The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
December 15, 2017, 03:13:28 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Steampunk Cliches  (Read 2495 times)
GCCC
Zeppelin Admiral
United States United States

« Reply #25 on: August 31, 2014, 01:02:23 am »

Just Googled 'em. I think I tried "steampunk patches". I don't know for sure, but you might be able to link to them by clicking on the pictures I included.
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

"This is the sort of thing no-one ever believes"

rtafStElmo
« Reply #26 on: August 31, 2014, 01:22:06 am »

@MWBailey:

Agreed, but the thread did start out asking about cliche's, and gears, working or not, seem to be pretty much at the top of the list.

Contrary to my own comments above, for example, here are some examples of the motif that, while strictly non-functional, I find quite appealing:
For the cravat of the discerning gentleman: 
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
For the arm of the discerning regiment:
And so forth.

Point being, for every cliche' we can mention, whether we embrace them or reject them, I have so far failed to encounter anyone in the Steampunk community (myself included) who hasn't found at least one exception to the rules guiding their own tastes.

Still.

Walk softly and carry a big banjo...

""quid statis aspicientes in infernum"
Sludge Van Diesel
Zeppelin Captain
England England

SteampunkDJ.co.uk

« Reply #27 on: August 31, 2014, 11:11:45 pm »

3. The rather laughably erroneous idea that Steampunk is an offshoot of the punk movement, when in fact the term was coined to delineate a subgenre of literature - not music.
Amen to that!

Also the notion that dressing in a Steampunk way means that you have to be in character.  Balderdash!

Better to study for one hour with the wise, than to drink wine with the foolish

www.steampunkdj.co.uk  Please follow me on Twitter https://twitter.com/SteampunkDJ & Facebook https://www.facebook.com/steampunkdj
Vagabond GentleMan
Zeppelin Captain

Clockwork Sepia

« Reply #28 on: September 01, 2014, 07:07:48 pm »

Regarding 'in character':  Seconded.

In the States at least, Steampunk seems to have established itself as *mostly* about Cosplay, and thus Persona, affected accents, etc...that's a cliche that has affected the understanding of what Steampunk "is" in the common mind.  I move to dismiss.

Well that wolf has a dimber bonebox, and he'll flash it all milky and red.  But you won't see our Red Jack's spit, nug, cuz he's pinked ya, and yer dead.
Sludge Van Diesel
Zeppelin Captain
England England

SteampunkDJ.co.uk

« Reply #29 on: September 01, 2014, 08:24:30 pm »

Regarding 'in character':  Seconded.

In the States at least, Steampunk seems to have established itself as *mostly* about Cosplay, and thus Persona, affected accents, etc...that's a cliche that has affected the understanding of what Steampunk "is" in the common mind.  I move to dismiss.
You have an ally here.

It's a notion that I, on occasion, go out of my way to dispel.
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

"This is the sort of thing no-one ever believes"

rtafStElmo
« Reply #30 on: September 02, 2014, 04:17:07 am »

I only "do" accents in forum based  RP prose (except for snippets of dialogue between a british guitar player friend of mine and myself onstage or in practice sessions). As for "cosplay," I've always dressed more or less the way that I do, and it just happens to match the SP ethos or whatever you want to call it.

As for the sun helmet that I recently posted about, it's actually an item my doctor said I should adopt, for the purpose of shielding my face from the sun (as I take a prescription which has the side effect of making one's skin more susceptible than usual to UV damage). Apparently he thinks my "sahara" style pith (or my palmleaf sombrero - what else do you call a hat with am 8 1/2 inch wide brim?*) is insufficient for the task.

Yes, you read right, my doctor likes pith and sun helmets for their therapeutic/protective value. Go figure. Too, My eye doctor likes for me to do patch therapy.

I wear suspenders (braces, if you prefer) because they work better than just a belt with my body type.

Some folks may be doing cosplay. Me, I'm just wearing my regular clothes.

*that still sounds smaller than the reality. I'll have to measure it now and see, dangit Cheesy
« Last Edit: September 02, 2014, 05:01:57 am by MWBailey » Logged
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: