The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
October 18, 2017, 04:55:55 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Support BrassGoggles! Donate once or $3/mo.
 See details here.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: How often do you dress Steampunk?  (Read 2411 times)
Abracabella
Deck Hand
United Kingdom United Kingdom

All stars are there to shine!

« Reply #25 on: July 20, 2014, 08:41:49 pm »

I bought a new boater today, with a black ribbon. I wore it with my goggles, black waistcoat, striped dress, petticoat and black boots. There was even a Steampunk stall at our local river festival - I was impressed by this! A few people said I looked 'great' - made me even more sure of the importance of wearing Steampunk to any event!

Cogs and wheels and sprockets and springs
Metal and leather and beautiful things
Brass sculpted treasures, copper and lead
Your ideas are alive, though your century's dead

Arabella Periscope
Zeppelin Captain
United States United States

Edwardian summer

« Reply #26 on: July 20, 2014, 09:02:01 pm »

I am partial to the word REGATTA  - it is evocative  has a ring to it.  

JUBILEE, FLOTILLA,   RENDEZVOUS, AVANT GARDE, SERENDIPITY & LIBERTY are others redolent  with  having a DAMN GOOD TIME

and the VICTORY ROLL has so many permutation

All lovely words!  I quite like WATER PICNIC and SON ET LUMIERE (can't do the accents) and EXHIBITION but they have to be attended by people who are out to have a DAMN GOOD TIME!  People in Steampunk dress.

I'd like to see a picture of the river festival outfit with the new boater and the striped dress -- it is never too hot for a boater!

Kenneth: 'If you're so hot, you can tell me how to say she has ideas above her station.'
Brian:'Oh yes, I forgot. It's fairly easy, old boy.
Elle a des idees au-dessus de sa gare.'
Kenneth: 'Idiot.  It's not that kind of station.'

Terence Rattigan 'French Without Tears.'
Hurricane Annie
Zeppelin Captain
New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #27 on: July 21, 2014, 03:53:38 am »

SON ET LUMIERE is  now up there  with BELLE EPOCHE, INDOCHINE and  COUP D 'ETAT
Abracabella
Deck Hand

« Reply #28 on: July 22, 2014, 01:07:30 pm »

As promised, images in my 'everyday' Steampunk outfit. I wore my favourite hat today as I was performing magic to 140 children at a school. My friend took these photos, but I am a bit embarrassed as they are so 'posy'...

Hope you like.

Arabella Periscope
Zeppelin Captain

Edwardian summer

« Reply #29 on: July 23, 2014, 03:48:35 am »

Thanks for sharing the photos of the outfit -- that is a perfect example of incorporating Steampunk elements into everyday wear.  It looks marvelous.  You should get on over to the Pin-up thread!
Prof Thadeus Q. Wychlock
Zeppelin Admiral

What Watt ?!

« Reply #30 on: July 30, 2014, 10:22:11 pm »

Not as often as I'd like to !!  Sad

"In a world whose only quarrel with instant gratification is that it takes too long, we are practitioners of a dying art: patience."
Sludge Van Diesel
Zeppelin Captain
England England

SteampunkDJ.co.uk

« Reply #31 on: July 31, 2014, 01:30:54 am »

To illustrate my earlier point about being semi-steam most of the time

Working (non-SP event)

DJ meets

Feeding the cat

Better to study for one hour with the wise, than to drink wine with the foolish

www.steampunkdj.co.uk  Please follow me on Twitter https://twitter.com/SteampunkDJ & Facebook https://www.facebook.com/steampunkdj
MarcusJuliusCroft
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

« Reply #32 on: July 31, 2014, 03:03:58 am »

Working (non-SP event)

DJ meets

Feeding the cat

Sludge, you should be in a Rock band, Wink

I am what I am because I am, an Entrepreneur, Villain, Student and Mastermind
Sludge Van Diesel
Zeppelin Captain
England England

SteampunkDJ.co.uk

« Reply #33 on: July 31, 2014, 08:29:01 am »

Working (non-SP event)

DJ meets

Feeding the cat

Sludge, you should be in a Rock band, Wink

I was (Sludgepuppy)

Our old guitarist Ben (middle in the top pic, far right middle, far left bottom) is doing OK for himself,  he's now in Carcass
« Last Edit: July 31, 2014, 08:32:55 am by Sludge Van Diesel » Logged
MarcusJuliusCroft
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

« Reply #34 on: July 31, 2014, 08:37:51 am »

Those great people who live among the normal... Sludge you have style, you have manliness, you have rock.  Oh and I hope your friend has changed his shirt he looks rather misfiting in the rest of you.
Sludge Van Diesel
Zeppelin Captain
England England

SteampunkDJ.co.uk

« Reply #35 on: July 31, 2014, 12:46:10 pm »

Those great people who live among the normal... Sludge you have style, you have manliness, you have rock.  Oh and I hope your friend has changed his shirt he looks rather misfiting in the rest of you.
All those shirts have long since hit the bins.

I've still got the jacket though, you never know when it'll come in handy.
MarcusJuliusCroft
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

« Reply #36 on: August 02, 2014, 09:54:35 am »

As for myself, I rarely dress steampunk unless at a party or an event.  Mainly I dress neat casual with jacket, sweater and jeans.  This is just because, I like to be un=noticable and fit in with the crowd, due to the fact that I spend a large amount of time dashing round the city in cafes and restaurants.(I am that fellow with the coffee and large newspaper and sunglasses sitting on the corner seat)  I don't really have a problem with it, it is just it I like to keep it out of day to day wear.  Wear it too often and it feels overused.
Abracabella
Deck Hand

« Reply #37 on: August 02, 2014, 05:04:29 pm »

This is a photo of my best friend and I at a punk rock gig last night! I seemed to be the 'enigma' of the evening as nobody really knew what I was! I did get loads of nice comments, though, so obviously people like the look!

I am still surprised at how little people know about Steampunk! I was asked - by an inquisitive punk-rocker - what bands I listen to, and I listed the obvious ones people on here would know. He hadn't heard of any, even though he admitted he spends hours searching for new bands. At a punk rock gig, I was pretty surprised to be the 'odd one out'...

Anyways, I am actually quite glad we are still a mystery! That is what makes this genre so beautiful!

SeVeNeVeS
Immortal
England England

« Reply #38 on: August 03, 2014, 10:53:21 am »

After seeing the good Mr Van Diesel, I may have to retract the statement in my previous post.

If Grandad shirts, waistcoats, leather jeans and brown docs are acceptable, then when not at work, I dress Steampunk pretty much most of the time it seems, there ya go.......

Must buy meself a suitable hat methinks.  Wink

~SeVeN~

Edit typo  Roll Eyes
« Last Edit: August 03, 2014, 11:07:05 am by SeVeNeVeS » Logged

Abracabella
Deck Hand

« Reply #39 on: August 03, 2014, 04:01:42 pm »

After seeing the good Mr Van Diesel, I may have to retract the statement in my previous post.

If Grandad shirts, waistcoats, leather jeans and brown docs are acceptable, then when not at work, I dress Steampunk pretty much most of the time it seems, there ya go.......

~SeVeN~

Edit typo  Roll Eyes

That, my friend, is style! Hats are cool - full stop !
von Corax
Squire of the Lambda Calculus
Board Moderator
Immortal
Canada Canada

Prof. Darwin Prætorius von Corax

« Reply #40 on: August 04, 2014, 02:45:47 am »

~SeVeN~

Edit typo  Roll Eyes

Not around these parts, they ain't — city folk wear sports caps, country folk wear seed caps, old folk wear Tilleys. Damn, what I wouldn't give to find a decent hatter!

By the power of caffeine do I set my mind in motion
By the Beans of Life do my thoughts acquire speed
My hands acquire a shaking
The shaking becomes a warning
By the power of caffeine do I set my mind in motion
The Leverkusen Institute of Paleocybernetics is 5838 km from Reading
Abracabella
Deck Hand

« Reply #41 on: August 04, 2014, 02:28:28 pm »

~SeVeN~

Edit typo  Roll Eyes

Not around these parts, they ain't — city folk wear sports caps, country folk wear seed caps, old folk wear Tilleys. Damn, what I wouldn't give to find a decent hatter!

New styles must originate from somewhere - go forth and spread the golden message of 'hat'...
Vagabond GentleMan
Zeppelin Captain

Clockwork Sepia

« Reply #42 on: August 30, 2014, 07:49:20 pm »

More or less Full Steam everyday...sorta.  Lifestyle Bohemian, so full-time weirdo at least, and casual observation from a casual observer seems to be read: "Steampunk", though defining self is generally more complicated, even with something as on-the-surface as styletribe.

Odd story, though: I was at a con awhile back and a street-clothes dressed feller come up lookin' at me and says: "Steampunk?"
Well, not my favorite introduction, but I'm courteous, and con folk are often socially...um, 'differently abled' or something.
So I respond: "Well, something like that, I s'pose!" with a big friendly grin on my face, fully expecting to engage in conversation.

...but he kinda stomped off grumbling under his breath Popeye-stylee something along the lines of: "Well you LOOK like a Steampunk, you blah blah mean guy..."

Huh

>shrugs<

Well that wolf has a dimber bonebox, and he'll flash it all milky and red.  But you won't see our Red Jack's spit, nug, cuz he's pinked ya, and yer dead.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: