The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
November 24, 2017, 02:58:24 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Infection: 1885  (Read 5561 times)
Stormcat
Officer
United States United States

Sir Whiskers, Lord High Mouser and Royal lapwarmer

« Reply #25 on: August 04, 2014, 12:07:49 am »

"Such a waste" said Elizabeth as she helped herself to the jeweled pocket watch. She also picked up the derringer, better to have another weapon, even if she didn't know how to shoot. How hard could it be? Pull trigger, bullets come out.

The party ventured into the relative safety of the attic room. "so, onto the rooftops?" she asked.

Steampunk Away
Zeppelin Captain

Long Live The Icarus!

https://twitter.com/Steam
« Reply #26 on: August 04, 2014, 12:46:35 am »

"Unless you want to become london broil, than yes to the rooftops,"

Jebediah pulled himself through a hole in the roof and reached a hand to help the two others.

"Now get your lady like self up here."

Welcome aboard Steampunk Away! We are a small custom order shop, creating jewelry, props, costumes, drawings, and models. Email us at steampunkaway@gmail.com to have us create your special order on commission! Have a mechanical day!
Stormcat
Officer

« Reply #27 on: August 05, 2014, 03:34:53 am »

Elizabeth let herself be lifted onto the roof. It was quite the maze up here, tenement after tenement seemed to stretch onto the horizon. "If we don't move soon, we'll be roasted. But which way do we go?"
Steampunk Away
Zeppelin Captain

Long Live The Icarus!

« Reply #28 on: August 05, 2014, 04:28:52 am »

"North, out of the city, less infected in the country-side and more resources,"

Jebediah extended his hand to the man still in the room,

"Coming or not."
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

"This is the sort of thing no-one ever believes"

rtafStElmo
« Reply #29 on: August 05, 2014, 09:17:17 am »

Bourne looked at the proferred hand. He'd lost not just a few friends but hundreds, all his comrades in arms, and all to a series of decisions that had seemed ludicrous at the time and proved to be exactly that. More than a few people since then had tried to put one over on him or suddenly turned cannibal and tried to eat his face or some other part of him. In the end he decided to take a chance one more time, and accepted and gripped the hand, allowing himself to be helped up onto the roof. "Thanks," he said tersely. "You wants to go North." he said. "Fine. Just be careful o' loose shales and tiles and shingles, hey? And beware of chimney pots, they pop loose awful easy. I've got a rope, but it won't help much if you break a leg."

Trust 'em as far as you dare, he thought. One more time...

Walk softly and carry a big banjo...

""quid statis aspicientes in infernum"
Steampunk Away
Zeppelin Captain

Long Live The Icarus!

« Reply #30 on: August 05, 2014, 04:32:42 pm »

Jebediah lept from the current house that was ablaze. He landed with a solid thud on the next building, rolling into the landing.

"Hurry now, y'all only got a few minutes left."
Stormcat
Officer

« Reply #31 on: August 06, 2014, 12:25:36 am »

Elizabeth carefully crossed the rooftop. Though she was quite agile from her years as a dancer, she still didn't want to accidentally slip off the roof. "What's up north anyway?"
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

rtafStElmo
« Reply #32 on: August 06, 2014, 04:00:33 am »

Bourne skipped across with an agility that belied his age; Air Marines tended to get lots of practice in jumping over horrific abysses, and the distance to the ground here, while a bit high compared to the ground itself was a piffling trifle to someone who'd frequently boarded enemy vessels via grapnel line a mile or more in the sky. The cleats on his boots grabbed the shingles at this feet, keeping him from sliding all over the place.

"I'd suggest we keep goin' 'til the roofs run out." He glanced at the sun; it was still before noon, just barely. "We should be able to make the outskirts by dark," he added.
Steampunk Away
Zeppelin Captain

Long Live The Icarus!

« Reply #33 on: August 06, 2014, 05:37:16 am »

"North is away from the city, away from the city means less people, less people means less zombies," Jebediah jumped to the second to last roof and went through with a crash. He was pinned to the attic floor with no way to defend himself.

Please, please, please let there be no ghouls Jebediah thought.

He looked around and was astonished to see...

An armory...

2 rifles, 3 pistols, and 6 knives.

Apparently the London police had attempted to contain the infection to the city, and failed.
Stormcat
Officer

« Reply #34 on: August 06, 2014, 05:55:40 am »

Elizabeth hopped over to her fallen companion. "You alright?"

She saw the armory, but couldn't make heads or tails of it. She knew this was an impressive collection, yet she did not know which bullet went with which gun. still, she figured she needed bullets for her Derringer. She called out, "which o' these bullets do I use?"
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

rtafStElmo
« Reply #35 on: August 07, 2014, 02:14:02 am »

Bourne could hardly believe his eyes; there was an airship off in the distance...but he didn't like the way it wallowed along through the sky, and it both listed to port and hung out of trim at the stern. the cacophony of her engines also sounded somehow distorted and a bit out of time; she seemed to have gone through a battle. with a shock, he recognized her bow escutcheon: it was the Redoubtable, the second of the Piccadilly Sortie's ships to be pulled down by the mob of infected. She was travelling away from the house he and his newfound companions were currently looting, so he figured as long as the lookouts (if there were any) didn't see him, they should be alright.

He climbed down, and said to Elizabeth, "don't go lookin' out, tha's th' sound of a crippled airship. She's one o' th' ones the mob pulled down in Piccadilly. I kind of suspect from the way she's ridin' the air, there's a crew, if you call it that, of infected aboard- and she's not long for the air, I think." He stepped over to Jebediah, and took a look at his predicament. "Nothing what can't be took care of, 'ere," he said, and began pulling boards out of the general tangle. "There, can you move now?"
Stormcat
Officer

« Reply #36 on: August 07, 2014, 02:30:06 am »

though much weaker than Mister Bourne, Elizabeth helped her companion lift off the boards. "since we got weapons right here, I say we stock up. Might need them."

"I've heard up north there's an airship field. If we can operate one, I think we might be able to escape to france. Heard a French fellow by the name of 'Pasteur' was working on some kind of cure."
Steampunk Away
Zeppelin Captain

Long Live The Icarus!

« Reply #37 on: August 07, 2014, 02:49:40 am »

"Yea, I'm good now," Jebediah stood up and took one of the knives and one of the pistols.

There seems to be about 500 rounds here. Your derringer shoots the same as that Queen Anne on the wall, so take this box of 100 for both.
He hands her the box.

"Me and the Sarge here will take the rifles. Do you want the Sharp or the Martini-Henry? There is about 150 rounds for each, and then 50 rounds for the other pistols."
Stormcat
Officer

« Reply #38 on: August 07, 2014, 02:56:37 am »

"Oof! this ammo is heavy!" said Elizabeth as she loaded the boxes in with her canned rations. She grabbed two extra knives as well.
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

rtafStElmo
« Reply #39 on: August 07, 2014, 03:16:54 am »

"The Martini," Rafe said. "It's what we 'ad at Piccadilly (I still 'ave me bayonet), before th' colonel told us ta drop 'em and use bayonets an' swords only. Turned out to not make a lot o' difference," he nattered on as he checked the rifle  "Volley fire might've saved us, but that's 'indsight, I guess. Beware of heroic bloody gentry officers." He added, "Not what it matters, but I'm a leftenant by field promotion. 'Course, all that's just tomfoolery now, I suppose. Won' even buy me a pint anyplace."

He broke open a wooden ammo crate with the rifle butt and sliced the foil seal with the utility blade from the khukri's sheath. He then filled the pouches on his cartridge bandolier. "I gots a hunnerd rounds in me pack, but I'll take whats left here." He grabbed what looked like a flour sack and put the remaining rounds into it, unslung his pack, and stowed the bag in it. He added a bottle of gun oil, a tin of bore grease and a bottlebrush bore cleaner with a rag loop on the other end, and a box of rounds for his pistol, which he put into the cartridge pouches on his pistol harness. "I'm set, 'less there's a ration store."
« Last Edit: August 07, 2014, 05:21:14 am by MWBailey » Logged
Steampunk Away
Zeppelin Captain

Long Live The Icarus!

« Reply #40 on: August 07, 2014, 04:40:12 am »

Jebediah put the two remaining knives in his belt and moved to the door,

"Trick I learned," he said, before knocking on the door, "No moans, lets go."

Jebediah opened the door and saw a cell block, filled with dead bodies, and immediately held his shirt to his nose and mouth.
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

rtafStElmo
« Reply #41 on: August 07, 2014, 05:33:14 am »

He slung his pack on his back, pulled the bayonet from the scabbard in his boot,  fixed it  on the lug that the rifle was fitted with, and stalked forward in mop-up mode. "Bloody-!" Bourne said in disgust as the stink washed in like a tide. He was more or less used to climbing over dead bodies (it was what infantry and marines did, more often than not, after all), so that wasn't much of a bother. What did worry him was that the ghouls sometimes played possum. "Been rotters fer a few days, smells like," he muttered. "Be careful, sometimes they lie doggo and then try ta grab ya."
Stormcat
Officer

« Reply #42 on: August 07, 2014, 05:37:18 am »

Elizabeth coughed several times, trying to downplay the urge to vomit. "Back to the roofs!" she managed to cry out. at least from there they would be safe from this stink.
Steampunk Away
Zeppelin Captain

Long Live The Icarus!

« Reply #43 on: August 07, 2014, 03:44:12 pm »

"No good," Jebediah stated, "To weak. We go through here and make it to the streets. Make a dead sprint for the edge of the city."
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

rtafStElmo
« Reply #44 on: August 08, 2014, 12:09:17 am »

"The streets, you say? Interesting idea, sprinting, makes a lot o' noise, attracts lots of attention, gets you winded and light 'eaded; last time I saw somebody try that, they were mobbed and eaten inside of three blocks," Bourne said somewhat truculently. "if it's the streets, better go slow an' keep yer eyes open. The way I got all th' way 'ere from Piccadilly was varyin' my route, avoidin' the places where the rotters were likely to be." Bourne did not like the idea of chopping his way to the countryside, which seemed to him much more likely if they tried to run through the streets.
Stormcat
Officer

« Reply #45 on: August 08, 2014, 10:22:40 pm »

"I say we still grab a dirigible and escape to france." Said Elizabeth. "Unfortunately, it looks like we'll still have to use the streets from now on if we can't climb across the roof. Shall we head on down?"
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

rtafStElmo
« Reply #46 on: August 09, 2014, 09:25:19 pm »

"I kin 'elp with the airship stuff, I'm nobody's excuse for a pilot, but I've been posted on bridge duty, and they showed me 'ow just in case.

We can either use the rope to descend outside, or forge through this buildin', " Bourne said. "Which d' you prefer, kid?"
Steampunk Away
Zeppelin Captain

Long Live The Icarus!

« Reply #47 on: August 10, 2014, 03:17:50 am »

"Forge through...not liking heights anymore," Jebediah stated, drawing his bhuj from its sheath.

steamcowboy92
Snr. Officer

I work for money. You want loyalty get a dog.

« Reply #48 on: August 10, 2014, 06:16:57 pm »

Stalkinh through the darkness of the seemingly abandoned building, James held his surgical kit clutched tight to his chest as he tiptoed about, scrounging for whatever seeminhly useful baubles he could find. His long black opera cape breaking up his outline in the dark as he moved quietly, trying not to attract the lurkers attention. He'd already killed one in the lobby of the building on the way in. A sharp blow from the business end of his truncheon had caved in the side of the monsters head, its lead weighted end crushing the lurkers skull like an eggshell. The big Adams revolver sat heavily on his hip, but he didnt want to give away his position and the the snub nosed revolver made a rather loud racket when it went off
« Last Edit: August 12, 2014, 09:43:07 pm by steamcowboy92 » Logged

I will kill you however I can , wherever I can, with whatever I have. You will regret ever making me decide to take action. -William W. Johnstone.
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

rtafStElmo
« Reply #49 on: August 13, 2014, 08:18:49 am »

Far off within the as yet unknown depths of the police building, Bourne heard a sound he'd heard a few times before; the unmistakable crunching thud that almost always accompanied a crushing blow to a human cranium. He stole as silently as he could manage down the row of cells, and tried the door at the far end of the jail hall, finding it locked. HE thought about using the blade of teh socket bayonet to jimmy the door, but decided against it. An idea came to mind.

"I don't suppose somebody's got a thin piece o' metal on 'em? Only we could use a lockpick o' sorts. But quiet like," he said in a subdued voice, "I think I hear somebody movin' around downstairs..."
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: