The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
October 19, 2017, 02:01:19 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Support BrassGoggles! Donate once or $3/mo.
 See details here.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Faux garter gun - Pics  (Read 942 times)
steelhips
Snr. Officer
Australia Australia

« on: July 20, 2014, 06:27:22 pm »

I just finished my first small handgun.  The downside to this piece is it's too big to be jewellery but too small (and fragile) to be a prop.  So it's awkwardly in the middle.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

The laser cut wood filigree was way too fragile.  I think it's intended use was scrapbooking.  So I had to reinforce it with a brass plate on one side.  It would have been better sandwiched between the 2 layers of wood but the wood had already set.  Yes - that is a mercury tilt switch above the breech. 

Does anybody know where I can get laser cut wood hand grips that are not too expensive?
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord
United States United States

"This is the sort of thing no-one ever believes"

rtafStElmo
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2014, 08:31:33 pm »

I don't know, lots of the so-called "muff" pistols and other hideouts were pretty danged tiny, some were smaller than your little deadly there. The idea was not so much to kill an assailant, as to incapacitate them so that one could escape. Yours looks ominously similar in size and possibly function to Will Smith's teensy hand ray cannon from Men in Black.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2014, 10:45:45 pm by MWBailey » Logged

Walk softly and carry a big banjo...

""quid statis aspicientes in infernum"
Maets
Immortal

Gravatar

Airship Builder

« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2014, 02:54:35 am »

What if you used a clear resin to encapsulate the wood?

steelhips
Snr. Officer
Australia Australia

« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2014, 06:34:39 am »

I don't know, lots of the so-called "muff" pistols and other hideouts were pretty danged tiny, some were smaller than your little deadly there. The idea was not so much to kill an assailant, as to incapacitate them so that one could escape. Yours looks ominously similar in size and possibly function to Will Smith's teensy hand ray cannon from Men in Black.

Ooo - I liked that little gun - thanks for that MW.

What if you used a clear resin to encapsulate the wood?

That is a good idea Maets - I'll try that with the other parts I have left over.
Otto Von Pifka
Zeppelin Admiral

goggles? they're here somewhere.....

« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2014, 03:25:45 am »

embed a fairy meat figurine (google it) in amber colored epoxy, maybe even with real bug wings. have all sorts of wires and electrodes coming from the body, like its pixie dust powered.

everybody wins, except the pixie.
Drew P
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2014, 04:38:18 am »

Tight and clean! Smiley
Maybe do a cut-out in the brass and a signature on the back?

I just used some laser cut filigree wood in a piece and, yes, fairly difficult to secure it to anything without looking shoddy.

Never ask 'Why?'
Always ask 'Why not!?'
Kevin C Cooper Esq
Zeppelin Captain
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Asymetry is the bane of my life

« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2014, 09:26:11 am »

Very pretty, a fine accoutrement and deterent. Easily worn around the neck wich should discourage unwanted attention from cads and bounders. If not a shot in the eye should do the trick!

Miranda.T
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2014, 02:02:23 pm »

I just finished my first small handgun.  The downside to this piece is it's too big to be jewellery but too small (and fragile) to be a prop.  So it's awkwardly in the middle.
(Snip)
That is a beautiful object, and needs to be seen! As an alternative to a necklace, could a backing be made to mount the weapon as a broach, but which would allow it to be quickly detached in times of dire need, possibly using neodymium magnets?

Yours,
Miranda.
Rory B Esq BSc
Snr. Officer

« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2014, 07:19:29 pm »

There used to be guns that were loaded with a single pistol size percussion cap, a local inventor and engineer, Ken Wallis, built a working revolver about the same size as some of the toy 'spud guns'. He also built and flew the autogyro in the bond film.

It could of course be an 'apprentice piece' made to show their skill at the completion of their apprenticeship, It shows your skill so that's an authentic 'back story' for it.
steelhips
Snr. Officer
Australia Australia

« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2014, 07:35:31 pm »

embed a fairy meat figurine (google it) in amber colored epoxy, maybe even with real bug wings. have all sorts of wires and electrodes coming from the body, like its pixie dust powered.

everybody wins, except the pixie.

Funny you suggested that Otto - what seems like a lifetime ago I was making dead fairies.  I had one killed in a mouse trap, one that fried after touching an insect zapper, another poisoned with ratsack and another who splattered on to a car windscreen.  They even came with a cause of death certificate.  I had a lot of fun making those fairies.

Tight and clean! Smiley
Maybe do a cut-out in the brass and a signature on the back?

I just used some laser cut filigree wood in a piece and, yes, fairly difficult to secure it to anything without looking shoddy.

Got to get me a good fret saw.  Added to the list.  As far as modeling - I'm getting dental implants soon so I may not be as camera shy as I am now.  It's costing a lot of money!

I just finished my first small handgun.  The downside to this piece is it's too big to be jewellery but too small (and fragile) to be a prop.  So it's awkwardly in the middle.
(Snip)
That is a beautiful object, and needs to be seen! As an alternative to a necklace, could a backing be made to mount the weapon as a broach, but which would allow it to be quickly detached in times of dire need, possibly using neodymium magnets?

Yours,
Miranda.

Thank you Miranda - that's a great idea.  I've got the magnets.  I'll do some experiments.

There used to be guns that were loaded with a single pistol size percussion cap, a local inventor and engineer, Ken Wallis, built a working revolver about the same size as some of the toy 'spud guns'. He also built and flew the autogyro in the bond film.

It could of course be an 'apprentice piece' made to show their skill at the completion of their apprenticeship, It shows your skill so that's an authentic 'back story' for it.

I drool at gorgeous apprentice pieces on Antique Roadshow and Bargain Hunt.  Thanks for that Rory.
Drew P
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2014, 03:11:54 am »

Or a leg shot. Hmmmm? Tied neatly around the calf?

Grin
Thomas MSwift
Officer

@AdmiralSwift
« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2014, 04:52:04 am »

You might check with Bluejacket Shipcrafters in Maine, USA...their last catalogue featured a nice selection of laser-cut ship pieces and also said they do custom work lasercutting.

"The realm between planets is filled with the luminiferous ether."
Otto Von Pifka
Zeppelin Admiral

goggles? they're here somewhere.....

« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2014, 07:45:02 am »

you MADE dead fairies?!? <SWOON>

oh my dear, lucky for you you're half the world away...I suddenly have the urge to rub up against you!
in a um, err, strictly platonic way?
whew...  is it hot in here?  Grin

I don't suppose you have any pictures of the dead fairies?

you can just leave them in a plain brown bag around by my back door, after dark.  Wink

oooh, there's an idea! dead fairy splat stickers for the car windshield!

I'd buy THAT for a buck!
steelhips
Snr. Officer
Australia Australia

« Reply #13 on: July 26, 2014, 03:31:34 pm »

you MADE dead fairies?!? <SWOON>

oh my dear, lucky for you you're half the world away...I suddenly have the urge to rub up against you!
in a um, err, strictly platonic way?
whew...  is it hot in here?  Grin

I don't suppose you have any pictures of the dead fairies?

you can just leave them in a plain brown bag around by my back door, after dark.  Wink

oooh, there's an idea! dead fairy splat stickers for the car windshield!

I'd buy THAT for a buck!

You are very welcome Sir! Rub away!  I'm toying with the idea of making a few more.  I even mocked up medical ER paperwork with a fairy body outline documenting where their catastrophic injuries were.  The windscreen splatter version used a whole bottle of red nail polish.  Unfortunately I haven't kept any photos of the originals (it was in the late 90s) but I'll let you know if I start making them again.  Do fairies accidentally wander into microwaves?

I think the trick to it would be more humour than horror. 

Rory B Esq BSc
Snr. Officer

« Reply #14 on: July 27, 2014, 03:12:55 pm »

The only good fairy is a dead fairy....
They steal children or lure men into their realm to use them to gratify their 'desires'.
Will Howard
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #15 on: July 27, 2014, 07:06:08 pm »

Nice gun... BUT is it a faux gun for a garter, or a real gun for a faux garter?

"I'm a Barbarian by choice, not ancestry..."
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: