The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
December 14, 2017, 03:16:48 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Support BrassGoggles! Donate once or $3/mo.
 See details here.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: welding onto a ring ?  (Read 653 times)
4_0_4
Snr. Officer
Sweden Sweden

Hi Forest , hows Fanny?

« on: July 29, 2014, 04:16:36 pm »

how difficult would it be to weld a banana plug ( 2mm ) onto to a ring like this ?

Would it need to be screwed in ( I assume so ) for stability and therefore more like those sextoys you see - much like this ?

Next question - same question but with a rod - 4- 10 mm / maybe 4 - 6 " in length

" You can lose every battle except that last " Sir Malcolm , Penny Dreadful
Prof Thadeus Q. Wychlock
Zeppelin Admiral
United Kingdom United Kingdom

What Watt ?!

« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2014, 04:57:19 pm »

Good heavens sir !!!!

You must give a chap a warning or at least a sly wink before exposure to such ........ er.......erm ........ "things"

*sits down reaching for the brandy*

"In a world whose only quarrel with instant gratification is that it takes too long, we are practitioners of a dying art: patience."
Hektor Plasm
Zeppelin Captain
United Kingdom United Kingdom

All-Round Oddfellow.

« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2014, 06:16:08 pm »

Hmm- how big are those rings? I see they are splints for hypermobility, but a quick glance does not indicate for which body parts, or the materials you are interested in- silver?
The technique will depend on these factors; perhaps hard soldering, rather than welding.

I'm sure it can be done. ( Fairly...)

HP

"all die! o, the embarrassment."
H Plasm Esq. ICUE    Avatar by and with kind permission of Dr Geof. Ta!!

Some musings:-
http://hektorplasm.blogspot.co.uk/
Drew P
Zeppelin Admiral
United States United States

« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2014, 11:56:20 pm »

Some banana plugs are 2 piece units. Would it be feasible to'sandwhich' the ring between them and then solder?

Never ask 'Why?'
Always ask 'Why not!?'
von Corax
Squire of the Lambda Calculus
Immortal
Canada Canada

Prof. Darwin Prætorius von Corax

« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2014, 01:46:06 am »

Will it need to be worn afterwards? And if so, do I want to know how it'll be worn?

I see that some of them are nickel silver (actually a type of brass containing nickel) which AIUI solders well; it's the preferred rail material among model railroaders because of its silvery colour and because the surface oxide is electrically conductive.

By the power of caffeine do I set my mind in motion
By the Beans of Life do my thoughts acquire speed
My hands acquire a shaking
The shaking becomes a warning
By the power of caffeine do I set my mind in motion
The Leverkusen Institute of Paleocybernetics is 5838 km from Reading
Keith_Beef
Snr. Officer
France France

« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2014, 09:33:00 am »

Will it need to be worn afterwards? And if so, do I want to know how it'll be worn?

I see that some of them are nickel silver (actually a type of brass containing nickel) which AIUI solders well; it's the preferred rail material among model railroaders because of its silvery colour and because the surface oxide is electrically conductive.

Nickel silver? I really doubt that. Recently (like, in the last three years, I think) introduced EU rules say that you can't use nickel-bearing alloys like that in applications where the metal is, or is likely to be, in contact with the skin for prolonged periods; this is to avoid allergic reactions.

Looking at one of the splint descriptions, the two finishes proposed are nickel-free red brass and 925 silver.

Both of these are easy to solder to.

--
Keith
von Corax
Squire of the Lambda Calculus
Immortal
Canada Canada

Prof. Darwin Prætorius von Corax

« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2014, 09:47:46 am »

Nickel silver? I really doubt that. Recently (like, in the last three years, I think) introduced EU rules say that you can't use nickel-bearing alloys like that in applications where the metal is, or is likely to be, in contact with the skin for prolonged periods; this is to avoid allergic reactions.

Looking at one of the splint descriptions, the two finishes proposed are nickel-free red brass and 925 silver.

Both of these are easy to solder to.

Last I checked, Oklahoma wasn't part of the EU, and the description for this one specifically states, "German silver (contains nickel.)" German silver is another name for nickel silver. Most of the thumb splints are available in nickel silver as well.

That particular niggle aside, it appears that most, if not all, versions of these products are easy to solder, which is really the answer to the question the OP actually asked.
4_0_4
Snr. Officer
Sweden Sweden

Hi Forest , hows Fanny?

« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2014, 11:44:57 pm »

Good heavens sir !!!!

You must give a chap a warning or at least a sly wink before exposure to such ........ er.......erm ........ "things"

*sits down reaching for the brandy*

Tongue
4_0_4
Snr. Officer
Sweden Sweden

Hi Forest , hows Fanny?

« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2014, 11:47:09 pm »

its for my fingers so yes to be worn

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: