too long, we are practitioners of a dying art: patience."
Abracabella
Deck Hand

All stars are there to shine!

« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2014, 11:40:49 am »

I am also new to leatherwork, but am now a bit obsessed!

I think this is absolutely beautiful and shows originality and appreciation of fine detailing. Please make some more things - you have a real talent for this!  Grin

Cogs and wheels and sprockets and springs
Metal and leather and beautiful things
Brass sculpted treasures, copper and lead
Your ideas are alive, though your century's dead

milamber
Deck Hand

« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2014, 01:22:40 pm »

Thank you so much - you are very kind. Not sure the 'fine detail' would stand up to close scrutiny, though. Some of the stitching is a little wonky in places Smiley

Just finishing my rocket pack, then I have a beautiful cream leather coat which will be violently dismembered in pursuit of the dream of a long leather frock coat. Not for me sadly - another addition to Julie's wardrobe.......Might need to take that one slowly, it's going to be a bit more ambitious.
Mme. Ratchet
Officer

« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2014, 08:56:37 am »

Looks decent enough, but I have a few gripes about the design. Were I to get in to a heated swordfight with her, I can see easily, without peeking or prying, at least 3-6 openings in it that could be exploited quite easily because they weren't protected. Looking a little closer, probably closer to 6.
Abracabella
Deck Hand

All stars are there to shine!

« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2014, 03:01:37 pm »

Looks decent enough, but I have a few gripes about the design. Were I to get in to a heated swordfight with her, I can see easily, without peeking or prying, at least 3-6 openings in it that could be exploited quite easily because they weren't protected. Looking a little closer, probably closer to 6.

The airship pirates in my city might have to agree! But, then again, they are drunk most of the time so might not be able to see straight through their clouded goggles!

I think it is a stunning piece and great effort!

Keep it up! Smiley
milamber
Deck Hand

« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2014, 03:11:00 pm »

To be honest most female armour is just for show and would offer little or no protection in the event of an actual fight. The piece I made is actually quite substantial compared with the chain mail bikinis and the like so beloved of fantasy games and teenage boys Smiley Hopefully the chances of her having to defend herself against swords in Lincoln or at any other meet are fairly remote.....
Otto Von Pifka
Zeppelin Admiral

goggles? they're here somewhere.....

« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2014, 09:43:13 am »

I like it except for the left shoulder being rather unprotected. as much as chainmaille can be overdone, a sleeve of chain starting on top of the shoulder could work nicely under the leather.

the last chain mail bikini I saw was on a slightly hirsute young lady, and it lacked any real cloth protection upstairs and the tiny triangle downstairs was coming up short. as a bearded man whose had numerous run-ins with vicious collar snaps, seeing all those hairs snaking through the chain made me cringe as I tried to make small talk. just her poor nipples tangled in the rings like a dead tommy caught in the barbed wire in no-mans land was painful looking enough. throw in a few nipple hairs (blonde, and we all know boys and girls both get them) and I could only be more uncomfortable if she was covered in spiders.

I had to excuse myself quickly and walk away, before the empathy made me scream out in pain. gives me the willies just remembering it, GAH!

uhg, brrrr...

oh, carry on! Cheesy

milamber
Deck Hand

« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2014, 11:58:34 am »

Actually I had made some chainmail for just that, but didn't like it when I held it up against the finished sleeve. Not sure why, might be that the rings were copper which looked great on their own, but perhaps not with the brown leather and brass fittings. Possibly the rings were slightly too large to look feminine as well. I might try a piece with smaller bronze rings.
Otto Von Pifka
Zeppelin Admiral

goggles? they're here somewhere.....

« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2014, 11:21:06 pm »

careful what you put under the chainmail, it can discolor from the metal rubbing against it.
Peter Brassbeard
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2014, 12:24:33 am »

If any one hasn't figured it out, typical female armor isn't about a physical barrier but messing with their opponents mind. Wink  For susceptible persons the effect on hitting straight, and their own defense, is comparable  to several shots of whiskey.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: