The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
December 13, 2017, 12:11:05 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Stop your pistols splitting.  (Read 855 times)
Rory B Esq BSc
Snr. Officer
United Kingdom United Kingdom

« on: July 30, 2014, 07:24:17 am »

As I'm sure several of you have learnt, wood tends to split along the grain which can be a problem when making pistols as there is a natural weakness there the part that goes in your hand meets the rest of it. OK this isn't as critical with a non-functional item as it doesn't have to deal with recoil forces etc but dropping it onto a hard surface while oiling the wood to bring up the grain and make it look good can still result in disaster.

The way to avoid this (short of cutting and seasoning the wood yourself from where a branch starts to get grain that follows the angle you want) is to drill a hole vertically through the mart you hold and insert something to hold it together. On a working pistol this takes the form of a long bolt from the tang at the end of the barrel to a metal plate at the bottom of the grip / stock / butt (select the word used in your country).

For the non-firing ones we are more likely to make a dowel will suffice. Drill a hole the same diameter as the dowel through it, smear some glue onto the dowel and tap it home (10 mm or so dowel is enough) and now it is reinforced with a piece of wood running through it who's grain is at right angles so won't break into two pieces if it's dropped.  If the butt is angled at say 45 degrees then drill the hole at that angle. You can now shape it as you want without any risk of it breaking.

I hope you find this tip useful.
Keith_Beef
Snr. Officer
France France

« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2014, 09:23:27 am »

As I'm sure several of you have learnt, wood tends to split along the grain which can be a problem when making pistols as there is a natural weakness there the part that goes in your hand meets the rest of it. OK this isn't as critical with a non-functional item as it doesn't have to deal with recoil forces etc but dropping it onto a hard surface while oiling the wood to bring up the grain and make it look good can still result in disaster.

The way to avoid this (short of cutting and seasoning the wood yourself from where a branch starts to get grain that follows the angle you want) is to drill a hole vertically through the mart you hold and insert something to hold it together. On a working pistol this takes the form of a long bolt from the tang at the end of the barrel to a metal plate at the bottom of the grip / stock / butt (select the word used in your country).

For the non-firing ones we are more likely to make a dowel will suffice. Drill a hole the same diameter as the dowel through it, smear some glue onto the dowel and tap it home (10 mm or so dowel is enough) and now it is reinforced with a piece of wood running through it who's grain is at right angles so won't break into two pieces if it's dropped.  If the butt is angled at say 45 degrees then drill the hole at that angle. You can now shape it as you want without any risk of it breaking.

A good tip, thanks.

Another way of strengthening this part of a curved piece is to cut out a slot using a saw and to glue a fillet of another wood into the slot. This can also be used as a decorative effect, by using a wood of a contrasting colour. This technique, as well as strengthening with a dowel, is described around page 51 of  the Stickmaking Handbook.

--
Keith
CPT_J_Percell
Board Moderator
Zeppelin Captain
England England

The werewolf Airship Captain.

« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2014, 05:47:07 pm »

Ah the joys of green wood or non seasoned wood.
thanks for the tip.
I have 3 pieces of cherry wood in my shed seasoning, currently the 3/4 months old and from a cherry blossom the fell down

I suffer from a random misfiring synapse and a bad case of wolfen the turns me into a seven-foot-tall werewolf or a seven-foot great wolf!
https://dragon-rehoming-centre.myshopify.com/
http://purbry.wordpress.com
Otto Von Pifka
Zeppelin Admiral
United States United States

goggles? they're here somewhere.....

« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2014, 01:25:25 am »

I thought it said "spitting".

only thing spitting is me when I go "PEW, PEW, PEW!!!"  Cheesy

when I want a lanyard or pommel on a grip, I epoxy in a very long threaded rod or screw, to make it all good, doesn't even have to fit well as long as you get enough glue in to fill the gap around it.
Rory B Esq BSc
Snr. Officer
United Kingdom United Kingdom

« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2014, 01:36:34 pm »

Sorry about all the 'typo's', I was being attacked by a mad moggy who wanted attention and fuss.
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord
United States United States

"This is the sort of thing no-one ever believes"

rtafStElmo
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2014, 03:12:28 am »

Gotta watch out fer them moggies! (What's a moggie? Pardon my ignorance)

Walk softly and carry a big banjo...

""quid statis aspicientes in infernum"
MarcusJuliusCroft
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2014, 03:14:54 am »

Gotta watch out fer them moggies! (What's a moggie? Pardon my ignorance)

Cat?  I am pretty sure that's the terminology

I am what I am because I am, an Entrepreneur, Villain, Student and Mastermind
CPT_J_Percell
Board Moderator
Zeppelin Captain
England England

« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2014, 08:25:08 pm »

Sorry about all the 'typo's', I was being attacked by a mad moggy who wanted attention and fuss.
Get a dog, the medium to biguns don't try climbing up onto the keyboard
von Corax
Squire of the Lambda Calculus
Immortal
Canada Canada

Prof. Darwin Prætorius von Corax

« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2014, 03:59:09 am »

You're obviously unfamiliar with dogs. Tongue

By the power of caffeine do I set my mind in motion
By the Beans of Life do my thoughts acquire speed
My hands acquire a shaking
The shaking becomes a warning
By the power of caffeine do I set my mind in motion
The Leverkusen Institute of Paleocybernetics is 5838 km from Reading
CPT_J_Percell
Board Moderator
Zeppelin Captain
England England

« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2014, 02:03:20 pm »

You're obviously unfamiliar with dogs. Tongue

TSK, someone needs a vista from cesar (or what ever the dog whisperer's name is).
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: