The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
December 18, 2017, 09:55:09 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Support BrassGoggles! Donate once or $3/mo.
 See details here.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: "Inventing the Victorians"  (Read 1133 times)
Ms. Madeline S. Brightley
Gunner
United States United States

Inventor, Artist, and Tea-Addict

« on: October 17, 2007, 05:42:18 pm »

Dear Friends:

I have recently borrowed a book from the local library that I think would interest members of this forum. It's called "Inventing the Victorians: What We Thing We Know About Them And Why We're Wrong" by Matthew Sweet. (published by Faber and Faber Limited in England, and St. Martin's Press in America) It is a book devoted to tearing down the preconceived notions that many of today's society hold about the Victorian Era's prudence, hypocracy and daily life, and highlights many of the inovations they contributed to the modern world. The writing falters in some places to be nothing more than counter-argument, but on the whole is an interesting read and works well coupled with other research if you are attempting to do an accurate portrayal of life in the nineteenth century.

-Madeline S. Brightley

"The truth is rarely pure and never simple. Modern life would be very tedious if it were either, and modern literature a complete impossibility!"
- The Importance of Being Earnest, Oscar Wilde
Rosel
Zeppelin Captain

Natural Historian, Bluestocking, Translatrix,

« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2007, 10:53:23 pm »

I really need to get around to reading this.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: