The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
October 20, 2017, 07:09:10 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: "Infection: 1885" OOC and sign up  (Read 2166 times)
Stormcat
Officer
United States United States

Sir Whiskers, Lord High Mouser and Royal lapwarmer

« on: July 22, 2014, 03:03:59 am »

London is a wasteland, ravaged by a horrible plague which turns the living into man-eating monsters. Only we, the last human survivors stand against the uncountable hordes. We'll have to search for supplies, find shelter, and try to make it to the last shreds of civilization.

If you wish to join me in this fight for survival, you'll need to fill out this character bio right here you can include a backstory if you wish. We can start as soon as we have at least four players.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Stormcat
Officer

« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2014, 03:17:23 am »

Name: Elizabeth Von Brandt

Skills: Decent seamstress, very good at finding supplies, Enhanced agility, lock-picking and safe-cracking, also a gifted storyteller.

Items: a set of lock picks, various jewelry picked up from corpses, hip flask filled with whiskey, large carving knife, and a sack containing rations for about three days. She is dressed in a modest blue dress that has been torn at the seams to allow easier movement.

Born to German immigrant parents, Elizabeth was taught by her grandmother how to converse with spirits. While dear granny thought she was teaching her how to put spirits at ease, Elizabeth didn't believe in any of that "spiritual" nonsense. However, Elizabeth soon realized that many people would pay for a medium's services. Past clients included the wealthy and elite, even Princess Beatrice asked for her help after a beloved pet passed away. By charging exorbitant prices, she was able to foster an air of finery and she used her beauty to "convince" many a young man to heap her with lavish gifts. After a scandal which nearly exposed her as a fraud, her parents sent her to live in a convent in the suburbs of london in an effort to minimize the damage done to their reputations.

The sisters there cared for the sick and dying, but one day a man who came to the convent for aid suddenly died... then came back to life and bit one of the sisters. Elizabeth had been locked in the confessional as punishment for stealing a jeweled crucifix from the chapel, and as a result, she was protected from the dead's rampage. She managed to kick the door open when she heard the commotion outside and was able to make her way to the kitchen, where she then procured her carving knife and slashed her way to freedom. Elizabeth has been taking shelter in an abandoned carriage, but was recently forced out after it caught fire. Now she's wandering the streets looking for anyone who might be left.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2014, 11:24:16 pm by Stormcat » Logged
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

"This is the sort of thing no-one ever believes"

rtafStElmo
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2014, 06:40:56 am »

Name: Jeremiah Bourne

Occupation: Royal Air Service Intelligence operative/Royal Air Marines, Reconnaisance, The Unicorn's Battallion. Rank: Lieutenant, recently raised from Sergeant-Major When his Company's officer had to be  put out of his infected misery.

Skills: sword, cutlass, rifle, pistol, Khukri, baton or anything that could be called a cudgel or sword. Fighting, usually very dirty, with weapons or hand-to-hand. Explosives and artillery including the new Maxim guns and gelignite, also making explosives from 'unconventional' materials. Was raised by a blacksmith, so knows basic smithing. Like most smiths, can sew about well enough to fasten a button, sew on stripes, make horsetack, etc. Does not carry sewing supplies, as is definitely not a tailor type. adhgerent of the belief that anything and everything is or can be a weapon.

Items:
Weaponry
Standard .454 Service revolver on right hip
twenty rounds of ammunition for revolver, scrounged from corpses and accoutrements dropped by panicked and now deceased or infected soldiers
Mid-length khukri worn on left hip, award earned during a tour in India; not quite sword length, but longer than standard knife dimensions (say about a twenty inch blade more or less).
Clothing
Wears the (very dirty) uniform he had when his unit was overwhelmed and separated:
standard Royal Air Marines Unicorns Battalion red shell coat with unicorn horn embroidery on cuffs and collar
black trews with white-and-buff piping on outer leg seams
pants legs tucked into blacked knee-height airman's lace-up cleated boots
standard dark blue linen-wrapped steel helmet in pith style with a very dented and filthy Unicorns insignia boss in silver and sable.

much-patched and damaged brown cowhide backpack with
two canteens of clean water
one metal flask of barely-drinkable alcohol beverage
forty ells of sisal rope
longterm field rations (hardtack bread, hard sausage, tin of salt beef) for one week if used extremely spartanly (two days if gluttony sets in)
one square meter of cotton cloth for water filterage
one very torn and patched wool blanket
about twenty pounds ten shillings, left over from savings
small Korean 1-5 soroban abacus, a memento of his father.
-----------------
Bourne's unit was routed and annihilated by a massive wave of infected Londoners in the Piccadilly Breakout, an ill-led attempt to escape encirclement by the monsters and rescue alleged (and illusory) survivors among the citizenry in the area. Even the aerial men-of war dispatched to teh secene were dragged down by the infected masses when they dropped down to try to pick up the beleaguered soldiers. Bourne escaped by ducking into the ancient sewers and following an old roman viaduct he knew of from his childhood, into and through a subway chute, back into the sewers, and back up again into the city's back ways, slashing the occasional monster, cutting through houses with doors gaping open, and finally coming out again in Hyde Park, where he managed to climb an ancient oak and tie himself into its upper branches. Since then he has been living rough, finding high places to sleep and camp, and lighting fires only when necessary for warmth or boiling suspicious water.

Walk softly and carry a big banjo...

""quid statis aspicientes in infernum"
Steampunk Away
Zeppelin Captain

Long Live The Icarus!

https://twitter.com/Steam
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2014, 05:00:21 pm »

Name: Jebediah Crux

Skills: Sharpshooting, Trap Setting, Overproduction of Adrenaline Allowing for decreased pain reception

Items: Twin Cooper Under-Hammer Pistols, Single Colt Second Model Dragoon Revolver, Indian Bhuj Spear, Kukri Knife. Long Leather Frock Coat, Red Bandana and Sash, Leather Boots, Small Hat, Holsters and Chest Bandolier, Sheath on Belt and Bandolier.

Jebediah was an American Bandit who made for London after acquiring a mighty bounty. Having managed to flee the authorities, he found himself face-to-face with a much greater danger, The Walking Plague. Having only heard rumors at saloons he quickly came to know that they were not rumors, they were reality. Having survived a week in London, Jebediah decided to join up with a group of survivors, the only known humans in London.

Welcome aboard Steampunk Away! We are a small custom order shop, creating jewelry, props, costumes, drawings, and models. Email us at steampunkaway@gmail.com to have us create your special order on commission! Have a mechanical day!
steamcowboy92
Snr. Officer

I work for money. You want loyalty get a dog.

« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2014, 09:30:54 pm »

Name:James

Skills: pickpocketing, lock picking, surgical training, fraud, pugilism, brutality, knife work, medical knowledge

Items: stark black and white formal clothes, long black surgeons knife, medical bag, Beumont Adams 54 bore (.442) revolver, lock picks, knuckles, truncheon, cigar case, assorted bottles, wide brimmed hat,
« Last Edit: August 10, 2014, 05:43:25 pm by steamcowboy92 » Logged

I will kill you however I can , wherever I can, with whatever I have. You will regret ever making me decide to take action. -William W. Johnstone.
Stormcat
Officer

« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2014, 11:33:17 pm »

Excellent! we've got four players So let's begin!
Stormcat
Officer

« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2014, 11:38:42 pm »

Skills: pickpocketing, lock picking, surgical training, fraud, pugilism, brutality, knife work, medical knowledge

Items: stark black and white formal clothes, long black surgeons knife, medical bag, Webley Mk VI service revolver, lock picks, knuckles, truncheon, cigar case, assorted bottles, wide brimmed hat,

Dosen't James here have a surname?
steamcowboy92
Snr. Officer

« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2014, 03:17:22 am »

Items: stark black and white formal clothes, long black surgeons knife, medical bag, Webley Mk VI service revolver, lock picks, knuckles, truncheon, cigar case, assorted bottles, wide brimmed hat,

Dosen't James here have a surname?

Oops i thought i typed it. James Kelly
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

rtafStElmo
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2014, 07:44:22 pm »

Mom's in hospital for a platelet problem (affects ability to clot blood, so it's pretty serious), touch and go until they decide she's OK to come home, then have to take care of her at home, so I might be slow in posting.
Stormcat
Officer

« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2014, 11:09:49 pm »

Mom's in hospital for a platelet problem (affects ability to clot blood, so it's pretty serious), touch and go until they decide she's OK to come home, then have to take care of her at home, so I might be slow in posting.

Sorry to hear that. Hope your mom gets better soon!
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

rtafStElmo
« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2014, 11:50:56 pm »

Thanks! Please don't let me slow things down.
T.Taylor the Third
Zeppelin Admiral

A Crazy man

thethirdtea
« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2014, 08:24:10 pm »

Okay so looking at it it seems a bit free form which is fine, what im wondering is what is the technology level that is acceptable? any idea what caused the ghoul/zombies? I have two characters in mind that could work depending on such things. if its anything goes then the first would be a stranded Jumper (wich is to say a man from another Dimension,likely the son of my charicter from the steam London Game.) If its more based in reality...head to the museum.

-“I warn you, if you bore me, I shall take my revenge.”
Stormcat
Officer

« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2014, 09:23:05 pm »

Well, the infection was caused by a rabies-like virus. I chose "1885" because that's the year Louis Pasteur invented a rabies vaccine. Right now it seems it's a couple of months late to be of any real help.

I'll allow ray guns, airships and whatnot, but I'd like to keep this more grounded in reality for drama's sake.
Steampunk Away
Zeppelin Captain

Long Live The Icarus!

https://twitter.com/Steam
« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2014, 11:13:26 pm »

I was going to say no trans-dimensional, no virus mutation, and no cult reason or paranormal reason. Humans are only sentient race.
Stormcat
Officer

« Reply #14 on: July 31, 2014, 12:15:17 am »

I was going to say no trans-dimensional, no virus mutation, and no cult reason or paranormal reason. Humans are only sentient race.

and no mutated zombies either. Just your regular mob o'infected. No tanks (phew!) no boomers, no hunters and no witches (also phew!)
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

rtafStElmo
« Reply #15 on: July 31, 2014, 06:57:08 am »

Sounds good to me.
Stormcat
Officer

« Reply #16 on: August 05, 2014, 05:01:04 am »

Hey! where's steamcowboy92?
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

rtafStElmo
« Reply #17 on: August 05, 2014, 09:22:57 am »

Not sure, I think he does something pertaining to school or some such, or maybe he's working. In any case, It's back-to-school time here in the states for both college and secondary-level folks.
Prof. Isambard Ravenwood
Snr. Officer
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Paddle faster, I hear Banjos...

« Reply #18 on: August 05, 2014, 08:45:45 pm »

hey, can anyone join this party? or is it invites only...

I don't know why I have to learn algebra... I have no intention whatsoever of ever going there...

"Uh-uh. I know what you're thinking. Did he discharge 6 chambers, or was it only 5? Well, I rather forgot myself, what with all this excitement and all. But seeing that this is a .45 Civiliser, the most powerful hand-cannon in the Empire, and will blow your goggles clean off, you ought to ask yourself a question. Do I feel lucky?

"Well, do you... steampunk?"
Stormcat
Officer

« Reply #19 on: August 05, 2014, 11:52:19 pm »

hey, can anyone join this party? or is it invites only...

Sure you can! just fill out the character sheet in the first post.
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

rtafStElmo
« Reply #20 on: August 07, 2014, 02:15:43 am »

The crippled airship can be just a bit of scenery if you like. I just thought it might be plausible and interesting for it to be limping about.
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

rtafStElmo
« Reply #21 on: August 08, 2014, 02:30:50 pm »

Bourne is acting in character (not as a conduit for my personal feelings). Neither he nor I are trying to take over or cause a power struggle.

Sorry for the double post.
steamcowboy92
Snr. Officer

« Reply #22 on: August 10, 2014, 04:52:12 pm »

Sorry, work and school caught up to me. Im all in now though
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

rtafStElmo
« Reply #23 on: August 11, 2014, 07:14:55 pm »

I'm having doctors' appointments and related shi er, stuff today. Hopefully able to post tonight or tomorrow. I hope.
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

rtafStElmo
« Reply #24 on: August 12, 2014, 06:46:33 am »

Finishing old meds and starting new ones (appetite suppressants), so I'm feeling pretty sick right mow. go ahead and post if you want, I'll catch up when I'm better (hopefully only 1-2 days).
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: