The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
November 23, 2017, 02:44:39 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Infection: 1885  (Read 5551 times)
Stormcat
Officer
United States United States

Sir Whiskers, Lord High Mouser and Royal lapwarmer

« on: July 22, 2014, 11:37:57 pm »

The London fog only seemed to make the desolate streets bleaker. Elizabeth knew that despite appearances, she had to stay sharp for the telltale signs of a plague-bearer. That sickening smell of decay was everywhere, but Elizabeth was more concerned with the sounds the plauge-bearers made. Sometimes they made noises similar to that of a human survivor, but Elizabeth was smart. She knew that it was highly unlikely for there to be any other human left in London, or quite possibly the world.

MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

"This is the sort of thing no-one ever believes"

rtafStElmo
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2014, 05:09:48 am »

Bourne craned his head furtively over the edge of the flat rooftop of the tenement building. The fog all around him was the typical soup-thick stuff that made identification of anything more than a couple of feet away well nigh impossible, but he looked anyway. He might not be able to see with his eyes, but he could hear just fine, and the sound of something on two legs walking and trying to be quiet about it still echoed up from the street below. Years in India, the Hindu Kush, and on the borders of Tibet and Nepal had honed his senses. He could tell that this was someone who was either not infected or not very long infected by the way that the footfalls, allbeit uneven as they seemed to skirt rubble and debris, seemed also deliberate and pre-planned; no slippiing on unnoticed glass or wood, or the stop-skip-thud-scrapescrape of a person tripping stupidly over an obstacle.

Heading out of town, sounds like, Bourne thought. Sounds like they're carrying a bit of weight, maybe a corpse, or supplies, he mused. He thought about the ladder he'd pulled up behind him as he climbed onto the roof. A survivor would be seeking shelter, but there was no shelter up here, other than the cut-off mode of entry and the lee of a chimney with a section  of wood decking,  left over from the latest attempt to seal the top of the building against the rain, leant against it.he chucked the ration tins back into his pack, kicked teh fire over, scattering the coals into a puddle of scuzzy water in a low spot on the roof, and shouldefred the pack, making sure he had all his weapons amnd kit on his person, and lowered the ladder back down through the roofhatch and to to the floor below, and clambered down. The passage through the semi-ruined building was uneventful, and soon he was trailing that sound of a measured, careful tread through the streets, keeping well back while keeping an eye out for the Infected. At the least, he thought, I kin get the person's supplies if they gets nabbed in front of me. Such was the savage he'd already become, he mused only somewhat guiltily as he continued on...

Walk softly and carry a big banjo...

""quid statis aspicientes in infernum"
Stormcat
Officer

« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2014, 12:58:46 am »

Something told Elizabeth to look up. Though she could barely see through the fog, she was able to make out the shape of a human lying prone across one of the rooftops. He, she, or it must not be infected if they had the dexterity to climb across the rooftops. She debated wether or not to contact this person, as she was unsure if they were a bandit or a possible ally. Still, they were the first untainted human Elizabeth had seen in nearly a week. She decided to look into the building beneath it, for possible supplies or even shelter for the night.

Elizabeth hated the slums, but now the remains of the poor people's homes could yield some useful supplies. In a sense they were even better than the wealthier neighborhoods, as she did not have to fight her way through multiple rooms to find what she needed. On the ground floor, Elizabeth's ears detected the moaning of a group of the infected. They were getting closer. Elizabeth hurried up the ramshackle stairs to find shelter.
Steampunk Away
Zeppelin Captain

Long Live The Icarus!

https://twitter.com/Steam
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2014, 01:24:12 am »

Jebediah wiped off the blade of his Bhuj while standing atop a mound of infected corpses. He counted 19, all the infected in the medium sized home. Having finished cleaning his blade, it put it back in its sheath and moved up the stairs to the second floor. The only door open was led to a little girl's room, painted in pink. He picked up a journal that and started reading. He had become so invested in the journal that he hadn't heard the shuffling and moan of the undead until it was nearly on top of him. he barely managed to implant his knife into its brain before it had him. Pushing the body off of him and removing his knife, he put the journal in his bandolier and took tom the rooftops. Perhaps from there he could find a way out of the city.

Welcome aboard Steampunk Away! We are a small custom order shop, creating jewelry, props, costumes, drawings, and models. Email us at steampunkaway@gmail.com to have us create your special order on commission! Have a mechanical day!
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

rtafStElmo
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2014, 03:57:26 am »

Brave, Bourne thought. Who knows what kinda ghouls're in there. He'd begun calling then that after he'd seen a pair of them fight over a corpse. Insanely, a spark of concern, and perhaps the last shred of a sense of duty, sprang to light in his head or wherever such things come from. Maybe I'd better shadow in just in case they find summat. He crept up to the building the person (he thought it looked like they wore a dress, so odds were it was a woman, a young shapely one at that) had just entered, Drawing the khukri silently, he moved through the ground floor, wary as a spooked wolf, careful not to call out lest he attract the "ghouls" or whatever they had become.
Stormcat
Officer

« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2014, 04:57:35 am »

Stealing had become second nature to Elizabeth ever since the infection started. Jewels, food, money, she could take all she could carry. She doubted that these tenements held anything of value or use, but she was intrigued by the shadow she had seen on the roof. this figure, if it was indeed human, might be able to help her. "Help" was the wrong term here. Elizabeth was doing alright on her own. Sure, some additional firepower would be useful, but Elizabeth wasn't the charitable sort of person. She would use this to her advantage and nothing more.

She mounted the rickety stairs towards the top floor. If she was unable to find company, at least she would be able to get a decent vantage point. The moans of the infected had become louder.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2014, 04:59:50 am by Stormcat » Logged
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

rtafStElmo
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2014, 06:08:23 am »

A creak on the stairs caught his attention. Bloody--! he thought. And I left the damn ladder down, too! He hilt-twirled the khukri a couple of times and increased his gait silently, thinking it was an infected on the stairs. Quick run up be'ind, take th' 'ead off, an' i's all over, he mused feverishly, then changed his mind as he saw it was the figure in the dress; she - assuming it was a female - didn't act like an infected, but then some of the newly turned ones didn't either. He hissed sharply but at low volume, khukri held at neutral ready just in case she suddenly went feral on him -- and suddenly whirled around and chopped halfway through the midriff of an infected that charged up behind him. The thing went down with a low moan. "Bloody bastards. You OK, miss?" he said in a low voice lest there were others about, "Only I've met a lot o' them what seemed right but wasn't, if ya know what I mean." Again, he stood ready, khukri held down but ready, and revolver in hand, just in case she went berserk or whipped out a weapon and tried to kill him for his equipment.
Stormcat
Officer

« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2014, 03:23:53 pm »

Elizabeth barely had time to consider what persona to present to this man. Should she play damsel in distress to elicit sympathy? Better not, he had both a blade and a bullet pointed at her. She decided just to come clean. "I'm alright. I haven't been bitten of that's what you're worried about." An infected lunged at her, but she managed to shove her carving knife straight into it's brain. After the body fell, she retrieved her knife and flicked off the blood. He did not lower either of his weapons. "Seriously! I'm not infected! you can put those down!"
Steampunk Away
Zeppelin Captain

Long Live The Icarus!

« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2014, 03:38:40 pm »

Jebediah stumbled upon this scene and quickly pulled his two quickly pistols on the two unknowns.

"Who are you?"
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

rtafStElmo
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2014, 12:59:08 am »

you can put those down!"

"Not with his pointin' at me, I'm not," Bourne answered, switching his revolver to the side to point at the newcomer. "Now, ain't this fine?" he said, "Three people all tryin' ta get th' drop on each other. Not a lot o' trust going around, is there?" he chuckled. Second lieutenant Jeremiah Bourne, late of the Royal Air Marines, Unicorn's Battalion, formerly Sergeant Major Bourne of th' same, fresh from th' Piccadilly Relief Sortie. Far as I know I'm th' only survivor." His eyes swiveled from one to the other of his fellow stair-walkers. "An who might you two be?" he asked, warily.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2014, 01:02:01 am by MWBailey » Logged
Steampunk Away
Zeppelin Captain

Long Live The Icarus!

« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2014, 02:24:36 am »

"Jebediah Crux, leader of Le Loup Garous. French Quarter, Louisiana to Kansas City, Missouri. Renowned sharpshooter. Ain't nobody on this side of the Mississippi who can outshoot me. Came here a week back, looking for recruits. Reckoned I was the only survivor. But from my early recon I discovered a group of others heading out of the city, mostly on foot. About 15 streets down. You in for a little escape Little Lady and Big Man?"

Jebediah holsters his pistols and extends a hand to Elizabeth, sincerity in his movements.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2014, 03:18:52 am by Steampunk Away » Logged
Stormcat
Officer

« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2014, 02:33:30 am »

Elizabeth shook Jebediah's hand. "Elizabeth Von Brandt. Medium to London's elite. Even if you two aren't infected, it looks like I'm the last woman on earth so I expect to be treated like a lady. Still, I suppose I won't act like one if it means survival." The sounds of the infected's moans became louder, they had begun to climb the stairs. Elizabeth swung her sack of rations around and hit one of the infected squarely in the chest. Knocked down, she plunged her knife into it's skull with such intense fury the skull cracked. "Before we can escape this city, we have to get out of this building." The two men readied their weapons.
Steampunk Away
Zeppelin Captain

Long Live The Icarus!

« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2014, 03:23:04 am »

"I'll cover the stairs while you two scrounge for supplies. It shouldn't be too hard, as there is only room for two people," Jebediah slowly pulls his Bhuj from his sheath and cocks his guns, "Just tell me when you are done, so I don't stand here curing the entire city."

He turns towards the stairs and whips his Bhuj into the neck of an infected, slicing it clean off and taking the head off the one standing next to it.
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

rtafStElmo
« Reply #13 on: July 31, 2014, 07:19:31 am »

Bourne sheathed the Khukri and holstered his service revolver, albeit somewhat reluctantly. He kept his hand near the khukri's hilt, however; one could never tell with the infected.

"So you're suggestin' we throw in together?" He was somewhat wary, but pooling resources might not be a bad idea, on reflection. "Alright. Well, I suggest this floor first, then maybe we kin move up? Stayin' in one place in a place like this probably ain't too safe." By th' by, guns're nice, but bullets kinda have a way of runnin' out." He patted the sheathed khukri. "Blades tend to hold out a lot longer. Just a suggestion." he turned tio begin scrounging, and almost immediately spotted through an open door a mace displayed over the mantle of the fireplace of one of the  small apartments. He took it from its hooks, hefted it one or twice, then tossed it onto a nearby settee. "I don't wanna pack that around, too 'eavy."

He opened a drawer of a secretary cabinet that had seen better days, and extracted a rather dirty, pitted five-barrelled peppermill revolver, checked to see if it was loaded, and shoved it into his scrip. "Love to find a rifle or summat," he muttered. He moved on into what appeared to be a kitchen area, sniffing the contents of a couple of liquor bottles, one of which had been capped with a whittled wooden stopper. That one's petoleum smell made him wrinkle his nose and snort.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2014, 08:18:50 am by MWBailey » Logged
Steampunk Away
Zeppelin Captain

Long Live The Icarus!

« Reply #14 on: July 31, 2014, 03:01:49 pm »

"I would take the alcohol, for an explosive cocktail perhaps?"

He swung his Bhuj again, decapitating another undead, and shoved the body down the steps, tripping up the other ghouls.

"Might wanna hurry up!"

*swing, think, thud*
Stormcat
Officer

« Reply #15 on: July 31, 2014, 04:52:12 pm »

"I think we're good on weapons, but we'll need food!" Elizabeth's ration sack was feeling lighter than she remembered. She went straight into the kitchen and unloaded a cupboard full of tins. The added weight was still meager. "I think we've cleared this place out. Move up!"
Steampunk Away
Zeppelin Captain

Long Live The Icarus!

« Reply #16 on: July 31, 2014, 05:08:45 pm »

Jebediah  destroyed the staircase and moved to the top of the next staircase.

"That should hold them until they climb over each other...search quickly."
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

rtafStElmo
« Reply #17 on: August 01, 2014, 12:31:09 am »

Bourne ghosted up the stairs and topped out in hallway of doors. a mpoan came from the first door on the left, which stood ahar. Bourne risked a glance in side, and of all things saw a young male infected, leaning out of the apartment's single window and vocalizing to the outside world in general. He couldn't resist, and with a grin, ran quietly yup behind the infected and kicked him square in the posterior; the infected sailed out of the window, uttering am almost-ecstatic cry --which cut off in a whuff! of escaping breath and a wet thud as it hit the pavement far below.

"Sod you," Bourne muttered under his breath as he turned to what turned out to be the larder, and swung off his pack, opening it and shoving in the tins and boxes that he found there. Moving out and down the hall, he did the same in the next room (except for launching infected - the room was deserted). He stuck his head out to see what had become of Eliza...Elizabeth? Yeah, that was it. "where's she got to?" he muttered, hearing a definite chorus of infecteds moaning below. "Might want ter get a move on, sounds like we've a welcoming party downstairs!" he called out as he reshouldered the pack, drew the khukri and moved to rejoin Jebediah on the staircase.
Stormcat
Officer

« Reply #18 on: August 01, 2014, 01:59:36 am »

Someone had made a name for themselves in the slums here, how else could they have afforded such nice jewels? Elizabeth had found a small trinket box with a golden ring, pearl bracelet and a solid gold locket with the hair of a loved one in it. She quickly put them on and made off to where the men were waiting.

After regrouping, they made their way up to the next floor and the shabby apartments that lay therein.
Steampunk Away
Zeppelin Captain

Long Live The Icarus!

« Reply #19 on: August 01, 2014, 03:22:39 am »

"How far are the buildings from each other?"

*swing, thunk, thud*

Jebediah quickly fell to the floor as an infected grabbed his leg.

"AW NAW"

Jebediah pulled his pistol and blasted the ghoul in the face, causing a gunshot to ring through the entire slum. The remaining ghouls responded by being ripped into only a slightly faster moving frenzy, piling up upon each other slowly to try and reach the living on the next floor.

"Someone answer my question and clear this cursed floor already!"
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

rtafStElmo
« Reply #20 on: August 03, 2014, 05:10:04 am »

Bourne found, of all things, a Baker rifle in one of the rooms, with a full cartridge bandolier and powder horn, along with a saber and a pair of double-barrelled muzzleloading caplock pistols.

Hearing Jebediah's call for help, he jammed the pistols under his belt (he checked that they were capped, thus probably loaded, and  grabbed teh Baker and bandolier and charged back down the stairs, leaving the saber behind. As he reached Jebediah, he brought the butt of the rifle down on the arm of the hand that held the younger man's ankle, crushing the wrist, and causing the infected to howl and release its grip. He then muzzle-clubbed two others down, threw the rifle into a corner of the stairwell, and whipped out the two pistols, cocking them on his sleevecuffs as he did so and emptying the barrels into four other infected's faces. All went down, and he dropped the pistols,  grabbed the rifle, and dragged Jebediah a short distance up the steps to a position of relative safety. "You alright, kid?"

There was no time to check the kid for bites or wounds; Bourne reloaded the rifle, slammed the butt on the second floor landing step to ram the contents, and pointed the gun and shot; fortunately, the ball didn't roll out the end of the barrel, as he had seen happen a few times in the field. The comparatively huge powder load sent the ball through three of the damnedly persistent infected. He repeated the action twice, calling to Jebediah, "get ready! They'll be too close for shooting in a minute!" his words proved prophetic as he  Then clubbed a knot of the bastards down the stairs onto the ones below, and broke the gun on another that managed to dodge her falling fellows, and drew the khukri with a curse for the maker of the rifle, waiting for the next wave. The stench of burnt black powder stung his nose. You OK? looks like they might be having trouble getting past each other now, but they'll be up and tryin' again in a minute. You OK up there, Miss?" he called out. "We need ter be goin', might 'ave to take to th' rooftops." He looked down and saw the shattered rifle. "Damn! what I wouldn't give for me rifle I 'ad before."
Steampunk Away
Zeppelin Captain

Long Live The Icarus!

« Reply #21 on: August 03, 2014, 04:51:17 pm »

"Yea i'm good,"

he pulled out a lighter and a rag, "can i have a bottle of whiskey?"
Stormcat
Officer

« Reply #22 on: August 03, 2014, 07:40:36 pm »

Elizabeth offered the flask she had at her hip. "It's nothing good, but It should still warm you up."
Steampunk Away
Zeppelin Captain

Long Live The Icarus!

« Reply #23 on: August 03, 2014, 08:26:58 pm »

"Honey, I'm warming them up,"

Jebediah poured the whiskey into a nearby bottle and shoved the rag into it. He then flipped open the lighter and lit the rag on fire. He threw this cocktail at the pile of corpses on the second floor and it erupted into an inferno.

"To the roof!"
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

rtafStElmo
« Reply #24 on: August 03, 2014, 11:32:20 pm »

Bourne led the way to the tiny door at the top of the stairs. A knob-latch with a skeleton key lock adorned the left side of the four-panel door; the hinges indicated that it would open outwards, so Bourne turned and yanked on the knob, then again as the door refused to budge, though it sagged from the upper hinge. "Stand back," he said, as he spun the khukri around and slammed the wide inverted cone pommel at the latch. The rusty latchplate and the wood around it shattered, apparently rusted through and rotten, and the door swung out drunkenly, the upper hinge obviously broken at some point in the past. Bourne grabbed the remains of the door and ripped it away -- and out tumbled a fresh male corpse, dressed in relative masculine finery, a jeweled watch chain hanging from the waistcoat, and a bullet wound garishly evident in the right temple. A blued-steel derringer tumbled out on the rotten threshold.

"Poor dumb devil gave up," he snarled, and kicked pulled and shoved the corpse out of the way. "Withdraw if you 'ave to, attack in the other direction, but never surrender unless it serves a useful purpose for defeatin' the enemy. He didn't even try to put up a fight, looks like to me." He looked through the portal. Nothing lurked beyond, and there was a door at the far end of a low-ceilinged and rather small attic; the bottoms of roof tiles showed between the lath strips that covered the rafters. "Last place I was at, up the street, the roofs were only four foot apart," the erstwhile lieutenant said. "After you."
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: