The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
October 22, 2017, 01:48:37 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Support BrassGoggles! Donate once or $3/mo.
 See details here.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: what makes you want to kick yourself?  (Read 1204 times)
Rory B Esq BSc
Snr. Officer
United Kingdom United Kingdom

« on: July 25, 2014, 07:00:29 pm »

Maybe it's 'middle age crisis' (50 in a couple of weeks) but recently I've been kicking myself over things I could have bought years ago for 'pocket money prices' and now would get a big profit'
Here's my list of missed opportunities....

Traction engines in hedgerows we used to climb over as kids
Mamod steam engines.
Art nouvelle...before it came back into fashion.
Zulu war uniforms.
'Brown Bess' muskets.
Early aircraft parts.
Period clothing.
Top hats (£10 each).
goggles.

Britishsteampunkworks
Gunner

« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2014, 08:33:24 pm »

Lambretta & Vespa scooters, now worth a mint, enamel advertising signs also like gold dust!

Where there's brass, it gets mucky.
akumabito
Immortal
Netherlands Netherlands

Mundus Patria Nostra!

« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2014, 08:47:31 pm »

Prices for classic cars have skyrocketed over the last 15 years or so.. When I just got my license, I wanted to buy a Karmann Ghia. They were pretty affordable back then. Right now, you're lucky to find a half-decent one for under 5k.

MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord
United States United States

"This is the sort of thing no-one ever believes"

rtafStElmo
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2014, 08:43:30 am »

Banjos that only cost around $100, and are now going for nearly five grand (Mastertones).

Walk softly and carry a big banjo...

""quid statis aspicientes in infernum"
Siliconous Skumins
Server Monk
Governor
Rogue Ætherlord

« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2014, 04:53:58 pm »

Misplacing (as in totally lost a long time ago) a cheap toy character from the Disney movie "The blackhole" I had when I was young:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

...and which is now VERY RARE and worth a crap-load of money.  Sad

Also chucking away a load of boxes about 15 or 20 years ago, including those from a couple of now VERY collectable toys I still own - one of which (Palitoy Talking K9) the box alone is worth around £600 in good condition. 

I still have K9, and unlike most of them that still exist, mine works. Still, it's value is around £300, so not all bad.

The other is the “Star Wars Laser Pistol” (Han Solo’s blaster):

I still have the blaster, and it still works. It's even in fairly good condition, although I seem to have lost one of the grey plastic 'dial' locks that close the battery compartment. Worth around £30 - £50, box alone is worth around £30 in good condition.

[Server Prayer]
Abracabella
Deck Hand

All stars are there to shine!

« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2014, 06:49:00 pm »

My dad is into Mamod steam engines, but I want him to buy a full size one!

I agree with the points made earlier! It is a shame that everything we want is so expensive. I wanted a giant wasp, so I'm making one - I think that is the beauty of us Steampunks, we just make what we desire! Smiley

Cogs and wheels and sprockets and springs
Metal and leather and beautiful things
Brass sculpted treasures, copper and lead
Your ideas are alive, though your century's dead

RJBowman
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2014, 07:07:18 pm »

I wanted giant wasps, so I gathered wasp larva from a nest, ordered the chemicals, and in a few months I had them.
Abracabella
Deck Hand

All stars are there to shine!

« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2014, 08:21:02 pm »

I wanted giant wasps, so I gathered wasp larva from a nest, ordered the chemicals, and in a few months I had them.

Am I right in thinking your Steamsona is a mad scientist?
RJBowman
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2014, 12:26:15 am »

There is a book that i saw in an antique store when I was fifteen, before steampunk was a thing. It was written circa 1920, and was about the lives of a group of children living 100 years in the future. Illustrations showed the children in winged flying suits, and the caption under one illustration said that their mother would radio them when dinner was ready. I can not remember the title, and have never seen another copy since.

There was also an old electrical experimenters' manual at my local library, written circa 1930, that contained detailed instructions with photos for the construction of electrical apparatus that Tesla would not have been ashamed of, requiring parts like model-t spark coils and glass photographic plates. I moved to another town when I was thirteen, then moved back when I was nineteen, and discovered that a new library had been built, and many books that had been judged to be out-of-date had been discarded. I have never stolen from a library, but I wish that I had stolen that book. I have never seen any as good as that one.
Hurricane Annie
Zeppelin Captain
New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2014, 03:42:28 am »

Claris Cliff tea sets  at throw away prices in the 2nd hand shops
 Barley twist  lamp stands dumped  in the  annual inorganic council rubbish piles.
childhood knick nacks given away  that are now collectors items
rod-on
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2014, 04:39:39 am »

My hobby is trying to recreate the experiments from the 18 & early 1900's, when high tech was shed tech, you could make just about anything in your shed then.  Alas now the materials are very hard to find, the tech that existed in every town was phenomenal compared to what we have today.  Try to get sulpher to coat a voltaic pile, or something a simple as knurled thumb nuts today.  If I could have, or knew what I want/need now I would have a stockpile of analog parts, brass connectors, old bulbs, valves, radio's, telegraph parts, early phones .... the list is endless.  Stuff we threw out or discarded as kids!
pakled
Zeppelin Captain
United States United States

Minions Local 305, at your thervice!

« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2014, 05:44:11 am »

my grandmother's 1890 Martin mandolin, which as young kid-types, we totally trashed...Pete Townsend style. What that would be worth today...

The longer the life, the longer the list of regrets...Wink
Rory B Esq BSc
Snr. Officer

« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2014, 02:07:09 pm »

Not forgetting the amazing vehicles scattered around local farms, in barns or hedgerows, a couple of penny farthings, a horse drawn caravan with about 200 'medicine' bottles (snake oil and patent medicines anybody)? a dozen DUKWs from D Day (complete with a similar volume of spare parts), A steam crane and so on.

I really should have bought some 'Norden' bombsights when they were in Exchange and Mart...hundreds of cogs in each one. And a few Sidewinder missile rocket motors when they were £25 each, Would make a great 'rocket pack' .... Doh !!!

Don't get me started on Books... If I'd kept them all I'd need a home with at least 3 more rooms (some are now in museum collections), and I even bought a 'replacement copy' of one online only to find it was the one I owned years before.

I once had a chance of a Vampire jet trainer for £300, but had nowhere to put it.

And the year after I finished my degree they re-fitted one of the labs and the 3 students who volunteered to help could take anything they wanted as it was all just going into a skip.... now that was just criminal !
Lord Pentecost
Snr. Officer

« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2014, 07:12:57 pm »

And the year after I finished my degree they re-fitted one of the labs and the 3 students who volunteered to help could take anything they wanted as it was all just going into a skip.... now that was just criminal !

I know what you mean, while I was at school they re-fitted all the science labs (3 floors of them), they took out all the hardwood fittings one lab at a time piled them in a skip and burned them. All the labs were refitted with melamine coated chipboard. One of those things that is basically just vandalism by another name!

"A lot of people never use their initiative because no-one told them to" - Banksy
inigo jameson-gatling
Officer
Iceland Iceland

lofthussar

« Reply #14 on: August 10, 2014, 12:39:50 pm »

Not very steampunk I know but I always hankered after a Lancia Stratos. GBP5000,- to you new and now if you got change from GBP250000,- you would be doing well.

You cannot complain about the sky if you suffer airshipwreck for the second time.
Captain Lyerly
Zeppelin Overlord
Ukraine Ukraine

At the helm of the Frumious Bandersnatch

« Reply #15 on: August 25, 2014, 02:27:21 am »

I don't know what happened to it.  But it was my great-grandfather's walking stick.  Sterling top, heavy and it felt good in the hand.  It had his name and address on it, at the old house on Oak Street with the cannons out front that my great-uncle Z gifted to the university before it was born.

The name on it?

Captain Charles A. Lyerly

Cry

Captain Sir Charles A. Lyerly, O.B.T.
Soldier of Fortune and Gentleman Adventurer
wire: captain_lyerly, at wire office "Yahoo dot Qom"

"You'd think he'd learn."
"Heh! De best minions neffer do!"
RJBowman
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #16 on: August 25, 2014, 04:12:36 pm »

One time I was at the University of Michigan Deposition Depo, which is like a thrift shop for equipment that the university is getting rid of. They were selling a spin-casting furnace for something like $300, which I didn't have that day.
Kieranfoy
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

Wot's a personal text?

« Reply #17 on: August 25, 2014, 05:13:57 pm »

Time I refrained from buyng a cheap antique doorknob for a cane because I didn't have anything to make the shaft, and found materials for the shaft the next day.

Did I say time? Times. Plural.

Gah.

Toll the Great Bell Once!
Pull the Lever forward to engage the
Piston and Pump...

Toll the Great Bell Twice!
With push of Button fire the Engine
And spark Turbine into life...

Toll the Great Bell Thrice!
Sing Praise to the
God of All Machines!
Atterton
Time Traveler

Only The Shadow knows

« Reply #18 on: August 26, 2014, 11:07:53 pm »

I could have bought an old  book about the aether, previously owned by Niels Bohr.

Resurrectionist and freelance surgeon.
Atterton
Time Traveler

Only The Shadow knows

« Reply #19 on: December 24, 2014, 11:48:11 pm »

I managed to get the book.  Grin
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: